Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 108362 times)

JimGeko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -38
Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1530 on: December 25, 2020, 11:23:18 AM »
Flip has better art direction when they were DeathBox.
Apart from the Cheech graphic all Flip graphics have been dog shit.
Jeremy Fox and Ian Deacon have sat back and raked in the cash based on the pure talent of an amazing team but have have only given the skate work trash boards with trash graphics made of trash wood.

Tony Hawk fucking sucks. He was the laughing stock of skateboarding in the late 90's early 2000's with his cringe video games and his super sellout travelling circus and tv appearances and tv adverts etc. Fuck him, he seems like a big headded wanker and owns the absolute worst brand in skateboard history.

Vert skating is boring as fuck it's just extreme action sports stunt bullshit. Same goes for mega ramp and all Danny Way's fucking big stunt great wall of china/helicopter/Las Vegas stuff.

Buff/Hench/Ripped people who skate is the absolute worst look ever. fuck weckingball and fuck biebel.

I don't think this is an unpopular opinion but YouTube brands like braille and revive are no better than some knock off Walmart brands and their "pro's" aren't real Pro's.

fakie bigspins are ok if you are old and don't have many tricks left I your bag.

Some of this may or may not my real thoughts. Its xmas day and im fucking pissed up.

Happy xmas friends.

SHALOM!!!!!!

What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
« Reply #1531 on: December 25, 2020, 12:07:02 PM »
the best Alien video is Memory Screen, the rest are trash

ballintoohard

« Reply #1532 on: December 25, 2020, 12:46:39 PM »
My negative rep is entirely people who were mad they didn’t think of what I posted and are jealous I was first.

Skeleton Pudding

• Rep: 11
  • A liver and a frighter
« Reply #1533 on: December 25, 2020, 08:31:36 PM »
Kids three or younger on skateboards.

Do these little potatoes of humans even understand what they're doing? I see a lot of squatty hang-ups, that will only lead to slams as they get older.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1534 on: December 26, 2020, 12:25:11 AM »
People looking up other peoples following lists on social media are the fucking worst people

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #1535 on: December 26, 2020, 04:04:45 AM »
-I don’t know how unpopular this is here, but I think super hero movies and the massive man-child Marvel/DC fan base is super cringe. Grown men talking passionately about The Avengers and X-men is just ridiculous to me. Yes, I know I’m a hypocrite for playing with a children’s toy and talking about it here on SLAP, but I don’t care.

-I think everyone that has a Facebook or Instagram is automatically a narcissist. I don’t care what your excuse for using it is. Don’t give me that “oh but it’s a good way to stay connected with your friends from high school” or whatever bullshit.

-Kevin Hart is painfully unfunny

Dinglenuts

• Rep: 2
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1536 on: December 26, 2020, 04:27:10 AM »
My negative rep is entirely people who were mad they didn’t think of what I posted and are jealous I was first.
Don't be sad, I had a very high rep with a low post count with my old account. It didn't get me laid and had little affect on my finances, despite what you may have heard.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #1537 on: December 26, 2020, 04:47:42 AM »
In the end, the rep you make is equal to the rep you take.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 338
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1538 on: December 26, 2020, 05:39:54 AM »
I skated a lot of ipath's when they were around but I don't know if it was as cool as my nostalgia tinted glasses would like me to believe

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #1539 on: December 26, 2020, 07:21:06 AM »
I skated a lot of ipath's when they were around but I don't know if it was as cool as my nostalgia tinted glasses would like me to believe

yes, under the presumption you are black.

clintendo

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1540 on: December 26, 2020, 07:32:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't like the band Pavement very much and I think they were the biggest influence for a lot of really bad 2000's indie music.

But Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, and Pixies, who I categorize with them, are all totally awesome.
[close]

Modest mouse tricked me into thinking i am into indie/alternative for a very long time. Took me a while to realisei just really like modest mouse and thats it.
[close]

Modest Mouse's stuff aged well, I think.

You’re not alone
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:55:58 PM by clintendo »

JamesFardy

• Rep: 64
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #1541 on: December 26, 2020, 07:37:13 AM »
-I don’t know how unpopular this is here, but I think super hero movies and the massive man-child Marvel/DC fan base is super cringe. Grown men talking passionately about The Avengers and X-men is just ridiculous to me. Yes, I know I’m a hypocrite for playing with a children’s toy and talking about it here on SLAP, but I don’t care.

-I think everyone that has a Facebook or Instagram is automatically a narcissist. I don’t care what your excuse for using it is. Don’t give me that “oh but it’s a good way to stay connected with your friends from high school” or whatever bullshit.

I feel this on a spiritual level.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 338
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1542 on: December 26, 2020, 07:41:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mixed race bro.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1543 on: December 26, 2020, 08:01:27 AM »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #1544 on: December 26, 2020, 09:14:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah that's an absolute dog shit take let's be clear.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #1545 on: December 26, 2020, 09:33:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mixed race bro.

