Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 367178 times)

manuduncan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #1980 on: September 11, 2023, 12:57:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nine Club needs to take a break from interviewing YouTubers. No disrespect to luis Mora and his story but it just feels like Crob and co are pushing the YouTube thing too hard. It feels like interviewing these guys gives the nine club some extra views or likes by piggybacking their guest or just some free consultation on how to improve their stats.
[close]

But bro there’s a whole universe out there. YOUTUBE.
[close]

Take a break from interviewing youtubers and go back to bringing on uninteresting old heads
[close]

There's only one YouTuber anyone is interested to hear on the Nine Club and they seem pretty dismissive of him.
[close]

Chris just did a weird thing on his last live revealing the newest guest weeks out. He said we dont watch 100% of GH content. It was basically a sidestep and he directed the GH hate against kelly. I may be wrong, Thats how i took it. He said he loves constructive criticism. I somehow doubt it.
[close]

Look man. The problem is really simple. A bunch of never-grew-up man-children dont understand how to receive criticism or make amends for their shitty actions (Oblow debacle, how they handled it with their platform is notably worse than what some dude no one really thinks about said) and they have an audience of hundreds of thousands of people who did normal shit, maybe begrudgingly - went to school, got jobs, had responsibilities and just a fuckin sense of how to be a normal functioning adult in the world.

So enter someone like Joa, who is pretty much the most unconventional skateboard celebrity imaginable and bends the time-space continuum by being A) intelligent B) relatively well-adjusted C) a gaming nerd D) self-deprecating E) a ripping skater and F) a youtuber who also then can make fun of other youtubers because he's a ghost in the machine.

The NineClub would be doing themselves a MASSIVE solid/favor to have GH on and let him talk frankly and openly about all the shit that is wrong in skating (invariably, he will also talk about what's right with it) including being vulnerable to critiques of the actual show, and then rub a couple of brain cells together and respond to him in real time.

But they wont, because they have no idea how to actually process and respond to it when someone tells you you're doing something wrong. This is why toxic positivity and participation celebrations are a real thing. Fortunately (or unfortunately for these dudes and a lot of their guests) the real world will snap you back into reality very quickly.
[close]

Actually I meant George Poulos.
[close]

Oh my bad. sorry.
my point still stands about hater.

i feel like i've listened to a GH vid or stream where he says he wouldn't accept going on the 9 club if invited, same with the bunt because after like 5-10 min of "so what do you think is wrong with skateboarding content these days" then there'd be not enough to talk about

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #1981 on: September 11, 2023, 01:01:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nine Club needs to take a break from interviewing YouTubers. No disrespect to luis Mora and his story but it just feels like Crob and co are pushing the YouTube thing too hard. It feels like interviewing these guys gives the nine club some extra views or likes by piggybacking their guest or just some free consultation on how to improve their stats.
[close]

[close]

Take a break from interviewing youtubers and go back to bringing on uninteresting old heads
[close]

There's only one YouTuber anyone is interested to hear on the Nine Club and they seem pretty dismissive of him.
[close]

Chris just did a weird thing on his last live revealing the newest guest weeks out. He said we dont watch 100% of GH content. It was basically a sidestep and he directed the GH hate against kelly. I may be wrong, Thats how i took it. He said he loves constructive criticism. I somehow doubt it.
[close]

Look man. The problem is really simple. A bunch of never-grew-up man-children dont understand how to receive criticism or make amends for their shitty actions (Oblow debacle, how they handled it with their platform is notably worse than what some dude no one really thinks about said) and they have an audience of hundreds of thousands of people who did normal shit, maybe begrudgingly - went to school, got jobs, had responsibilities and just a fuckin sense of how to be a normal functioning adult in the world.

So enter someone like Joa, who is pretty much the most unconventional skateboard celebrity imaginable and bends the time-space continuum by being A) intelligent B) relatively well-adjusted C) a gaming nerd D) self-deprecating E) a ripping skater and F) a youtuber who also then can make fun of other youtubers because he's a ghost in the machine.

