Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 108389 times)

k-nutz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #510 on: May 10, 2020, 10:32:18 AM »
Heath didn’t fit on Alien. May I Rest In Peace.

I've always wondered why he and Berra always jumped board teams together. They didn't seem to be that close.  Were they a package deal?

Saint Coke

« Reply #511 on: May 10, 2020, 10:33:28 AM »
I can see why people like Dylan. He seem's very humble.

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #512 on: May 10, 2020, 03:05:00 PM »
I'm kinda into where rollerblading is at.

"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

ay_dawg

• Rep: 3
« Reply #513 on: May 10, 2020, 03:31:46 PM »
I'm probably gonna get destroyed for this, but(t) fuck it.

- I don't care for Mark Suciu, i think he has an average style, skates slow and doesn't hold his grinds.
- I actually like Dill as well, he may have fried his brain from drugs, but he's entertaining to listen to.
- Neen Williams is ok with me, i like his skating and doing pretty well for himself staying healthy.
- Beagle is awful filmer with terrible angles.
- Non skate related, i think the Beatles are the most overrated band, and i can't stand them. I think rock music still would have existed without them, i get tired of people saying they defined music.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #514 on: May 10, 2020, 03:51:28 PM »

- I don't care for Mark Suciu, i think he has an average style, skates slow and doesn't hold his grinds.
- I actually like Dill as well, he may have fried his brain from drugs, but he's entertaining to listen to.
- Neen Williams is ok with me, i like his skating and doing pretty well for himself staying healthy.
- Non skate related, i think the Beatles are the most overrated band, and i can't stand them. I think rock music still would have existed without them, i get tired of people saying they defined music.
Nah man, you're not gonna get destroyed for those opinions because nobody gives a flying fuck.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #515 on: May 10, 2020, 03:53:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I thought the Beastie Boys doc sucked. And they were the soundtrack to my skatelife 85-95.
[close]

I’m a fan, but objectively they are not great musicians and the only flow they managed to make work was ‘Ch-Check it Out’, where they finally found an off-kilter cadence that tied up their amateurish rhyming with Jr High school humor, and faux-old school beats and made it work perfectly, and sound like something of their own.

Everything else has parts of good songs. Some have great beats ahead of their time (Paul’s Boutique and Check your head), some have good rhyming (but usually mitigated by nasally high voices) but mostly they sound second-rate at everything they did.

That amateurish approach was endearing, but not anything near the skill and quality that came from all other areas of rap.
[close]

There's good rhymes on basically every album from Paul's Boutique to Hello Nasty, mainly in the Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, Ill Communication era. Specifically MCA had solid flow a lot of times. I would definitely not call it amateurish, just their own thing. Honestly for the late 80's and early 90's they were kinda on point - unless we're talking Tribe, De La Soul, or Public Enemy or something the rapping was probably kinda trash. We still had like LL Cool J type shit and Run DMC. This was a few years before Nas, Biggie, and Wu revolutionized shit. Fucking A the Beastie Boys had more solid flow than most of the guys in NWA.
[close]

Have you ever considered different ways to listen to music other than the radio?? you know about cd's and mixtapes-demos I assume?  The late 80's to early 90's is the highest point in history for this genre of music, from NYC to the south all the way to the west. There's more to rap than a highschool mixtape made out of the same 11 songs everyone has heard. Forget about "revolution", its called Progression.
[close]

This, Nas style of rhymes already was made by Rakim and Kool G Rap in late 80s.
Beastie boys is overrated and white privilege. How many black groups was better and  hadnt the same recognition. Tribe, de la soul and the roots are better but underrated bands.
[close]

Don't make it racial dude
[close]

His Beastie Boys comment is very ignorant.
[close]

Whoaaa... Im lying, mtf? A Tribe is far better than Beastie Boys. But they are so low key.

RIP Phife Dawg.
[close]

Isn’t this like saying Metallica is better than sabbath? Beasties were touring with run DMc before tribe was even a thing.
[close]

What a weird comparasion. the fact that  band is older does not mean thats better. Wu is better than Run DMC, but Metallica is not better than Sabbath.
A Tribe made 3 perfect albums in a row. You can listen all the songs without skip tracks. But beastie boys, man. They scream, dude. If you arent Busta, ODB, DMX or KRS One, dont scream, please!!

i'm definitely not going to knock tribe, they are amazing and still play their albums all the time but beasties did a lot more than just chill hip hop, they were more diverse, part of the origins of rap and were active a lot longer. some of their stuff didn't age as well as others but i think it's pretty close minded to try and dismiss them as anything less than a great band which had huge impact.

