Author Topic: Who deleted the Nakel threadP  (Read 31817 times)

Lenny the Fatface

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
Re: Who deleted the Nakel threadP
« Reply #240 on: January 22, 2020, 12:09:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
When it comes to Adidas/Supreme, does anyone's shop/clothing sponsor pay anyone more than their corporate shoe sponsor? You gotta think a pro-shoe with a company like Adidas pays more. I know some guys make a fortune off Volcom, but you still gotta think Grant and Louie are getting more from Cons and Nike respectively.
[close]

Thing is Supreme is a billion dollar company with less than 250 employees, riders and retail included.  So there's room for some crazy salaries.

Edit - guy above is basically saying the same thing, my bad.
[close]
Companies don't become billion-dollar companies overpaying people because they can. Companies can also be highly valued based on speculation, and not revenue. Part of Supreme's valuation seems based on the idea of expanding the brand, given how few actual retail locations it has.

While I agree with this to an extent, you might be downplaying the ridiculous margins and relatively low operation costs the company probably has. Generally speaking, companies that aren't big in employee size but makes bank hooks the people up. But you usually don't see too many small companies have this type of success outside of videogame studios or tech startups so who knows.

Also a lot of the "Supreme probably pays more than Adidas" crowd is basing it off that one New York dude who said he was making 100k from managing the Lafayette store in the late 90s when it was still just a wigger brand. Preme jumped in popularity in 2006 (Nike Blazer collab), 2011 (that Odd Future bullshit), and in 2016-17 (Louis Vuitton collab). Usually companies that aren't publicly traded pay their employees more when they have that kind of growth. But again, who the fuck knows.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:10:54 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #241 on: January 22, 2020, 12:12:41 PM »
The skaters deserve to get paid for filming for supreme videos. Besides that, you can't argue that supreme gives you more exposure/ relevancy than any other brand these days.  Even if they barely pay you, supreme makes you more relevant than any other brand which makes it easy to get high paying sponsors.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
« Reply #242 on: January 22, 2020, 12:14:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
BA was getting 5k a month from them for doing not a whole hell of a lot, this is a few years ago at this point
[close]
the employees make around 100-120k a year
[close]

maybe the managers do, but regular employees don't. it's more or less another retail job.

[close]

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. You can look at some of the insta pages and tell that these dudes aren’t doing too bad. There’s one guy who only skates in deadstock Jordans lol.

the wavey dada is sponsored by Jordan Brand

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #243 on: January 22, 2020, 12:27:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
When it comes to Adidas/Supreme, does anyone's shop/clothing sponsor pay anyone more than their corporate shoe sponsor? You gotta think a pro-shoe with a company like Adidas pays more. I know some guys make a fortune off Volcom, but you still gotta think Grant and Louie are getting more from Cons and Nike respectively.
[close]

Thing is Supreme is a billion dollar company with less than 250 employees, riders and retail included.  So there's room for some crazy salaries.

[close]
Companies don't become billion-dollar companies overpaying people because they can. Companies can also be highly valued based on speculation, and not revenue. Part of Supreme's valuation seems based on the idea of expanding the brand, given how few actual retail locations it has.
[close]

While I agree with this to an extent, you might be downplaying the ridiculous margins and relatively low operation costs the company probably has. Generally speaking, companies that aren't big in employee size but makes bank hooks the people up. But you usually don't see too many small companies have this type of success outside of videogame studios or tech startups so who knows.

Also a lot of the "Supreme probably pays more than Adidas" crowd is basing it off that one New York dude who said he was making 100k from managing the Lafayette store in the late 90s when it was still just a wigger brand. Preme jumped in popularity in 2006 (Nike Blazer collab), 2011 (that Odd Future bullshit), and in 2016-17 (Louis Vuitton collab). Usually companies that aren't publicly traded pay their employees more when they have that kind of growth. But again, who the fuck knows.
Generally, in situations similar to Supreme with small brands that blow-up (such as tech-startups or video game studios), you get some pay/bonuses in equity, which I've never heard of Supreme doing.

The big thing with Supreme's valuation is that the Carlyle Group money appears to be a cash-infusion with the idea of expanding the brand. They've doubled their amount of NA stores since (SF and Brooklyn) and have opened a significantly bigger store to replace the original location. Just prior to the investment they opened up Supreme Paris. Prior to that they just had NYC, LA, London and the 6 Japan stores. Due to the exclusivity that makes Supreme a desired product, they obviously have to be insanely careful on the roll-out of new stores, but you have to think they are going to slowly roll out more and more stores in desired locations. We probably aren't far off from Supreme Miami, Supreme Shanghai, Supreme Chicago, etc. Reading what was written at the time of the valuation of Supreme, it seemed heavily speculative on the growth of revenues, and not what it was currently delivering.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #244 on: January 22, 2020, 12:38:37 PM »
I'm sure they'll open more stores.  A supreme store on South Beach would ship extremely well.

