Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93735 times)

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1142
    • My Wife avatar image
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #780 on: March 27, 2020, 03:46:18 PM »
stfu with the long posts
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

lady fanny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -52
« Reply #781 on: March 27, 2020, 04:13:42 PM »
Lurper, your grandpa couldn't fix hearts with a scalpel but i'm sure he was an expert on how to clog one with unhealthy food.
Lady Fanny from Omaha

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 268
« Reply #782 on: March 27, 2020, 04:50:18 PM »
Where I work everyone got fired last week when the government ordered all bars etc to close. Then the government said they would subsidise people's wages to a certain extent and our boss rehired everyone haha. I've left my house twice the past two weeks to buy groceries. I picked up a half ounce off my guy and he had me put the cash inside a sealed plastic bag, leave it on the floor, he left the grass down, we walked around each other, picked up, and left. Extremely surreal but totally justified.

Last weekend people were out in their droves in parks, beaches etc not taking everything so seriously (infuriating). I've read the virus can be in your system for two weeks before symptoms show and I think they are expecting a lot of deaths over the next few weeks; one of the airports in the capital is being repurposed into an air force base for flying people/supplies etc to and from hospitals and another airport out of the capital is being converted into a morgue.

I don't really mind the self isolation stuff, I miss my girlfriend and my friends who are in my home country. All flights to there are basically suspended at the moment. I had my interview for an MA course earlier today by Skype. Nothing really seems to matter so much anymore and life feels on hold. I have my banjo, art supplies, an income, and a half ounce, so I feel more priviledged than most, and I'm grateful. I hope everyone stays safe through what is sure to be a rollercoaster of a few months/years/forever.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #783 on: March 27, 2020, 05:03:01 PM »
Where I work everyone got fired last week when the government ordered all bars etc to close. Then the government said they would subsidise people's wages to a certain extent and our boss rehired everyone haha. I've left my house twice the past two weeks to buy groceries. I picked up a half ounce off my guy and he had me put the cash inside a sealed plastic bag, leave it on the floor, he left the grass down, we walked around each other, picked up, and left. Extremely surreal but totally justified.

Last weekend people were out in their droves in parks, beaches etc not taking everything so seriously (infuriating). I've read the virus can be in your system for two weeks before symptoms show and I think they are expecting a lot of deaths over the next few weeks; one of the airports in the capital is being repurposed into an air force base for flying people/supplies etc to and from hospitals and another airport out of the capital is being converted into a morgue.

I don't really mind the self isolation stuff, I miss my girlfriend and my friends who are in my home country. All flights to there are basically suspended at the moment. I had my interview for an MA course earlier today by Skype. Nothing really seems to matter so much anymore and life feels on hold. I have my banjo, art supplies, an income, and a half ounce, so I feel more priviledged than most, and I'm grateful. I hope everyone stays safe through what is sure to be a rollercoaster of a few months/years/forever.

Are you in America? The gov't is subsidizing the wages of a bar's employees? Where is this?

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 268
« Reply #784 on: March 27, 2020, 05:04:42 PM »
UK

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #785 on: March 27, 2020, 05:13:11 PM »
I see. Sweet deal

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #786 on: March 27, 2020, 05:15:24 PM »
Fuck, someone took intro to CJ. Good luck with Wacquant, that motherfucker doesn't know what a period is.

Finally out of the jail. Kind of. Doing 80% of the work from the office, still have to go down a couple times a night to pick up paperwork. The entire basement is a corona factory.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:18:00 PM by Charlie Hustle »

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
« Reply #788 on: March 27, 2020, 06:23:56 PM »
I'm one of a handful of "essential" state workers that still has to physically report to work in one of the largest government buildings in the U.S. The non-essential workers includes our elected officials (who jumped ship at the first chance). Some of our branches and neighboring government agencies are one by one discovering infected employees and shutting down. It's just a matter of time. We are trying but probably won't get "hazard pay" since our union is shit. On the other hand, most of the other non-essential employees were immediately sent home with 1.5x pay whether they had work or not. All this money California is forking out has me worried about layoffs in the near future. At least I still have a job.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #789 on: March 27, 2020, 07:13:57 PM »
Expand Quote
It's eerie in San Diego. People were still going to the beaches in droves on Saturday; I drove by Torrey Pines and was like WTF? Now, it's a ghost town and on the few occasions when I've gone to the store people are very friendly (in a compassionate way). Neighbors I didn't know I had are asking me if I'm okay… and over the past week if I catch myself in a good mood I'll kinda feel guilty.

This has been quite a wake up call. Hopefully we don't lose too many to this virus.
[close]

Nah, man! You’re allowed to be happy. Smile at people. Spread that shit around. People need it now.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #791 on: March 28, 2020, 12:57:26 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/us/rhode-island-tracking-down-new-yorkers/index.html

Anyone else feel like it’s too late for this shit and the whole country already has it?