that said their early songs have been some of me and my kids first music that we shared which was pretty amazing, getting to revisit all that silly shit from my childhood with my kids at the same age.

i agree with dill, neen. i don't get the beatles hate. a lot of people love to hate the beatles and i don't really get why. they have so many good songs. this will always be one of my favorite songs.

they could have very easily just been another early rock back that faded into obscurity but went on to do all kinds of crazy diverse music from a group of really talented folks. i can get not feeling their vibe but like with the beasties i can't imagine not appreciating their impact, diversity and craft.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 03:55:46 PM by Sleazy »

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #516 on: May 10, 2020, 04:05:14 PM »

Youre right about Beatles.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #517 on: May 10, 2020, 04:14:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I thought the Beastie Boys doc sucked. And they were the soundtrack to my skatelife 85-95.
[close]

I’m a fan, but objectively they are not great musicians and the only flow they managed to make work was ‘Ch-Check it Out’, where they finally found an off-kilter cadence that tied up their amateurish rhyming with Jr High school humor, and faux-old school beats and made it work perfectly, and sound like something of their own.

Everything else has parts of good songs. Some have great beats ahead of their time (Paul’s Boutique and Check your head), some have good rhyming (but usually mitigated by nasally high voices) but mostly they sound second-rate at everything they did.

That amateurish approach was endearing, but not anything near the skill and quality that came from all other areas of rap.
[close]

There's good rhymes on basically every album from Paul's Boutique to Hello Nasty, mainly in the Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, Ill Communication era. Specifically MCA had solid flow a lot of times. I would definitely not call it amateurish, just their own thing. Honestly for the late 80's and early 90's they were kinda on point - unless we're talking Tribe, De La Soul, or Public Enemy or something the rapping was probably kinda trash. We still had like LL Cool J type shit and Run DMC. This was a few years before Nas, Biggie, and Wu revolutionized shit. Fucking A the Beastie Boys had more solid flow than most of the guys in NWA.
[close]

Have you ever considered different ways to listen to music other than the radio?? you know about cd's and mixtapes-demos I assume?  The late 80's to early 90's is the highest point in history for this genre of music, from NYC to the south all the way to the west. There's more to rap than a highschool mixtape made out of the same 11 songs everyone has heard. Forget about "revolution", its called Progression.
[close]

Beastie boys is overrated and white privilege. How many black groups was better and  hadnt the same recognition. Tribe, de la soul and the roots are better but underrated bands.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Whoaaa... Im lying, mtf? A Tribe is far better than Beastie Boys. But they are so low key.

RIP Phife Dawg.
[close]

Isn’t this like saying Metallica is better than sabbath? Beasties were touring with run DMc before tribe was even a thing.
[close]

What a weird comparasion. the fact that  band is older does not mean thats better. Wu is better than Run DMC, but Metallica is not better than Sabbath.
A Tribe made 3 perfect albums in a row. You can listen all the songs without skip tracks. But beastie boys, man. They scream, dude. If you arent Busta, ODB, DMX or KRS One, dont scream, please!!
[close]

i'm definitely not going to knock tribe, they are amazing and still play their albums all the time but beasties did a lot more than just chill hip hop, they were more diverse, part of the origins of rap and were active a lot longer. some of their stuff didn't age as well as others but i think it's pretty close minded to try and dismiss them as anything less than a great band which had huge impact.

that said their early songs have been some of me and my kids first music that we shared which was pretty amazing, getting to revisit all that silly shit from my childhood with my kids at the same age.

Expand Quote

[close]

i agree with dill, neen. i don't get the beatles hate. a lot of people love to hate the beatles and i don't really get why. they have so many good songs. this will always be one of my favorite songs.

they could have very easily just been another early rock back that faded into obscurity but went on to do all kinds of crazy diverse music from a group of really talented folks. i can get not feeling their vibe but like with the beasties i can't imagine not appreciating their impact, diversity and craft.

Punk Rock and Heavy Metal shit has nothing to do with hip hop.  Some colabs for money, but it doesnt work well. 

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #518 on: May 10, 2020, 04:53:50 PM »
“Never trust anybody that says they don’t like the Beatles. If they say they don’t like the Beatles, that’s how you know they are a fucking idiot.” -Buzz Osborne

Mew

• Rep: -31
« Reply #519 on: May 10, 2020, 04:54:51 PM »
Charmander > Squirtle

computerdate

• Rep: 18
  • I hope they keep down the price of gas
« Reply #520 on: May 10, 2020, 05:22:30 PM »
Led Zeppelin sucks

Mew

« Reply #521 on: May 10, 2020, 05:31:42 PM »
Led Zeppelin sucks

I would almost agree but their bass player is too good

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #522 on: May 10, 2020, 06:16:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP Phife Dawg.
[close]

Ummm that’s a goddamned lie and you shut your hole......

