Author Topic: Rule Idea: Lock/delete threads about obvious mental health episodes  (Read 1003 times)

CossRooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube

Hey Admins/Mods,

I am not sure if this has been brought up before so i figured i'd post it up.

Have you ever considered guidelines about threads that are started about an individual that is clearly undergoing some sort of manic/schizophrenic break? Like, clearly in a position where their mental health is in demonstrably/medically dire circumstances?

This has happened a few times over the years and every time I'm a little bit embarrassed of this forum. Some stints of Billy Rohans NYC tenure and more recently, the DoublesLTD thread are both examples that come to mind. In both cases, the individual is clearly undergoing some sort of traumatic episode and not in control of their emotional state or actions, broadcasting literal gobbedigook nonsense on to the web and probably well on their way to upending their personal lives and housing situation. This shit should not be "news" or "entertainment" for us neckbeards. Nobody deserves the episode in the first place, and they DEFINITELY don't deserve a bunch of internet people recording their every action.

In my opinion, these threads should be locked with a stated reason.

I am all for having a little fun around entitled, delusional, etc pros and industry figures, but I think you can draw a clear line in some of these cases. There is a difference between making fun of someone because of their skate industry conduct or shitty personality, and making fun of someone because their brain is glitching out.

admin

• Administrator
  • Rep: 889
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Rule Idea: Lock/delete threads about obvious mental health episodes
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 08:22:12 AM »

While I have no problem with this idea, I would not want to be the arbiter of deciding if someone is having a mental breakdown or not. I feel that could be just as detrimental if someone is of sound mind and expressing their opinion, to then be called out as having a "obvious break down". This is due to the fact that I do not suffer from these conditions so I do not feel comfortable putting my opinion in on things I do not have familiarity with. I will wait for others opinions though.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 10:01:36 AM »

Good points all around. I have certainly seen a few of these threads that seemed in poor taste but I can also see how a formal rule could be used as precedent for ulterior motives.

Ultimately I think the most fair solution is to deal with them on a case-by-case basis and for the minute it seems like we have the capacity to do that.

If you see any threads in particular that you are concerned about @CossRooper  I would encourage you (or anyone) to blow the whistle, even just to bring it to the attention of the mods/admins. From there it's down to their discretion, but they're reasonable people.

That's just my two cents anyway. Regardless, thanks for bringing this up. It's an empathetic point.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 07:58:23 AM »

Thanks for the replies dudes. Appreciate it.

I would not want to be the arbiter of deciding if someone is having a mental breakdown or not. I feel that could be just as detrimental if someone is of sound mind and expressing their opinion, to then be called out as having a "obvious break down". This is due to the fact that I do not suffer from these conditions so I do not feel comfortable putting my opinion in on things I do not have familiarity with.

I don't suffer from the either and I'm also not an expert, so I see what you mean. I guess there are some other cases (TK, maybe Bam, etc) where dudes are a going a little crazy but it's muddy as to what degree they are having a bad couple of weeks versus actually having some sort of mental health episode. Others are much, much more clear.

I guess more what I was looking for was, rather than admins/mods dealing with them themselves and having to be the judge, just an openness to this discussion where if a legitimate point was brought up, they might be open to take action with a lock/delete. Which is what GKR is getting to here:

Ultimately I think the most fair solution is to deal with them on a case-by-case basis and for the minute it seems like we have the capacity to do that.

If you see any threads in particular that you are concerned about @CossRooper  I would encourage you (or anyone) to blow the whistle, even just to bring it to the attention of the mods/admins. From there it's down to their discretion, but they're reasonable people.

I think this is the right approach actually. i don't know why I didn't think of this before, i know the mods are reasonable so if this comes up again I will definitely report and/or try and start a discussion in private. I agree that case-by-case is completely doable.

It's actually not that common, maybe a thread or two a year, but when it does happen it's sort of ugly. And as you know, even posters with good intentions, posts of support, or posts wondering why it is a topic, still end up bumping the thread which keeps the person at the center of attention.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 10:37:58 PM »

Unrelated,  give the mods major respect for locking the Ben Raybourn thread

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 11:04:53 AM »

Unrelated,  give the mods major respect for locking the Ben Raybourn thread

Actually quite related, I agree with you bigtime. That was another sorta lame thread that I'm glad they locked, once it was clear kinda what the situation was. That was sick.