Author Topic: Awkward Situations at the Skatepark  (Read 55837 times)

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
Awkward Situations at the Skatepark
« on: January 20, 2021, 08:56:55 PM »
Has to be some good opinions on here.

For me, I cant get over feeling awkward when I land something at the park and strangers are giving props.  I immediately subconsciously go into "took long enough" mode or act tired then get a drink of water.  One time I pointed at the guy banging his board on the ground, felt like a douche bag after.

Obviously skating with buddies is different but I skate solo a lot these days so I run into this issue sometimes on the occasions when i actually land something.  Plus I judge people when they get over-hyped over landing their own trick, unless they really had to battle for it i guess.

cky enthusiast

Re: Awkward Situations at the Skatepark
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 06:22:10 AM »
one time i borrowed a lighter from some hippie chick on roller skates and didn’t realize we had known each other intimately until after i gave it back

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 06:30:29 AM »
"was that switch" "no"

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 06:33:33 AM »
everytime I go to the park in the PM, exactly why I turned into an AM warrior and slide out around 11 when the heshers are rolling in

JohnnyBoy

• Rep: 7
    • Fat Skater avatar image
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 06:55:16 AM »
I'm too stupid to remember the order in which people are skating the box, so I'm always in those situations where I have to point to someone to signal them to go before me. Usually ends in a stand off where we exchange points from opposite sides of the park 2 or 3 times. Then sometimes they're too nice and insist that I go, but Im out of shape and out of breath so I have to signal AGAIN that its their turn.

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 07:06:38 AM »

UwU

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 07:08:17 AM »
Theres this one guy thats at the park time to time in the AM seshs when no one is there but me and him. We had a mutual friend in high school and i stayed at his house once, but we never say a word to each other unless its something like 'you got a tool' or 'you have any wax'.

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 07:44:46 AM »
You know when you joke around with guys at the park about how old you are, then you realize they think you're 15 years younger than you actually are?

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 07:50:37 AM »
When I'm trying to introduce myself and make a friend and he just pulls an earpod from under his beanie and says 'huh?'

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 07:50:57 AM »
You know when you joke around with guys at the park about how old you are, then you realize they think you're 15 years younger than you actually are?

Ngl I do enjoy when this happens
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 08:02:28 AM »
When someone’s battling a trick on something, and then someone else comes up and without realizing that the other guy was trying the same trick, proceeds to do it first or second try.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 08:11:57 AM »
When someone’s battling a trick on something, and then someone else comes up and without realizing that the other guy was trying the same trick, proceeds to do it first or second try.

Happens to me all the time. I was battling a smith and some 12 year old Smith 180s it first t. I had to try something else after that.

Limp Krook

• Rep: -1
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 08:21:39 AM »
everytime I go to the park in the PM, exactly why I turned into an AM warrior and slide out around 11 when the heshers are rolling in

Yewww just hellride brother (tosses pbr down) one love but yo get the FUCK outta my way while Me n the boyz front slash the entire QP n indiscriminately snake, we’re just cruising tho ahaa yewwww shout-out Tinder, aYao ya good doggy? u got a stoge?

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 08:28:53 AM »
ive crashed into the same scooter kid on accident at least 12 times

Frank and Fred

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 08:35:52 AM »
A group of kids on bikes (maybe 11 to 14 years old) proclaimed it was their park now and they will ride whenever and however they like. I can share but then you roll in on me, I'm going to explain I like to use the deep and shallow in the same run and you have to wait. Needless to say, they told me to fuck off and continued deliberately cutting everyone off.  So I let the air out of one of their bike tires. They called me a 'tweaker' and threatened to get their dad. I welcomed the threat. Anyway, I felt a little awkward being a middle aged man letting air out of kids' bike tries... but you can't punch kids these days...

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 08:44:44 AM »
Not sure if it counts as awkward but watching white kids from cul de sac suburbs in baggy sweatpants filming themselves slowly trying to switch crook the last 4 inches of the ledge all day makes me want to quit skating.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 08:50:02 AM »
I slipped out and broke a roller blader's flood light he had directly in front of a ledge I always skate. I told him "yeah, someone over waxed the ledge" knowing him and his crew go around and cake everything with paraffin before their sessions. I skated away awkwardly

Your Cousin Marvin

• Rep: -144
  • Having my poasts moderated makes me sad
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 08:54:16 AM »
When you go to the skatepark showers and you're already undressed but they're all being used so you gotta double up with one of the homies.
1:1 Ratio

cky enthusiast

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 08:55:01 AM »
I slipped out and broke a roller blader's flood light he had directly in front of a ledge I always skate. I told him "yeah, someone over waxed the ledge" knowing him and his crew go around and cake everything with paraffin before their sessions. I skated away awkwardly

any time those dudes show up they overwax everything and then proceed to slam so hard they look like charlie brown getting hit by the baseball in peanuts

i don’t think these concepts are unrelated

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 08:58:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ngl I do enjoy when this happens

Not me. I hate it when they think I’m younger than I am. My age is the only way I can justify how terrible I’ve gotten.