The NineClub would be doing themselves a MASSIVE solid/favor to have GH on and let him talk frankly and openly about all the shit that is wrong in skating (invariably, he will also talk about what's right with it) including being vulnerable to critiques of the actual show, and then rub a couple of brain cells together and respond to him in real time.

But they wont, because they have no idea how to actually process and respond to it when someone tells you you're doing something wrong. This is why toxic positivity and participation celebrations are a real thing. Fortunately (or unfortunately for these dudes and a lot of their guests) the real world will snap you back into reality very quickly.
[close]

[close]

Oh my bad. sorry.
[close]

i feel like i've listened to a GH vid or stream where he says he wouldn't accept going on the 9 club if invited, same with the bunt because after like 5-10 min of "so what do you think is wrong with skateboarding content these days" then there'd be not enough to talk about

I guess that's the self-awareness kicking in.
really though, his background story isnt terribly interesting either, but the NineClub usually backs it up to that point at least.

I think maybe the problem with the NineClub doing a three hour show about how Steve Berra is trash is it A) could keep away precious future sponsors and B) Joa already did it on his own platform for all the world to see, many many times.
ok thanks

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #1982 on: September 11, 2023, 01:03:37 PM »
I could be imagining things but I thought the GH Bunt episode was confirmed/announced.

Agree GH on Nine Club would never happen but totally should.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1983 on: September 11, 2023, 01:05:26 PM »
I could be imagining things but I thought the GH Bunt episode was confirmed/announced.

Agree GH on Nine Club would never happen but totally should.

That would be sick if true, on the back of the Beatrice episode alone.
ok thanks

WhoCareZ

« Reply #1984 on: September 11, 2023, 01:11:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh my bad. sorry.
[close]

This is why they should have multiple skate YT content creators on one episode

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #1985 on: September 11, 2023, 01:16:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh my bad. sorry.
[close]

[close]

really though, his background story isnt terribly interesting either, but the NineClub usually backs it up to that point at least.

I think maybe the problem with the NineClub doing a three hour show about how Steve Berra is trash is it A) could keep away precious future sponsors and B) Joa already did it on his own platform for all the world to see, many many times.

Im watching the Luis Mora episode and its painful...I couldn't see Crob being interested in Joa's videos.  Forgot how they're all connected with berrics, so he's probably on a no fly list 

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -37
« Reply #1986 on: September 11, 2023, 01:22:36 PM »

1h58m

Well, I guess I really ruined Chris's day with my comment.

Listen Chris, because I know you're lurking, I'm a fan of the nine club and I respect the hard work you put into the show to entertain us. Here's my issue: You guys have a major platform with the possibility to interview all kinds of people in the skate industry. A vast majority of your listeners are guys like me who have a few decades of skating under their wheels so it's natural that guests from bygone eras are going to pique our radars more than a younger fresher face we've never heard of. Especially in the case of youtubers who found their niche on a platform that's only really been exploited by the skate industry in the last few years. I see Pedro Delfino. I see Tom Asta. I see Gas Giants. These are skaters on youtube that interest me because besides their youtube channels providing great content, they're in the streets, the parks, the shops, the magazines, the videos... Not so much Luis Mota, NKA Vids, Ira Ingram, Chris Chann, Gary Veynerchuk et al. That said, I still listen to the episodes because maybe they have a great story to tell. Perhaps I jumped the shark with my extra views and stats comments but I can't help but feel somehow the analytics reflect it when such guests feature on the show.