Xenu Berra

• Rep: -2
Re: Who deletede the Nakel threadP
« Reply #245 on: January 22, 2020, 02:42:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2020, 02:45:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
BA was getting 5k a month from them for doing not a whole hell of a lot, this is a few years ago at this point
[close]

There's no way this is true. I think it was Alex Olson (?) who said he wasn't paid by Supreme and that he didn't really "ride for them" - and this was around the time Cherry came out when he was and had been featured in a lot of their footage and wore Supreme tees in Bill's clips and interviews. 

I would be surprised if the kids didn't start to get paid before starting to film for Cherry and after it came out and all that but I don't see them getting any big checks now either. Didn't Girl pay 2k base salary (+royalties) for their riders all those years, for example?
[close]

I have no idea how much they pay, but Supreme is a billion dollar company, so not really comparable with Girl in any way.

In the end, companies exist to generate some sort of value and hard cash. They won't pay employees more just because they have more money - they pay more money when they need the employee to generate value and to keep them. No company is indestructible and they all know that.

My logic was:

- Supreme's value would still be huge/barely budge even if they switched out most riders.

- Girl's value went down like 9/10 when they lost theirs. 

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #247 on: January 22, 2020, 03:13:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

There's no way this is true. I think it was Alex Olson (?) who said he wasn't paid by Supreme and that he didn't really "ride for them" - and this was around the time Cherry came out when he was and had been featured in a lot of their footage and wore Supreme tees in Bill's clips and interviews. 

I would be surprised if the kids didn't start to get paid before starting to film for Cherry and after it came out and all that but I don't see them getting any big checks now either. Didn't Girl pay 2k base salary (+royalties) for their riders all those years, for example?
[close]

I have no idea how much they pay, but Supreme is a billion dollar company, so not really comparable with Girl in any way.
[close]

In the end, companies exist to generate some sort of value and hard cash. They won't pay employees more just because they have more money - they pay more money when they need the employee to generate value and to keep them. No company is indestructible and they all know that.

My logic was:

- Supreme's value would still be huge/barely budge even if they switched out most riders.

- Girl's value went down like 9/10 when they lost theirs.

Makes sense because Supremes target market is not skaters. Most people buying supreme don't even know who Aiden is. Where Crails market is only skaters. Never seen a nonskater wearing Crail in the wild. Never seen a skater wear supreme in the wild.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #248 on: January 22, 2020, 05:41:16 PM »
Bam, Nakel, TK, and now even Slash...what is going on in skateboarding?

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2020, 09:07:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got no idea what companies are paying now but this seems low for the time period. Or maybe crail was just the jacked?
For instance.. Sal's early-90's minimum was $2.5k and he said he always made more. Fabre was getting $1.5k as an am..

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #250 on: January 22, 2020, 10:44:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I got no idea what companies are paying now but this seems low for the time period. Or maybe crail was just the jacked?
For instance.. Sal's early-90's minimum was $2.5k and he said he always made more. Fabre was getting $1.5k as an am..
Depends on the era. Around Pretty Sweet those numbers don't seem out of line. I think the really huge board checks stopped post 9/11 (and the recession that followed). I feel I've heard the Habitat/Alien guys mention this a few places.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #251 on: January 22, 2020, 10:49:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Depends on the era. Around Pretty Sweet those numbers don't seem out of line. I think the really huge board checks stopped post 9/11 (and the recession that followed). I feel I've heard the Habitat/Alien guys mention this a few places.
Seems like the money should have still been good thru the mid-2000's. The Great Recession and what I call the "action sports bubble" should have been when the pay cuts were happening. Just my thinking.. would love to hear more.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: January 22, 2020, 11:10:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
Seems like the money should have still been good thru the mid-2000's. The Great Recession and what I call the "action sports bubble" should have been when the pay cuts were happening. Just my thinking.. would love to hear more.
I know a couple others from Sovereign Sect have mentioned it over the years, but this is the only quote I could track down (I feel it was mentioned in a weekend buzz and maybe DGKalis around here).

That shoe on DVS really hit a home run I think because it had that pointy toe that makes kickflips look perfect and the colors were all cool, plus it was when I was all over the mags and winning contests too. Habitat was probably my second biggest paycheck because our board sales were just killing it. But once 9/11 hit, sales just dropped off, it was crazy.

