Author Topic: Let's Give It Up for the Skate Moms  (Read 4121 times)

fang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
Re: Let's Give It Up for the Skate Moms
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2020, 01:03:12 PM »

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2020, 01:12:33 PM »
My mom drove my friends and I to parks all the time.  Renewed my Transworld and Thrasher subscriptions for years.   Paid me to mow the lawn and shovel to drive way to earn money for boards.

Loved my mom and pleny of other friends moms who took us to spots and parks before we could drive.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2020, 02:52:37 PM »
This is a thread i can get behind, totally brought back my faith in Jr member thread creation.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2020, 03:37:12 PM »
My mom took me to maloof money cup in dc. She won a board for me in a vitamin water chugging contest.
Angel status

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2020, 03:50:30 PM »
My mom hing with the surf skate crowd back in her teens, even had a friend who was sponsored by vision that said he had a little sister so she could get free shoes. My dad was anti skating probably out of jealousy so when they broke up she got back in with the skate crowd and that led me into becoming a full on skater by the age of 7. I kind of wish she wasnt as involved but its alright. Worst part is that she has never been impressed with my skating compared to people she knows and underestimates my skill level and or tells me not to try stuff cause 'she doesnt wanna see me get hurt', kinda took the wind out of my sails at a young age but its okay I've gotten past it
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • the moon rules
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2020, 04:22:23 PM »
My mom took me to get my first complete, got me boards when I needed them, and would drive me to skateparks after work/on her days off. One time she tried to roll in over the coping and made it to the flat before she slammed as gracefully as you’d expect. She never stepped on a board again. She went for it though that one time and I’ll never forget it
fuck you bama

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2020, 06:23:39 PM »
Shout out to skate moms

Mew

• Rep: -31
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2020, 06:27:22 PM »
smh

showerbeer

• Rep: 2
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2020, 04:10:09 AM »
Getting ready to go out and do some stuff for mom.
I’ll always remember her talking the old man down when I got broke off skating and had to go to the er. She still questions why I gotta mess around at the skatepark, and I don’t have a good answer.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2020, 06:50:24 AM »
Love reading these.  Go moms!

I think part of the genius of The Search For Animal Chin was it actually was something parents could watch with their kids who were into this skateboard thing that the parents couldn't really relate to.  Watching Future Primitive or Psycho Skate was not going to help.  Chin showed parents that it's all about fun, and my mom watched this video with me plenty of times. 

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2020, 06:52:02 AM »
My mom somehow hated skateboarding and loved my passion for it all at the same time so she supported it. I remember her coming home from the grocery store with what seems like one of my first Thrasher mags. It was Herman kick flipping a double set or something like that? She took me to the nearest park every weekend which was almost an hour away until I could drive. Lost her a few years ago to cancer but even before that she still would ask If I was still skating and how it was every time we talked. She was the best.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 47
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2020, 08:56:56 AM »
My mom somehow hated skateboarding and loved my passion for it all at the same time so she supported it. I remember her coming home from the grocery store with what seems like one of my first Thrasher mags. It was Herman kick flipping a double set or something like that? She took me to the nearest park every weekend which was almost an hour away until I could drive. Lost her a few years ago to cancer but even before that she still would ask If I was still skating and how it was every time we talked. She was the best.
Lost my mom 2 years ago to cancer too, that shit sucks.

My mom was a church going, rule following, suburban type who had no reference point for skateboarding.  She certainly didn't know what can of worms was opening when my brother and I started skateboarding - but she jumped all in.  Our house became the 'skate house' and my mom ended up being the mom to a lot more skateboarders than just the 2 she actually birthed.  I couldn't count the hours she spent driving us to parks and spots, or the breakfasts she cooked everyone, or the nights she spent worried and upset not knowing where we were (she was that kind of mom).

One time, early on, she was picking us up from a spot just as we were getting busted by the cops and they were taking our boards.  When she got out of the car steaming mad I was sure we were all in for it.  I was shocked when she directed that anger at the cops, yelling at them and grabbing our boards right out of their hands.  I couldn't believe it - I didn't think that attitude was part of her constitution.  My mom probably never really "got" skateboarding, but she was just about always backing what her kids were into, no matter what that was.  I miss her every day.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 406
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lost my mom 2 years ago to cancer too, that shit sucks.

My mom was a church going, rule following, suburban type who had no reference point for skateboarding.  She certainly didn't know what can of worms was opening when my brother and I started skateboarding - but she jumped all in.  Our house became the 'skate house' and my mom ended up being the mom to a lot more skateboarders than just the 2 she actually birthed.  I couldn't count the hours she spent driving us to parks and spots, or the breakfasts she cooked everyone, or the nights she spent worried and upset not knowing where we were (she was that kind of mom).

One time, early on, she was picking us up from a spot just as we were getting busted by the cops and they were taking our boards.  When she got out of the car steaming mad I was sure we were all in for it.  I was shocked when she directed that anger at the cops, yelling at them and grabbing our boards right out of their hands.  I couldn't believe it - I didn't think that attitude was part of her constitution.  My mom probably never really "got" skateboarding, but she was just about always backing what her kids were into, no matter what that was.  I miss her every day.

This was damn near exactly my mom too. Cancer sucks man. Glad you got some great memories of her too.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 16
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2020, 08:59:11 AM »
A trip to the skatepark was never out of the question.

My mom took me to contests all over Florida until I could drive there myself.

She also took me to the premier of Josh Stewart's "Rising" video. This was the World Market Skate Shop video he made in Tampa before starting the Static series. Parts from Ed Selego, Jeff Lenoce, Allen Russell, and others.

