Author Topic: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED  (Read 10182 times)

velvethammer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
Re: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2020, 07:30:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What would you like to warn other skaters about regarding equipment?

What warning labels should exist?

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SLAPPY on Bones Rough Riders or Spitfire Chargers.

They are amazing cruising wheels, but will chunk heavily if you impact anything.

DO NOT USE CLEAR GRIP on high wear areas on your deck.
[close]
I wish I had read this two weeks ago :,(
[close]

I contacted Powell last week and asked for one new ‘white wheel’ cause I have a white set and Kam at Powell said if he could not find a white wheel he would send a new set of whatever color is in stock. Just send a picture.

[email protected]

They really need to warn people as Powell should know that most street skaters will try and slappy at some point.
[close]

That was exactly the point of this thread. To warn people about shit like that.
You want Powell to warn people that soft wheels will get destroyed if you do grinds on rough concrete. Sounds about right for the times we are currently in.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2020, 07:35:02 AM »
I’ve skated for 33 years, and never had that happen before. So yes.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2020, 10:55:50 AM »
My warnings:
Don't pop your bearing shields, unless you actually plan on cleaning them somewhat regularly. In fact, we all should probably clean our bearings more often, regardless, but that's a different topic.

Don't try to skate something slightly out of your comfort zone/skill level with gear you aren't comfortable in/broken in yet. Brand new shoes, new bushings, etc. unless you know how they will operate as new and are ready for it.

Don't by graphic grip unless you know you'll enjoy looking down at it every session.

Don't use Allen hardware, as most people don't have an Allen key when on a session if you need to tighten a screw but they likely have a Phillips screw driver. That is, unless you plan to have an Allen key with you all the time.

Don't buy Bronsons. They're not worth the marketing/price. They are average at best, if even that.

Krux trucks. Just no, like Off said.

When gripping a board and doing lines/cut outs, etc. think about where you do all your tricks and where you NEED grip under your feet. This is important!

Don't compare your skating to someone else's, even if you have a similar amount of time skating as them. Instead, look to your fellow skaters as inspiration to learn from them. Maybe they have something you don't, but you may also have something they don't, so sharing/learning from each other is a better outlook!

🙂
Super Champion Fun Zone

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2020, 11:00:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Don’t pop the shields.
[close]

Expand Quote
Always pop your shields.
[close]

Goddamnit, do I pop my shields or do I not pop my shields!?

You’re in Manitoba, yes? I’ve never been, but if there’s lots of leftover gravel, dust, and salt on the streets from winter, you’d benefit from keeping shields on.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

quarterpound

• Rep: 14
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2020, 11:03:00 AM »
Get good at the basics. Ollie anything and everything. Manuals will improve stability/balance building muscle groups needed for that. Get consistent and find out your strengths/work on weaknesses.

This.  Nearly every skater in my day was a reject with daddy issues.  That's fine; all the unnecessary injuries we suffered as a result were not.  Some road rash and a few wilsons are inevitable and you have to just go for it.  Trying to do things you're not ready for is just destroying yourself for your friends' amusement - and that true friend who drove you to the hospital?  Not a great day for that dude.  Everyone always says "just go faster" - yes, a lot of tricks require a certain speed, but just going faster will not magically land those tricks.  You have to get really good at skating fast first.  You have to be as comfortable with bailing at 30 mph as you are at 5 mph before you're trying tricks at 30 mph.  It's not about mastering the trick then "go faster", it's about mastering the speed and then see what tricks you can pull off.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2020, 11:28:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don't do Slappy's if you're young
[close]

I would disagree here. I've learned a bunch of tricks on ledges after doing them on curbs first.
[close]

Yep, I think the revival of low impact stuff is the best thing happened to skateboarding in past decade. I still remember early 00's when you got bullied for doing slappies (can't you ollie on that little curb?), no complies and boneless was not really counted as a trick etc. Dark times..
[close]

If hipster skating is allowed, so are slappies.

What is hipster skating?