Off my skateboard I love it though.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 08:59:49 AM »
Expand Quote
"was that switch" "no"
[close]

Hahah amazing

It’s the “are you pregnant” of skateboarding.

Happy, sorry

• Rep: -12
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 09:01:26 AM »
The park was me and 2 other skateboarders. And one mountain biker in track pants. I was skating like I do every other day, find the flow, stay out of the way. Sometimes I get too comfortable.  I roll in on my way to the euro, first pump i look up and there he is coming right at me. I jump in the fetal position and goku spear him off his bike. I was just glad to be ok. I think I bent his tire. I’m not the one to look for trouble so I just kept skating like every other day. But my homies loved to heckle. 10 minutes later this guy is hopping around like Bruce lee saying he’ll fight the whole skate park. Shirtless in track pants. He calmed down when he saw how scared we were. Or maybe he realized his rim was bent and i was like 14.

Brguy

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 09:06:33 AM »
I like the compliments, it's either "oh this? this is nothing to me" or just being grateful for landing something difficult and someone giving you props for it. Although I usually just say thanks and keep quiet for the rest of the time, no need to brag about how good you're feeling at the moment.

Expand Quote
[close]

any time those dudes show up they overwax everything and then proceed to slam so hard they look like charlie brown getting hit by the baseball in peanuts

i don’t think these concepts are unrelated
Reminded me of this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cEXnCsdP3A

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 09:16:47 AM »
There used to a random drunk dude who would hang out at the skatepark and watch us skate and be super stoked on. He'd show up and give everyone beers, seemed like a nice guy but definitely crazy as are most unemployed alcoholics are who hang out in public parks. So one night we decided to hit up a local bar after skating which this guy heard about and assumed he was invited, in turn we turned around and lied to him and told him we weren't going. This dude knew we didn't want him to come and he was crushed, we never saw him after that day.

michael scarn

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 09:25:01 AM »
One time i saw a remote control car and my kneejerk reaction was to say get that shit outta here before I realized it was a local who definitely knew park etiquette. It was only out for a second and he wasn't even getting in anyone's way. The guy was definitely a bit of an asshole but looking back i should have just held my tongue.

michael scarn

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2021, 09:32:28 AM »
ive crashed into the same scooter kid on accident at least 12 times

I've had some of the most awkward collisions with scooter kids and little kids on bikes I'm always so embarrassed. It always seems to be me who does it.

That said, i don't get mad or laugh it off i always try and make contact with the parent and apologize to both them and the kid regardless of fault.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2021, 09:37:29 AM »
im 100% the "yeooowwwW" yelling guy to just about anything. to me, it may be a subconscious way to make things NOT awkward. id rather acknowledge people over ignoring them and skate like theyre not there. plus im always stoked. i love skateboarding what can i say
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:29:29 AM by tension »
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2021, 09:42:42 AM »
A scooter kid hurt himself and left the park crying. A few minutes later, his dad comes up to yell at my friend and I for not watching him. We were 14 or 15 year old kids at the time and didn’t know the kid. We responded with shit like, “he’s your kid, why aren’t you watching him?” and if he wants a babysitter he should pay us. Dude left after yelling some more and threatened to call the cops. Cops never came...

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 09:46:18 AM »
One time i saw a remote control car and my kneejerk reaction was to say get that shit outta here before I realized it was a local who definitely knew park etiquette. It was only out for a second and he wasn't even getting in anyone's way. The guy was definitely a bit of an asshole but looking back i should have just held my tongue.

there is some asshole that comes to my park with a remote control car and launches it off of everything at top speed while people are skating.  i've thought about telling him something and decided against it.  he looks kind of nuts/tweakerish, is pretty big, and is a neighborhood local (there are a lot of murders in the area, and even a couple in the park).  He seems to think he's keeping out of the way, but im just waiting to be skating along minding my own business when i get smacked in the face by a flying car. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2021, 09:55:15 AM »
I got smacked in the arm by a scooter doing a fly out tail whip. It did hurt but the look on the kids face after it happened was too funny for me to get mad. He must have had some bad interactions at the park before because he looked so terrified, but I just ended up sighing and skating away. What was nice was that I got a lot of breathing room from the other little scooter kids in the park for the rest of the day, and it didn't really affect my session at all. More awkward for them than for me I guess