Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 367047 times)

alex olsons back tail

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #1920 on: August 29, 2023, 08:07:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don’t mind roller blades but BMX riders fuck up ledges and spots with their pegs. Fuck them.
[close]

Yeah guy I've heard it before, I bust my BMX friends balls about it every time we hang out, while he tells me I poach his lines. The bit never gets old.

Fuck em if they fuck up the ledge, but if you know how to grind, you won't fuck up the ledge. Its literally just as easy chip edges if jam crookeds or 5-0s like you don't know what you're doing.

I've been on sessions w/ bikes and skates were I've watched the skaters chipping out the corner worse and more often than BMX

But I probably won't change your mind and that's fine, so have a nice day
[close]

how do ya figure?
[close]

yeah "just as easy" is hyperbole, excuse me on that, but I've watched it happen in-person so take that as you will. There's good technique and bad technique in both disciplines.

Either way its grinding two hardened materials together, so some destruction is guaranteed. 

any biker who is having a sesh with has plastic sleeves on or is pegless IMO
[close]

There's a BMX version of copers? I've never seen it.
Plastic pegs and sleeves have become more common than metal for bmxers over the past 10 years or so. Much quieter and grind smooth on rough surfaces. Although metal pegs are starting to come back heavy because they're loud and more "hesh"

Selema is the shit and as another comment said, growing up in Southern California is definitely like Rocket Power. Skate, surf, bmx, scoot(lol), blades, snowboard, moto. Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you're out there getting after it. Run what you brung type shit.

We're all just playing on our respective toys, ain't nobody cool.

Tireeedd

• Rep: 86
« Reply #1921 on: August 29, 2023, 08:50:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don’t mind roller blades but BMX riders fuck up ledges and spots with their pegs. Fuck them.
[close]

Yeah guy I've heard it before, I bust my BMX friends balls about it every time we hang out, while he tells me I poach his lines. The bit never gets old.

Fuck em if they fuck up the ledge, but if you know how to grind, you won't fuck up the ledge. Its literally just as easy chip edges if jam crookeds or 5-0s like you don't know what you're doing.

I've been on sessions w/ bikes and skates were I've watched the skaters chipping out the corner worse and more often than BMX

[close]

how do ya figure?
[close]

yeah "just as easy" is hyperbole, excuse me on that, but I've watched it happen in-person so take that as you will. There's good technique and bad technique in both disciplines.

Either way its grinding two hardened materials together, so some destruction is guaranteed. 

[close]

There's a BMX version of copers? I've never seen it.
[close]
Plastic pegs and sleeves have become more common than metal for bmxers over the past 10 years or so. Much quieter and grind smooth on rough surfaces. Although metal pegs are starting to come back heavy because they're loud and more "hesh"

Selema is the shit and as another comment said, growing up in Southern California is definitely like Rocket Power. Skate, surf, bmx, scoot(lol), blades, snowboard, moto. Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you're out there getting after it. Run what you brung type shit.

We're all just playing on our respective toys, ain't nobody cool.

yeah, it's kinda hard trying to explain that to all of us in southern california just kinda co-exist like people still shit on scooter kids but for the most of us nobody cares

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 68
« Reply #1922 on: August 30, 2023, 08:36:10 AM »
Only going to listen if he tells cool stories about his legendary dad - does he?

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1923 on: August 30, 2023, 10:57:58 AM »
Has anyone else seen a plethora of roller skate chicks at their local parks? Not hating, just curious because they seem to be there every day now and weren't like a year ago.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #1924 on: August 30, 2023, 12:26:52 PM »
Has anyone else seen a plethora of roller skate chicks at their local parks? Not hating, just curious because they seem to be there every day now and weren't like a year ago.

They are common in the denver area skateparks. Seemed to increase during pandemic.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
« Reply #1925 on: August 30, 2023, 12:29:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are common in the denver area skateparks. Seemed to increase during pandemic.

seen em around LA. whats cool is a lot of people who roller skate say Spitfire f4's work the best. i think they're usually 52 or 53mm classics.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

carcinisation

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1926 on: August 30, 2023, 12:34:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

be prepared to get owned

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1927 on: August 30, 2023, 01:30:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

seen em around LA. whats cool is a lot of people who roller skate say Spitfire f4's work the best. i think they're usually 52 or 53mm classics.
DLX need to market to them if they're smart. They buy two sets every time they need new ones.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #1928 on: August 30, 2023, 04:06:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Did anyone else hang their head in embarrassment for Crob for ending the interview by calling him “sal?”

After the life-affirming discussion about identity and being oneself, and how reclaiming his name was so powerful in his journey through life.

We all make mistakes though, I’d hate to listen to myself talking for any length of time.