El Nugjar

• Rep: -19
« Reply #792 on: March 28, 2020, 03:16:49 AM »
The Florida Keys has a road block setup at the county line and making people turn around if they don’t live there. Only people in are commercial vehicles and locals. I’m a few days from packing my shit and heading back down there since all these people from the North East are flooding into Florida.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #793 on: March 28, 2020, 05:03:25 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/us/rhode-island-tracking-down-new-yorkers/index.html

Anyone else feel like it’s too late for this shit and the whole country already has it?

Yeah mate
listen to cosmic psychos

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #794 on: March 28, 2020, 06:12:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yeah mate
could be but RI has real low numbers and NY the opposite.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #795 on: March 28, 2020, 07:45:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's eerie in San Diego. People were still going to the beaches in droves on Saturday; I drove by Torrey Pines and was like WTF? Now, it's a ghost town and on the few occasions when I've gone to the store people are very friendly (in a compassionate way). Neighbors I didn't know I had are asking me if I'm okay… and over the past week if I catch myself in a good mood I'll kinda feel guilty.

This has been quite a wake up call. Hopefully we don't lose too many to this virus.
[close]

Nah, man! You’re allowed to be happy. Smile at people. Spread that shit around. People need it now.
[close]

Don’t dip your balls in my smile, fool. That’s how you spread the Covid.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #796 on: March 28, 2020, 08:55:55 AM »
I'm in Brooklyn, so yeah, I've been staying in my apartment unless I really have a reason to leave. The only time I've been outside this week was to take out the trash and to go cruising a couple times since sitting around is killing my back.

My family is down in Florida, and I have a sister in law that's a nurse that's really struggling with the situation. She told us that the ICUs are packed with critical COVID-19 patients and that the virus moves incredibly quickly in some people. Apparently some folks go from having mild symptoms to needing the ICU within a couple hours. I know that's not the norm, but it's bad. I feel so worried for my parents, especially because my dad just wrapped up a bunch of cancer treatment.

My sister in law also said the working conditions are just awful. The doctors at the hospital are so freaked out by the virus that they won't go into the ICU, so they've resorted to verbally abusing the nurses to get them to do all the dirty work.

All I can really say is please stay safe out there my pals and be considerate in these trying, dangerous times. I can't imagine things going back to "normal" for quite a while.

Kylo Send

« Reply #797 on: March 28, 2020, 09:21:00 AM »
That's good info man, thanks for sharing, I hope you and your family stays safe. I just started seeing a PA nurse a couple weeks ago right before shit hit the fan and her stress is crazy high at times.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #798 on: March 28, 2020, 10:19:37 AM »
I'm glad we got back to discussing what's going on. I still haven't heard anything else about my office supposedly having a person test positive. I'm just being cautious and trying not to go out or anything. It's starting to sound more like bullshit rumors even though the person who told me said they are for sure someone is positive with it.

I've only been in a couple days over the last 10 so here's hoping everything's ok. I'm not really worried about it either way, I just don't want to infect someone else. I'm just trying to stay home as much as possible, I felt bad last night because I wanted some snacks and went to the gas station real quick. Pretty  much held my breath and sanitized my hands before I went in real quick. It's just that I haven't left home in a couple days so I needed to get out and get something.

I think it's obvious a fuckload more people have it than those that are confirmed because not everyone is going to go to the hospital and not everyone is even being told to come in unless they have severe symptoms. But like I said, I'm more worried about giving it to someone that is high risk. My girlfriend has really mild asthma, but has asthma none the less. She is scared, and I'm really bummed about the possible exposure at my work because we only get to see each other on weekends since I moved and were really looking to seeing each other this weekend after a rough week. But I told her let's wait and be cautious. That's the only thing that fucking sucks. Obviously I don't want want to die, but I'm not really scared of death. She's like my only friend and so not being able to see her fucking sucks. It's already been almost a week.

My dad is an LVN and I called and told him just to give him a heads up about the work rumors because my sister who lives with him has been over lately. I expected him to freak because he always does but he just stayed calm and gave me a couple numbers to call if I feel any symptoms. My mom and sister's I think, think I'm depressed, honestly I just miss my girlfriend.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 10:24:02 AM by 50mm »

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #799 on: March 28, 2020, 10:57:39 AM »
I'm in Brooklyn, so yeah, I've been staying in my apartment unless I really have a reason to leave. The only time I've been outside this week was to take out the trash and to go cruising a couple times since sitting around is killing my back.

My family is down in Florida, and I have a sister in law that's a nurse that's really struggling with the situation. She told us that the ICUs are packed with critical COVID-19 patients and that the virus moves incredibly quickly in some people. Apparently some folks go from having mild symptoms to needing the ICU within a couple hours. I know that's not the norm, but it's bad. I feel so worried for my parents, especially because my dad just wrapped up a bunch of cancer treatment.

My sister in law also said the working conditions are just awful. The doctors at the hospital are so freaked out by the virus that they won't go into the ICU, so they've resorted to verbally abusing the nurses to get them to do all the dirty work.

