Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 367006 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #1770 on: August 09, 2023, 11:58:37 AM »
Yeah, I think he's doing a 9Club also... He posted an exchange between him and Kelly.

ShutYoMouthFoo

• Rep: -12
« Reply #1771 on: August 09, 2023, 12:27:42 PM »
Expand Quote
watching a recent Live one and Crob got real snappy at Roger. It was very uncomfortable.
[close]
Caught that too. Iirc rog mentioned something in the chat and Chris snapped at him to stop mentioning it because it’s ruining the flow of the conversation between the hosts.

Yea Roger does this all the time. Crob and company will be in the middle of getting a thought out and roger will interject with hey look kula donated for the thousandth time. Kind of have to agree with crob on this one I would also find that super irritating.

WhoCareZ

« Reply #1772 on: August 09, 2023, 12:32:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
watching a recent Live one and Crob got real snappy at Roger. It was very uncomfortable.
[close]
Caught that too. Iirc rog mentioned something in the chat and Chris snapped at him to stop mentioning it because it’s ruining the flow of the conversation between the hosts.
[close]

Yea Roger does this all the time. Crob and company will be in the middle of getting a thought out and roger will interject with hey look kula donated for the thousandth time. Kind of have to agree with crob on this one I would also find that super irritating.

Is it safe to say Kulla has donate somewhere around $50k to the nine club?

doublesteveburger

« Reply #1773 on: August 09, 2023, 12:37:17 PM »
yeah kulla you’re ruining the show with your generosity dude

rkulla

« Reply #1774 on: August 09, 2023, 01:38:03 PM »
haha, yeah I often will try to time my donations to not interrupt the important parts of the show, but it doesn't always work by the time it gets seen. Sorry not sorry.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #1775 on: August 09, 2023, 01:40:33 PM »
Yeah, I think he's doing a 9Club also... He posted an exchange between him and Kelly.

100% doing one

Dude has some balls, so that will be a good episode

TheWineClub

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1776 on: August 09, 2023, 01:42:05 PM »
haha, yeah I often will try to time my donations to not interrupt the important parts of the show, but it doesn't always work by the time it gets seen. Sorry not sorry.

Dude you’re weird

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3375
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #1777 on: August 09, 2023, 01:54:05 PM »
It always makes me smile that the 9 in the name is a reference to inches, regardless of context

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #1778 on: August 09, 2023, 02:27:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Is it just me or has the standard of the nine club just totally fell off in the past year? I can't remember the last time I was excited about a new episode. It seems like almost every person they get on is some b-tier industry vet at this point.
[close]

I'd somewhat argue the opposite. Chris actually tries to prepare and revisit the guests work these days and has proper questions. The b tier guests are often the filmers or industry dudes behind the scenes with more stories than skaters themselves.  But in the end I still feel like it's kind of a sinking ship and the dudes behind the 9 club are in a constant race to make some sort of career for the rest of their lives

Agreed. Seems like its more organized now. More question prep. It's noticeably better.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #1779 on: August 09, 2023, 07:13:24 PM »
It always makes me smile that the 9 in the name is a reference to inches, regardless of context

Surprisingly, that 9 inch donkey dick was the key to Crob balancing those long nose grinds.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #1780 on: August 09, 2023, 08:45:57 PM »
They prerecorded an Athletic Greens ad that they replay often and before I can fast-forward Crob & Kelly keep saying “aptogens” which is not a real word. It makes me chuckle, but I think they should redo it.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #1781 on: August 09, 2023, 08:52:03 PM »

i know this is slap, so you’re going to read this as me talking shit, but i want you to take this as the sincere question that it is - why on earth do you donate a significant amount of money to the nine club? like why them? of all places to give money, why them?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -528
« Reply #1782 on: August 09, 2023, 09:13:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dude you’re weird

I back kulla, why not throw the boys a few dollars for the entertainment if you can afford it?  Also polite of them to acknowledge it. 

rkulla

« Reply #1783 on: August 09, 2023, 09:48:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i know this is slap, so you’re going to read this as me talking shit, but i want you to take this as the sincere question that it is - why on earth do you donate a significant amount of money to the nine club? like why them? of all places to give money, why them?

It's a fair question. My reply to "of all places" that it's not the _only_ place and not even the most important place.

The simplest reason is that it's my favorite show and that I can afford to. It's my favorite show for a lot of reasons -- of which I don't think people outside of the "Ol' Buddy" community grasp (or care about) when they're just watching or listening non-live and not in the chat or aware of all the inside jokes, creating content for it, etc.