Spacetravelisboring

« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2020, 11:33:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Tell everybody on slap youre gay because ive noticed all the people who say theyre gay never have a negative rep because that would be a hate crime
[close]

You're not funny, you're making a shitty joke that also isn't funny.

I don't think he's joking. I think he's just making an observation.

Spacetravelisboring

« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2020, 11:37:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t buy into deck tech, whether it be bonite, featherlite or vertical plies; 7 ply maple has been the industry standard for 30+ years for a reason.

Only by a ps stix board if you intend to skate it for exactly 13 days!
[close]

Gotta disagree. Flight decks have done me well, and keep me from wasting my money buying boards that get soggy.
[close]

Yeah I fully disagree with both of those statements as well. Haven't skated a VX but I have tried Flight, impact, and p2 and all have their advantages over a normal 7 ply. Impact is too stiff for me but if I was still 16 I'd probably love them, while Flight is a great old man investment. If Powell had better shapes I'd probably skate those most of the time, it definitely takes a little getting used to the springy pop and how thin/light they are but once you do they're great and mine still feels the same as it did day one.

Also maybe it's just me but none of my recent PS decks have shit out faster than any other brand. I'm well into the 3rd ply on one of my ScumCo PS decks and it still has tons of pop. I don't know if something changed with them or what because I used to think they sucked but after giving them a second chance last fall they've become more or less my go-to.

For some reason I thought scumco used pennswood

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2020, 11:40:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t buy into deck tech, whether it be bonite, featherlite or vertical plies; 7 ply maple has been the industry standard for 30+ years for a reason.

Only by a ps stix board if you intend to skate it for exactly 13 days!
[close]

Gotta disagree. Flight decks have done me well, and keep me from wasting my money buying boards that get soggy.
[close]

Yeah I fully disagree with both of those statements as well. Haven't skated a VX but I have tried Flight, impact, and p2 and all have their advantages over a normal 7 ply. Impact is too stiff for me but if I was still 16 I'd probably love them, while Flight is a great old man investment. If Powell had better shapes I'd probably skate those most of the time, it definitely takes a little getting used to the springy pop and how thin/light they are but once you do they're great and mine still feels the same as it did day one.

Also maybe it's just me but none of my recent PS decks have shit out faster than any other brand. I'm well into the 3rd ply on one of my ScumCo PS decks and it still has tons of pop. I don't know if something changed with them or what because I used to think they sucked but after giving them a second chance last fall they've become more or less my go-to.
[close]

For some reason I thought scumco used pennswood
They switched woodshop sometime ago, but I think they still do some runs via pennswood?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2020, 11:48:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Get good at the basics. Ollie anything and everything. Manuals will improve stability/balance building muscle groups needed for that. Get consistent and find out your strengths/work on weaknesses.
[close]

This.  Nearly every skater in my day was a reject with daddy issues.  That's fine; all the unnecessary injuries we suffered as a result were not.  Some road rash and a few wilsons are inevitable and you have to just go for it.  Trying to do things you're not ready for is just destroying yourself for your friends' amusement - and that true friend who drove you to the hospital?  Not a great day for that dude.  Everyone always says "just go faster" - yes, a lot of tricks require a certain speed, but just going faster will not magically land those tricks.  You have to get really good at skating fast first.  You have to be as comfortable with bailing at 30 mph as you are at 5 mph before you're trying tricks at 30 mph.  It's not about mastering the trick then "go faster", it's about mastering the speed and then see what tricks you can pull off.
good comments about speed and going faster. it is a whole new ballgame. and certainly takes comfort with being able to build up to a faster speed while popping. i struggle with that

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2020, 11:49:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Tell everybody on slap youre gay because ive noticed all the people who say theyre gay never have a negative rep because that would be a hate crime
[close]

You're not funny, you're making a shitty joke that also isn't funny.
[close]

I don't think he's joking. I think he's just making an observation.

