Author Topic: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session  (Read 66506 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
Re: Tell Us About Your Last Skate Session
« Reply #1710 on: October 12, 2023, 12:19:42 AM »
I've been skating less these last couple of weeks but yesterday took the board on a stroll at the lake with my wife, just for giggles recreated a few tricks I filmed there before... manny on a natural stone manny table, few slides and grinds on a nice ledge, and to top it off, popped a nice fs flip on flat after two or three tries. Satisfying.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #1711 on: October 12, 2023, 01:27:19 AM »
i think i've skated about 25 sessions over the last 30 days, and the middle two weeks of that were great - but now i'm feeling leggy as fuck and the wheels (metaphorically) are coming off.

to fix it i need to stop for like a week, but the weather won't let me. i'm trying to get as much in before autumn truly sets in and we've had a freakishly dry september and october so i keep feeling it would be mad to rest when there's gonna be rain coming in at some point. so i've been skating on absolute fumes. monday was the worst i've skated for maybe a year and a half. at one point i felt so foreign to myself i thought i was having a mild dissociative episode.

yesterday i was breaking in brand new shoes (franky v 417s). this combined with leggyness meant my expectations were zero, but it went okay. i got bs big spin off the 'big' bump for the first time. i'm on a mission to take every trick i know off the bump and for some reason big spin felt like it would be a hard one to translate, but it was actually fine. i've now only got one regular stance trick to go (front heel). lots left to do in the other stances though...judging by how varial heel went (literally two straight hours of attempts), front heel is gonna be murder. might have to be a spring project.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
« Reply #1712 on: October 12, 2023, 01:39:42 AM »
Got served trying some third-eye type thing on a big metal statue, in the rain, at night. Almost landed it, next try stuck and flew into metal beams with my hip and shoulder. Haven't walked much in a couple days. Frankly, I couldn't have picked a better way to hurt myself.

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #1713 on: October 12, 2023, 09:19:31 AM »
i.b. ollieng north and nollieng 180 and floating my back pivots

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #1714 on: October 12, 2023, 02:56:50 PM »
Frankly, I couldn't have picked a better way to hurt myself.
This is a great answer for the next time some dipshit asks me why I skate at 47 years old.

Banned from the room

« Reply #1715 on: October 12, 2023, 04:38:05 PM »
New board continues to serve me well. Shoes turned out to be what I needed. My feet feel way way better.

Pepper Galaxy Grip is as good as jessup so far. But I hate putting on grip with perforations. It's not right at all.

Shit looks dope af. I'd like more for sure. They might have a new steady buyer.
The way it looks is worth the lil holes.

Cops watch me skate all day not a peep. It's pretty sick. I think it's because I treat the locals with respect. All of them.

I got a couple grinds. Foot traffic was kinda much.
I moved onto the blacktop and went through it all. Blew some minds off in the distance with the imps. I can hear them walking along talking about how they used to skate.
My imp is strong af.

I don't care if the board is flying away if I see grip I snatch it from the air and slam it bolts on the ground. Every fuckin try all day at almost any speed.

I own that trick. I better. I've done millions I bet.

Worked on switch flips a little.
No joy. I cannot flip them straight. I'm going to bang my head cuz my 58mm wheels think I'm luan or some shit.

Also switch Ollie isn't great rn. It's definitely the dragons and all the switch non compliance to get up shit when I find myself cooking around accidental fakie.
Its really hard to just chill on these. Especially when there's 100+ people moving around you who are hypnoticly magnetic to get in your way.
Moths to a flame. Probably why the cops say nothing.

So I changed spots went and did chores and stopped at my 3 favorite barriers in between each labour.

Im almost at the top on one. Some weirdo went and touched the mark and went wow to his wife then stood there looking at me slapping my wheels on the ground. Good thing I got 3.

I wanna do barrier bash nose Manny 80 off the curb into traffic.

I got to the museum outside my house and the brick crosswalk curb was available. I hit that like 30x. My trick rn that feels best I'd long ass back 50 nollie front 80 out. Sometimes they go nose grinder.

If not trying it the upgrade is all icing.

Wind down with two tricks flat lines.

I do cabs every day. That's my best shit I got I think. Feels amazing. I like to nollie back 80 then cab immediately after. So fun. I'm glad I took the time to get them nice again.

That's the session.

Wish I had a good roll in Manny pad. Salem's park is wack af kinda. I haven't bothered to go in some time.

Out here is where it's at.

