Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 69584 times)

baaaaaaguette

Re: Polar Shape
« Reply #330 on: March 30, 2021, 10:50:23 AM »
Expand Quote

Usually stick to 8,5 since I’ve got big feet (30cm gang wya). My previous two boards were these: https://www.milk-store.com/en/collections/skateboard/products/milk-script-logo-deck?variant=39281190043784 but they chipped really fast and the wood thins out ALOT too. So you can see how long the nose is compared to the tail I really love these kinds of shape

Basically I’m looking for a heavy, solid board that won’t razor tail in 2 weeks
[close]

Updated size to 8.5 which is about the same dimensions I have as a perfect all rounder in other brands from the same BBS woodshop and they are so good.

I think the main thing with something like razor tail is no matter what board you get, it will still happen, but the concave is definitely different with BBS wood compared to some / most other woodshops.  If you can go into the shop and stand on a lot of different decks, you will find that some will be quite different to others, but the shop boards will also be a fair bit cheaper than the pro decks, which look rather expensive from that shop.

Standard shape and size 8.5 x 32.125, 14.5 wheelbase, 7.125 nose and 6.75 tail.

My local was all out so I grabbed another favorite of mine. Does Sour use BBS wood as well?

Kevve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #331 on: March 30, 2021, 12:54:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Usually stick to 8,5 since I’ve got big feet (30cm gang wya). My previous two boards were these: https://www.milk-store.com/en/collections/skateboard/products/milk-script-logo-deck?variant=39281190043784 but they chipped really fast and the wood thins out ALOT too. So you can see how long the nose is compared to the tail I really love these kinds of shape

[close]

Updated size to 8.5 which is about the same dimensions I have as a perfect all rounder in other brands from the same BBS woodshop and they are so good.

I think the main thing with something like razor tail is no matter what board you get, it will still happen, but the concave is definitely different with BBS wood compared to some / most other woodshops.  If you can go into the shop and stand on a lot of different decks, you will find that some will be quite different to others, but the shop boards will also be a fair bit cheaper than the pro decks, which look rather expensive from that shop.

[close]

My local was all out so I grabbed another favorite of mine. Does Sour use BBS wood as well?

They use Jart, "fried in Europe".. i've got mine on the wall so cant really say much about how it rides. Judging by the looks of it its superb!

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #332 on: March 30, 2021, 01:46:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dang no 1992 is a drag
[close]
I really hope they are saving their big guns for the summer drop...
[close]
I Read in their ig comments that theyre going to discontinue the 1992/1991 shapes. This is supposed to be the last stop with 1991s. Hope they chance their mindes, the 1991 to me looks like the ultimate old school/ cruiser shape.
before i go searching, can you link/source? If so i'll have to grab that 1991 Boserio.. but a part of me doesn't want to do that and love it if it's gone for good.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #333 on: March 30, 2021, 02:12:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dang no 1992 is a drag
[close]
I really hope they are saving their big guns for the summer drop...
[close]

I Read in their ig comments that theyre going to discontinue the 1992/1991 shapes. This is supposed to be the last stop with 1991s. Hope they chance their mindes, the 1991 to me looks like the ultimate old school/ cruiser shape.

I found a 92 shape from last batch that i've been eyeing, is there a big difference between the 91 & 92 in how they ride? Maybe the 92 would be a Little more nimble and cruisey as the wb is a Lil shorter.

Dont know if the 92 fit 169s as the back looks more taperad than the 91
Yes it's mostly a wheelbase thing since the shapes aren't too far of from each other. 92 is a little more squared overall.

169s fit all of them with some hot rodding. The 9+ Polar shapes other than the Surf Shape are all 8.75 over the back trucks so a lot of us prefer 8.75 trucks.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #334 on: March 30, 2021, 05:49:41 PM »
Can anyone confirm the ACTUAL width of the new, large Shin Surf shape?? Polar only has the original, 8.75" listed on their US site, and as of yet are not responding on IG.

Also, I'm fairly positive that SW is erroneously listing the lime green as being the larger, when it's the white that actually is? Further, the length and wheelbase of both Shin Surfs is the same, it's just the width that's expanded –– right?

I think people are confused and the Surf shape in this drop is the same old. The actual Polar catalog lists it as the surf jr at 8.75", and based on the pics the big surf looks proportionately larger.

AFAIK no one has posted anything definitive about it being the new larger version, aside from what appear to be misprints on various web stores.

Kind of related but I wonder if this will ever come out:

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #335 on: March 30, 2021, 06:12:44 PM »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #336 on: March 30, 2021, 07:01:00 PM »
I’d refer to the polar site for sizing.. don’t trust SW

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #337 on: March 30, 2021, 07:02:11 PM »
Polar’s site lists the Lime colored Surf deck as the Surf JR 8.75. It looks like the White one isn’t listed on their site anymore but it was listed as Surf SR

Tactics lists the Lime color as 9.0 and the White color as 8.75.

