Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 108342 times)

Brguy

Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1500 on: December 24, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here’s my unpopular opinion:

People should stop putting so much emphasis on their truck set-ups and skate more.

Your trucks suck because you don’t skate enough to break them in and get used to them.

I get changing bushings... but freaking out because you might have the ‘wrong’ pivot cup ? Jesus...
[close]
Same with wheelbase etc. IMO

Sure there are minimal changes but if you actually just skate you can get used to them. No, your flip tricks are shit because you got a 14.25 instead of a 14.38 wheelbase it's because you are just a bitch trying to look for excuses
[close]
Imo wheelbase is more important than width.
[close]
For sure, wheelbase dictates how far you have to kick your board and it can be really annoying to get used to. Sure you can learn to skate whatever, but in this case it's better to just go with whatever is comfortable. Blaming the setup is a pussy move no matter what, though.
[close]
i don't know. i stopped worrying about wheelbase. personally i could never pinpoint differences in the ride due to it. probably should stick to shorter boards tho, since i am a short dude. to me it's all about how the tailpocket feels and that the width is comfortable. preferably 8.25 width but as long as it somewhat fits the trucks, it's all about feeling good on the shape for me. i hate standing on too flat boards, they also always feel longer to me than they are.
It has to be a big difference, but when you notice it it's really noticeable.

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 138
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1501 on: December 24, 2020, 11:10:31 AM »
Maybe this covid-19 is a good thing for gatekeeeping the skate scene, hear me out condensing and consolidating the "core" brands will kill off the whack brands. 

Brands that need to go and or wouldn't be missed
Plan B
Grizzly
Thank You
Braille
Remive
Enjoi
Bronson
DGK
Darkstar
Consolidated
Loser Machine
Shake Junt
JK Industries
Birdhouse

As you can tell there's some questionable brands and some riders could stay but the brand could be poof gone and I wouldn't give a shit.

I'm pretty sure sales of most brands are higher than ever due to people getting into skating and shortages though? I do agree with your list aside from Enjoi though

ballintoohard

« Reply #1502 on: December 24, 2020, 11:26:27 AM »
Anti-Hero is basically a frat.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1503 on: December 24, 2020, 12:26:53 PM »
Flat boards always seemed like a rip off to me. They seem popless and lifeless from the get-go and just don’t feel very cool. I only bought one Girl deck back in the day and was like wtf how does such a great team skate on this boring shite

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1504 on: December 24, 2020, 12:30:46 PM »
Flat boards always seemed like a rip off to me. They seem popless and lifeless from the get-go and just don’t feel very cool. I only bought one Girl deck back in the day and was like wtf how does such a great team skate on this boring shite
as someone who skates flatter board, i can get where you're coming from tbh. i switched to a lower concave board because my steep concave board was hurting the part of my arch that was on the end of the board and it's so much lamer to ride. i wish i could find a way to ride steeper again without the pain.
i rode a medium concave girl a while ago though and honestly it was probably my favorite deck. held its pop for a while and was a great shape.

Croquet temper

« Reply #1505 on: December 24, 2020, 12:49:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
as someone who skates flatter board, i can get where you're coming from tbh. i switched to a lower concave board because my steep concave board was hurting the part of my arch that was on the end of the board and it's so much lamer to ride. i wish i could find a way to ride steeper again without the pain.
i rode a medium concave girl a while ago though and honestly it was probably my favorite deck. held its pop for a while and was a great shape.

Yeah, I think it has to do with my feet having less points of reference and it already feeling like a spent deck I’ve already landed upside down on like 1000 times

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1506 on: December 24, 2020, 12:57:24 PM »
Fucking Awesome is the corniest company name ever

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1507 on: December 24, 2020, 01:05:43 PM »
Anti-Hero is basically a frat.

Love this. Alpha dog nonsense.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #1508 on: December 24, 2020, 01:27:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Zwan > Smashing Pumpkins
[close]

please elaborate
[close]

Smashing pumpkins have some good stuff, but a LOT of bad stuff. The only album they did as Zwan was good. Better track record for me, in my (unpopular) opinion.
i disagree with this fervently and think the Zwan record sucks shit, but i want you to know that i respect you and this take.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 62
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #1509 on: December 24, 2020, 01:31:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Zwan > Smashing Pumpkins
[close]

please elaborate
[close]

Smashing pumpkins have some good stuff, but a LOT of bad stuff. The only album they did as Zwan was good. Better track record for me, in my (unpopular) opinion.
[close]
i disagree with this fervently and think the Zwan record sucks shit, but i want you to know that i respect you and this take.