All I can really say is please stay safe out there my pals and be considerate in these trying, dangerous times. I can't imagine things going back to "normal" for quite a while.

yeah, thanks for sharing this man...i'm not on social media, so i don't know if these kinds of things are everywhere, but came across this nurse's post from the Detroit News yesterday--fucking jarring, and if this kind of thing does not convince people to fuck listen and stay home, i don't know what will (hopefully it will embed):

http://twitter.com/i/status/1242974555905327104

i said it somewhere else, but if the worst many of us can complain about right now it boredom, how fucking dare we complain.

hope everybody is safe and well--fuck, i'm not even worried about "normal" for a while, just friends, family, and neighbors safe will be straight...

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #800 on: March 28, 2020, 02:02:26 PM »
I'm glad we got back to discussing what's going on. I still haven't heard anything else about my office supposedly having a person test positive. I'm just being cautious and trying not to go out or anything. It's starting to sound more like bullshit rumors even though the person who told me said they are for sure someone is positive with it.

I've only been in a couple days over the last 10 so here's hoping everything's ok. I'm not really worried about it either way, I just don't want to infect someone else. I'm just trying to stay home as much as possible, I felt bad last night because I wanted some snacks and went to the gas station real quick. Pretty  much held my breath and sanitized my hands before I went in real quick. It's just that I haven't left home in a couple days so I needed to get out and get something.

I think it's obvious a fuckload more people have it than those that are confirmed because not everyone is going to go to the hospital and not everyone is even being told to come in unless they have severe symptoms. But like I said, I'm more worried about giving it to someone that is high risk. My girlfriend has really mild asthma, but has asthma none the less. She is scared, and I'm really bummed about the possible exposure at my work because we only get to see each other on weekends since I moved and were really looking to seeing each other this weekend after a rough week. But I told her let's wait and be cautious. That's the only thing that fucking sucks. Obviously I don't want want to die, but I'm not really scared of death. She's like my only friend and so not being able to see her fucking sucks. It's already been almost a week.

My dad is an LVN and I called and told him just to give him a heads up about the work rumors because my sister who lives with him has been over lately. I expected him to freak because he always does but he just stayed calm and gave me a couple numbers to call if I feel any symptoms. My mom and sister's I think, think I'm depressed, honestly I just miss my girlfriend.

I feel you big time on this as currently my girlfriend and I are in a long distance relationship. We both live on separate coasts and only see each other every two months. She was supposed to come last week but we decided it was a bad idea with her flying. Haven't seen her since January and not sure when ill even get to see her again. Moved home to go back to school three years ago so I've been away from my friends this whole time. This quarantine in regards to seeing friends is really nothing new but missing my girlfriend bigly. I live in jersey and supposed to be moving to the west coast in may but we shall see how that plays out being right near New York.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
« Reply #801 on: March 28, 2020, 03:13:09 PM »
I just drove by Neptune's Net, County Line and Leo Carrillo in Malibu. Those 3 places, along with all the hiking trails surrounding them, were packed with people... like it's the middle of summer and 80/sunny. Bunch of fucking idiots.

My town has been pretty dead and I'm happy about that. All restaurants are take-out or delivery, etc.

Gavin Newsom needs to start cracking the whip!

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #802 on: March 28, 2020, 03:46:46 PM »
I heard NYPD is about to start actually policing social distancing Monday. For the dumbasses chillin in groups at the park etc.

I wanna get this shit under wraps asap and people are apparently too dumb to do it willingly so necessary I guess, but still any expanded govt and cop power makes me nervous.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #803 on: March 28, 2020, 06:21:47 PM »
I heard NYPD is about to start actually policing social distancing Monday. For the dumbasses chillin in groups at the park etc.

I wanna get this shit under wraps asap and people are apparently too dumb to do it willingly so necessary I guess, but still any expanded govt and cop power makes me nervous.

I’ve heard ’I heard’ so many times...
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #804 on: March 28, 2020, 08:07:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve heard ’I heard’ so many times...

“I heard from my neighbors uncle who works high up in DC that Marshall law starts Tuesday”

But my thing isn’t bs I don’t think. I thought I read it somewhere reputable but I’m drowning in bookmarked news articles and lost it so who knows

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #805 on: March 28, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »
Heard from my friend's stepdad who is a retired NYPD first responder that Jews are suspiciously impervious to the virus

Dont

• Rep: -9
« Reply #806 on: March 28, 2020, 09:31:08 PM »
Heard from my friend's stepdad who is a retired NYPD first responder that Jews are suspiciously impervious to the virus

I’m Jewish and my family members in nyc are very sick from the virus. Your retired “friend’s stepdad” may need to be fact checked- people say crazy shit when tragedies happen

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -64
  • ???
« Reply #807 on: March 28, 2020, 10:07:33 PM »
my city London Ontario Canada got its first death today a 70 year old who was in Portugal
25 total cases to date, tons of em not travel related, so that's fucked.

Jewlien Burford

« Reply #808 on: March 29, 2020, 04:32:17 AM »
Beaches, skateparks  and outdoor gyms closed.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #809 on: March 29, 2020, 05:37:11 AM »
In an unexpected move after a few years of cold diplomatic relations, China is apparently donating medical masks to Canada.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.