Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 108421 times)

Yoda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #660 on: May 18, 2020, 09:45:23 PM »
Rey, stu[idest fucking character she is.

Zephyr-Cum

• Rep: -103
  • DIE
« Reply #661 on: May 19, 2020, 12:11:38 AM »
I don't get drunks.
They're hard to understand.

I get the cultural importance and heritage. but yeah, nope
It is pretty pathetic.
I AM A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION.

"Shalom".

TunaNoodle

• Rep: 6
« Reply #662 on: May 19, 2020, 03:02:31 AM »
Rothko is boring, and most people pretending to get some great emotional response from his work are faking it.

Ocelot

« Reply #663 on: May 19, 2020, 04:58:35 AM »
Rothko is boring, and most people pretending to get some great emotional response from his work are faking it.

have you ever seen his work in person?

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #664 on: May 19, 2020, 08:44:40 AM »

The works are compelling if you consider color theory. Think about Bauhaus writings on color and Josef Alber’s work.  Michel Eugene Chevreul wrote on color. Plenty of Italian painters decades before wrote on color.  Lots of articles and theory on color exist. Consider your reaction to each color, and the reaction achieved without any figurative representation

Then consider the arrangement of the color fields, the weight of each image/artwork due to color choice and composition, the Abstract foreground and background. There is no vanishing point but if you imagine it not existing on a single plane it adds depth. Lighting and presentation is an element also. Scale is important here.

Im not writing this to say he’s the best artist ever or defending his work. Maybe you can derive some satisfaction from his work with this in mind.

nothing's been the since same

NBD4ABD

« Reply #665 on: May 19, 2020, 08:47:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have and I agree with tuna noodle.

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #666 on: May 19, 2020, 09:00:33 AM »
I recommend spending a few minutes in the Rothko Chapel if you ever get the opportunity. I didn't appreciate him until I sat in that room and saw the brush strokes and the labor involved that it clicked for me. I still don't know that I "get it," but I definitely appreciate it now.

TunaNoodle

• Rep: 6
« Reply #667 on: May 19, 2020, 09:32:11 AM »
I haven't been to the chapel, but have seen his work in person. I like the work in general, and can appreciate it. All these people claiming to be moved to tears and whatnot, I just don't get it. It doesn't speak to me.

I don't like Basquiat either.

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #668 on: May 19, 2020, 09:41:10 AM »
I haven't been to the chapel, but have seen his work in person. I like the work in general, and can appreciate it. All these people claiming to be moved to tears and whatnot, I just don't get it. It doesn't speak to me.

I feel ya. White yuppies like to get into a religious fervor about paintings to seem smart and deep and it's annoying.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
« Reply #669 on: May 19, 2020, 09:44:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I feel ya. White yuppies like to get into a religious fervor about paintings to seem smart and deep and it's annoying.

A bit like saying hoodrats get into a religious fervor about Biggie and Pac and their lives didn’t merit such adoration

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #670 on: May 19, 2020, 12:40:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I have and I agree with tuna noodle.
With the exception of historically/culturally significant pieces in their respective medium, museums are nothing more than institutions for visually scamming rich morons and art charlatans.

Expand Quote

[close]
If you hear these people spouting in real life about their artistically-inclined gift of perception and what they claim each painting represents/makes them feel, you'll fall over laughing at their horseshit.

How said scam works - once someone is "disovered", the market value of an artist's "work" is established through proper protocols. Then it's about manufactuing as many shitty pieces of art while maintaining the illusion of scarcity and exclusiveness. I don't care for Banksy in general but Exit Through the Gift Shop does an excellent job at displaying the process, and the importance of the audience needing to be fooled. Be it shitty stencil "street art" or another hack like Rothko, the process is the same. Listen to how the believers talk about brush strokes on a piece of shit canvas with some random lines and a few wonky squares. Rich. Criticism involving common sense when it comes to contemporary art is always loaded, so if you don't agree with their dumb rhetoric, you're instantly labelled as someone who "doesn't get it". It's as hilarious as off-putting and asinine. Contemporary art is for kooked dedicated liars.

Basquiat should've stuck to just writing poetry on the streets, some of his words were actually moving. Then Warhol the hack saw him as dollar signs and turned him into an insufferable hip dood under the false pretense of guidance. Typical in the art world. Any world, really.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #671 on: May 19, 2020, 01:29:14 PM »
Over GX unless they put out another banger as heavy as Roll Up. Enough Koston and beer ads, shit is too much.

