Author Topic: Portland  (Read 4844 times)

sharkjumper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 39
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Portland
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2022, 10:28:15 PM »
It is weird that Portland doesn’t have 1 main shop. It was pharmacy for a while when they still had Dept of Skate.
Once that went away I thought Shrunkenhead would take over. But they are quite content in their tiny space. Rent must be very cheap.
I’ve tallied it up many times and it’s pretty wild the amount of shops we have when you also add in Vans and zumiez. And there was an Industrial shop at the clackamas mall for minute too.

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2022, 10:38:01 AM »
Thinking of moving back to Portland. I'm originally from Los Angeles. I was living there for about 4 years starting in 2012ish. I moved back to LA around late 2016. I was pretty bummed to leave Portland, and it has definitely been on mind lately. Thinking I might fly out there to find a little apartment for my dog and I. I'm sure it's changed quite a bit since I've been gone. Wondering what the overall vibe and culture is like post-covid. Any info on what it's like now would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 10:52:45 AM by Morning Jazz Radio »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2022, 11:00:19 AM »
Where to begin @Morning Jazz Radio ?

Its changed so much. I know Covid did a number on most cities but it really did a number on Portland. Let me preface this by saying I work with houseless young people, I am not a fan of the cops and I still love this city...

But...

This city has no vision on how to support the unhoused. Covid meant no sweeps (We all know they don't solve anything anyway) and most working and middle class neighborhoods have had to bare the brunt of having huge camps semi-permanently erected on the doorsteps. This involves everything from cars being taken apart on your sidewalk, syringes in your gutter line, people in desperate mental health crises outside your window. The police do not respond to petty crime. The barely respond to violent crime. We do now have more specialized mental health professionals responding to these situations but they only work in limited neighborhoods and there is still not enough of them. I hear it will be expanding though. All to say, there is collective Compassion Fatigue. Housed people are fed up and the unhoused fall deeper into shit. Organized gangs are now actively praying on the houseless down town.

Shootings are through the roof. Not since the early 90s during the gang heydays, have we experienced homicide rates like this. Just when I think I am hearing less shots popping off and less sirens, I read the stats and news and its not getting much better. Of course, the victims are mostly those caught up in crime but too many innocent randoms have also lost their lives in the last two years. Several kids I work with and staff who work for me have had family and friends shot in the last two years.

The police basically gave up after the relentless George Floyd uprising protests. I fully backed it but it did get to a point where you had to wonder how much good the nightly riots were continuing to do for the people we were supposed to be supporting. That's a huge and worthwhile debate but not for this purpose.

Meanwhile the cost of rent and property value continues to go up despite some white flight.

In saying all that, I would not deter you from moving back. Just come back with eyes wide open. A lot of what you likely loved about Portland is still here and there are some counter-cultural advantages to living in this dystopian like setting. There are several rad DIY parks popping off, graffiti is rampant and you'll never get a traffic citation as cops have given up. You can get away with a lot.

The only way Portland will bounce back is if those of us who give a shit, stick it out and make a contribution.

Morning Jazz Radio

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2022, 11:21:55 AM »
Thank you for that information, @Frank and Fred!

That actually sounds pretty rough. Makes me sad to know how lawless Portland is now. When I lived there I felt totally safe walking around downtown with my dog. I was living in the NE area, walking distance to the Hollywood Theatre. I was thinking about moving back, but damn. Definitely does not sound good. Nothing has been easy since covid. Maybe I should check it out for a couple of days to see if I should make that move, again.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2022, 11:27:57 AM »
I'd still encourage a visit to see what you think. Don't let me put you off. The reality is you can still walk around with your dog hassle free most of the time but these things are happening and you will see some of it.

Morning Jazz Radio

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2022, 02:36:34 PM »
Thanks again for the info.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2022, 12:37:18 AM »
I've been here for 2 months and I'm not sure I'd frame the city as lawless, but I'm still new. I went downtown to pay way too much for a s'more around 10PM on Saturday and it felt like a normal downtown area (more drunk bros than anything).

I will say that the Pearl District and Chinatown have a significant homeless population, but other parts of the city are very different. Like, the Safeway in the Pearl District is an adventure for sure but the grocery stores on the other side of bridge are pretty mellow.

One thing I find really curious is that murder rates are way up, but assaults are not. I'd assume that assault and murder would be correlated, but they seem to be two very distinct things. This doesn't make sense to me.  And, burglary and larceny are officially going down https://crime-data-explorer.app.cloud.gov/pages/explorer/crime/crime-trend .

Finally, in terms of the police giving up, it seems they have always sucked at clearing crimes. I don't see a huge difference in the number of reported crimes and the number cleared. Not to mention, patrol cops are low level bureaucrats, as much as they dream of "real" policing, their jobs are pretty boring. 

Note: Nationwide homicide and assault are correlated.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 01:09:31 AM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

sharkjumper

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2022, 01:55:21 PM »
Frank and Fred speaks the truth about those issues in the city.

There's still a lot of good though.  The skate scene is thriving.  There are several DIYs going right now.  The PSU Courts is super fun.  There are 2 decent sized skateparks in the works - coming in 2025.  That's a long wait, I know.  Good shops as stated in this thread.  Nice people for the most part, and great food and beer.

The cost of living is way up.  But it'll be lower than LA.