She got an extra job to support me and my sisters in our extra activities. She got paid under the table, so I always knew that if i needed a board, I needed to wait to ask until Saturday because she got her envelope on Fridays.

She also asked me once if I was gay because I always wanted to be at the skatepark on Friday and Saturday nights instead of trying to hang out with girls.

Little does she know that the first tits and pussy I touched was under the mini ramp........

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113

BootsWithTheFerg

• Rep: -46
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2024, 05:12:29 PM »
Grew up in bumfuck nowhere. Closet shop was 30 minutes away. Not pre internet but dial up enough online purchases were a rarity for us. I used to go through boards pretty quick made em last when I could but was after it in my youth. Often times I would have been without if it wasnt for how solid my mom was. Worked right down the street from the shop. Overtime, other errands etc, if I needed a board she'd grab it. At first I'd right down the size but a few months in she knew exactly what she needed. Same Ole 8.25 shop deck I'd give her the money and guaranteed she'd have a deck for me by the time I woke up in the morning.

We had a when them e150 or whatever Ford vans. That was the skate mobile till we got licenses and my mom and my sister were always taking us somewhere to shred no fuss escpially if shopping was near. Never been in the van but I'd do anything to be back in that van.

I mom became such a rad staple of local shop she ended up getting on some real g shit 2 birds stoned dude who owned the shop owned the laundry mat that was oped 24hr and when she couldn't make the shop in time the dude would meet her at the laundry spot cash transaction(no tax) still to this day my mom and that shop the two realest entities I've ever known I'm the 26+ years been doing this.

Skate mom's r rad for sure. And u lucky to have that if you have it. Even if they don't understand it just backing whatever pipe dream you have is some true love shit. Genuine.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2024, 05:31:57 PM »
My mom was cool as hell about skating when I was a kid. We had very little money but as soon as she saw I was into skating, she made it happen. Boards when she could afford it, trips to skate street and skate lab with my friends, etcetera. I legit would have given it up if it weren’t for her.

Bitchardo Scantron

• Rep: -93
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2024, 06:25:55 PM »
My Mom bought me a new deck in exchange for cutting my hair once.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2024, 06:43:39 PM »

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2024, 07:03:46 PM »
Good thread to bump!

Nixon Watches had a pullout poster in Transworld back in the day that listed all of the skateparks in America, with a map on one side. My mom loves a day trip or adventure, so she’d take me, my brother, and our cousin to whatever boonie skatepark im the state and let us be for a couple hours.

When she got bonuses at work she could get a check or gift certificates to the local mall. She’d do the latter and take us to Zumiez or BC Surf n Sport (all we had nearby) to pick out shoes or gear. I knew it was a lot to ask, so I’d do my best to make things last.
I had a pair of Airwalks where the inside heel wore through and the plastic frame stuck out, scraping my heel. I folded a sock in between my foot and the shoe for months before she saw what was going on and got me a new pair.

She really didn’t have to do all that. Shout out to supportive skate moms for real.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2024, 11:40:08 PM »
when i was 11 i couldn't cut grip well and my mom learned how to do it <3

she also got me a cake with the vans off the wall logo for my 18th birthday. kinda corny i guess, manny santiago type shit, but still cute as fuck, i always wore vans so it made sense.

oh and she knows what size boards i skate :)

Shtonk

• Rep: -471
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2024, 11:49:41 PM »
If your mom likes skating she should check out my frontside D

People who post this on a mother's day thread get good rep on here. To paraphrase Spanky: This place hasn't yet caught up to what it thinks it is.

Love you mom. Sorry I didn't stop when you begged me to after the first big injury.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2024, 06:33:31 AM »
i wish you did too

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2024, 08:56:56 AM »
My Mum dropped my brother and I off at a giant empty vert ramp when we were 9 and 12 and said, "Don't kill yourselves."

never saw her again.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2024, 11:35:25 AM »
My Mum dropped my brother and I off at a giant empty vert ramp when we were 9 and 12 and said, "Don't kill yourselves."

never saw her again.

coud be mine... may we are brothers from same mother.
But no my mother never drove me somewhere.

and she never gave me smart advice like "dont kill yourself"

Once I was homeless - on my birthday - because I moved for a new job to a new city but didnt found
an appartment - she told me I shoud call her back as soon as I have a landline.
(Calling on a mobil was little price back then...)
Dont worry for me - I had a goods job -and some savings - I was able to rent per week /month some furnished appartment
and 2 month later I found a really nice place and 16 years later still live there happy with my family.

Ninj2

• Rep: -104
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2024, 02:19:49 PM »
How come mother had to be quasi?
I never understood that.

Shtonk

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2024, 03:03:31 PM »
i wish you did too
Sorry somebody hurt you so much you feel validated to treat strangers on the internet like that. Make your mum proud and get some therapy, never too late

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2024, 03:40:59 PM »
There's a crew of skate moms here, they are awesome, best trick I got all weekend was helping them drop in. 

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2024, 01:06:06 AM »
Expand Quote
i wish you did too
[close]
Sorry somebody hurt you so much you feel validated to treat strangers on the internet like that. Make your mum proud and get some therapy, never too late

says the dude that dug up a 4 year old attempt at a joke to bitch about the forum that you spend hours on every single day of your unexciting and unfulfilling life :(

feeling validated as fuck rn

Shtonk

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2024, 02:35:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i wish you did too
[close]
[close]

says the dude that dug up a 4 year old attempt at a joke to bitch about the forum that you spend hours on every single day of your unexciting and unfulfilling life :(

feeling validated as fuck rn

never too late, dude, never too late.

I hope you have a better day tomorrow