Author Topic: Most catastrophic equipment failure  (Read 2138 times)

Sandygoat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -45
  • THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
Most catastrophic equipment failure
« on: November 08, 2020, 07:41:57 AM »
What was the most dangerous/ expensive equipment malfunction you've had. Hanger falling off mid hill bomb, Wheel falling off with your Swiss ceramics falling into a gutter or a board snapping after you roll out the shop. Is there some brands that have a tendency to crash and burn? It seems like whenever it happens it's like a three stooges scene.

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
Re: Most catastrophic equipment failure
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 07:32:32 PM »
Ace truck axel nut fell off while trying to lock into a fs 180 nosegrind. This was when Ace was doing axel nuts that were the same size as a hardware nut. Got layed out and winded from that.

Sandygoat

• THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 07:51:18 PM »
I don't how that got green lit. Other than that what were your feelings on the trucks ?

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 08:04:40 PM »
Never had any catastrophic failures but I was skating a decent sized mini ramp and when I finished my run I noticed my wheel nut was so close to coming off that I just pulled it off with my fingers without unscrewing it at all. So that could have been catastrophic I guess.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 08:12:17 PM »
Ran really loose Thunders. Roll-in into a pool, my axel nut came off and the first kick turn sent my hanger, top bushing, and wheels flying. Naturally, I ate shit. Thank goodness for helmets!

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 08:51:00 PM »
The 1st time a blew out a bearing Coulda been a steeper hill but yup ate shit. Also had a loose thunder debacle but I was in shock like could not understand what the fuck happened, wasn't even goin fast it just slipped out and was just in awe. Like that kid who couldn't belive jeremy wray ollied that sidewalk.
Whoa. Danger.

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 08:51:26 PM »
Puleo lost a wheel at El Sereno.
Right right righhhh

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 10:09:57 PM »
I don't how that got green lit. Other than that what were your feelings on the trucks ?
Other than tiny nuts they were good. I had 44's they felt solid, alot of turn but they were a little heavier than I expected. They look sexy though

Yoshi

• Rep: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 01:54:39 AM »
Travelled down to London for a solo session a few years back when Palace had the Mwadlands park up. Had a fresh Magenta deck set up for it.  Anyway, headed to southbank first before Mwadlands opened, and it was barely half hour in and the deck snapped clean though on a kickflip on the bank.. couldn’t exactly call it a day at that point, so headed to Slam City Skates to buy another deck (a £60 Isle one) and headed to Mwadlands, only for it, by that point, to be crowded as fuck with all the regulars, so I barely skated it. An expensive day of not very much skating..

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 07:24:17 AM »
I was messin around with bones bushins for the first time with thunders and I tried rolling into an indoor bowl like where you put ur front truck in first and rock in and as I rocked in my hanger completely fell off cause it was loose and I ate it, I told the guy who saw it that must have been really funny

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 08:21:33 AM »
Breaking hardware bolts - they were the diamond ones where you could tighten them with allen keys on both sides.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 08:46:31 AM »
I was messin around with bones bushins for the first time with thunders and I tried rolling into an indoor bowl like where you put ur front truck in first and rock in and as I rocked in my hanger completely fell off cause it was loose and I ate it, I told the guy who saw it that must have been really funny
First time swapping stock Thunder bushings with Bones, the kingpin nut loosened itself and fell off. I heard something metal (the flat washer) hit the pavement and as I considered what that sound could’ve been, I lifted the nose of the board and the hanger fell off, got pitched. A week later I heard the same sound. Although the outcome was the same, at least this time I knew, as I flew through the air, what was happening.

Also had a Minilogo cruiser wheel lose a huge chunk at high speed either causing or caused by a fall that kept me off the board for a month. At some point not too long ago someone posted something about having superglued a wheel back together which sounded ridiculous but weeks later I figured I’d give it a shot since those wheels weren’t doing me any good. So far no problems.

Should I have just bought new wheels for my late night trips to the corner store?
Yes.
Am I tempting fate running glued-together wheels at high speed in the dark?
Yes.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 08:51:21 AM »
When Spitfire used to make wheels with plastic cores I had a brand new set at the park and the whole core popped out when I powerslid over a fairly tall hump. I got wrecked.

One time I ollied a gap that was big for me at the time and after I did it I noticed the nut to my axle had fallen off but my wheel stayed on until I picked up my board after rolling away. So that was nice.

Sandygoat

• THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 03:30:23 PM »
Travelled down to London for a solo session a few years back when Palace had the Mwadlands park up. Had a fresh Magenta deck set up for it.  Anyway, headed to southbank first before Mwadlands opened, and it was barely half hour in and the deck snapped clean though on a kickflip on the bank.. couldn’t exactly call it a day at that point, so headed to Slam City Skates to buy another deck (a £60 Isle one) and headed to Mwadlands, only for it, by that point, to be crowded as fuck with all the regulars, so I barely skated it. An expensive day of not very much skating..
The fact that you didn't skate afterwards hurts in the soul. A circle of protection on you and your endeavors so mote in the witch's circle.