I will say one thing though, it shows that you and the others are starting to do some homework on upcoming guests and the interviews are better for it. However, don't rely so much on your Ol' buddies for emotional support. There are plenty of us skaters out here and elsewhere who listen your show, like your show, respect your show but we'll also critique your show. If you enter the public sphere which are now very much a part of, you have to accept criticism. Granted some of it is baseless (nowadays faceless) but some of it is valuable. And, why not just say "so-and-so posted on Slap" rather than "someone commented" like you're trying to deny you follow this topic and forum closely? I can almost guarantee you that if you posted up here like Cliff, DGKalis, ISUCK etc did in the past, you'd probably get a ton more support and respect than you think.

Fuck, this post is too long. Apologies slappals, I just got a kick out of Chris reacting so fast to my earlier post that bumped the thread from page 3 to the front.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1987 on: September 11, 2023, 01:36:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

1h58m

Well, I guess I really ruined Chris's day with my comment.

Listen Chris, because I know you're lurking, I'm a fan of the nine club and I respect the hard work you put into the show to entertain us. Here's my issue: You guys have a major platform with the possibility to interview all kinds of people in the skate industry. A vast majority of your listeners are guys like me who have a few decades of skating under their wheels so it's natural that guests from bygone eras are going to pique our radars more than a younger fresher face we've never heard of. Especially in the case of youtubers who found their niche on a platform that's only really been exploited by the skate industry in the last few years. I see Pedro Delfino. I see Tom Asta. I see Gas Giants. These are skaters on youtube that interest me because besides their youtube channels providing great content, they're in the streets, the parks, the shops, the magazines, the videos... Not so much Luis Mota, NKA Vids, Ira Ingram, Chris Chann, Gary Veynerchuk et al. That said, I still listen to the episodes because maybe they have a great story to tell. Perhaps I jumped the shark with my extra views and stats comments but I can't help but feel somehow the analytics reflect it when such guests feature on the show.

I will say one thing though, it shows that you and the others are starting to do some homework on upcoming guests and the interviews are better for it. However, don't rely so much on your Ol' buddies for emotional support. There are plenty of us skaters out here and elsewhere who listen your show, like your show, respect your show but we'll also critique your show. If you enter the public sphere which are now very much a part of, you have to accept criticism. Granted some of it is baseless (nowadays faceless) but some of it is valuable. And, why not just say "so-and-so posted on Slap" rather than "someone commented" like you're trying to deny you follow this topic and forum closely? I can almost guarantee you that if you posted up here like Cliff, DGKalis, ISUCK etc did in the past, you'd probably get a ton more support and respect than you think.

Fuck, this post is too long. Apologies slappals, I just got a kick out of Chris reacting so fast to my earlier post that bumped the thread from page 3 to the front.

How defensive crob gets is, objectively, fucking hilarious.
We've got emotional 14 year olds running everything.
ok thanks

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
« Reply #1988 on: September 11, 2023, 01:42:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh my bad. sorry.
[close]

[close]

i thought i heard GH was gonna have a bunt episode in the next season? that would be a pretty good episode imo

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #1989 on: September 11, 2023, 01:47:38 PM »
The truth is the majority of the real skate industry knows the nine club is shit and isn’t going to really help your career. Just because you have the same 40 year old fans telling you they love you who either just started skating again after quitting at 15 or started for the first time and are learning to Ollie doesn’t mean you are the shit.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 142
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #1990 on: September 11, 2023, 02:37:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Very astute analysis. I think Joa's wit would sail clear over Crob and Kelly's (barely functioning) heads. Jeron knows what's up though.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1991 on: September 11, 2023, 02:49:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Very astute analysis. I think Joa's wit would sail clear over Crob and Kelly's (barely functioning) heads. Jeron knows what's up though.

Thanks.

True, but Jeron is too (genuinely) nice to banter like that. He's a sweetheart and a legitimately happy/positive guy. He wouldnt engage.
ok thanks

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -357
« Reply #1992 on: September 11, 2023, 02:52:20 PM »
Jeron dragged his fuckin toe on the way to a flat ledge trick.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #1993 on: September 11, 2023, 03:12:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks.