Just think of this, from a board sponsor you used to get a set salary of around $4000 a month, and you know that that $4000 is showing no matter what. But then you start getting checks for like $8000 – $10,000 because of the added board royalties, like, holy shit, my board sales are selling that much? And then boom, after 9/11, it went right down and you just made your $4000 a month. That’s where it stayed from then on, you never really saw much over $4000 again. It was just really crazy how short lived it was.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2015/04/09/the-cky-era-with-kerry-getz/

So, they were still making good money, especially if they had pro-shoes like Kerry. But, it is been mentioned a few times that board royalties/minimums were never the same post 9/11. And, I would think by the time Pretty Sweet it, 2k minimum doesn't sound out of line given the number of companies and the 2008 great recession.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 488
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2020, 07:32:22 AM »
Bam, Nakel, TK, and now even Slash...what is going on in skateboarding?
Giving young men loads of money to essentially do nothing plus surrounding them with people contantly telling them how amazing they are is often not going to work out great. Social media just gives us more of a chance to see the real vunderable ones break down in public. It's been happening forever though
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I might be wrong too, I just took that number from memory. Also, companies probably have different systems - some may have higher base salaries and lower royalties and vice versa... Maybe Girl just sold so many boards that riders were getting close to 10k checks anyway.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #255 on: January 23, 2020, 11:26:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Regularly breaking your body for one of the most embarrassing, lucrative brands and being paid in exposure. Oof, pimped hard.

Nakel seems like a good roommate.
[close]

Nakel seems like the kind of roommate to drink all the milk one morning, pour himself a bowl of dry cereal the next, be pissed off the milk is gone and kick your door open to yell “YOU DRINK MY FUCKIN MILK PUSSY??”
What's worse is that he's not even cleaning up all those sippy cups. I could see him on Krooked and Fisher Price.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #256 on: January 23, 2020, 11:31:44 AM »
pickle [my bro] = tom penny

mArLeY

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2020, 12:17:27 PM »
I been wondering. Imagine working at/for supreme. You love skateboarding but see tons of wack people loaded with cash buying hella shit that don’t even skate. I know it’s not realistic to think all consumers skate like all the chicks rocking Etnies in 2003. But hey shout out to all those honies especially with the bootcut jeans in 2003

I saw this mom with the supreme LV backpack with the fat supreme logo on the back at the grocery store like damn. She don’t know shit about skateboarding. Plus moms with LV usually have shit fashion taste. She was kinda fresh but that flex was too much.   I remember reading about how designers don’t just like to slap logos on shit but that is what sells the most for brands. Cause designers want to actually design not just copy paste logos.  Y’all know the Gucci logo tee and belt tho.

Idk what the fuck I’m talking about

nothing's been the since same

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »
Well you sound like you love supreme, but can’t afford it so you turn those who can afford it into villains because they don’t skate

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 488
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #259 on: February 17, 2020, 08:18:56 AM »
Randomly came across Nakel being used in a meme on reddit
from r/stfuretard

During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2020, 08:28:21 AM »
Randomly came across Nakel being used unironically in a meme on reddit
from r/stfuretard

*Fixed that for ya.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2020, 05:39:28 PM »
My 2 cents on this supreme employee convo. ive known some guys to work at the stores and they definitely get nice'd wayyy more than a normal retail job, paid pretty damn good.

one thing I do know is they get to grab like 10 of an item on drop days for resale. I've seen guys make like $7k in a day from box logos etc.

Can't imagine it's any less decent for other staff...

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2020, 03:47:30 PM »

I just wanna smoke big dope with homie...

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

therealstreetpirate

« Reply #263 on: March 09, 2020, 06:16:29 PM »
Fuck whoever deleted it I fucking hate you. You are apart of the problem with the industry making everyone look nice no criticism fuck nak and fuck you too!(speaking to whoever deleted it)

therealstreetpirate

« Reply #264 on: March 09, 2020, 06:25:05 PM »

Hit up Honey Island @therealderektracy for the juicy details
Dude Nak is a straight pussy, After reading that shit he really is a dumb mother fucker. NO RESPECT ---

Soft Boiled

• Rep: 21
« Reply #265 on: March 09, 2020, 06:35:01 PM »
Supreme should stay ahead of current market trends and open up stores in future hotspots like West Virginia or New Mexico. I heard they’re opening a store in Syria, now that ISIS is mostly gone, and rent there is cheap.

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #266 on: March 09, 2020, 06:57:55 PM »
Expand Quote

Hit up Honey Island @therealderektracy for the juicy details
[close]
Dude Nak is a straight pussy, After reading that shit he really is a dumb mother fucker. NO RESPECT ---

Dude he's a soul skater, just wants to sit in a circle and smoke big dope and talk...

/s

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

silvertone_spacemachine

• Rep: 63
« Reply #267 on: March 09, 2020, 09:39:37 PM »
Fuck whoever deleted it I fucking hate you. You are apart of the problem with the industry making everyone look nice no criticism fuck nak and fuck you too!(speaking to whoever deleted it)

see me, fool

therealstreetpirate

« Reply #268 on: March 10, 2020, 01:00:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

see me, fool
Bet