Sandygoat

• THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 03:34:30 PM »
When Spitfire used to make wheels with plastic cores I had a brand new set at the park and the whole core popped out when I powerslid over a fairly tall hump. I got wrecked.

One time I ollied a gap that was big for me at the time and after I did it I noticed the nut to my axle had fallen off but my wheel stayed on until I picked up my board after rolling away. So that was nice.
On that note I was cruising in the street and I didn't tighten my wheel nut. I heard a weird noise and I started to slow down. I thought I managed to power through a stop rock. To my dismay my spitfires were rolling down the street with my swiss ceramics in them. I picked up my wheel and had to walk back home in shame.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 04:57:48 PM »
 Trying not once, not twice but 3 times Ace. Waste of money and time.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2020, 05:14:56 PM »
Rolling down a long, steep and narrow brick bank and front kingpin broke. Got pitched badly and fell from height.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 01:47:50 AM by FUBAR »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2020, 07:33:04 PM »
None so far.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 08:03:35 PM »
the first time my friend tried to have sex with a girl he got really scared and drank too much and suffered some catastrophic equipment failure RIP :(

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 08:08:31 PM »
I know their wood is allegedly better, but when I got back into skating 10 years ago, I made the nostalgic mistake of running back to back crail wood.  The first was an 8.125 Marc Johnson Chocolate, which lasted two weeks before snapping, and the second was an 8.125 Mike Carrol board which exploded over the front truck bolts on a flatground heelfip after 2 days.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2020, 08:48:44 PM »
i used to wear my shoes super loose with that stuffed  extra tongue - i was kick flipping a 5 stair - board landed primo and my shoe flew off - thankfully i was 14-15 with a much higher tolerance for pain and being able to recover faster then i am now...

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

IpathCats

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2020, 03:22:03 AM »
I had one of those hardware size axle nuts on Ace's fly off while filming my friend at the brooklyn banks. Made for a pretty funny shot at least with me slamming with the camera. My other friend was skating a super old set of Ace's that day, had already cracked the hangar. On our way from the banks to LES his hangar finally snapped just skating on some rough sidewalk or something. I looked back and he was down. Glad I told him to bring his new set, or his day would've been over. Lots of ace stories on here haha. What people will put themselves through for a good turn......

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 03:02:46 AM »
the first time my friend I tried to have sex with a girl he I got really scared and drank too much and suffered some catastrophic equipment failure RIP :(
Is ok buddy, shit happens.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sandygoat

• THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 05:54:40 AM »
I had one of those hardware size axle nuts on Ace's fly off while filming my friend at the brooklyn banks. Made for a pretty funny shot at least with me slamming with the camera. My other friend was skating a super old set of Ace's that day, had already cracked the hangar. On our way from the banks to LES his hangar finally snapped just skating on some rough sidewalk or something. I looked back and he was down. Glad I told him to bring his new set, or his day would've been over. Lots of ace stories on here haha. What people will put themselves through for a good turn......
Aren't they just a replica of the stage 3's. I understand the hanger one but the hardware wheel nut is still mind boggling.

IpathCats

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2020, 06:47:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Aren't they just a replica of the stage 3's. I understand the hanger one but the hardware wheel nut is still mind boggling.

There wasn't even any nylon to lock those nuts on lol. Ace QC was notoriously bad at first. They've gotten better, but they've still got a couple kinks to work out. Their consistency is much better now, but the hangars still bend more easily than other trucks, and the pivot cups are horrible. Hopefully the new ones coming out in spring address this issues along with the other improvements.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 08:28:51 AM »
Axle nut and wheel flew off my truck when I was rolling up to try my first gap to noseslide, down a 10 stair ledge. Thankfully the equipment failed, if not 19 year old me would have been seriously fucked by those stairs.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 10:20:51 AM »
Spitfire core wheels. Over time, each wheel just started separating from the core and blew up on me while skating. Not fun.
Also had Royal Trucks (problem #1) that the base plates cracked on me 20 minutes before entering a game of skate contest, so I had to buy new trucks: Thunder hollow lights, and rush back to the contest. Worst timing.

Side note: I had AWS plastic core wheels (i think I still have them) on my first real set up (2006) and they skated better than the spitfire cores. They were "Shitfire wheels" to me ever since 2008. Only recently (3 weeks ago) did I try my first F4 and I'm impressed Spitfire finally got their shit together and made a wheel as good as the Bones STFs with the Formula 4 compound. I know they've been around for years but I was a Bones loyalist after all the flat spotting and core separation on previous Spitfires.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020, 10:35:49 AM »
I actually never had anything that bad, but I’ve seen some funny ones...

Once I was with some friends hill bombing this mellow hill but super long. I was kinda in the zone just cruising and then I see this wheel passing by me. I look back and my friend was just getting up from falling because his wheel fell off, he then proceed to sprint after the wheel the whole way down the hill and that was pretty hilarious ahah.