True, but Jeron is too (genuinely) nice to banter like that. He's a sweetheart and a legitimately happy/positive guy. He wouldnt engage.
at the 44min mark Jeron responds to Luis bringing up gifted and he says they all have to bite their tongues, and they don't want to put themselves out there in that way.  They didn't even acknowledge gifted in that part...

I gave up after an hour did anyone watch the whole thing and knows if he brings gifted back up to them

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1994 on: September 11, 2023, 03:23:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks.

[close]
at the 44min mark Jeron responds to Luis bringing up gifted and he says they all have to bite their tongues, and they don't want to put themselves out there in that way.  They didn't even acknowledge gifted in that part...

My god that's pathetic. I literally lol'd reading that. get some fuckin spines, dudes.

I did not watch the episode and dont care about it.

Edit: ok I did go and watch this and its amazing. No one can deny, not even this Luis dude, that GH has a role to play and what it is is wholly defined as being honest and keeping it real, and then the NC goes on to basically detonate that idea by saying "there is a lot of shitty skating and we just put that aside and dont talk about it."

No one cares about the shitty skating. Zach Dowdy just posted a fuckin three hour video of him trying to learn a 360 flip before social security checks arrive.

That's not what any of this is about and you know it. Buddy right now you guys are not helping skateboarding culture, and sadly by some fucking stroke of luck you have the platform to help it or dismantle it and you seem bent on the latter.

I'll hand it to this Luis dude, he is schooling them in what it's like to be an adult and take some criticism and do something with it and not be a soft-ass care bear afraid to have their feelings hurt.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 03:33:16 PM by bigdave »
ok thanks

WhoCareZ

« Reply #1995 on: September 11, 2023, 03:53:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks.

[close]
[close]

My god that's pathetic. I literally lol'd reading that. get some fuckin spines, dudes.

I did not watch the episode and dont care about it.

Edit: ok I did go and watch this and its amazing. No one can deny, not even this Luis dude, that GH has a role to play and what it is is wholly defined as being honest and keeping it real, and then the NC goes on to basically detonate that idea by saying "there is a lot of shitty skating and we just put that aside and dont talk about it."

No one cares about the shitty skating. Zach Dowdy just posted a fuckin three hour video of him trying to learn a 360 flip before social security checks arrive.

That's not what any of this is about and you know it. Buddy right now you guys are not helping skateboarding culture, and sadly by some fucking stroke of luck you have the platform to help it or dismantle it and you seem bent on the latter.

I'll hand it to this Luis dude, he is schooling them in what it's like to be an adult and take some criticism and do something with it and not be a soft-ass care bear afraid to have their feelings hurt.

Yeah I really liked this episode. They need more of these people on, if only to get some genuine enthusiasm from Chris.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1996 on: September 11, 2023, 05:44:57 PM »
All these guys get feelings anytime gifted hater is brought up
But gifted hater isn’t even really a hater, he’s more Mikey well researched and well thought out and entertaining. He deep dives where the nine club only goes a few inches.

WhoCareZ

« Reply #1997 on: September 11, 2023, 07:29:04 PM »
He deep dives where the nine club only goes a few inches.

How deep did he dive into you to deserve that glowing review?

Bill Salt

« Reply #1998 on: September 13, 2023, 06:17:37 AM »

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #1999 on: September 13, 2023, 08:53:47 AM »
I've honestly never heard or seen this guy. I've pretty much seen or have heard others mention them but never this guy. Almost 2Mil sub? Impressive! Listing now.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2000 on: September 13, 2023, 09:02:42 AM »
“I don’t care, it’s just funny to me”

SSUUURREEEE

rkulla

« Reply #2001 on: September 13, 2023, 02:30:55 PM »
Perhaps the Nine Club needs a disclaimer/trigger warning about how not every guest will be who you want, but they like giving more people a voice and cross pollinating to expose more people to more people (and how that's not a bad thing).

They definitely have said that many times, as well as how they don't like to get into arguments with guests because that would be a bad strategy to get more guests to come on and/or open up. 

