Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 37381 times)

blahblah999

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #360 on: March 15, 2023, 08:52:21 AM »

I have a wide metatarsal area. Narrow arch, the mid foot area where the eyelets are is what I was referencing.

A wide foot can mean different strokes for different folks.

Right. Everyone's feet are a little different. Another reason why it's good to have choices in the market. The areas where I have the most trouble are across the instep and the outer edge of the shoe near the small toe. Heel slip can also be a problem with some shoes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 12:29:47 PM by blahblah999 »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #361 on: March 15, 2023, 04:22:58 PM »
Expand Quote

I have a wide metatarsal area. Narrow arch, the mid foot area where the eyelets are is what I was referencing.

A wide foot can mean different strokes for different folks.
[close]

Right. Everyone's feet are a little different. Another reason why it's good to have choices in the market. The areas where I have the most trouble are across the instep and the outer edge of the shoe near the small toe. Heel slip can also be a problem with some shoes.

heelslip is my enemy. i have the slimmest heels, but the fattest toes. not a good combo.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #362 on: March 15, 2023, 05:22:13 PM »
Yo I’m hearing a lot of what people don’t like.
What is good tho?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #363 on: March 15, 2023, 06:42:04 PM »
What is good tho?

Haters gonna hate, but the Nyjah 3...wide enough for me, super grippy, no heel slip (has runner eyelets to lock down), comfy, light, breathable.

Tyshawns, KSL G6, Fastbreaks seem to be high up for everyone.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 06:49:13 PM by Xen »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #364 on: March 15, 2023, 09:57:22 PM »
Expand Quote
What is good tho?
[close]

Haters gonna hate, but the Nyjah 3...wide enough for me, super grippy, no heel slip (has runner eyelets to lock down), comfy, light, breathable.

Tyshawns, KSL G6, Fastbreaks seem to be high up for everyone.

Thank you!

blahblah999

« Reply #365 on: March 16, 2023, 08:57:29 AM »
There are some interesting ideas in the construction of that Nyjah shoe. If I didn't have such a hard time getting a decent fit with Nikes, I'd give them a shot or at least try them on. I doubt they will fit me though. Every other Nike I've tried was a no-go for me, even Dunks.

Had some store credit from returned shoes so I'm giving the 'eS Penny 2s a shot. After that I will probably be set for awhile.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #366 on: March 16, 2023, 09:43:22 AM »
If anything, it’s worth finding them just to try on that’s what I do, just go into whatever store that’s got the most selection of shoes (sadly for me, that means stepping into zoomies) and just sit around and try them all on…. The Nigel 3 fits very differently than other Nike I’ve tried and I’ve tried/owned quite a few.

It’s a completely different fit than say, force 58 or GTs/Bruins as it’s definitely more of a runner type/athletic shoe (of which I have a few) I’ve worked out in them to break them in (not that they need it) and they work just fine (I’ve seen two other people in my gym using them), there is a lot of give with the upper materials; oddly, I’ve also received a few non skater comments on them.

It’s been raining since I got them so I have not skated them so I can’t comment on that functionality.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 09:52:16 AM by Xen »

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #367 on: March 16, 2023, 12:16:46 PM »
There are some interesting ideas in the construction of that Nyjah shoe. If I didn't have such a hard time getting a decent fit with Nikes, I'd give them a shot or at least try them on. I doubt they will fit me though. Every other Nike I've tried was a no-go for me, even Dunks.

Had some store credit from returned shoes so I'm giving the 'eS Penny 2s a shot. After that I will probably be set for awhile.

let me know how the penny 2s are. if they ever go on sale i might consider grabbing a pair

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #368 on: March 16, 2023, 04:53:15 PM »
The new zahba shoe from vans is legit

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #369 on: March 16, 2023, 05:26:35 PM »
The new zahba shoe from vans is legit

How’s the fit?

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #370 on: March 16, 2023, 07:15:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

let me know how the penny 2s are. if they ever go on sale i might consider grabbing a pair
Keep us posted for sure, and let us know about sizing. I had a pair of accel og that ran way too small. the toe on the penny2s looks way better than the accel and I’ll most likely grab a pair

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #371 on: March 16, 2023, 10:45:40 PM »
Anyone know if the Jordan 4 is any good?

