Author Topic: How can skateboarders golf?  (Read 11864 times)

Rocuronium

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
How can skateboarders golf?
« on: October 20, 2020, 12:23:32 AM »
In my experience golf courses and country clubs are populated by the kind of people who despise skateboarding, its culture, and lifestyle. Conversely much of what skate culture mocks is celebrated in that "world".

I'm always puzzled and disappointed when I learn that great skateboarders enjoy that scene (esp Crailtap camp).How do the former EMB/venice pit crews tolerate spending all that time assimilating with the douchy republican BMW crowd?

The actual sport itself doesn't bother me though I find it pretty awful from an environmental and urban use standpoint.

[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
Re: How can skateboarders golf?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 12:40:57 AM »
In my experience golf courses and country clubs are populated by the kind of people who despise skateboarding, its culture, and lifestyle. Conversely much of what skate culture mocks is celebrated in that "world".

I'm always puzzled and disappointed when I learn that great skateboarders enjoy that scene (esp Crailtap camp).How do the former EMB/venice pit crews tolerate spending all that time assimilating with the douchy republican BMW crowd?

The actual sport itself doesn't bother me though I find it pretty awful from an environmental and urban use standpoint.

Public courses exist. 
Liberals can drive nice cars. 
Golf is physically low impact.
What else do 40+ year olds do as a hobby

I don’t disagree with the environmental issues you mentioned and don’t quite get how obsessive people get about it, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve considered getting into it
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 12:58:51 AM by Atiba Applebum »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1552
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 01:00:27 AM »

I always thought of this in the same way. Golfing does not conjure up any positive connotations. It is up there with lacrosse or something.

Just go cycling or running, you old fools.

But, at the end of the day, everyone is free to do whatever they want and the more skateboarders you meet/see the more you realize that skateboarding brings together people from all walks of life and that eventually, no such connection will surprise you.

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 01:04:06 AM »
playing golf is fun.
i dont skate to be in this scene. i do it because its fun.

explained

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 01:54:55 AM »
I dont play it anymore but did a run with golf, if u don't know you don't know. Load the caddy up with beers, roll a few, leisurely stroll up to ur ball while hittin beers and buds, wack that sucker, start walkin again, finish 18 hopefully with a couple of surprise hammers and hit the club house for more beers... Oh and you can justify it as a mature form of exercise. Whats not to like?

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 02:48:41 AM »
To me golf pretty much encapsulates everything I never want my life to become. I just imagine a small group of emotionally repressed men dressed like Sean Malto making hackneyed wife jokes and bragging about the presumed superiority of their soulless jobs.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 04:21:01 AM »
Does Mikey Taylor golf? 

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 04:24:03 AM »
you guys are fucking haters
🤙

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 04:32:52 AM »
You sound like a fucking loser. Why would I care if someone despises my culture

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 04:49:32 AM »
I see golf as something very similar to skateboarding. It's a very personal battle and you're constantly tweaking your technique because of personal fuck ups. I understand how to kick flip, yet I can't land every single one I try despite being fairly competent on a skateboard. I see people battle themselves with golf in the same way. knowing what to do, then having to constantly practice to maintain consistency. It's not that cool of a sport in my opinion but I look lame as fuck skateboarding too. I'm too tall and goofy looking. I think golfing and skateboarding are very personal sports where competition is generally looked at second, not first when practicing. At least that's how I see it.

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 05:03:46 AM »
Load the caddy up with beers, roll a few, leisurely stroll up to ur ball while hittin beers and buds, wack that sucker, start walkin again, finish 18 hopefully with a couple of surprise hammers and hit the club house for more beers... Oh and you can justify it as a mature form of exercise. Whats not to like?

This.

And golf is the least “jockish” sport I can think of besides tennis.  You sound like someone that would literally bitch about anything and ruin everyone else’s time. 

EDIT: That was directed at OP, not you hateboard.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:25:11 AM by Dirk_Diggler »

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 05:12:13 AM »
how could you not think hitting a ball with an iron bat as hard as you can/ as precise as you can over obstacles on an beautifully made outdoor course while walking on fresh mowed grass with your friends is fun?

keeping the whole golf course clean is essential for keeping the sport competitive.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 05:23:11 AM by fs180 »

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 05:29:47 AM »

You're looking at it similar to how outsiders look at skateboarding. For example, most non skaters would categorise skating as either a toy for young kids or the 'extreme' xgames, monster energy, nyjah type shit that gets hated on on here. They would have no knowledge of the different sub-cultures within skateboarding.

It's the same as golf, millions of people around the world play the game and you've put everyone in the rich, American, country club bracket which is probably a tiny proportion of golfers worldwide. There is for sure some bullshit in golf but to lump everyone together in that bracket is pretty lazy thinking. The game is many different things to different people.

Tommy G

• Rep: -8
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 05:55:40 AM »
That's pretty judgmental of you bruv. Back when I was a kid in California we didn't have a lot of money, but my dad got some golf clubs at a yard sale and I got some from my cousin and we used to hit the driving range every week because it's something he and I could both play. It was a few dollars for a couple of buckets and we had a good time. I wish there were public courses around my city here because there is more of that upper echelon demographic that plays golf here, but it's not like I really care about what they think of me or skateboarding. The same applies to any skateboarders that play. We just enjoy what we enjoy other than skateboarding and don't give a fuck what others think.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 06:01:04 AM »
I've never played a round of golf, but I've definitely gone to the driving and putting ranges. My dad used to have to golf for work events, so he would fine tune his skills and bring me along. I had a big red mohawk for years and he would pick me up in his button up shirt and tie, and off we would go. This was also when you could smoke in public, so we would hit balls and smoke like Mad Men (pun!). I think he liked that my presence would bum out the regular golf guys. He liked to pull out ye olde "Take a picture, it'll last longer!" to people staring at my Exploited ripoff style. And we would just laugh and smoke.

