Author Topic: Landing tricks on the beat of the song: when did it start?  (Read 1966 times)

Miserable Old Sack of Shit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Landing tricks on the beat of the song: when did it start?
« on: October 19, 2020, 09:32:25 PM »
Basically the title. What was the first video where they edited it so that the tricks are landed (or in some cases popped) on beat  with the song? Sidenote: I feel like this has been going away lately.

Nigel Houston

Re: Landing tricks on the beat of the song: when did it start?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 07:18:59 AM »
Basically since the beginning, like this section of a young Caballero from 1979 is right on the beat:
https://youtu.be/ZPFKAlupaNI?t=150

(What a ruler by the way! Think about that when you talk smack about the man's outfits, SLAP!)

Later than that, definitely all the Powell vids and segments directed by Stacy Peralta.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 07:22:12 AM »
The first time I really noticed was Menikmati, but that's also when I came into skating and had basically no exposure to videos prior.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 07:43:19 AM »
I feel like this was somewhat natural to do. IM sure we all can say weve muted a skate video and played another song that worked perfectly with the video as is

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 08:00:23 AM »
The first time I really noticed was Menikmati, but that's also when I came into skating and had basically no exposure to videos prior.

Arto's part set to CKY- Testing is pure gold on this. There's a reason that video is so highly regarded and still holds up today.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 08:11:33 AM »
Basically since the beginning, like this section of a young Caballero from 1979 is right on the beat:
https://youtu.be/ZPFKAlupaNI?t=150

(What a ruler by the way! Think about that when you talk smack about the man's outfits, SLAP!)

Later than that, definitely all the Powell vids and segments directed by Stacy Peralta.

There can be no kit exempted from scrutiny.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 08:15:05 AM »
sheffey soldiers story?
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 08:15:24 AM »
In the beginning god said, “Let thy music and thy tricks come together as one to rock.”

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 09:46:50 AM »
My understanding was that your brain kind of automatically syncs things that way so even if it were never intentionally done your brain would make you think it was happening.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 10:01:25 AM »
Started since the beginning of human history. Dance and performances have always been accompanied, and matched by music. It's unnatural and off putting to dance off beat, or to have upbeat music play during a dark tragedy in theater. Look into film score and theatre music, it's an interesting history.

Glurmpz

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 11:03:59 AM »
If you are editing something with music you time the music to visual cues, that's just a common sense rule of thumb. Like the one poster pointed out with the clip from 1979. The "start" was the beginning of film with sound. When skateboard videos came around it was already natural to sync the music with the visuals. Skateboarding makes percussion-like sounds, so if you don't time it to the music, it sounds bad and throws off the flow.

miff

• Rep: -7
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 11:28:39 AM »
Have no idea when it started...

Chima's part in Let's Live did it the most glaringly with that Australian Crawl track. Dope part. 

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 11:29:36 AM »
If you are editing something with music you time the music to visual cues, that's just a common sense rule of thumb. Like the one poster pointed out with the clip from 1979. The "start" was the beginning of film with sound. When skateboard videos came around it was already natural to sync the music with the visuals. Skateboarding makes percussion-like sounds, so if you don't time it to the music, it sounds bad and throws off the flow.

I think this is part of the reason why the VX1000 is so beloved, the mic / audio has such a nice warm quality to it and fits in the music better. A lot of the HD cameras used up until recently had horrible, flat tinny audio.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 11:31:58 AM »
My understanding was that your brain kind of automatically syncs things that way so even if it were never intentionally done your brain would make you think it was happening.
Put on a random song you like and somebody’s part and see how many times you get bummed because a trick was a half second too late or early to go with the music.

Editing is where it comes from not your brain. Meticulous cutting and decision making.

Hombreezy

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 12:44:11 PM »

These two did it best

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 12:57:38 PM »
The Chief.  Thrill of it all

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 01:04:26 PM »

Basically this for me. Koston's Menikmati part was the first time I was really conscious of editing to music. Now I edit commercials and documentaries, and every day I call on so many of the editing cues I learned from skate videos.

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 02:28:47 PM »
I think Roger talks about this with one of the older filmers on the Nine Club, but it started heavily with the invention of video editing software. Originally they used to have to record all the tricks together onto a VHS and timing stuff like that was nearly impossible. But when the first actual editing software came out, it made all that stuff so easy.