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #372 on: March 17, 2023, 01:10:04 AM »
First session today with the westgate 508. Very won over by new balance (my second pair, I had the 440 but only for walking every day), Not as horrible as some said, it's still a cupsole despite everything! Very good shoe, sole a little hard on the other hand but good cushioning !

elegant_fox

« Reply #373 on: March 17, 2023, 06:29:03 AM »
I got the NBA color way Ishods on sale and they’ve been skating really well for me. They’re like a slimmed down dunk, or at least they feel like it when I look down at my feet. I’m enjoying it having such a bulky sole while still having good impact protection.

The react insoles are also pretty great, they ought to put them in more of their lineup. It makes going back to GT lows feel literally painful.

blahblah999

« Reply #374 on: March 17, 2023, 03:31:59 PM »

Keep us posted for sure, and let us know about sizing. I had a pair of accel og that ran way too small. the toe on the penny2s looks way better than the accel and I’ll most likely grab a pair

I'll definitely comment on the construction and sizing once they arrive. They'll be my first 'eS shoes since the late 90s so my expectations are fairly high, especially given the price. If they don't fit or feel comfortable I'll return them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #375 on: March 20, 2023, 07:55:21 PM »
So I was able to finally skate the Nigel3 (no impact but running out of shit); comfy and grippy, flick was fine and I'll be damned if it isn't the most breezy fucking shoe I've ever worn...seriously, if it's windy, even breezy and it hits you just right you can feel it move through the shoe, crazy; gonna be a perfect summer/hot weather shoe.

GoldenGateHeights

• Rep: 16
« Reply #376 on: March 20, 2023, 09:26:33 PM »
I've had to take 6-9 months off from skating for a variety of foot issues that all felt like happening in quick succession (bursitis, intractable plantar keratosis, and ended it all with a god damn abscess) and as a result have a very, very weak ball of my back foot.

What's the consensus on the best cup with ball of foot cushioning / support? Likely going to give the 1010's a try but figured I'd ask in here before biting the bullet.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #377 on: March 20, 2023, 10:19:37 PM »
1010/808 for sure.

blahblah999

« Reply #378 on: March 21, 2023, 09:04:04 AM »
The 1010s are a very good shoe if you can get a good fit on them. I wish they worked for me, but they didn't.

Like any skate shoe with a real midsole, the midsole cushioning does thin out toward the front of the shoe. I can tell you the stock insoles are very thin, so if you're using an aftermarket orthotic or insole, you want to make sure it fits the shoe and doesn't cause your foot to get crammed.

TBH, you may want to talk to your podiatrist or orthopedic doctor about going to PT, or doing PT type exercises at home - if you haven't already.

blahblah999

Re: Old Man Skate Shoes (Cont'd)
« Reply #379 on: March 21, 2023, 10:47:47 AM »
'eS Penny 2 reissues showed up today. I missed out on this shoe because I had stepped away from skateboarding in the early 2000s when it was originally released. I had several pairs of 'eS shoes during the 90s though and generally liked them.

The materials and construction of the upper appear better than average quality compared to what you get these days. The upper is suede and there is decent thickness in the toe and ollie area. The suede is quite flexible which surprised me. The upper is not stiff in the toe like some shoes made of nubuck or synthetic materials. The parts that matter are triple and double stitched, though there are a lot more seams in the toe area compared to newer skate shoes. This does not bother me because I was never the type of person to completely shred my uppers. With most decently made shoes, I would wear out the sole first and the upper would only have some ripped stitches and a small hole.

In terms of fit I would call these wider than most skate shoes today. There is plenty of width and volume throughout the whole shoe IMHO. Even with the very thick, puffy tongue, there is enough room across the forefoot and toe area. Length seems TTS. Heel lock is good when the shoes are laced to the top and the laces are tightened properly. There is some decent padding around the ankle.

