Author Topic: Vans Skate Park in Orange closed until further notice  (Read 8794 times)

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Vans Skate Park in Orange closed until further notice
« on: March 08, 2020, 08:59:35 AM »
Probably for good........after a 25 year old BMX rider was killed from a freak accident at the park. Sliced his neck open on a fluorescent light after hitting a ceiling beam. Pretty sad RIP

https://www.google.com/amp/s/losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/03/06/tyler-kanarr-dead-vans-skatepark-orange-closed/amp/
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
Re: Vans Skate Park in Orange closed until further notice
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 09:02:58 AM »
Fucking bummer, RIP to that guy.

Do they make you sign waivers to skate/bike there? Their insurance company is probably screaming right now, and that family is gonna try and get paid hard for wrongful death.

therealstreetpirate

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 09:04:59 AM »
Is that the OG vans skatepark it was featured on tony hawks american wasteland?

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 09:26:46 AM »
I thought they were getting ready to shut it down anyways

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2211
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 09:31:34 AM »
This park was supposed to shut down 2 years ago,now I'd say it's definitely for sure. You can't skate here without signing a waiver,ride at your own risk. It sucks that dude died. He had to have bailed or aired way out of that bank,those lights are over 6 ft up. The family suing is a little lame though.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 09:51:11 AM »
At one point they were going to close. The mall was more interested in turning that space into another big box draw like a Kohl’s. This is why they built a combi style bowl at the Huntington Beach park.

Sometime within the last year, I heard all of that had changed due to new management showing interest in keeping the park there.

We’ll see how this plays into it. I’m sure the attorney won’t isolate the incident, but it would be unfortunate to see the place ultimately get shut down over someone hitting a light that most skateboarders could never reach.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 02:41:32 PM »
why the fuck wouldnt you have some sort of protection around lights on a low ceiling in a skatepark of that size?

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 03:07:30 PM »
This park was supposed to shut down 2 years ago,now I'd say it's definitely for sure. You can't skate here without signing a waiver,ride at your own risk. It sucks that dude died. He had to have bailed or aired way out of that bank,those lights are over 6 ft up. The family suing is a little lame though.

You're saying that, since the park's inception, you had to sign a waiver... right? Every indoor or "pay-to-ride" park I've ever been to (Skatestreet, Alpine, Skate Lab (RIP to all these places)) made you sign a liability waiver. Would that not protect the owners against this?

EDIT: It's gotta be pretty devastating to own the venue in which someone died

Rick_Kane

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 03:10:46 PM »
Fuck that's gnarly. RIP to dude. Crazy how that park has been there this long. Hopefully this won't be its undoing.  It's pretty much a historical institution at this point.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »
why the fuck wouldnt you have some sort of protection around lights on a low ceiling in a skatepark of that size?
I've seen kids purposely try and take those lights out,just hail mary their boards and all.

Expand Quote
[close]

You're saying that, since the park's inception, you had to sign a waiver... right? Every indoor or "pay-to-ride" park I've ever been to (Skatestreet, Alpine, Skate Lab (RIP to all these places)) made you sign a liability waiver. Would that not protect the owners against this?

EDIT: It's gotta be pretty devastating to own the venue in which someone died
You sign a waiver your first time there before even being allowed to step on your board, and if you go back after not having had been there for months you gotta re sign. Not sure about death, but they're(the owners) definitely covered for injuries. I've seen all sorts of shit go down injury wise there.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 04:09:42 PM »
Talk to any creep lawyer and they’ll tell you a waiver is worth the paper it’s printed on.

I mean it offers some legal protection but in a situation like this, especially when some kind of negligence involving maintenance or possible preventive measures not taken resulting in loss of life , it starts looking bad for the property owner.

I don’t agree with it but his family will probably win.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 05:10:38 PM »
Juggle your jugular vein
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 05:17:32 PM »
Rip to the dude, and farewell to the Tony Hawk's American Wasteland Park.

ryu

• Rep: -17
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 05:29:50 PM »
RIP. best park i've ever been to in my life. has everything you could ask for

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »
Gonna miss those gnarly Combi runs.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 07:30:19 PM »
A good skater died skating scott’s valley skatepark near santa cruz back in like 06 and it’s still open. Probably different with a privately owned park tho

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 07:34:54 PM »
Horrendous. RIP.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Bobby Lashley

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 08:48:16 PM »
Sending love to me bmx bruvs. I grew up skating the combi with no balls , I use to just touch tile.
A sad day for xtreme activities as a whole. Love your people and make sure they know it.