I have to ask was that question serious? If so either your an idiot or a genius depending on how you favor bands mentioned.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #523 on: May 10, 2020, 06:21:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

RIP Phife Dawg.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Punk Rock and Heavy Metal shit has nothing to do with hip hop.  Some colabs for money, but it doesnt work well.
Ahemmmmm Stiza with Kanye West,

Mew

« Reply #524 on: May 10, 2020, 06:28:43 PM »
Roxy Music sucks

Mongoloid

« Reply #525 on: May 10, 2020, 06:59:40 PM »
Led Zeppelin sucks

I always get an icky record industry pre-fab vibe from Led Zeppelin. However, Anytime I have listened to the records I realize my preconceived notion is just that of a snooty contrarian.

You just won’t hear me singing their praises aloud.

The Who however is straight garbage. The Stones wanted so much to be anything other than British, and I found their fascination in emulating American Blues tiresome. I do like them, but they exist as a stylistic doppelgänger of their black influences.

The Beatles covered so much ground sonically that it’s almost foolish to write them off entirely.

To me the Kinks were #1, with the Beatles a close second. The Kinks were so entirely authentic in the way in which they exude “Britishness”. It never felt like they wanted to be anything other than what they are, and the body of work in my opinion deserves its place amongst the conventional conversation.

Mongoloid

« Reply #526 on: May 10, 2020, 07:01:08 PM »
Roxy Music sucks

Supremely awful opinion that deserves ridicule.

The debut record is easily one of the greatest records  of the first half of the 70’s decade.

Mew

« Reply #527 on: May 11, 2020, 03:02:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Roxy Music sucks
[close]

Supremely awful opinion that deserves ridicule.

The debut record is easily one of the greatest records  of the first half of the 70’s decade.

Rolling Stones are garbage

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #528 on: May 11, 2020, 03:33:23 AM »
Rolling Stones are garbage

Led Zeppelin sucks

These. Paint it Black is their one good song and Zeppelin were biters who habitually settled famous songs out of court.

Mew

« Reply #529 on: May 11, 2020, 03:35:11 AM »
agreed

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
« Reply #530 on: May 11, 2020, 04:56:02 AM »
Can you edgelord fucks tell me what your favorite music is so I can crap on it too?

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #531 on: May 11, 2020, 04:58:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Led Zeppelin sucks
[close]

I always get an icky record industry pre-fab vibe from Led Zeppelin. However, Anytime I have listened to the records I realize my preconceived notion is just that of a snooty contrarian.

The Who however is straight garbage. The Stones wanted so much to be anything other than British, and I found their fascination in emulating American Blues tiresome. I do like them, but they exist as a stylistic doppelgänger of their black influences.

The Beatles covered so much ground sonically that it’s almost foolish to write them off entirely.

To me the Kinks were #1, with the Beatles a close second. The Kinks were so entirely authentic in the way in which they exude “Britishness”. It never felt like they wanted to be anything other than what they are, and the body of work in my opinion deserves its place amongst the conventional conversation.

So the most important thing for you is ‘Britishness’? What kind of NF crap is that?

boogs

« Reply #532 on: May 11, 2020, 06:00:55 AM »
Can you edgelord fucks tell me what your favorite music is so I can crap on it too?
amapiano

Banned from the room

« Reply #533 on: May 11, 2020, 06:22:29 AM »

Led Zep is trash.

Crap away

Mongoloid

« Reply #534 on: May 11, 2020, 06:29:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Led Zeppelin sucks
[close]

[close]

So the most important thing for you is ‘Britishness’? What kind of NF crap is that?

No, authenticity you fucking goober.

Mew

« Reply #535 on: May 11, 2020, 06:30:17 AM »
*headbangs furiously*

Saint Coke

« Reply #536 on: May 11, 2020, 07:46:46 AM »
YOU WANNA LISTEN TO SOME PAPER KITES AND HUNT MUSHROOMS!!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg3qQXm8d-FKwTtj7UpfZMnjFYvkT-7qL

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #537 on: May 11, 2020, 08:53:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Led Zeppelin sucks
[close]

[close]

[close]

So go listen to some guy sitting on a stool strumming acoustic folk, you putz

Mongoloid

« Reply #538 on: May 11, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Led Zeppelin sucks
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

So go listen to some guy sitting on a stool strumming acoustic folk, you putz

You’re giving off strong “jerks off to Kings of Leon” vibes rightnow.

bugtown

• Rep: 47
« Reply #539 on: May 11, 2020, 10:33:03 AM »
wallies are just street flyouts