Cool interview, I thought. I feel like 9 Club is trying to sneak career advice in for the youngsters who may be better off having a job in the industry, rather than a job in front of a lens. I really wish we’d all heard this kinda stuff between ages 14-19.
[close]

I came here to post the exact thing. A great interview, so much history and depth. Poured his heart into having his name not be shortened to satisfy the masses and Crob just undoes it all with his brain dead retort.
Take a second Chris to digest what the guests are saying to you. This was an ultra important thing for Selema and you could tell he was bummed when it came out of Chris’s mouth. He even made a point tell the story to tell EVERYONE in his life never to call him Sal anymore. Doesn’t tarnish a great episode but what a smgdh moment.

But he calls himself sal in the interview, so cant be too mad at crob

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1929 on: August 30, 2023, 04:56:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did anyone else hang their head in embarrassment for Crob for ending the interview by calling him “sal?”

After the life-affirming discussion about identity and being oneself, and how reclaiming his name was so powerful in his journey through life.

We all make mistakes though, I’d hate to listen to myself talking for any length of time.

Cool interview, I thought. I feel like 9 Club is trying to sneak career advice in for the youngsters who may be better off having a job in the industry, rather than a job in front of a lens. I really wish we’d all heard this kinda stuff between ages 14-19.
[close]

I came here to post the exact thing. A great interview, so much history and depth. Poured his heart into having his name not be shortened to satisfy the masses and Crob just undoes it all with his brain dead retort.
Take a second Chris to digest what the guests are saying to you. This was an ultra important thing for Selema and you could tell he was bummed when it came out of Chris’s mouth. He even made a point tell the story to tell EVERYONE in his life never to call him Sal anymore. Doesn’t tarnish a great episode but what a smgdh moment.
[close]

Maybe listen to that segment again, and hear his passion for his name and how much he hated people downplaying him and making him digestible to the average white tv viewer. I'm sure Selema wasn't mad at Crob, it's more about him hearing his story and respecting his passion and taking the time to be deliberate enough to not use the name he went on and on about.
It wasn't just a 30 second blurb about his nickname, he referenced how he felt normal in his skin when people took the time and energy to respect him and honor his wishes. I get that he probably was tired at the end of the interview, but i know if i was there, making sure i took the time to get it  right would be a pretty high priority after 20 minutes of explanation.
jus sayin

CrappybsflipDownthe5stair

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1930 on: August 31, 2023, 03:10:26 AM »
No live this week? Or have I got my days mixed up

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1931 on: September 01, 2023, 10:50:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
DLX need to market to them if they're smart. They buy two sets every time they need new ones.
That's interesting to hear about the F4s. I went down a roller skate set-up rabbit hole during Covid and it seemed like Bones were the only manu making stuff and aiming it RSers. That was a couple of years ago and a lot of them have probably rolled around a lot of parks/streets since then so the meta changing to Spitfire would make sense. In 2020 it seemed like 54mm and up in a conical shape was what all the shops were carrying.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

sparklingrainwater

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1932 on: September 01, 2023, 09:00:08 PM »
I miss Roger  :-\

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1933 on: September 02, 2023, 07:50:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Pandemic + tik tok = roller skating + blading is fashionable again.

I even saw a crew of skaters and rollerbladers on a session together recently filming with a vx lol.

TheDingus

« Reply #1934 on: September 02, 2023, 09:06:37 AM »

I used to think roger was smart and had good taste but then I saw what set up he was skating and all that went out the window
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 10:17:16 AM by TheDingus »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #1935 on: September 02, 2023, 10:17:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I used to think roger was smart and had good taste but then I saw what set up he was skating and all that went out tel he window
I immediately think a lot less of you if you ride a Powell board. George Powell has never skated. Jim still goes out to skate. Rickk is going on trips. The Boss is super human. George is a fat engineer.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #1936 on: September 02, 2023, 11:16:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I used to think roger was smart and had good taste but then I saw what set up he was skating and all that went out tel he window
[close]
I immediately think a lot less of you if you ride a Powell board. George Powell has never skated. Jim still goes out to skate. Rickk is going on trips. The Boss is super human. George is a fat engineer.
he also popped a pimple on his face and ate the pus when they were live once

Banned from the room

« Reply #1937 on: September 02, 2023, 11:36:40 AM »
9 clubs on fire recently.