Is “DA BIG BODY BENZ” a Sam Hyde reference? If yes, then your post makes sense to me even though it’s not universally true, it seems to exclusively apply to GAY. I don’t think it has anything to do with him being gay though, I think it’s basically due to the fact that he’s not combative or argumentative & mostly posts clever quips & jokes.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Spacetravelisboring

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2020, 11:50:07 AM »
Warning : do not have sex before the sesh. You might get noodle legged

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2020, 12:18:46 PM »

amen

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2020, 05:07:49 PM »
When in doubt, just use a firehose song
unreadable trap logo

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 834
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2020, 05:19:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What would you like to warn other skaters about regarding equipment?

What warning labels should exist?

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SLAPPY on Bones Rough Riders or Spitfire Chargers.

They are amazing cruising wheels, but will chunk heavily if you impact anything.

DO NOT USE CLEAR GRIP on high wear areas on your deck.
[close]
I wish I had read this two weeks ago :,(
[close]

I contacted Powell last week and asked for one new ‘white wheel’ cause I have a white set and Kam at Powell said if he could not find a white wheel he would send a new set of whatever color is in stock. Just send a picture.

[email protected]

They really need to warn people as Powell should know that most street skaters will try and slappy at some point.
Thanks for the tip! I'll shoot him an email
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2020, 05:53:17 PM »
lol 30 mph

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2020, 07:37:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t pop the shields.
[close]

Expand Quote
Always pop your shields.
[close]

Goddamnit, do I pop my shields or do I not pop my shields!?
[close]

You’re in Manitoba, yes? I’ve never been, but if there’s lots of leftover gravel, dust, and salt on the streets from winter, you’d benefit from keeping shields on.

I am, good memory! There's a shitload of all that shit still festering on the streets. I can't enjoy fresh black griptape for five minutes at a supposedly clean skatepark before it gets dusted to hell. I've actually never popped my shields before, but I'll be keeping them on for sure.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 86
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2020, 10:39:45 PM »

Dont keep the wheels in the same orientation all year long.
Rotate and flip them around every now and then. Else you get the famous 1-2 wheels that are smaller then the rest, causing imbalance. It can be pretty severe too. I've had 1 wheel that was 44mm, the rest was around 48-49mm.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2020, 02:08:46 AM »
don't install instagram

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2020, 02:11:02 AM »
don't install instagram
or if you do, don’t follow any of your childhood heroes ... the exception of course being Chico

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -132
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2020, 02:19:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

amen

Nah. A good dynamic tantra session before skating is where it's at. Get's you all loose and relaxed to shred the gnar.

WoodRat

• Rep: 5
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2020, 04:54:26 AM »
Don't walk to your spot...skate!

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2020, 05:11:43 AM »
I think BALARGUE works for WD40 or something.
ahah just wanted to cancel WD40 for lubrification and state that it's fine for cleaning

I missed nothing, I was just being an asshole.
you triggered the engineer in me
<3

Wonderful Whizzplank

• Rep: 8
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2020, 05:22:48 AM »
New stuff isn't magically going to make you a better skater. It might make you worse, however.
Total newbie

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2020, 07:55:16 AM »

I was going to but I had a carton of eggs and 2 burritos in my backpack, wasn't going to risk dinner.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank and Fred

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2020, 10:32:33 AM »
Expand Quote
don't install instagram
[close]
or if you do, don’t follow any of your childhood heroes ... the exception of course being Chico

Chico is one of the few that IGs frequently and gracefully. (Mostly)

WoodRat

• Rep: 5
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2020, 06:58:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was going to but I had a carton of eggs and 2 burritos in my backpack, wasn't going to risk dinner.

I'll allow it...if you share

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2020, 07:37:12 AM »
My suggestion is that if you find the right setup, whatever setup makes you skate your best, then don’t change any of it. Old saying, “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” applies to your setup. Stick with what works (board size, shape, trucks, wheels, shoes, etc).

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2020, 08:29:21 AM »
Sex before skating has given me some of the best and most productive sessions of my life.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1501
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2020, 09:48:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sex before skating has given me some of the best and most productive sessions of my life.
Same.

I'd say don't jerk it before you work it. Wanking made me skate like a wanker.