I love mini golf a lot. Take my son at least 3 times a year. Shit is fun. There's a golf course I drive by on my way to and from work. Lots of people hang there. I haven't yet had the itch to fully play (someone explain to me all the 9 iron shit?), but I don't hate it.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 06:27:40 AM »
Sometimes you just need like a break from the hellride, man.

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 06:36:27 AM »
I've never played a round of golf, but I've definitely gone to the driving and putting ranges. My dad used to have to golf for work events, so he would fine tune his skills and bring me along. I had a big red mohawk for years and he would pick me up in his button up shirt and tie, and off we would go. This was also when you could smoke in public, so we would hit balls and smoke like Mad Men (pun!). I think he liked that my presence would bum out the regular golf guys. He liked to pull out ye olde "Take a picture, it'll last longer!" to people staring at my Exploited ripoff style. And we would just laugh and smoke.

I love mini golf a lot. Take my son at least 3 times a year. Shit is fun. There's a golf course I drive by on my way to and from work. Lots of people hang there. I haven't yet had the itch to fully play (someone explain to me all the 9 iron shit?), but I don't hate it.

Basically:

SW - PW - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 -3 - 3 Wood - Driver
Shortest and Highest     <>     Longest and Lowest

Although a driver does go quite high it is not that high relative to the length of the shot. Sand wedge has the highest loft about 56 degrees and driver has the lowest, about 10 degrees. Close to the green you would use a sand wedge and off the tee on a long hole usually a driver. Most decent players have yardage measuring devices now and you learn how far you hit each club (Usually at a range) and then you chose the club depending how far you are on a particular shot.

itsyourdad

• Rep: 57
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 06:43:45 AM »
love the guy that called golf his culture,

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 06:52:12 AM »
Disc golf is the answer, no matter the question.

The natural, free courses are low impact, no douchy attire rules, cheap to do, and can just as easily get drunk and swear all you want when you go in the rough as ‘regular’ golf.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 06:52:46 AM »
i like mini golf

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 06:55:25 AM »
Disc golf is the answer, no matter the question.

The natural, free courses are low impact, no douchy attire rules, cheap to do, and can just as easily get drunk and swear all you want when you go in the rough as ‘regular’ golf.

My best friend and I went through a disc golf phase. It usually started with smoking the ganja in the car, then 3 rounds of disc golf, followed up by our victory Slushee at 7-11. Good times

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2020, 07:00:36 AM »
On a side note, my cousin used to caddy at the merion outside of philly. Real high end place. Anyway, he said it was a great job, would usually smoke up with the people there and he made 200 a bag plus tips in cash. So if he carried two bags in the morning, two in the afternoon, that was 800 easy plus he'd get tips. You can't beat a job like that.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 07:28:32 AM »
I dont play it anymore but did a run with golf, if u don't know you don't know. Load the caddy up with beers, roll a few, leisurely stroll up to ur ball while hittin beers and buds, wack that sucker, start walkin again, finish 18 hopefully with a couple of surprise hammers and hit the club house for more beers... Oh and you can justify it as a mature form of exercise. Whats not to like?

It is an infuriating game, but provides a familiar level of personal satisfaction when you hit a good shot, sink a long putt, or score par or better on a hole. You can keep score, but it's you against your mind and body -- just like skating.

Pro tip: Get a bucket of range balls and hit the course.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2020, 07:28:40 AM »
What do you mean how can skaters golf?  I believe they do it just like anyone else: set up a tee time, show up with their clubs, wearing appropriate attire and hop on their assigned cart.

As long as the rules of the course/club are followed, they are allowed to play, skateboarders or not.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

headtowall

• Rep: -12
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2020, 07:32:45 AM »
As a person who plays way more golf than skates, it's fucking easy. You roll up with your crew, drink some beers, play your round that's it.

It's not like every person you meet skating is cool, most are douchebags but much like golf you have one common denominator.

Golf is so similar to skating its crazy. Legit same mindset and feel out there.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 07:35:48 AM »
My biggest problem with this, is that you assume because someone skates, they must like certain things and, think and act in certain ways, which is the antithesis of what skateboarding is. It is an Individual act. Some individuals Golf. The greatest minority is the individual. You are imposing the same assumptions you make about how golfers see skating back on to them.
Proverbs 27:17

diogenesofkokomo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2020, 08:08:30 AM »
I felt the same way until I was of legal age to drink booze. I get it now. It's not about the golf, it's about the beer and golf carts.

michael scarn

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2020, 08:17:57 AM »
Idk man i feel like you're putting golfers into a single category. I'm sure there's a lot of good people that golf and don't fit into the square box you're putting golfers into.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2020, 08:20:05 AM »
Played golf growing up, don’t have the patience for it at this part of my life but I will most likely get into as I get older.

Golf is good to learn when you’re younger because it’s a sport you can keep playing as an old man. Socialize and as someone previously mentioned, low impact.

Public courses like someone said. I always had fun on a public course. I’ve only been to really nice courses like twice and I just fucking hate it. Even as a kid all these old rich people. Go to the public courses and buy some beer when the cart with the snacks comes around

Golf is really just a way to get out of the house and get drunk or high all day without anyone judging.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 115
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2020, 08:24:35 AM »
the fancy clubs full of rich dudes and pages of rules are a joke (The Berrics), but grabbin your buds and heading to the budget public 18 for beers and three hours of walking and talking is a fun time (Your local slimey public park).

like someone said above its a personal game just like skating, if you like beating your head on the same task over and over you might like the actual golf too
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:46:44 AM by Stu Pickles »