Author Topic: cyprus  (Read 824 times)

depresseddingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
cyprus
« on: January 27, 2021, 05:56:58 AM »
I'm going to spend some time in cyprus this summer. The ditches over there look amazing but I am struggling to find spots online. Has anybody been skating there?
Any advice would be appreciated.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Re: cyprus
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 01:36:43 AM »
Last time I went was in 2010 and I took my board, although I didn't skate all of these spots as I was out with family (par the fountain one in Protaras which I got to skate). I wouldn't bother with the parks as the recent ones don't look up to par. Cyprus seems to have a lot of untapped spots around whenever I've seen locals do edits, although I guess it's better than it being blown out like Barca. Anyways;

Outside Larnaca Municipal Art Gallery there's a a cool fountain spot, you can pop down and skate the ledges inside or outside. Right next to it there's a little statue that has a manny/tiny ledge combo that looks pretty fun. There's lots of flatground and the spot looks pretty cool at night.

There's a rad plaza spot that seems to be one of the 'main' spots people visit when they do trips to Cyprus that's in Nicosia. As me and a few friends were meant to go two years ago I finally found out where this was by scouring Google Maps ahah. This is right next to a church called Panagia Palouriotissa. This has tons of ledges here.

There's a cool hip pyramid type setup in Ayia Napa, right next to the Thalassa museum. Although the surface doesn't seem to be amazing. I wouldn't check this out if you're in the party central times although, with COVID being around that's probably not even a worry..

On the main road next to Capo Bay in Protaras there's the fountain ledge that's been seen in a lot of footy over the years, that's pretty fun to skate. They kind of curve around.

I remember seeing some cool bits down Ayia Napa Harbour that seemed skated, lots of little steps and ledges...I saw some Israeli guys if I'm right, skating these. I cannot pin point it nor find them on Google Maps when I last looked. Possibly been changed in the past ten years? I dunno.

There are a row of these businesses that have a driveway type gap, there's one constantly skated in edits but I cannot find that one at all. It's on the main road on the way into Larnaca if I'm not mistaken.

That's all I can think of on top of my head. Take a look at some edits because there's lots of cool hits within the streets there as well.

I hope to get back out there at some point.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 01:44:43 AM »
Oh and IIRC there are some ledges and other bits down towards Paphos Harbour, all looked skated. I forgot to add there's a Zoo that's been in a lot of footage, with these planter type little quarters/kickers. I have no clue where this one is, but it's in a lot of footy.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

carlosthelizard

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 01:45:12 AM »
I'm going to spend some time in cyprus this summer. The ditches over there look amazing but I am struggling to find spots online. Has anybody been skating there?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Previous post covers lots of spots and for sure you will run into other skaters at those places.

I have a couple groups of friends living down their that rip.  Let me know if you are interested in meeting up with some locals for le tour de spots.

Pretty much lots of Plazas (with mostly marble or granite ledges) and a few Ditches (nothing as smooth and nice as Cali but still fun).

Cheers.

depresseddingo

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 03:47:41 AM »
Awesome guys, appreciate it.
And meeting some locals would be sick, definitely gonna hit you up when I am down there, thank you!

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 02:00:44 AM »
Hijacking this thread rather than making a new one...

I'm out in Ayia Napa for a week from the 9-16th, hoping to get a session or two in during my stay. Not really a skate trip, but it'll be cool to have a roll whilst I'm there.

Hitting up the plaza spot in Nicosia, definitely.

If anyone's about give me a shout.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 09:08:50 AM »
I was in cyprus just 2 weeks ago. When you‘re in agia napa think about visiting varosha in northern cyprus.

It‘s a ghost town, left since 1974.

The northern cyprus army blocked it off, 40.000 people lived there.

It was a millitary no-go zone people who went there got arrestet until it was opend for the public in 2021 

It‘s a completly out  of historic context there are no explanations or info materials once you are there and it get‘s treatet like a tourist attraction -keep in mind what happens there years ago. Yet it‘s worth to see it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varosha,_Famagusta

http://youtu.be/vdkQWgZLrYA?si=EFj6Axv2-1VgCbnq

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2023, 03:17:52 AM »
I was in cyprus just 2 weeks ago. When you‘re in agia napa think about visiting varosha in northern cyprus.

It‘s a ghost town, left since 1974.

The northern cyprus army blocked it off, 40.000 people lived there.

It was a millitary no-go zone people who went there got arrestet until it was opend for the public in 2021 

It‘s a completly out  of historic context there are no explanations or info materials once you are there and it get‘s treatet like a tourist attraction -keep in mind what happens there years ago. Yet it‘s worth to see it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varosha,_Famagusta

http://youtu.be/vdkQWgZLrYA?si=EFj6Axv2-1VgCbnq

Safe, mate! I've actually booked a trip to go to Famagusta and Varosha. (Was hoping more of a trip on our own without a guide, but it proved to be fairly difficult and I know I can't take the hired car over as simple as I thought).

Be cool to return, since I visited back in 2010 and I now know the town of Varosha has been 'opened up', which means hopefully being able to see these buildings close up.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2023, 12:39:27 PM »
Nah… you can take your car to north pretty easy.
You just have buy an extended insurance. you can buy that directly at the turkish border and it costs you 20 euros.

No need
For a guide, i drove to famagusta with my wife and my two kids (2 and 5 years…)

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2023, 04:37:10 AM »
Nah… you can take your car to north pretty easy.
You just have buy an extended insurance. you can buy that directly at the turkish border and it costs you 20 euros.

No need
For a guide, i drove to famagusta with my wife and my two kids (2 and 5 years…)

Ah we were explicitly told 'not to take the car into the illegally occupied Northern Cyprus' by the hire company on the day of pickup and I didn't want no drama trying it on haha. It didn't really matter as we had the trip out there anyways and got to see a lot more of Famagusta and the streets of Varosha than the last time I went.

Thoroughly enjoyed my skate over at the plaza in Nicosia despite the sycamore pods being ever so present and had a lot of damn good food.

I definitely preferred going out at the time we did, than in the summer (not so much for the weather, but more so the amount of other Bri'ish tourists).

Winci

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2024, 11:58:35 PM »
We did a Cyprus skate trip last spring time, it’s an amazing island with tons of spots!
Nicosia plaza is a must do, Paphos has a couple of good ones too. There’s also a school in Limassol that people skate a lot, try and get a local to take you in there.

Full edit can be seen here:
https://youtu.be/RbwcadfHhRQ?si=uQ1_DOFSaiFXi9Ir

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 07:49:51 AM »
We did a Cyprus skate trip last spring time, it’s an amazing island with tons of spots!
Nicosia plaza is a must do, Paphos has a couple of good ones too. There’s also a school in Limassol that people skate a lot, try and get a local to take you in there.

Full edit can be seen here:
https://youtu.be/RbwcadfHhRQ?si=uQ1_DOFSaiFXi9Ir

Enjoyed that!

I wish I could've skated the plaza spot with a crew, par the helicopters being all over the floor I had a good skate there.