Then there is absolutely nothing to criticise here and you have done everything right.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1546 on: December 26, 2020, 09:37:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mixed race bro.
[close]

Then there is absolutely nothing to criticise here and you have done everything right.

i miss skating i paths and i’m like a b-rad from malibu’s most wanted type

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1547 on: December 26, 2020, 09:45:05 AM »
I liked my I paths. Grasshoppers had my front shuvs popped well higher than usual, I'm just a sucker for the gangster strap on my shoes.
Whoa. Danger.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #1548 on: December 26, 2020, 09:53:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can you be a narcissist on IG if you never post anything remotely personal and have zero photos of yourself?

Cringe is as cringe as everyone and everything being called “awkward” in my heyday

Weird to have a Marvel/DC take when before yesterday you went through the first year in like 15 years that there wasn’t a major release

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #1549 on: December 26, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Can you be a narcissist on IG if you never post anything remotely personal and have zero photos of yourself?

Cringe is as cringe as everyone and everything being called “awkward” in my heyday

Weird to have a Marvel/DC take when before yesterday you went through the first year in like 15 years that there wasn’t a major release

Ok, there’s exceptions. Like if it’s part of your job to post things on social media (professional skateboarders) you get a pass, but if you’re just actively and willingly posting shit just to rub in everyone’s face how “great” your life is (which is like 80-90% of Facebook users) you’re a kook.

This year was a nice break from the Marvel/DC obsession of everyone, but it will be back. 

I mean if something seems cringey to me I’m going to use that word...because that’s the point I’m trying to make.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
« Reply #1550 on: December 26, 2020, 10:44:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

that’s why we’re here, isn’t it?

I liked the first year or two of AWS and I can’t stand any of it since

Photosynthesis and Mindfield are the most overrated videos in the history of skateboarding

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1551 on: December 26, 2020, 10:48:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

that’s why we’re here, isn’t it?

I liked the first year or two of AWS and I can’t stand any of it since

Photosynthesis and Mindfield are the most overrated videos in the history of skateboarding

You're you're right sorry.

Lost my cool there sorry lol

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #1552 on: December 26, 2020, 10:54:19 AM »
Midler rips. A friend of ishod is a friend of mine.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #1553 on: December 26, 2020, 12:14:36 PM »
The keep-skating-underground-staby-vx-eurpoean-free-jazz-soundtrack-skateboarding is just as embarrassing to watch in 2020 as Southern California rail skateboarding.

What did you think of this?

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1554 on: December 26, 2020, 12:26:02 PM »
Expand Quote
The keep-skating-underground-staby-vx-eurpoean-free-jazz-soundtrack-skateboarding is just as embarrassing to watch in 2020 as Southern California rail skateboarding.
[close]

lot of guys w/ “east asian” wives in that

quadcuff

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1555 on: December 26, 2020, 12:30:28 PM »
Snaking isn't a real thing. Get yours, make room for yourself or don't.

so very incorrect and wrong

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1556 on: December 26, 2020, 12:34:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Lol fuck I was not about to try to engage that other guy for reasons I'm sure you understand ;D but definitely interested in Horses opinion and would like to see him throw a few examples out of what exactly he's referring to.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1557 on: December 26, 2020, 12:36:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Lol fuck I was not about to try to engage that other guy for reasons I'm sure you understand ;D but definitely interested in Horses opinion and would like to see him throw a few examples out of what exactly he's referring to.

I think he's referring to Magenta?

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1558 on: December 26, 2020, 12:43:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think he's referring to Magenta?

Yeah I had a feeling but since he didn't explicitly name them I wondered if there was more to it, like he was talking about an entire subgenre of skate videos.

Some of those early Magenta videos entirely changed the way I see skating and really got me stoked.

Edit: maybe not entirely changed, but the skating and editing definitely influenced me and made me appreciate skateboarding that was different than the kind of videos filled with big hammer tricks that I loved as a kid.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1559 on: December 26, 2020, 01:10:29 PM »

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. It’s been almost 10 years since the sort of Polar/Cherry/Bronze/Palace explosion shifted the industry to be a little less California-centric and now we are definitely seeing a little bit of a glut in the other direction. Gritty/VX/no-comply type skating has become its own set of cliches.

HOWEVER I am more convinced than ever that SoCal footage is just less interesting from a visual perspective. Compare footage from a SoCal schoolyard/rail/gap against anything from NYC/Paris/London etc and there’s quite literally less going on in the frame with the California footy. Fewer pedestrians, fewer businesses, fewer awnings, less cracks in the sidewalk, fewer cobblestones, etc. Not to say one is definitively “better” than the other, but I personally get a lot more hyped when I see onlookers gawking, cars going by, etc.

I think there’s an argument to be made that the clean framing of a SoCal spot showcases the skating more fully since there are no distractions, and that’s fine. But for me I relate much more to the experience of getting out in the streets than I do to sailing across a sterile concrete desert.