I tried to go into more detail on OG_Sk8Cho's podcast recently, but only covered part of it. I'll probably go into more detail when I go back on in the future since I get asked a lot and people have a few misconceptions. I get why some people don't understand it, though. I grew up with parents without money, and even as an adult I didn't start really making any until I was 30.

The best thing I can say is try kiva.org. That's where I started, by giving a $25 microloan to people in need, and when they pay it back in a month or whenever, you relend the same money to someone else.  Eventually you might find you like giving and supporting people and do it more. I'm also a dog lover, so donating to shelters and the like is always nice.  Sometimes a few bucks is all that's standing between a dog getting put down or kept longer until it's adopted, etc.

Giving isn't fully selfless, it feels good and it's also a bonus that they shout me out sometimes. It's a win/win.  I'm down for free speech and people can have whatever opinions they want, even negative. I just kinda grew out of that when I realized it wasn't win/win and I no longer saw the point, for myself.

Anyway this is the best way I can currently think to answer it. I'm sure some people still won't like it. Nothing I can do about that!

The night listener

• Rep: -163
« Reply #1784 on: August 09, 2023, 10:07:10 PM »

Please point me to this one. Sounds hilarious.

lurkluke

• Rep: 194
« Reply #1785 on: August 09, 2023, 11:43:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

During the Vans show chat at like 1h40m. Watch the whole segment and there's two instances.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -528
« Reply #1786 on: August 10, 2023, 06:26:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

During the Vans show chat at like 1h40m. Watch the whole segment and there's two instances.

That’s funny stuff.  Tangentially related, Roger is the most annoying type of know it all, one that actually knows a lot (about skating that is). He’s always trying to predict where a guest is going or finish their thought, so annoying.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #1787 on: August 10, 2023, 06:37:09 AM »
crabby crob

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1788 on: August 10, 2023, 10:02:06 AM »
They prerecorded an Athletic Greens ad that they replay often and before I can fast-forward Crob & Kelly keep saying “aptogens” which is not a real word. It makes me chuckle, but I think they should redo it.

YO! I've been noticing that too. I wanted to call them out in the chat, but felt bad. Say it with me now: A-DAP-TO-GEN

They should really re-record that ad read.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #1789 on: August 10, 2023, 10:07:02 AM »
I skipped through like 10 minutes of the nka one to torture myself and he called himself an artist and said that he cares about the legacy of his work

burntout

• Rep: -46
« Reply #1790 on: August 10, 2023, 04:05:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Time stamp?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1791 on: August 10, 2023, 04:28:46 PM »
I skipped through like 10 minutes of the nka one to torture myself and he called himself an artist and said that he cares about the legacy of his work
Now you must go to the grave having that dogshit cunts delusion in your soul.  Godspeed.

WhoCareZ

« Reply #1792 on: August 10, 2023, 10:41:05 PM »

Nigel Alexander (NKA Vids) discusses getting his first job & sponsor by 118 Boardshop, meeting a young Paul Rodriguez, getting his first camera, making the Forecast video, starting skatesite.com, making a push on his YouTube channel & working with Network A, his first check from YouTube, finding skaters for his youtube videos, working for Powell Peralta, dealing with YouTube comments and much more!

Timestamps
00:00:00 Nigel Alexander
00:04:22 Skating both switch and regular comfortably
00:06:03 First job & sponsor was 118 Boardshop
00:06:51 Making the Forecast video
00:10:06 Starting skatesite.com
00:13:10 The Proof video
00:14:40 Our Sponsor: Athletic Greens
00:16:15 Making the push towards YouTube and working with Network A
00:22:39 His first YouTube check
00:23:24 Jeron was Nigel's plug in high school (for skate product)
00:26:04 How Nigel got his first camera
00:31:39 The YouTube thing
00:44:38 Finding skaters for his YouTube videos
00:51:20 The effects of being a YouTuber on one's mental health
00:54:27 Nigel's upload schedule
00:57:46 Misconceptions about YouTube
01:05:02 is YouTube still as lucrative as it used to be?
01:05:30 The importance of YouTube thumbnails
01:09:39 Andy Schrock
01:12:12 Finding your niche on YouTube
01:15:17 Nigel's relationship with P-Rod
01:32:32 Notable moments while filming
01:38:29 Andy Anderson going big
01:41:25 Andy Anderson doing freestyle in the olympic park contest
01:43:25 Andy Anderson overload on YouTube?
01:45:02 working for/with Powell Peralta
01:51:40 Dealing with the YouTube comments

