Author Topic: Who has used fake Bones Swiss bearings before?  (Read 5845 times)

chrisskates808

Who has used fake Bones Swiss bearings before?
« on: February 02, 2021, 11:51:08 PM »
If you have used a fake pair, how were they? And how did you get tricked thinking they were authentic?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Who has used fake Bones Swiss bearings before?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 08:06:03 AM »
If you have used a fake pair, how were they? And how did you get tricked thinking they were authentic?

Some kids I know bought some from ebay but were wondering why they were slow and not working like Bones Swiss bearings should.

They still had the box and I tracked where they bought them from and sure enough, there were a few simple signs (box was imperfectly copied) bearings had differences between the fakes and real ones I had, as well as the ride, and yes they might have seemed ok at first, they got slow fast.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 08:10:06 AM »
This might help too (not me, but looks about right):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEGPCAOjB1e/

Pete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 735
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 08:16:58 AM »
bones swiss is probably the most successfully marketed skate related product ever. yeah theyre alright but that shits in your head player, reds will perform the same if you pop the shields. that being said just go behind the counter at zumiez and take the whole stack of swiss nobody there will notice.

unrelated but dont they make a new bearing called BIG BALLS or something, pretty dope name. also unrelated do they still sell those bullshit bones swiss ceramic shits? i remember seeing them years ago coated in dust at a shop for like like $120 who the hell is paying that much for bearings thats fucked

free max b
FREE MAX B

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 08:17:08 AM »
god damn those look really good for fake. no clue if mine are fake or not now :( lol the one thing that does sort of stand out to me is that spacer in the middle im pretty sure mine looks legit and have always looked like that + thicker

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 08:18:33 AM »
I got duped by some on Amazon a while ago and they were pretty horrible. I thought I bent an axle or something before I realized I got got. Didn’t really know there were counterfeits out there

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 08:22:43 AM »
bones swiss is probably the most successfully marketed skate related product ever. yeah theyre alright but that shits in your head player, reds will perform the same if you pop the shields. that being said just go behind the counter at zumiez and take the whole stack of swiss nobody there will notice.

unrelated but dont they make a new bearing called BIG BALLS or something, pretty dope name. also unrelated do they still sell those bullshit bones swiss ceramic shits? i remember seeing them years ago coated in dust at a shop for like like $120 who the hell is paying that much for bearings thats fucked

free max b

nah bro i have 2 setups both with bones wheels the exact same size and its night and day how mcuh better the Swiss turns. every time someone steps on my board they are like holy shit this thing GOES buddy. 56mm bones with swiss you can def tell the difference.

you need big wheels to get the most out of them otherwise you just dont get enough momentum going unless you are flying

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 09:07:57 AM »
This is a crime against humanity. When I was a young lad and poor (I'm just older and poor now), I always wanted some. My first taste was a used set my friend gave me, and even used, they were awesome. I really enjoy telling my wife when I am buying them because she always says "$60 for bearings?!?!?!" and then I can remind her that she "doesn't even time code - you wouldn't understand".

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 09:23:10 AM »

free max b
Reds are really good but if you properly take care of Swiss you can have them forever. I used to always get them and I wouldn't do any maintenance and they would last 5-6 years before getting slow.

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 11:00:49 AM »
If you're not riding Swiss bearings you're a sucker. $60 makes you go faster, can't beat that. Amazon is awash in fake Swiss. I'm by no means a hardcore support-your-local guy, but just get the real ones from a real shop. There are almost never deals on them because they're basically the gold standard. I did get 3 or 4 sets a decade ago from a roller skate shop or something for cheap, but that rarely happens.

roastbeef

• Rep: -47
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 11:29:03 AM »

No way. I have multiple setups with different bearings. Swiss outperform them. The require way less cleaning, and stay fast and smooth a lot long. Reds have locked up on me, and taking off the shields doesnt do anything except make the less smooth. I have had the same swiss bearings for probably 5 or 6 years now and they are still in damn good shape.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 11:42:55 AM »
Side note: has anyone tried the Bronson ceramics? They’re pretty close in price to regular Swiss. I know lots of people aren’t fans of Bronsons here, but if you can get a ceramic bearing that performs just as well as Swiss, for around the same price, then it would be worth it to me. And they come with a cleaning case, extra shields and washers. And no chance of getting fake ones. 