Other wheel issue, I was at this spot that has kind of a kicker and my friend is trying a hardflip. He’s close to land it but then in one of his tries the axle nut falls of and sends one of his brand new wheels flying over the fence into this huge drop. Down there it’s like a death corner train track into a tunnel. So like, no way we would try to go grab the wheel. He was so pissed because he’s always running the shittiest hand me down stuff and he just caved in to buy that expensive set of Bones wheels. He got lucky because I had 1 brand new wheel at home from a set of 4 + 1 wheels that I got once. They were the same size too, just thinner shape. But it was funny to see the wheels wearing down differently, probably because of different duro.
Wait, I actually have footy of that:

The other day I also saw this dude literally breaking a chunk off of the heel of his adidas city cups. It was so weird. Like half of his heel went flying and it broke like twig, skating flatground. Funny that once a Pal (I don’t recall who it was) also sent me a picture of his busenitz pro’s that broke in a really similar way.

Last but not least. Last year we’re at this 3 day skate trip in Prague we did between work friends. First day, late afternoon, my mate is trying this kickflip from a kicker at Stalin Platz and lands straight in the tail, snaps it. We try to go to find a skateshop that is still open to get a deck, we find this kinda shitty mall shop. He only rides the oldschool Winkowski Santa Cruz shape and they had one, but it was like 95€. He’s like “fuck it, I’ll get it anyway”. But they don’t have grip tape wide enough, only clear griptape and it was like 10€, So he gets fucking clear griptape and proceeds to do the wackiest sticker job behind it. I swear, that shit was grim. Ahah.
The day after is raining so we go to the only “indoor” park and skate there. My friend spends the whole afternoon trying a 50-50 flip out on this shitty ledge, then lands it and snaps his tail. You can see he is so pissed. Throws the board away in anger and we are just all laughing. The last day he’s riding the only spare deck we had with us that was like a used 8.0 on his 169 indys with huge wheels, and like a size 12 foot. That shit looked so ridiculous, I couldn’t stop making fun of him ahah.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2020, 10:40:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

There wasn't even any nylon to lock those nuts on lol. Ace QC was notoriously bad at first. They've gotten better, but they've still got a couple kinks to work out. Their consistency is much better now, but the hangars still bend more easily than other trucks, and the pivot cups are horrible. Hopefully the new ones coming out in spring address this issues along with the other improvements.

Are the pivot cups still shit? I remember blowing mine in like 2 months of skating which is not usual at all for me, and this was like 4/5 years ago. That and slipping both axles also maybe after 4 months of riding them. Never retired trucks so early. I wanna try Aces again but am kinda sketched out by the shitty QC they had in the past.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sandygoat

• THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2020, 11:19:52 AM »
I actually never had anything that bad, but I’ve seen some funny ones...

Once I was with some friends hill bombing this mellow hill but super long. I was kinda in the zone just cruising and then I see this wheel passing by me. I look back and my friend was just getting up from falling because his wheel fell off, he then proceed to sprint after the wheel the whole way down the hill and that was pretty hilarious ahah.

Other wheel issue, I was at this spot that has kind of a kicker and my friend is trying a hardflip. He’s close to land it but then in one of his tries the axle nut falls of and sends one of his brand new wheels flying over the fence into this huge drop. Down there it’s like a death corner train track into a tunnel. So like, no way we would try to go grab the wheel. He was so pissed because he’s always running the shittiest hand me down stuff and he just caved in to buy that expensive set of Bones wheels. He got lucky because I had 1 brand new wheel at home from a set of 4 + 1 wheels that I got once. They were the same size too, just thinner shape. But it was funny to see the wheels wearing down differently, probably because of different duro.
Wait, I actually have footy of that:

The other day I also saw this dude literally breaking a chunk off of the heel of his adidas city cups. It was so weird. Like half of his heel went flying and it broke like twig, skating flatground. Funny that once a Pal (I don’t recall who it was) also sent me a picture of his busenitz pro’s that broke in a really similar way.

Last but not least. Last year we’re at this 3 day skate trip in Prague we did between work friends. First day, late afternoon, my mate is trying this kickflip from a kicker at Stalin Platz and lands straight in the tail, snaps it. We try to go to find a skateshop that is still open to get a deck, we find this kinda shitty mall shop. He only rides the oldschool Winkowski Santa Cruz shape and they had one, but it was like 95€. He’s like “fuck it, I’ll get it anyway”. But they don’t have grip tape wide enough, only clear griptape and it was like 10€, So he gets fucking clear griptape and proceeds to do the wackiest sticker job behind it. I swear, that shit was grim. Ahah.
The day a
fter is raining so we go to the only “indoor” park and skate there. My friend spends the whole afternoon trying a 50-50 flip out on this shitty ledge, then lands it and snaps his tail. You can see he is so pissed. Throws the board away in anger and we are just all laughing. The last day he’s riding the only spare deck we had with us that was like a used 8.0 on his 169 indys with huge wheels, and like a size 12 foot. That shit looked so ridiculous, I couldn’t stop making fun of him ahah.
He couldn't cut it in half and have a racing stripe down the middle?