YouTuber circle jerk episode

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1793 on: August 10, 2023, 10:42:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Time stamp?
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109551.msg4065251#msg4065251

1h40m mark

nothing's been the since same

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1794 on: August 10, 2023, 10:44:42 PM »
random but, i really appreciated the keenan ode segment today. when jeron realizes that he would be 49 today… the look in his face almost made my eyes trickle. it was like you could feel that it kind of just hit him out of nowhere in that moment how long it has been and then he remembered he’s on camera. like for a very split moment he just seemed paused in disbelief of the time & kind of visioning his time with him or something. the ‘b-roll’ was just another reminder of how naturally stylish keenan really was, i often think about how big of an impact he would have made if that hadnt happened. like an actual planned full part in yeah right, a part in skate more if he didn’t dip to dc and join the dc video, pretty sweet.. all of it. imagining what could have been with keenan is equally as awesome as it is tough.

rest in peace keenan.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Banned from the room

« Reply #1795 on: August 10, 2023, 11:12:03 PM »
Fuck with Roger and we will destroy you. Put the lotion in the fuckin basket Crob.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #1796 on: August 10, 2023, 11:54:54 PM »
random but, i really appreciated the keenan ode segment today. when jeron realizes that he would be 49 today… the look in his face almost made my eyes trickle. it was like you could feel that it kind of just hit him out of nowhere in that moment how long it has been and then he remembered he’s on camera. like for a very split moment he just seemed paused in disbelief of the time & kind of visioning his time with him or something. the ‘b-roll’ was just another reminder of how naturally stylish keenan really was, i often think about how big of an impact he would have made if that hadnt happened. like an actual planned full part in yeah right, a part in skate more if he didn’t dip to dc and join the dc video, pretty sweet.. all of it. imagining what could have been with keenan is equally as awesome as it is tough.

rest in peace keenan.

Keenan was naturally gifted and seemed to be loved by everyone.

If he would still have been alive and kept skating I believe he would have been on a Daewon/Ave/Mariano kind of level. In his forties still skating hard.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1797 on: August 11, 2023, 06:13:36 AM »
Expand Quote

Nigel Alexander (NKA Vids) discusses getting his first job & sponsor by 118 Boardshop, meeting a young Paul Rodriguez, getting his first camera, making the Forecast video, starting skatesite.com, making a push on his YouTube channel & working with Network A, his first check from YouTube, finding skaters for his youtube videos, working for Powell Peralta, dealing with YouTube comments and much more!

Timestamps
[close]

Show was terrible. Have no idea who this dude is, checked it out and all they do is talk about youtube.
WhoCareZ am I right?

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

rkulla

« Reply #1798 on: August 11, 2023, 10:57:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Timestamps
[close]

[close]

Show was terrible. Have no idea who this dude is, checked it out and all they do is talk about youtube.
WhoCareZ am I right?

That's true for you but for people who know who he is, or wanted to know more, it was interesting enough.  The YouTube talk is relevant since many pro skaters are just now  starting to do it. So it makes sense to give credit to the original people who took that leap, even if you'll never like the idea of it.  Obviously Crob is interested in it since the show is mainly viewed via YouTube as well.

One person's "boring" is another's "interesting". All there are are opinions and no one's opinion is more right than another's.   I know this doesn't jive well with people who want to feel better than someone else, but that's just ego man. The Big Lebowski hates your fascist ways, man.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1799 on: August 11, 2023, 11:10:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Timestamps
[close]

[close]

WhoCareZ am I right?
[close]

That's true for you but for people who know who he is, or wanted to know more, it was interesting enough.  The YouTube talk is relevant since many pro skaters are just now  starting to do it. So it makes sense to give credit to the original people who took that leap, even if you'll never like the idea of it.  Obviously Crob is interested in it since the show is mainly viewed via YouTube as well.

One person's "boring" is another's "interesting". All there are are opinions and no one's opinion is more right than another's.   I know this doesn't jive well with people who want to feel better than someone else, but that's just ego man. The Big Lebowski hates your fascist ways, man.

Sorry, I like the shows normally even when I don’t know who it is. But this episode was not entertaing in the least not even for background noise. YouTube is not  skateboarding. And this guy was not pleasant to listen to.

Maybe you can change my mind by donating some cash my way.  :D

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"