Author Topic: Hockey  (Read 8690 times)

Mr. Kamikazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
Re: Hockey
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2020, 04:11:02 PM »
I had these shoes!

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 133
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2020, 01:55:26 AM »
Expand Quote

i look forward to seeing more of you here
[close]

For real. No Wave Comply please come over to the The Last Good Movie you Saw thread. I would genuinely love you to hear your insights about films. Unpretentious film buffs are my kinda people.

Whoa. Thanks for this, you two. I was half expecting a caustic sarcasm and negative responses, if any at all.

I’m obviously new to this and didn’t know there was a movie thread. I’m on it. Cheers!
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

euro tm

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2020, 02:38:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

i look forward to seeing more of you here
[close]

For real. No Wave Comply please come over to the The Last Good Movie you Saw thread. I would genuinely love you to hear your insights about films. Unpretentious film buffs are my kinda people.
[close]

Whoa. Thanks for this, you two. I was half expecting a caustic sarcasm and negative responses, if any at all.

I’m obviously new to this and didn’t know there was a movie thread. I’m on it. Cheers!

he said it best. i’m glad someone’s got a similar taste in films and isn’t an asshole about it. i’m genuinely excited to talk more in the movie thread

Larry

• Rep: 8
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2020, 09:53:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://www.paradeworld.com/uk/news/hockey-skateboards-a-history-through-video/

Hockey Skateboards started with the focus on two guys, Donovon Piscopo and John Fitzgerald. In the words of Anthony Van Engelen: “If you skate with those dudes, they are so gnarly… it’s kind of brutal, kind of like Hockey.” - AVE.

It could also be ironic, since Hockey is a competitive team sport and I guess Hockey is one of the least X-games/Street league sort of brands.
[close]
Ehhh. Way to over think it. Hockey is Benny Magliano's brain child and does all the graphics. He's pretty big into movies from the 70's/80's hence all the movie references and use of songs from soundtracks for pretty much all their edits.
[close]

100% these two. And to tie it all together the tagline "Eyes Without a Face" also references the film Eyes Without a Face (1960, France, dir. Georges Franju). There's a board and a nifty/fancy/too expensive polo shirt that used the film's poster artwork. So it's not strictly 70's/80's films, but yeah, pretty much.

My favorite Hockey deck at this point is the Ben Kadow "Metal Mask" deck which is actually the mask from Demons (1985, Italy, dir. Lamberto Bava, prod. Dario Argento). I initially thought that Kadow just lucked out with this graphic, but I stumbled across an interview where he mentions Phenomena (1985, Italy) and Dario Argento, which flagged him as a full-on fan.

That early Hockey deck with the young Jason Vorhees graphic is pretty gnarly too. I'm stoked when companies use interesting non-skate images and references like this. However, I'm older and a massive film buff, so maybe I'm the only who gets a boner over this shit.

Suspiria board graphic confirmed? I would def get one
Just shred some serious gnar.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2020, 11:12:04 AM »
There's a Deathwish Kirby with a Suspiria graphic already if you can still find one somewhere
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2020, 01:17:46 PM »
I still have a brand new Hockey deck with the Eyes Without A Face movie poster graphic.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2020, 04:47:29 PM »
because if you took a video of a hockey player pushing a puck around with a hockey stick, and then cut the player out using special effects, the stick floating through the air and the puck sliding along below it would vaguely resemble a skateboard if you really took liberties in describing it.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1314
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2020, 05:03:33 PM »
honk honk honk
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2020, 05:14:35 PM »
hockey is basically deathwish but with better brand execution

No Wave Comply

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2020, 06:16:14 PM »
Expand Quote

AA's new shotgun graphic is also from some older movie can't remember what it's called tho.
[close]

Deliverance! That's a great graphic.

Yeah, the new batch of graphics are pretty rad. Looks like the Andrew Allen shotgun/Deliverance deck is already gone (both sizes). POOF!

The woman from the Kevin Rodrigues graphic looks very familiar and is likely from a film as well, but I can't place it. French actress, possibly? If anyone knows, let loose.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1314
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2020, 06:23:17 PM »
What's the Baghead graphic from? It looks super familiar but I'm not placing it.

Also, I'm over here wiggling my e-booty at No Wave Comply suggestively. This dude is coming in hot.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2020, 06:25:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

AA's new shotgun graphic is also from some older movie can't remember what it's called tho.
[close]

Deliverance! That's a great graphic.
[close]

Yeah, the new batch of graphics are pretty rad. Looks like the Andrew Allen shotgun/Deliverance deck is already gone (both sizes). POOF!

The woman from the Kevin Rodrigues graphic looks very familiar and is likely from a film as well, but I can't place it. French actress, possibly? If anyone knows, let loose.

irene jacob from the movie incognito

original photo -

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:28:50 PM by honey island »

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2020, 10:10:58 PM »
Dis bran quattie.
I an I haff nah white god

No Wave Comply

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2020, 10:16:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Irene Jacob from the movie Incognito

original photo -

BOO-yar! Cheers for this! Looks like she’s Swiss, so I was damn close.

Incognito (1997) looks fully in my wheelhouse, as I’m a major Film Noir/Neo Noir/Crime/Thriller head. It’s on Amazon Prime and Jason Patric in the lead? He was the lead in one of my favorite Neo Noirs After Dark My Sweet (1990). I’m more than sold.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:25:16 PM by No Wave Comply »