El Nugjar

• Rep: -19
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2020, 02:05:58 AM »
Talk to any creep lawyer and they’ll tell you a waiver is worth the paper it’s printed on.

I mean it offers some legal protection but in a situation like this, especially when some kind of negligence involving maintenance or possible preventive measures not taken resulting in loss of life , it starts looking bad for the property owner.

Vans will pay heavily for it, but I don’t doubt that they would’ve lawyer or not considering their support for BMX is larger than just about any other brand out there. Super bummer for the dude and his family and friends though. He also went out doing what he loved and most people don’t get that at the end.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2020, 07:37:43 AM »

this is pretty accurate. but waivers are stronger than people give them credit for.   waivers  can  protect  simple/foreseeable stuff (sprained wrist falling while trying a ramp). it doesn't absolve the park owners for issues they create through negligence/recklessness (ie leaving nails on the ground or leaving a pipe leaking so it accumulates water on the ground) but it can be good protection for the "normal" stuff and will make your insurance company happy. 

I don't know the spot/park where it happened or the details of the incident. hypothetically if the park management put a low hanging light without a cage directly above a ramp and the biker was using the ramp as intended; that sounds like it could potentially be a hazard that amounts possible negligence. its impossible to say without more information.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 07:50:37 AM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 09:30:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is pretty accurate. but waivers are stronger than people give them credit for.   waivers  can  protect  simple/foreseeable stuff (sprained wrist falling while trying a ramp). it doesn't absolve the park owners for issues they create through negligence/recklessness (ie leaving nails on the ground or leaving a pipe leaking so it accumulates water on the ground) but it can be good protection for the "normal" stuff and will make your insurance company happy. 

I don't know the spot/park where it happened or the details of the incident. hypothetically if the park management put a low hanging light without a cage directly above a ramp and the biker was using the ramp as intended; that sounds like it could potentially be a hazard that amounts possible negligence. its impossible to say without more information.

Below is where it supposedly happened

that space under the lights is usually a point where people start from and then go down that bank to get speed to hit a bump to rail and bump to ledge, i would imagine maybe he was airing out that bank and shot his bike into the lights out of the bank or something?

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2020, 11:26:51 AM »
A horrible accident.

Man that's terrible.

I can't even imagine what it would be like if I was just skating the park with my friend and he ended up dead before we left to grab burritos.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2020, 11:46:09 AM »
Notice how there’s no lights above that vert wall, but exist above the quarter pipes. I’m no lawyer but surely that fact might play into determining wether it’s gross negligence or not?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2020, 11:50:17 AM »
Really terrible way to go.

Side note: Vans cancelled all events worldwide and closed down all their parks due to Coronavirus, so I'm surprised this park was even open.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2020, 12:24:45 PM »
He also went out doing what he loved and most people don’t get that at the end.

i kind of doubt he loved bleeding to death out of a neck hole
🤙

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2020, 12:27:19 PM »
Notice how there’s no lights above that vert wall, but exist above the quarter pipes. I’m no lawyer but surely that fact might play into determining wether it’s gross negligence or not?

you have good instincts. someone form my office said the same thing.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2020, 02:59:00 PM »
RIP the homie. This shit is tragic, and I agree with the gross negligence theory. They should know better to have covers over fluorescent tubes...Especially if you allow BMXers to use the rams (they tend to get more air)...

Idk, I feel like his death could have been prevented. Much love to his family...

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2020, 03:19:26 PM »
Theres a good 6 ft of deck,people lounge around under there a lot. There for sure should have been covers on the lights,but over 20 years of bmx and skate shit say it wasnt much a thing to trip on. Vans will definitely get dinged on negligence, I'm sure that had to pass some code for the city too...don't even know how

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2020, 07:10:14 PM »
fuck. That is insane. rest easy man..

vape culture

• Rep: 2
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2020, 11:23:20 AM »
used to skate here a ton when i was younger. my mom lives up the street from it and it'll be weird seeing how this affects the space when i visit her.

RIP.