Author Topic: the skate photography thread  (Read 17475 times)

Matze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: the skate photography thread
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2022, 12:05:58 PM »
I‘m using a Epson V750, which works fine. It‘s just damn slow. Camera scanning seems to be a good option, works faster and quality is very good. You need to have a good digital workaround (I don‘t even have photoshop haha). People scan with a Fuji x system, a 35mm lens plus extension tube and it works fine.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2022, 02:01:18 PM »
I‘m using a Epson V750, which works fine. It‘s just damn slow. Camera scanning seems to be a good option, works faster and quality is very good. You need to have a good digital workaround (I don‘t even have photoshop haha). People scan with a Fuji x system, a 35mm lens plus extension tube and it works fine.

What is the scan time to do a hi res photo? I mean I am sort of a part time film photographer and to date have only finished less than 10 rolls of film but I am so used to digital that developing and then long scan times would drive me nuts.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

sharkjumper

• Rep: 39
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2022, 12:16:19 PM »
What’s your goal with the scans? Posting digitally, making larger prints? That’ll determine what you might need.

I have an old canon canoscan 9000F that is decent for stuff that’ll live in a digital space. It can scan pretty high res, but I’ve never printed from those files.

I’m part of a darkroom collective that has some impressive scanners. We have two epson flatbeds. Not sure on models. Those handled some old Kodachrome slides well. We also have a noritsu for 35mm and a imacon for larger format. Those are amazing, but not very practical for an at home setup.

I know a couple people who have run a light box and macro lens setup for scanning. A macro lens is pretty nice to have.

Simcity

• Rep: 24
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2022, 02:44:04 AM »
Recent stuff. Nothing too serious. Just shooting to make sure I can still...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CesxKIQp7B5/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeqvAS8JkwE/

grafal

• Rep: 1
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2022, 02:25:04 PM »
Anyone knows what setup Oliver Barton is using for his square fisheye shots?
Is it cropped to 1:1 circular fisheye???

Ps my work:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CezR7JTrsjs/?igshid=YTE5ODU0Yjk=

35mm

• Rep: 27
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2022, 02:47:21 PM »
Back in the film days the square fisheye shots were usually made with the hasselblad 30mm fisheye.

My guess is that he uses the canon 8-15mm fisheye at 8mm on a full frame camera and then crops to 1:1 (8mm or zoomed in enough so that there is not vignetting on the 1:1 crop.

grafal

• Rep: 1
« Reply #156 on: June 19, 2022, 12:26:55 AM »
Back in the film days the square fisheye shots were usually made with the hasselblad 30mm fisheye.

My guess is that he uses the canon 8-15mm fisheye at 8mm on a full frame camera and then crops to 1:1 (8mm or zoomed in enough so that there is not vignetting on the 1:1 crop.

I tried 8mm on ff but its hard to compose in camera.
Got some shots but after cropping to 1:1 in LR i find it often to cut off skaters hand or landing etc.
maybe he gaff tape lcd screen to see the final 1:1 crop without vigneting and then you have a better idea how to compose?

My example: if i would crop to get rid of vig on the top i would cut his head of.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEemonXPoVw/?igshid=NWRhNmQxMjQ=

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2022, 01:32:33 PM »
if its got blue sky like that thats easy af to just select it and do a content aware fill in photoshop. or even if youre using lightroom just use the spot removal brush.

also i believe oliver barton is using a nikon 10.5mm with the hood shaved off on a full frame body.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Simcity

« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2022, 06:17:39 AM »
Anyone knows what setup Oliver Barton is using for his square fisheye shots?
Is it cropped to 1:1 circular fisheye???

Ps my work:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CezR7JTrsjs/?igshid=YTE5ODU0Yjk=

I was wondering the exact same thing

Simcity

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:30:07 AM by gsosa »

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2022, 01:33:57 PM »

gsosa

• SLAP Pal

gmld

• Rep: 6
« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2022, 02:56:11 PM »
Hello guys, can somebody suggest me a camera setup to start shooting skateboarding photos? I Need advices for camera and lenses. For the camera i Wish i can get It with something like 500€. Then i Will get lenses and flashes step by step. Thank you! 

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2022, 10:48:23 AM »
I‘m pretty happy with my Fuji apsc setup, but you‘ll be able to get a full frame body for around 500 (canon 5d mark ii, Nikon d750 or some Sony a7). Camera should have a flash sync (x-sync) of 1/250 to freeze the object.
Canon and Nikon have a ton of good lenses (a fish is about 250 euro and 50mm about 120 euro). You might need a good tele at some point, which can be more expensive.