I'll be in Lynn this week. I'll be able to skate for like 3 hours between appointments

It's always Manny the giant island under the train station. Go back trick off into the intersection between lights. Go again.

So fun

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1716 on: October 13, 2023, 09:44:06 AM »
Got a new board that might be the same shape as my last one, if not, it's damn close.

its probably some standard DLX 8.5 x 14.25wb, but the last deck had me skating strong, gave me some of my best consistency.

Didn't realize how dead that wood was until I set this new one up. Shit was popping like crazy and i had to remind myself to keep up.

I'm in this mindset of needing to scratch the graphics off the nose and tail before scratching the center.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Ghostof941

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1717 on: October 13, 2023, 10:06:12 AM »
Broke out the leaf blower and skated in the shop smooth ass concrete. Got me thinking, why don't some way better skaters try the leaf blower push run up? It goes super fast and I got a sweet sweat smear on the ground trying fast big spins.

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1718 on: October 13, 2023, 10:14:37 AM »
My local has a big ass bank that goes straight into a long stretch of flat ground. It doesn't make a lot of sense from a design standpoint but yesterday the crew was all rolling in then trying to do flat ground tricks going as fast as possible which was kinda fun/entertaining.

I managed to do a pretty sad kickflip and a back 180 that felt good.

mfweeno

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1719 on: October 13, 2023, 12:29:42 PM »
I recently moved, and the new location is less than 5 minutes from a beautiful outdoor concrete park, which I'm very stoked on.

I've had some fun sessions getting used to the new layout in the mornings before work. Did a bunch of fakie lipslides to fakie on the flatbar this morning.

Board and shoes are completely toast, though. Duct-taped slip ons and a soggy hand-me-down deck make even simple tricks a challenge.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
« Reply #1720 on: October 13, 2023, 06:34:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Frankly, I couldn't have picked a better way to hurt myself.
[close]
This is a great answer for the next time some dipshit asks me why I skate at 47 years old.

yeah, I definitely mean it. None of us gonna live forever and I'll be damned if I save my back pain exclusively for reading too long in bed with my neck crooked.

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #1721 on: October 14, 2023, 05:43:42 AM »
I hit an old curb spot yesterday and started working on fs slappies. I almost have the unweight thing down when you mash into it. Didnt get sent flying, which is nice. One nollie 5050 but then I couldnt get close after. Working on grinding my slap bs crooked grinds further. Then tried some slap bs feebles. Those need work. It was a good time and the hour went quickly.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #1722 on: October 15, 2023, 02:55:53 PM »
Kickflipped up a curb and did a nollie noseslide on my favorite ledge in town then beat my chest like a Silverback gorilla
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Troubadour26

• Rep: 105
« Reply #1723 on: October 15, 2023, 03:01:10 PM »
Fun time skating in the shop parking lot with Day 1 homies today. Ran 7 miles before I came out today too

Weather was perfect here in North Carolina.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
« Reply #1724 on: October 15, 2023, 04:21:23 PM »
It was cold. Why does everything hurt more when it’s cold?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1725 on: October 15, 2023, 04:22:51 PM »
I set up a new board this afternoon, and it feels perfect. I might've just stumbled upon the best set up for me!

Phillyflared

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1726 on: October 15, 2023, 06:58:56 PM »
Late afternoon curb skate at a new spot I've started working in. It's in back of a building w/ long sections of red curbs. Got a few sections going pretty good over past few weekends.
Slappy's and some flatground before i started trying fakie 50's. Took me about 10 or tries but got a really good feeling one coming out switch 180.
Not bad for 49..

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1727 on: October 16, 2023, 09:35:34 AM »
Not really a skate sesh, but DIY build sesh

We have this really steep and tight drainage ditch spot that we built a pretty big QP on top of. Theres a wallie hip to dive into the ditch, or grind past the corner. Definitely gonna be a tough spot, but should open up a bit more flow if you can manage the bathtub shape of the ditch. Theres also a fucked "channel" gap from the natural ditch, step up to grind/lip the new pour.

Lot of good deck space, coping turned out solid, only problem is there's not much to roll away on - straight into surviving the crust.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1728 on: October 16, 2023, 02:46:08 PM »
Skated this small asphalt bank. Gotta start in a parking lot, rip a cross a side street, and jam up the bank on the side of a car wash. Pretty small and kinda rounded at top with a sewer grate dead center at bottom. Just popped a few olies and 180s. Primoed a few heels before pushing up the road to a tall granite block that’s nicely waxed but has some awful run up angles. The ground is ok, but it’s those massive concrete pavers, like 8x4, or something, so there are kinda monster cracks between em.