I forget which episode it was. Was it the Spike Jonze episode?

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 02:35:10 PM »
For me, it starts the second i put on my headphones

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 02:40:35 PM »
I remember Cky being prettymuch perfectly set w. The music. .
But their's lots of drops pauses & amazing nuances that make a video and song clique at legendary levels
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

quaintly

• Rep: 12
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 03:03:00 PM »
Pretty clearly noticeable in Jeremy wrays white room part (second hand smoke) .. I’m sure there’s earlier , but would’ve been way harder before digital editing .

shrekshreds420

• Rep: -2
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2020, 04:44:29 PM »
Pretty clearly noticeable in Jeremy wrays white room part (second hand smoke) .. I’m sure there’s earlier , but would’ve been way harder before digital editing .

This was the first part that came to mind. All those tricks down Hubba Hideout.

Glurmpz

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 05:04:12 PM »

From what I can tell, it was still quite hard to be accurate with the timing to music (even though it was always the goal) when SHS came out - lots of tape to tape editing that only allowed for estimates. That's why, if you pay attention, Wray's tricks don't actually land perfectly on the beat during some of the most important clips.

One thing that drives me nuts is when people don't realize the audio for the skate clip has become out of sync with the video. I see edits posted all the time with the sound off by a few frames. Sometimes it happens during the capture process, other times during editing and for some reason the timeline doesn't show the audio out of sync with the video (as it usually does). People need to pay more attention and catch that shit.

I've also noticed that most HD set-ups tend to make a lot of things you skate sound as if they're hollow - the sound isn't quite right. On a whim I decided not to get an external mic for my DSLR when I bought it years ago and I'm actually much happier with the on board mic sound for skating than what I've heard from most HD cams using an external mic.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -207
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2020, 06:00:00 PM »
Pat Brennan synced his skating to Super Mario music in one of the Powell videos

Chookilara

• Rep: -20
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2020, 06:01:16 PM »
Owen liban was the pioneer for landing tricks on the beat of a song. he first started doing it in his instagram edits

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 06:54:09 PM »
I know it’s not the first, but the first one that stuck with me was P Rod Yeah Right. Stomping tricks to those Nas instrumentals was the coolest shit ever to 15 year old me.

AssMountain

• Rep: 30
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2020, 06:56:24 PM »

These two did it best

Beat me to it.

That Chima part is incredible.

Once I was alone I just laid on the futon listening to Leonard Cohen and thinking about the other girl I liked and missed.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2020, 08:24:03 PM »
Food for thought; editing where the skater lands tricks on the beat has gotten easier.

Editing used to be done on an editing deck; you put your raw footage tapes in, and manually record clip by clip onto the edit with the song, which was another tape deck. All decisions and planning needed to be done beforehand. This is linear editing; you can't go back and make changes. The first editing software was also linear.

Then non-linear editing software came out; you could now go back and make changes to everything you did. You could better plan for clips to hit on a beat. But, on earlier non-linear editing software you still had to worry about rendering times. You make one change, render, and 30+ minutes later you can review your change. How much of that can you tolerate?

I remember Dan Magee even talking about this render delay problem when editing Waiting for the World, which came out in 2000. He made decisions and stuck with them because too much time was wasted if you nitpicked tiny details.

Now, fast forward to today. Make changes, and the software is seamlessly rendering as you work. No delays. You can stress out on whether the beat should hit 1 or 2 frames earlier.

So, in sum, this phenomenon was very much influenced by available technology.

Edit: watch the intro to the Trilogy Menace section to see a linear editing bay. My first experience editing was on one of these in high school (I'm not that old... the software already existed).

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2020, 09:50:27 PM »

I know trilogy is legendary, but it was before my time. I will always remember the video because it was before I skated and my cousin was super good and it was one of the many earlier videos he showed me from that time, but all I could remember was the name Trilogy, for a long time I thought it was a Shortys video because thats when he was showing me Fulfill the Dream. I couldn't tell you a single part of trilogy until I watched that clip and remembered the editing bay part I haven't seen in like 25 years.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2020, 10:07:27 PM »
The first one that comes to my mind is ricky oyola's part in eastern exposure 3. In 1996?