Know that I’m NOT saying Smashing pumpkins aren’t good just that I enjoyed that album more. Most (maybe everyone) tell me they feel the exact opposite.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #1510 on: December 24, 2020, 01:32:45 PM »
Fucking Awesome is the corniest company name ever
Yezzir
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1511 on: December 24, 2020, 01:35:31 PM »
you can make a million machina: the machines of god if you make 1 (one) siamese dream and it’ll outweigh anything else you ever do

shrimptoastcrunch

« Reply #1512 on: December 24, 2020, 01:38:35 PM »
Max Geronzi is not talented or interesting enough to have a series named after him.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #1513 on: December 24, 2020, 01:43:37 PM »
you can make a million machina: the machines of god if you make 1 (one) siamese dream and it’ll outweigh anything else you ever do
there are some songs on adore that really push this statement to the edge. never see them live. i haven’t enjoyed their music as much in years because i saw them with marilyn manson and it was hands down the most flaccid thing i’ve ever seen

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #1514 on: December 24, 2020, 01:45:27 PM »
The keep-skating-underground-staby-vx-eurpoean-free-jazz-soundtrack-skateboarding is just as embarrassing to watch in 2020 as Southern California rail skateboarding.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1515 on: December 24, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
there are some songs on adore that really push this statement to the edge. never see them live. i haven’t enjoyed their music as much in years because i saw them with marilyn manson and it was hands down the most flaccid thing i’ve ever seen

i would never see them live and i don’t like anything after melan collie but siamese dream is like top 5 for me easy. also billy corgan is a moron

2k0u0k0

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1516 on: December 24, 2020, 01:55:42 PM »
Southern California rail skateboarding.

That shit lame asl!

Croquet temper

« Reply #1517 on: December 24, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
I don't like the band Pavement very much and I think they were the biggest influence for a lot of really bad 2000's indie music.

But Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, and Pixies, who I categorize with them, are all totally awesome.

Backsmithbacktail

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1518 on: December 24, 2020, 03:28:58 PM »
I fucking hate those go fast and do nothing type of skaters that will snake you at the park just to do ugly ass ollies over hip with Aidan hands.

Transition guys that dont have even basic flatground tricks are equal or worse than "flatground" skaters who can barely rock to fakie.
This is me. I probably snaked you. And I probably did a frontside ollie on the hip. But I landed with my own hands. And then fell on a basic flatground trick.

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #1519 on: December 24, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »
I don't like the band Pavement very much and I think they were the biggest influence for a lot of really bad 2000's indie music.

But Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, and Pixies, who I categorize with them, are all totally awesome.

Modest mouse tricked me into thinking i am into indie/alternative for a very long time. Took me a while to realise i just really like modest mouse and thats it.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #1520 on: December 24, 2020, 09:13:35 PM »
Do supreme guys think that skating those bowls is endearing? I mean sure, stu kirst and all the nyc kids, cher, feedback, they MADE it or whatever, paid dues, can pay their rent and stuff... but youre get supreme clothes, probably corpo shoes too... what's cool about ppl skating indoors in three of the most expensive cities in the world
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #1521 on: December 24, 2020, 09:20:32 PM »
Do supreme guys think that skating those bowls is endearing? I mean sure, stu kirst and all the nyc kids, cher, feedback, they MADE it or whatever, paid dues, can pay their rent and stuff... but youre get supreme clothes, probably corpo shoes too... what's cool about ppl skating indoors in three of the most expensive cities in the world

They are skating a bowl thats literally right where they work. It ain't that deep.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1522 on: December 24, 2020, 09:23:25 PM »
I’m not sure I like Formula Four

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #1523 on: December 24, 2020, 09:47:20 PM »
I’m not sure I like Formula Four

For how much love they get, they are a bit of an acquired taste. I remember needing time to get used to bones when I switched to them from spit classics, but it set me up for an easy transition to f4's when they came out.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

pamier

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1524 on: December 24, 2020, 11:12:32 PM »
The keep-skating-underground-staby-vx-eurpoean-free-jazz-soundtrack-skateboarding is just as embarrassing to watch in 2020 as Southern California rail skateboarding.

That shit is mad pretentious and probably filmed by 30 year olds who grew up upper middle class, work in tech and are married to an an East Asian. Still not as bad as 14 year olds in Santa Cruz shirts feebling am blown out l.a 10 stair for the gram

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 338
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1525 on: December 25, 2020, 12:15:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Full dipped boards a fine.
[close]

Following this up, I wish they would make a come back.
[close]
I had the full dipped Bobby quasi. I fuck with them.

Dill skates mostly dipped boards in his Skate More part and it looks great.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1526 on: December 25, 2020, 05:17:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That shit is mad pretentious and probably filmed by 30 year olds who grew up upper middle class, work in tech and are married to an an East Asian. Still not as bad as 14 year olds in Santa Cruz shirts feebling am blown out l.a 10 stair for the gram

do you want me to send you some jazz that i think you might like so u aren’t so mad about it

Croquet temper

« Reply #1527 on: December 25, 2020, 05:42:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Modest mouse tricked me into thinking i am into indie/alternative for a very long time. Took me a while to realise i just really like modest mouse and thats it.

Modest Mouse's stuff aged well, I think.

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #1528 on: December 25, 2020, 06:10:12 AM »
Snaking isn't a real thing. Get yours, make room for yourself or don't.

Also Santa Cruz is a super sick company right now, they give their riders mad coverage and cool graphics, they're all def getting paid well too. Totally ripping team.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1529 on: December 25, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »
Snaking isn't a real thing. Get yours, make room for yourself or don't.

Also Santa Cruz is a super sick company right now, they give their riders mad coverage and cool graphics, they're all def getting paid well too.
Nawww dog this ain’t it chief