The shoes feel generally okay with the thin stock insoles but they don't provide enough arch support for me. I tried some 3.5mm FP orthotics and they fit in the shoe fine without cramming my feet. I'm not sure if I could get a 5mm FP in there or not. The 3.5mm should be sufficient for these shoes because there is some decent midsole cushioning. If you have a narrow foot, these shoes are probably not for you.

Overall, I would say the shoes are nice. One thing I didn't like were the extra long laces. They are too long for me and wouldn't work for skating. I can easily replace those but I'm mildly disappointed that a $110 pair of shoes in a fancy box did not come with an extra set of laces. There were also some loose threads under the insoles that didn't look great. Again, for the price I would expect this stuff to be cleaned up before the shoes get boxed up and shipped out for retail.

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #380 on: March 21, 2023, 01:55:52 PM »
Any news on the last resort cups?
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #381 on: March 21, 2023, 02:00:03 PM »
Any news on the last resort cups?

0:40 he says next drop but there might be a delay as there are some QC issues.

Side note, this dude has to be responsible for a good portion of sales. Pontus got a lot of juice out of a guy just for giving out free shoes.

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2023, 08:36:17 AM »
The shoes feel generally okay with the thin stock insoles but they don't provide enough arch support for me. I tried some 3.5mm FP orthotics and they fit in the shoe fine without cramming my feet. I'm not sure if I could get a 5mm FP in there or not. The 3.5mm should be sufficient for these shoes because there is some decent midsole cushioning. If you have a narrow foot, these shoes are probably not for you.

once you break in the midsole the eva in it molds to your foot shape and gives a lot more support than once you first get them. stoked that you liked everything else about them tho

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #383 on: March 24, 2023, 11:52:48 PM »
After wearing the Emerica Gammas for couple weeks (not skating them), the collar started to feel kinda floppy around my ankles because they're so wide. I like how roomy the shoe is elsewhere and the sole feels quite supportive, but the the fact they don't feel secure around my ankles is not helping. I tried lacing them all the way up but they're still too wide. Maybe I'm going to get the KSL shoes next. Any idea if they're similar on sizing? I'm good with Us9 in Gammas, I have medium arch height and my left foot is a tad longer and thus left foot shoe feel snuggier at first.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 04:03:45 AM by pops »

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #384 on: March 25, 2023, 06:35:54 AM »
The 1010s are a very good shoe if you can get a good fit on them. I wish they worked for me, but they didn't.

Like any skate shoe with a real midsole, the midsole cushioning does thin out toward the front of the shoe. I can tell you the stock insoles are very thin, so if you're using an aftermarket orthotic or insole, you want to make sure it fits the shoe and doesn't cause your foot to get crammed.

TBH, you may want to talk to your podiatrist or orthopedic doctor about going to PT, or doing PT type exercises at home - if you haven't already.

The heel to toe drop looks insane from that view

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #385 on: March 25, 2023, 07:13:48 AM »

It is way too much.  No wonder I had intense knee pain from the 1010s. 

blahblah999

« Reply #386 on: March 25, 2023, 02:08:11 PM »

once you break in the midsole the eva in it molds to your foot shape and gives a lot more support than once you first get them. stoked that you liked everything else about them tho

Fair. I'm so used to orthotics at this point though that I'll probably stick with FP or Superfeet for these shoes.

blahblah999

« Reply #387 on: March 25, 2023, 02:10:01 PM »

Some other brands will have just as much or more, unless they are truly flat shoes with a flat insole and flat midsole. A pair of Vans has no midsole, but the insole acts like one and has a 12mm heel to 3mm forefoot.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 63
« Reply #388 on: March 26, 2023, 10:04:57 AM »
It’s time to give up on these size 13 Tyshawn’s. The impact protection is great, but they’re too tight (even after four months). Guess I’ll move to size 14 😖

Options are so limited when you’re a bigger guy.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #389 on: March 26, 2023, 05:41:06 PM »
It’s time to give up on these size 13 Tyshawn’s. The impact protection is great, but they’re too tight (even after four months). Guess I’ll move to size 14 😖

Options are so limited when you’re a bigger guy.

Half size it?  I usually run a 10 but the for the ty I went 10.5, great fit.