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #672 on: May 19, 2020, 02:09:14 PM »
i got so used to hd footage, vx is now hard on my eyes and i dont really enjoy it as much as i used to anymore.

Double Thick Filbert

• Rep: -56
« Reply #673 on: May 19, 2020, 02:23:50 PM »
Rothko and Basquiat are both great painters. They are mainstream names due to the ridiculous prices their work goes for. Because of this, people who don't care, or know shit about modernism often bring their work up, outing themselves as kooks in the process.

Type of people that would link Richie Jackson clips, if they didn't skate. Sick Fucks.

computerdate

• Rep: 18
  • I hope they keep down the price of gas
« Reply #674 on: May 19, 2020, 03:04:47 PM »
Internet “Meme culture” has irreparably damaged modern music and pretty much every other form of expression

Saint Coke

« Reply #675 on: May 19, 2020, 03:23:07 PM »
Internet “Meme culture” has irreparably damaged modern music and pretty much every other form of expression
Memes essentially make children retarted.

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -734
  • My daughter is my world.
« Reply #676 on: May 19, 2020, 03:32:26 PM »
With the exception of Rodrigo TX and Tiago all Brazilian street skaters have the exact same robotic boring style.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
« Reply #677 on: May 19, 2020, 03:54:00 PM »
With the exception of Rodrigo TX and Tiago all Brazilian street skaters have the exact same robotic boring style.

Is that unpopular on SLAP?

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #678 on: May 19, 2020, 08:34:13 PM »
On point.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #679 on: May 19, 2020, 08:35:56 PM »

Can you elaborate on this? Genuinely interested to hear what you mean by this specifically.

computerdate

• Rep: 18
  • I hope they keep down the price of gas
« Reply #680 on: May 19, 2020, 08:48:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can you elaborate on this? Genuinely interested to hear what you mean by this specifically.

It’s admittedly hard to put into words, but if you’ve ever seen Anthony Fantano videos, you’ll kinda see what I mean. Perhaps I’m exaggerating slightly, but there’s no denying the modern music landscape has changed, and it’s for the worst in my opinion. Everything is reduced to ironic jokes, about “aesthetics”, and about your social media presence. Everything has become nihilistic and insincere and I just find it kind of gross.

Krile

• Rep: -91
  • I train moogles
« Reply #681 on: May 19, 2020, 08:52:01 PM »
Slap is a trash website full of wannabes know-it-alls and straight up retards
I'm normally against vibing and the like but Idk anymore with these perved out anime kids. Now I think we need to go back to robbing kids boards at gunpoint if they show up to the spot. Wheres young Stevi

Krile

• I train moogles
« Reply #682 on: May 19, 2020, 08:53:54 PM »
Skateboarding is doomed and ya'll motherfuckers are directly responsible. Congratulations on ruining the only good thing left on earth.

Shop videos are redundant trash. The Olympics and Street League are all that's left of what was once a lifestyle.
I'm normally against vibing and the like but Idk anymore with these perved out anime kids. Now I think we need to go back to robbing kids boards at gunpoint if they show up to the spot. Wheres young Stevi

Krile

• I train moogles
« Reply #683 on: May 19, 2020, 08:55:49 PM »
money worshiping hipster jock faggots.

Shalom Iginla

« Reply #684 on: May 19, 2020, 09:11:40 PM »

Woah woah, cool it with the homophobia and the antisemitism, buddy.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #685 on: May 19, 2020, 09:51:34 PM »
Imagine spending years carving out a beautiful marble statue, then it being reduced to Instagram likes because Blodney posed next to it with a mesmerizing caption about tomatoes and beans. Even worse for the artist, it could somehow end up as a Crailtap "meme". This is art now.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #686 on: May 19, 2020, 09:58:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Woah woah, cool it with the homophobia and the antisemitism, buddy.

Haha that's kinda racist to assume he meant Jews. Unless that's the joke...hmm

Tyson

• Rep: 1
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #687 on: May 19, 2020, 10:28:36 PM »
Ok boomer

Double Thick Filbert

• Rep: -56
« Reply #688 on: May 20, 2020, 12:46:59 AM »
Imagine spending years carving out a beautiful marble statue, then it being reduced to Instagram likes because Blodney posed next to it with a mesmerizing caption about tomatoes and beans. Even worse for the artist, it could somehow end up as a Crailtap "meme". This is art now.

Yeah man imagine creating art that is still relevant and referred to 500 years after you did it. How horrible for the artist.  :'(

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #689 on: May 20, 2020, 12:51:30 AM »
Don't know if they'd want the legacy of their work to be compromised with such perversions. Then again, they might.