OMSK

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2022, 03:45:03 PM »
I have lived here for 24 years and the one thing that makes it so hard to skate in Portland and no one has mentioned is the weather. It rains, A LOT. I know there are covered spots and indoor spots, but some of the covered spots still get soaked with the wind. Just for reference, it rained 5'" in April (almost every day) and May is also above average for rain totals. I know people want to live here for the rad skate scene, but aside from everything else listed above, it hasn't been super easy to skate this spring or all winter as it's so wet (especially in Spring when it's supposed to start drying out and getting warmer). That being said, we have had a few nice days, but definitely something to consider when taking a trip here or potentially moving here.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2022, 01:14:12 PM »
This is the second La Nina in a row which has been brutal for rainfall but after the wildfires of the last couple of years we should be stoked. Brace yourself though, as from what I understand (which isn't much) we might be facing a very rare third La Nina in a row so next winter/ spring could be similar...

...shitty for surfing and skateboarding...

OMSK

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2022, 02:33:34 PM »
Yeah and what sucks the most is that the rain isn't getting where we need it to be raining, out in Eastern and Central Oregon, where the drought is the worst (and where most fires start).

I agree, it's been a tough year for skating and surfing. Hopefully that La Nina doesn't materialize.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2022, 07:01:21 PM »
Very true. Only the top left corner of Oregon is not in drought...

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2022, 08:58:16 AM »
Going to be in Portland from the 26th-31st. Wondering if anyone wanna meet up to skate or what shops to hit up while I'm up there.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2022, 02:34:01 PM »
Going to be in Portland from the 26th-31st. Wondering if anyone wanna meet up to skate or what shops to hit up while I'm up there.

coolest shops in town are Cal's Pharmacy and Shrunken Head imo

Cal Skate probably has the best selection out of all the indy shops

never been to Smart Collective but it seems cool, Commonwealth also dope but not a huge selection (small indoor park there as well that's fun, especially if you skate transition)

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2022, 03:56:44 PM »
I live in Seattle, gonna be in the Portland area this Monday- if anyone in Portland wants to meet for a courts session lmk, I love that place

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2022, 08:20:20 PM »
Maine is dope
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

sharkjumper

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2022, 11:18:43 PM »

Definitely hit up the courts to skate while you’re here.

lamfordie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2022, 04:32:10 PM »
Looks like its going to be raining when I visit next week. Is there any covered spots to avoid the rain?

treeebark

• Rep: 10
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2022, 11:36:07 PM »
Looks like its going to be raining when I visit next week. Is there any covered spots to avoid the rain?
Red pillars spot has 3 floors of good curbs, look up ‘metro regional government building’. PPS garage has some decent curbs and manny pads, otherwise commonwealth and stronger are the indoor parks

OMSK

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2022, 10:58:18 AM »

Looks like it won't be raining the whole time so you might get some uncovered skating in. 7th street aka 3 pillars, aka orange pillars is definitely the spot but can get crowded at times, I got kicked out mid-day a few weeks back so it may be a bust at certain hours now. Not sure if Lloyd Center is still free range but you can check that out, lots of curbs and other fun stuff. 405 curbs could be dry but it depends on how hard it's raining. If you have any friends that work at Adidas or Nike you could see if you can get in their parks to skate as well. Stronger and Commonwealth are the only indoor, public parks both fun, but Commonwealth can get slippery.

treeebark

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2022, 11:55:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looks like it won't be raining the whole time so you might get some uncovered skating in. 7th street aka 3 pillars, aka orange pillars is definitely the spot but can get crowded at times, I got kicked out mid-day a few weeks back so it may be a bust at certain hours now. Not sure if Lloyd Center is still free range but you can check that out, lots of curbs and other fun stuff. 405 curbs could be dry but it depends on how hard it's raining. If you have any friends that work at Adidas or Nike you could see if you can get in their parks to skate as well. Stronger and Commonwealth are the only indoor, public parks both fun, but Commonwealth can get slippery.
yah there's a security guard weekdays 9ish to 5ish i think. always go after work, only time i've gotten kicked out is mid day

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2022, 02:26:39 PM »
Halloween at Burnside.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

sharkjumper

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2022, 08:52:10 AM »
If the rain stays away today, there’s a skate jam at the courts this afternoon.

lamfordie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2023, 04:43:01 PM »
Going back up to Portland at the end of the month. This is a long shot but does anyone have the hook to skate either the Nike and or Adidas park? Beer is on me.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2023, 10:11:37 AM »
I have friends who work for Nike and none of those fuckers have hooked it up... maybe not friends after all... Either way, you'll have a tonne of shit to skate here this time of year without those spots.

sharkjumper

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2023, 11:11:17 PM »
Going back up to Portland at the end of the month. This is a long shot but does anyone have the hook to skate either the Nike and or Adidas park? Beer is on me.

Most of us locals are at the mercy of an invite if/when they happen. Wish I could be more helpful.

But, like FranknFred said, this is best time to be here skating.

lamfordie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2023, 02:22:17 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. If any Pals wanna meet up to skate and show me around PM me. I'll buy you a beer for the help.

overwaxed

• Rep: 83
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2023, 12:27:42 PM »
My wife and I considering moving to Portand from Chicago next year - curious about the slappy curb scene? Any good ones? Any people who enjoy skating them?

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2023, 02:57:33 PM »
Best shop with the best shoe selection?

Cals wasn't bad when i was there last year, and Shrunken didn't have any - those being the only two shops i visited (and CCS/Daddies for their car wash recreation invitational deal)

treeebark

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2023, 04:36:12 PM »
My wife and I considering moving to Portand from Chicago next year - curious about the slappy curb scene? Any good ones? Any people who enjoy skating them?
curbs are decent, go to spot for me is Red Pilars (metro regional gov't parking garage which has 3 floors of good curbs, covered and not a bust after 5pm weekdays / all day weekends). there's a handful of other good curbs at schools (Kellogg middle school is a good one), PSU Courts has a few decent parking blocks, Chrome HQ in NW has good boxes, qp and a short parking block.