I think anyone who watches the live shows has heard them discuss all of this ad nauseam but people who only watch the main interview don't seem to get it.  My guess is they figure any true fans of the show will watch the live shows and hear all of this... idk.

djoekr

• Rep: 324
« Reply #2002 on: September 14, 2023, 02:43:55 AM »
They definitely have said that many times, as well as how they don't like to get into arguments with guests because that would be a bad strategy to get more guests to come on and/or open up.

As a journalist, that seems like such a horrible take. Sure, if I just write about what my interviewees want to read about themselves, I'd probably be able to speak with a wide selection of people. However, I'd be writing the most basic, milquetoast stories without any level of depth. Getting a lot of different guests is important for the Nine Club, sure, but if there's no actual substance in the interviews, people are eventually gonna get bored. There's a difference between constantly argueing and annoying guests and being a perceptive interviewer.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

InkkeACAB

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2003 on: September 14, 2023, 02:47:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As a journalist, that seems like such a horrible take. Sure, if I just write about what my interviewees want to read about themselves, I'd probably be able to speak with a wide selection of people. However, I'd be writing the most basic, milquetoast stories without any level of depth. Getting a lot of different guests is important for the Nine Club, sure, but if there's no actual substance in the interviews, people are eventually gonna get bored. There's a difference between constantly argueing and annoying guests and being a perceptive interviewer.

bombsquid

• Rep: -1
« Reply #2004 on: September 14, 2023, 04:04:14 AM »
The 9 Club for me is skaters and skate affiliated people telling their story. A source of biographical information. When did he/she started skating, the journey from then to now and so on. It has been mentioned here already, but a single show like The 9 Club can't be everything everyone wants it to be. Chris & Co chose to be easy listening storytelling and soft questions. Probably because it suits them in the way they are as people, but also to even get guests on the show. Each podcast/show is free to do whatever they want.

The real world is different to stupid Youtube comments. The 9 Club would not exist if their "niche" was to morally condemn their guests and drag them through the mud for whatever stupid shit they've done up through the times.

Bill Salt

« Reply #2005 on: September 14, 2023, 04:11:01 AM »
Can't wait for Aaron Kyro's venue!

rkulla

« Reply #2006 on: September 14, 2023, 08:02:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They often have 3-5 hour long interviews week after week that I watch all of the way through, unlike other podcasts. So I think they're clearly doing something right but  I'm also the type of person who watches WhereTheLocalsSk8, which often has completely unknown/locals and I find that entertaining too because it's fun to hear people talking skating regardless of who they are.  They timestamp everything and have a highlights channel too.

I hear them try to prod more out of guests all the time, often successfully. They also have talked about how some guests say they won't answer certain topics, during the pre-show warmup.

bombsquid got it right, it's just their easy going style. They brought Jeron Wilson (the nicest/coolest guy ever) in. If they wanted to bring someone the opposite in they would have, and it would be a completely different show. I'm happy with this one.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #2007 on: September 14, 2023, 08:10:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I dont think crob considers himself a journalist. He knows hes just a talk show host. He doesnt claim to be hard hitting or anything. Even the bunt doesnt want controversy anymore. 'Last person you want on the sesh?' 'Cops' *gunfire soundbite*

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 440
« Reply #2008 on: September 14, 2023, 08:33:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I dont think crob considers himself a journalist. He knows hes just a talk show host. He doesnt claim to be hard hitting or anything. Even the bunt doesnt want controversy anymore. 'Last person you want on the sesh?' 'Cops' *gunfire soundbite*

"Oh shittt, you a real one for that one dawg" "Damn degggy, not holding anything back"
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #2009 on: September 14, 2023, 09:05:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

"Oh shittt, you a real one for that one dawg" "Damn degggy, not holding anything back"

“Most illegal trick?”
“Anything that doesn’t make you want to smile and hug your homies”