Flashes are another topic … I use a mix of cheap  yongnuo flashes and triggers, and also an old metz ct4. That’s cheap and without Metz brick it’s pretty portable.

supergooch

« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2022, 09:32:09 PM »
what’s up yall

shot some street / life photography on an old analog yashica I had years ago . had to handle some other things in life and I stopped taking photos , but I’m looking to get a dslr setup to start doing some skateboard photography .

used to have an acc on here and skateperception quite a few years ago . appreciate the last two posts and anyone sharing their insight . hope GAY and the other og folks are doing well .

apologies in advance for the washed ass questions I’m sure I’m going to ask . I don’t have an ig or social media so some of the posts come up as blank - the ones I do see in posts are all ill .

hope to get more active in here soon , just need to get a proper beginner cam and fisheye to start .

peace

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 56
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

Simcity

« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2022, 08:33:42 PM »

gmld

« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2022, 03:10:20 PM »
I‘m pretty happy with my Fuji apsc setup, but you‘ll be able to get a full frame body for around 500 (canon 5d mark ii, Nikon d750 or some Sony a7). Camera should have a flash sync (x-sync) of 1/250 to freeze the object.
Canon and Nikon have a ton of good lenses (a fish is about 250 euro and 50mm about 120 euro). You might need a good tele at some point, which can be more expensive.

Flashes are another topic … I use a mix of cheap  yongnuo flashes and triggers, and also an old metz ct4. That’s cheap and without Metz brick it’s pretty portable.
Thanks a lot! I'm looking many Infos on various sites, and i'm looking at used guaranteed photo stores in Italy. Thanks for giving me the Infos! I'm very new to photography. I do have filming setup but dont know nothing about photography. I Will take a look at those 3 models you suggested me. I didn't know that flash Sync exists and It Is so important.. i absolutely thought that synchronizing flash to camera Was the last of the problems, i mean i thought every camera Was able to easily synchronize with flashes. Obviously i Was wrong ;D...that Is an important thing to know.
Thank you for all the Infos!

gmld

« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2022, 03:19:17 PM »

Can you also suggest me a good analog camera please? My idea Was to get an analog camera! I forgot to write that in the First post. Full frame analog camera 35mm

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2022, 01:55:10 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/ChWS1kEpw5H/

sick! love it!

Expand Quote

[close]

Can you also suggest me a good analog camera please? My idea Was to get an analog camera! I forgot to write that in the First post. Full frame analog camera 35mm

For sure. Since there is no need to shot analog sequences anymore, you don't need a speedy motordrive. There are two possibilities for having fast x-sync: super modern autofocus (nikon f5, f6, f100, canon eos 1, minolta 9xi) or semi mechanical and manual (nikon fm3a, nikon fe2). I have a canon eos 5 with a 1/180 sync since 20 years, but if I would start from scratch I'd buy a nikon f100, it seems pretty good. you can find yongnuo flash systems for the modern nikons too which is a plus too.

X-sync seems like a obsession but it's pretty important to avoid motion blur and photograph in harsh lightning conditions. the hasselblad can do 1/500 and the results are such a joy to look at. you can hit me up instagram if you have any questions!

gmld

« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2022, 07:59:37 AM »

sick! love it!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For sure. Since there is no need to shot analog sequences anymore, you don't need a speedy motordrive. There are two possibilities for having fast x-sync: super modern autofocus (nikon f5, f6, f100, canon eos 1, minolta 9xi) or semi mechanical and manual (nikon fm3a, nikon fe2). I have a canon eos 5 with a 1/180 sync since 20 years, but if I would start from scratch I'd buy a nikon f100, it seems pretty good. you can find yongnuo flash systems for the modern nikons too which is a plus too.

X-sync seems like a obsession but it's pretty important to avoid motion blur and photograph in harsh lightning conditions. the hasselblad can do 1/500 and the results are such a joy to look at. you can hit me up instagram if you have any questions!
Nice! Thanks a lot. I Will look for a Nikon f100 then. I Will look also at the other models you suggested me!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2022, 05:54:06 PM »
Finally popped my fisheye cherry with this photo of Chico. He hit me up to get a photo for his latest Chico Stix board. Took a while to get the shot just cause getting the focus and composition for me takes a little getting used to.

And I finally figure out what was wrong with my strobe last shoot. I shot the photo at 1000th of a second at full power and got motion blur but it had to do the the flash duration at full power. This was shot at 1/4 and it was tack sharp.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChtNyZnroMU/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

And some other photos from an Oakland event.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChQ4RFlLlBh/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChSRkQLrAIu/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 56
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

yeayeaman

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #175 on: September 12, 2022, 03:24:55 AM »
love those! Scheveningen seems like a place to find super photogenic spots.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2022, 09:02:33 AM »
Went out skating with fellow Slap Pal @Freelancevagrant and snapped this portrait of him as well as a pivot at Austin high (second slide)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ciuxm2EOlwg/?igshid=NGIzOGRhOTI=

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2022, 10:52:32 AM »
I randomly ran into some photos from Clément Le Gall. Never heard of the guy but man his photos are so good and right up my alley.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDtLdktorn6/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCc_kHIoD2b/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9RzKploCSr/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw_4_NdFho1/

Are there any other photographers that I need to be following? I sort of only follow the OG skateboard photographers but need to follow some of the newer guys.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2022, 08:15:43 AM »
 Here's a back tail by Jamie Reyes I took from her trip to Guatemala.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci_Pb5rp3vN/?igshid=NDRkN2NkYzU=
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 11:06:06 AM by gsosa »

yeayeaman

« Reply #179 on: September 28, 2022, 03:30:47 AM »

Are there any other photographers that I need to be following? I sort of only follow the OG skateboard photographers but need to follow some of the newer guys.

Check out Rich West, Joel Peck, Biemer, I could go on!