With that being said, I really love my Swiss. Worth every penny

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 11:55:57 AM »
I know Ali Express has fake formula fours for like 20$
 Dont know anyone whos tried em though

chrisskates808

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 12:00:22 PM »

wtf fake spitfire wheels?!  never buying shit on ali express

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 735
  • Free Max B
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 12:07:19 PM »
fuck it ill skate some rep spitfires. throw some rep moma airforce ones in there too for $25

free max b
FREE MAX B

drewdown

• Rep: -30
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 01:29:38 PM »
Back in the nineties nothing better than bones swiss bearings.  No idea what is good now but didn't have to worry about fakes back then either.   Good old days. 

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 01:36:04 PM »

those fakes look so legit. even better than the originals

chrisskates808

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 01:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If those x and check weren’t there, I couldn’t tel the which is real or fake.

those fakes look so legit. even better than the originals

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 04:22:40 PM »

From 2017, but really they just hit the roof in 2020 with the shortages.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbvN9MRhdWX/

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 06:50:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a collection of fakes out of morbid curiosity for counterfeit skate stuff. The graphics, wheels dimensions and colors are off, though they are catching up and going with colored / unwashed variants to make it less obvious.

In terms of performance, they are round and roll, that's the best thing I can say about them. They are VERY sticky on all surfaces, including waxed ledges, so prepare to get pitched forward. Powerslides are a no go too.

Not forgetting other fakes like:
Baker, Girl, Chocolate, Toy Machine, Flip Decks
Independent, Venture Trucks
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 06:57:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have a collection of fakes out of morbid curiosity for counterfeit skate stuff. The graphics, wheels dimensions and colors are off, though they are catching up and going with colored / unwashed variants to make it less obvious.

In terms of performance, they are round and roll, that's the best thing I can say about them. They are VERY sticky on all surfaces, including waxed ledges, so prepare to get pitched forward. Powerslides are a no go too.

Not forgetting other fakes like:
Baker, Girl, Chocolate, Toy Machine, Flip Decks
Independent, Venture Trucks

Time to start that "Help identify fake product" thread maybe???

At least if you start it you can always edit and add more to your first post.

No pressure!  :)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 07:07:19 PM »
I bought some fakes and guess what? They sucked. Why would someone making selling fake bearings make them good? It was 8 Grade-Z bearings that probably cost $.50 wholesale, sold online for $25. You are *much* better off buying an authentic $25 bearing like Reds

Obviously some people will fake it, but look out for "Swiss" bearings that don't read "Made In Switzerland" on the package. One good way to get busted in customs is for an agent to open a crate from Szechuan and find a bunch of bearings claiming to be manufactured in another country, so a lot of the eBay and Amazon fakes just omit that wording from their packaging

But yeah, honestly you really can only buy Swiss from an authorized Bones Swiss dealer. If they're not on the list, they're either selling some weird grey-market shit (unlikely, but possible) or outright fakes (99.999% of the time)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 07:14:13 PM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 10:24:30 PM »
I almost forgot about this too (also not me but helpful):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBQDMXOF45q/

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2021, 11:38:11 PM »
I found a set for $20 on Mercari a long time ago and chanced it. Definitely got fakes. They worked decent for a week then started locking up on me. My homie got a set of authentic ones from our local though and the same shit happened to his so I guess QC is hit and miss with the real stuff too

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2021, 07:55:26 AM »
If y’all got fakes and don’t want ‘em hell I’ll take ‘em. I figure even if they aren’t real Swiss they have to at least be as good as like a set of Mini Logo bearings or Spitfire cheapshots.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2021, 07:59:31 AM »
I bought fake Reds off eBay once. They looked almost identical to the real deal. They sucked.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Cash bandicoot

• Rep: 4
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2021, 08:36:55 AM »

free max b

I snatched literally 6 sets of bronson g2s like 4 years ago at the willowbrook mall while all fucked up on xanax and dope. I just switched out my last pair for some big balls. Bronsons get slow so fast and break easy as shit, never again.
a venn diagram showing the intersection of mediocre, garbage, and even-toed ungulates

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2021, 09:11:04 AM »
Oh sorry I thought this is the useless wooden toy banter. Must have clicked on shoes and gear by mistake. My bad

Shalom
9/11 was a national tragedy

Petes friend Slimer

• Rep: -27
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2021, 10:36:17 AM »
Ben Degros just poted a video on this if anyone's interested.

Like most Candians...he's a nice guy.
#freedrewSTEADMAN