It's really weird that I like it. I remember everything industry people ever said to me.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1108
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #1938 on: September 03, 2023, 04:58:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Maybe listen to that segment again, and hear his passion for his name and how much he hated people downplaying him and making him digestible to the average white tv viewer. I'm sure Selema wasn't mad at Crob, it's more about him hearing his story and respecting his passion and taking the time to be deliberate enough to not use the name he went on and on about.
It wasn't just a 30 second blurb about his nickname, he referenced how he felt normal in his skin when people took the time and energy to respect him and honor his wishes. I get that he probably was tired at the end of the interview, but i know if i was there, making sure i took the time to get it  right would be a pretty high priority after 20 minutes of explanation.
jus sayin

https://youtu.be/SOUKgLnt3oY?si=3cjIlNa3a-UlSORI
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #1939 on: September 06, 2023, 05:15:56 AM »
Just listening to the last Live now, and damn, Dubs pulling no punches on Soletech’s budget right in front of Kelly, who’s income relies on Soletech’s success.  He’s alluded to éS/Emerica not being big p(l)ayers before, but flat out saying they pay pros $1500/month and how it’s a fraction of the bigger companies is kinda rude lol.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #1940 on: September 06, 2023, 05:31:15 AM »
Just listening to the last Live now, and damn, Dubs pulling no punches on Soletech’s budget right in front of Kelly, who’s income relies on Soletech’s success.  He’s alluded to éS/Emerica not being big p(l)ayers before, but flat out saying they pay pros $1500/month and how it’s a fraction of the bigger companies is kinda rude lol.

I thought it was kinda funny how barely five minutes after that he goes on a big holier than thou tangent about "the haters" and clumsily tries to explain why it's okay when he does it.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #1941 on: September 06, 2023, 06:29:34 AM »

Didn't Kelly say something insinuating to it not even being that much? Crazy.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1942 on: September 06, 2023, 11:53:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

how do ya figure?
[close]

[close]

That's like saying a sledgehammer and a spoon can both destroy something. It's technically true, but you gotta try a hell of a lot harder with one of them.

I agree, but I'd liken it more to claw hammer vs sledgehammer, but the point stands.

The conversation always seems to devolve into "ride a bike, chip a ledge 100% of the time" and all I'm driving at is it's more nuanced than that. Gotta admit, if a loud 5050 feels and sounds good to skaters, I can only imagine a loud, aggro double peg feels just as good to BMX riders ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I still agree that BMX w/o plastic peg sleeves and trying to do grinds on ledges is pretty heinous, but I'll reference the 3rd and Army ledges are chunky and rounded off and it was mostly skateboards

Agree to disagree if you must
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1943 on: September 06, 2023, 03:19:59 PM »
Anyone notice that both clyde and sal called jeron out for being an older dude lurking around at parties?

TheDingus

« Reply #1944 on: September 06, 2023, 05:17:16 PM »
Anyone notice that both clyde and sal called jeron out for being an older dude lurking around at parties?

You’re not really paying attention when you listen are you

Those stories are from a long time ago when he wasn’t and older dude

Also all of those people you mentioned are around the Sam age so why would they call him out?

Tireeedd

• Rep: 86
« Reply #1945 on: September 06, 2023, 07:38:10 PM »

you got a timestamp for that?

sparklingrainwater

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1946 on: September 06, 2023, 09:34:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought it was kinda funny how barely five minutes after that he goes on a big holier than thou tangent about "the haters" and clumsily tries to explain why it's okay when he does it.
He's filling in the self-righteous mega-positive gap that Steezus left behind.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1947 on: September 06, 2023, 09:53:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also all of those people you mentioned are around the Sam age so why would they call him out?
dude clyde straight up said that he never wanted to be the 30 year old at the party in a diamond jacket. As a famous shit stirrer i don’t think that’s a coincidence. Then sal completely calls him out for being a creep at parties. Now i’ve never even met any of these ppl and i bet jeron is a decent guy but that is what they said

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #1948 on: September 07, 2023, 04:14:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
dude clyde straight up said that he never wanted to be the 30 year old at the party in a diamond jacket. As a famous shit stirrer i don’t think that’s a coincidence. Then sal completely calls him out for being a creep at parties. Now i’ve never even met any of these ppl and i bet jeron is a decent guy but that is what they said

Jeron may be the nicest human ever

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #1949 on: September 07, 2023, 05:56:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

how do ya figure?
[close]

[close]

That's like saying a sledgehammer and a spoon can both destroy something. It's technically true, but you gotta try a hell of a lot harder with one of them.
[close]

I agree, but I'd liken it more to claw hammer vs sledgehammer, but the point stands.

The conversation always seems to devolve into "ride a bike, chip a ledge 100% of the time" and all I'm driving at is it's more nuanced than that. Gotta admit, if a loud 5050 feels and sounds good to skaters, I can only imagine a loud, aggro double peg feels just as good to BMX riders ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I still agree that BMX w/o plastic peg sleeves and trying to do grinds on ledges is pretty heinous, but I'll reference the 3rd and Army ledges are chunky and rounded off and it was mostly skateboards

Agree to disagree if you must

I mean it's elementary physics that slamming downward on a 20+ pound metal bike using most of your body strength will chip a ledge easier than a sub 5 pound skateboard trying to ollie into something. There's not really much to disagree about. It's an objective difference.