Parade has the White surf deck listed as both 8.75 and 9.0 and also has the Lime color listed as 8.75.

Here is the response given by Polar.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #338 on: March 30, 2021, 07:04:42 PM »
Love it. Pontus is awesome. He can’t control what shops put up.
“ No Angel will come down from heaven”

Wow lime green surf jr already OOS on polar site!??  As is the Dane 9” wheel wells AND Boserio 1991 shape. Wow

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #339 on: March 30, 2021, 07:11:29 PM »
Love it. Pontus is awesome. He can’t control what shops put up.
“ No Angel will come down from heaven”

Wow lime green surf he already OOS on polar site!??

Yeah I understand and agree that they can’t control what shops put up but they could have at least answered the question while they were typing up that shitty response. Not too hard to clear up. They’ve answered plenty of questions in the past too, but I guess this one was different somehow.

Edit: delivery arrived. The white colored Surf shape from this drop is 8.75 and is the same as the previously released yellow Surf deck.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 07:24:17 PM by DeepSpace9mm »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #340 on: March 30, 2021, 07:27:34 PM »
They’re both the same just 2 diff colors per my a local shop site ?

SURF JR. SPECIAL SHAPE - WITH WHEEL WELLS
8.75" (WIDEST POINT) X 31.5"
NOSE: 6.25"
WHEEL BASE: 14.375"
TAIL: 6.5"

@DeepSpace9mm that was quick. Local order?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 08:12:48 PM by jay_nev »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #341 on: March 30, 2021, 07:38:51 PM »
Can anyone confirm the ACTUAL width of the new, large Shin Surf shape?? Polar only has the original, 8.75" listed on their US site, and as of yet are not responding on IG.

Also, I'm fairly positive that SW is erroneously listing the lime green as being the larger, when it's the white that actually is? Further, the length and wheelbase of both Shin Surfs is the same, it's just the width that's expanded –– right?

I’d refer to the polar site for sizing.. don’t trust SW

The best thing I have seen on SW is they show the tops of the boards, so when bringing up the pic to the full 100% size, it clearly shows all the measurements on the Polar sticker on top of the board.

Of course when I went to look at that one in question, it might be the ONLY Polar board that doesn't have the sticker on it.

I wonder how accurate it would be using the deck bolts as reference and superimposing other images over it to see if it matches up to anything else, but I guess that is a lot of work for what might not be anywhere near close to what it actually is in measurements.

The white Surf is 8.75 x 31.5 with 14.375 wb and the other green one looks almost the same in length and wb, just wider, so maybe it is as stated.

Also on some other shops I found it is SURF Sr (not Jr) so it is a wider version of the same board, at 9 x 31.5 with 14.375 wb.

https://canolaskateshop.com/items/605d75f2a87fc5716e5f507e

* I am guessing they added Jr to the normal one and Sr to the bigger one, to try to avoid confusion, but not sure if it has helped at all.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #342 on: March 30, 2021, 07:53:03 PM »
They’re both the same just 2 diff colors per my a local shop site

SURF JR. SPECIAL SHAPE - WITH WHEEL WELLS
8.75" (WIDEST POINT) X 31.5"
NOSE: 6.25"
WHEEL BASE: 14.375"
TAIL: 6.5"

@DeepSpace9mm that was quick. Local order?

Very quick, yes.
Not local.

Since my local shop likely won’t get this shape and I didn’t want to take the risk of it selling out (it did) I just smashed a buy button. Never seen that shape there in the past. If they do get it I’ll grab one.

Very confusing listings.
I’m pretty (99%) sure that before it was removed the Polar site had the white one listed as 9.0, 14.5 wheelbase, yadda yadda. That’s what I wanted.

Since the listings are all over the place I guess I’ll just go ahead and order the Lime colored one as well. For science. I’ll report back if nobody else beats me to it.

ldmch11

• Rep: -4
« Reply #343 on: March 30, 2021, 09:06:20 PM »

lol what a kooky ass response, could've easily just answered your question

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #344 on: March 31, 2021, 03:05:51 AM »
Honestly kinda bummed on Polar. Between no more big boards and that shitty DM response I'm sorta over it. I was gonna buy a 1992 from this drop too since I missed the one from the last drop.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #345 on: March 31, 2021, 05:16:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

They use Jart, "fried in Europe".. i've got mine on the wall so cant really say much about how it rides. Judging by the looks of it its superb!

Yeah can’t wait to skate it. Seems very solid and the graphic is mint, I’ve never tried that wood curious to see how it holds up

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2021, 06:37:06 AM »
Polar’s site lists the Lime colored Surf deck as the Surf JR 8.75. It looks like the White one isn’t listed on their site anymore but it was listed as Surf SR

Parade has the White surf deck listed as both 8.75 and 9.0 and also has the Lime color listed as 8.75.