Whatever though. Its all a 5 minute, smooth skate from the new crib. Got spoiled with the easy access spots where I was last at.

Support your local skate shop

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 532
« Reply #1729 on: October 16, 2023, 03:10:17 PM »
Still trying to take any opportunity I can, even if it’s some quick flat while my daughter naps. Did all the shoves a couple times, a couple kickys, a 360 flip and a nollie flip.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #1730 on: October 22, 2023, 11:48:56 AM »
It was raining so I went to this half built covered warehouse.  Wasn’t in the mood for flatground.. but luckily, I’m Aerial Work Platform certified.. so I fired up the scissor lift, drove it into position to put a piece of plywood against, and had a little makeshift bank sesh. 

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #1731 on: October 24, 2023, 08:04:10 AM »
My best friend moved down to KC (about an hour away) and it’s forced me to go down there and skate the parks.

Sunday I went down at about 8am and we went to 3 different parks and skated for a good 5 hours. Landed a front board for the first time in a couple years and just felt generally good. I’ve been in a rut with skating recently and I think this is going to get me out of it.

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 16
  • fresh
« Reply #1732 on: October 24, 2023, 10:11:43 AM »
got to the park and saw over 40 people (smaller skatepark so thats a lot of people) i get out of my car and see my boys sittin on a curb just shooting the shit and warming up on flat so i joined them and they said that the reason so many people were there was that there was a scooter contest. while that sounds like the lamest thing ever but, it was actually so sick. we skated other parts of the park that were out of the way when the scooter boyz were gettin they shit on. i didnt do anything besides handrail tricks and flip tricks on a quarter pipe but it was just such a good day! was genuinely super sick nd everyone was stoked.
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

mythgrind

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1733 on: October 25, 2023, 08:06:44 AM »
Solo mission. Hopped a ferry out to Vashon island to go skate the newish pump track addition to the park out there. It’s typical Grindline goodness, super smooth with endless possibilities. Then back to the mainland for a sundown sesh with some homies. Drank a little Chardonnay while they cooked freshly caught razor clams at the park. Been laid up with a pinched sciatic nerve ever since, totally worth it.

OneMore

« Reply #1734 on: October 25, 2023, 11:32:38 AM »
Just got back from skating and have to get ready for work now. I had a good time despite some of my favorite tricks/go-to's feeling unreliable, or outright unlandable for the majority of the session. How do you all deal with days where things just aren't working?

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #1735 on: October 25, 2023, 08:14:54 PM »
Just got back from skating and have to get ready for work now. I had a good time despite some of my favorite tricks/go-to's feeling unreliable, or outright unlandable for the majority of the session. How do you all deal with days where things just aren't working?

I just start trying tricks that I cannot do.  You never know when something is going to click.  I've learned quite a few tricks like this.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1736 on: October 29, 2023, 01:10:59 AM »
First real cold sesh of the fall/winter season. Dry park, mid sesh, but I felt the changes and aches in my joints.

Got a bluntslide on a bank-to-log. Nosepicks been getting easier.

The fakie huck thread got me stoked on fakie flips again

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #1737 on: October 31, 2023, 12:36:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just start trying tricks that I cannot do.  You never know when something is going to click.  I've learned quite a few tricks like this.

I'm old and got caught with a cheap shot at hockey over the weekend but the weather was nice so today had a mini solo session over lunch. Leg was still sore/dead from and nothing felt right. So I just rolled around, did ollies up the small ledge and worked on manuals. Sometimes I'm sure the above is good, I.e try stuff as your go-tos ain't happening...but sometimes just go super basic and focus on your pop and balance without the pressure of anything you know you should have. Either way take out of it what you can and know the next session is a clean slate.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 465
« Reply #1738 on: October 31, 2023, 03:04:39 PM »
Finally checked out the Harewood skatepark in Nanaimo last Saturday. The bowl was way bigger in person than it looked online. Dropped into the shallow end and carved around a bit. Did some janky ledge tricks and got a couple front noses on this round out rail off a curb thing I was pretty satisfied with. Fun quick little session.

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #1739 on: October 31, 2023, 03:52:02 PM »
Me and the boys finally got done with our first uni project of the year so we went for a skate. We hadn't gone skating in fucking ages man. Pretty much all of us were lacking tricks but we got em back.
I haven't properly sessioned in a while, but it was a lot of fun and just really nice to fuck around on a flatbar, have the worst game of SKATE of all time and so on.
Shit i love the useless wooden toy.