Thanks for clarifying. Wild they made them so similar, the 1/4" inch doesn't seem like it would make much difference on the shape.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #347 on: March 31, 2021, 07:11:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for clarifying. Wild they made them so similar, the 1/4" inch doesn't seem like it would make much difference on the shape.
yeah, interested to see measurement differences between them. I jumped the gun and thought they were all on the polar site. Think it was removed. Interesting as @Mbrimson88 all the surf shapes I’ve seen don’t have the black top dims sticker.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #348 on: March 31, 2021, 07:49:39 AM »
anyone have experience skating the P2 shape?  Is it basically just a regular Polar 8.5, but with a shovel nose? 
hardly art, hardly starving

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #349 on: March 31, 2021, 08:13:45 AM »
anyone have experience skating the P2 shape?  Is it basically just a regular Polar 8.5, but with a shovel nose?

yeah i've skated a few of them, i think they're pretty cool. you're pretty much right, but i would add that the tail is squared off a bit too. i like how stable and predictable the pop is from a less rounded nose/tail, although i think it makes scooping 360 flips and stuff like that a bit more difficult as a trade-off. i've been on the hunt for similar shapes from other companies for a while now but still no leads. it'd be nice to have an alternative for when polar stuff inevitably sells out a week after each drop.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #350 on: March 31, 2021, 11:50:51 AM »

Skating one right now. Have one on deck too. Medium concave and kicks. Rounder tail with the more square nose. Doesn't feel like 8.5 popsicles, it feels smaller. I've done some of my best skating on it.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #351 on: March 31, 2021, 02:47:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skating one right now. Have one on deck too. Medium concave and kicks. Rounder tail with the more square nose. Doesn't feel like 8.5 popsicles, it feels smaller. I've done some of my best skating on it.

that is because it is 8.5" at its widest point, and tapers down to 8.25" at the tail. so it is a unique shape, not just like a normal polar board, the shovel nose is pretty crazy , but the taper in the board definitely makes it feel smaller than a normal 8.5

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #352 on: March 31, 2021, 07:33:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
yeah, interested to see measurement differences between them. I jumped the gun and thought they were all on the polar site. Think it was removed. Interesting as @Mbrimson88 all the surf shapes I’ve seen don’t have the black top dims sticker.

Yeah it is almost as if that surf shape is the ONLY one they forgot to print the Polar sticker for, or for whatever reason they didn't do one (if the dimensions were incorrect), or maybe if it was more an experimental shape and they didn't want to have it tied down to one shape or size, as per now with the two options - the Jr and the Sr shapes.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #353 on: April 01, 2021, 11:22:43 AM »
i miss the p1
good come sausage

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #354 on: April 01, 2021, 03:48:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Case closed.

I just compared the Lime, White, and Yellow surf shapes.

The Lime is definitely wider and longer. SR 9.0 with a 14.5 wheelbase despite what Polar’s site says about it being Surf JR shape.

The White is 8.75 JR and shorter with a 14.375 wheelbase as is the Yellow.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #355 on: April 01, 2021, 03:52:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Case closed.

The Lime is definitely wider and longer. 9.0 with a 14.5 wheelbase despite what Polar’s site says about it being Surf JR shape.

The White is 8.75 and shorter as is the Yellow.

Gnarr'd, thank you.

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #356 on: April 01, 2021, 03:56:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Case closed.

The Lime is definitely wider and longer. 9.0 with a 14.5 wheelbase despite what Polar’s site says about it being Surf JR shape.

The White is 8.75 and shorter as is the Yellow.
[close]

Gnarr'd, thank you.

Now let’s just wait and see if those JR and SR dimensions pop up in both colors.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 04:09:18 PM by DeepSpace9mm »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #357 on: April 01, 2021, 04:48:36 PM »
What’re the rear bolts? Any different?  Now I’m curious between the 1991 JR and that 9” surf shape.

Looking like the 91 and 92 and Dane 1 will be gone soon. In favor of these new surfs, the Dane 1 jr and the 1991 jr.

I would guess catering shapes and sizes to their risers. Not many on the big shapes anymore. Which is cool.

DeepSpace9mm

« Reply #358 on: April 01, 2021, 04:56:26 PM »
What’re the rear bolts? Any different?  Now I’m curious between the 1991 JR and that 9” surf shape.

Looking like the 91 and 92 and Dane 1 will be gone soon. In favor of these new surfs, the Dane 1 jr and the 1991 jr.

I would guess catering shapes and sizes to their risers. Not many on the big shapes anymore. Which is cool.

It tapers from 8 and 5/16 at rearmost bolts to 8.5 at the inner rear bolts. About 8.375 in the middle of the bolts. 

If they do away with the Dane shape I’ll be sad. Super fun shape. I’d try a Dane JR though.

I never got a chance to try the 1991 or 1992 but I’d like to so I hope they put more of those out as well.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 06:04:48 PM by DeepSpace9mm »

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #359 on: April 02, 2021, 12:35:00 PM »
I'm going to be severely bummed if this is the last run of 1991s I can get my hands on