Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 37918 times)

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 109
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #540 on: April 17, 2024, 06:15:58 AM »
Hey,

I'm looking for any recommendations on these skate shoe options: Etnies Joslin, New Balance #1010, and Vans Rowan 2.
I've been skating in New Balance #1010s for almost a 3 years (not the same pair of course) and wanted to know if they are superior to the other options. Has anyone tried these shoes and can share their opinions on how they compare?

Thanks

1010s were too thick for me with regard to boardfeel but the Rowan 2 is a nice cupsole with good boardfeel. Haven't touched Etnies in many years.

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #541 on: April 17, 2024, 06:21:51 AM »
I am really liking the ASICS Japan S
doesn't feel bulky at all on the bottom but really protects your feet. i was skating really well in them not broken in at all fresh out the box. felt a tiny bit stiff but i imagine they ease up over time.
very nice on the top of your foot, material is very soft and comfortable

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #542 on: April 17, 2024, 06:24:00 AM »
Hey,

I'm looking for any recommendations on these skate shoe options: Etnies Joslin, New Balance #1010, and Vans Rowan 2.
I've been skating in New Balance #1010s for almost a 3 years (not the same pair of course) and wanted to know if they are superior to the other options. Has anyone tried these shoes and can share their opinions on how they compare?

Thanks

From these 3 models only the Joslin fit my feet well. The 1010 could have worked too but I didn't wanted to try to break them in when I knew that other shoes work better right out of the box. Most of Vans don't fit my feet. So I can only realistically speak about the Joslin shoe and my experience. Others might say different things about this shoe. It takes a bit of walking around to get a feel for them, then 2 good sessions and they feel very nicely broken in. I ride Jessup grip and haven't managed to get a hole in the Michelin sole, the upper always goes first, which also takes a long time. Impact and primo protection is hella good in them and something about the toe shape works well for flips. I found them with the stock insole a bit too much so I switched to a thinner insole but still get all the protection I wanted.
IG: @flowterspace

rikki

• Rep: 285
« Reply #543 on: April 17, 2024, 06:33:04 AM »
Hey,

Thanks

Don't know about the Rowan 2, but in my experience pretty much any NB# cupsole outshines the Joslin. My first NB shoe right after Joslins was the 440 and it felt like a revelation with regards to comfort and boardfeel. After that I've skated only NB# shoes (several models) and all of them have outperformed the Joslin in my opinion. That said, I haven't tried the 1010 but I'd be hella surprised if they were worse than the Joslin.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1396
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #544 on: April 17, 2024, 11:11:08 AM »
Ive tried some other cupsoles and the 1010 are the perfect shoe for me. I dont have a crazy flip trick game, but im not noticing anything detrimental to  a lack of board feel. Sure, it doesnt feel like im barefoot in half cabs or blazers, but if anything i have gained board control with the support. Im skating far longer with hip/lumbar pain as well.

Also, i feel like the break in time is minimal, no different than any other shoe
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #545 on: April 23, 2024, 04:11:46 PM »
Anyone skating fast breaks can confirm that they are sketch as fuxk for weak ankle bros cuz I have accidentally almost rolled my ankle twice just walking on some fucked up pavement. They hella cushy tho, I’m just feeling like the ankle roll potential is high with these ones

CarcassToss

• Rep: 24
« Reply #546 on: April 23, 2024, 09:12:59 PM »
I've had a lot of Fastbreaks after someone on here posted that you could find them at outlets as I only have 1 local shop and they don't carry many shoes. I use FP insoles in them and haven't had ankle problems, but they aren't the most durable. I don't think Cons is the brand you skate if you want stability and technical shoes, but they were fine for me. The AS-1 were not as durable as I hoped they would be.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #547 on: April 24, 2024, 05:21:13 AM »
Anyone skating fast breaks can confirm that they are sketch as fuxk for weak ankle bros cuz I have accidentally almost rolled my ankle twice just walking on some fucked up pavement. They hella cushy tho, I’m just feeling like the ankle roll potential is high with these ones

Just here to reiterate this. I'd be skating in a brace if you wanna rock fastbreaks and have weak ankles. They are a far cry from being a stable shoe. If they reinforced the feel cup and it wasn't so squishy I'd buy them more.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #548 on: April 24, 2024, 10:56:45 AM »
I've a weak right ankle and the fastbreaks were fine. However, they are not a supportive shoe if that is what you are looking for; break in easy and the upper is very pliable. The 'nylon' portions of the shoe do nothing for structural integrity. If you can find all leather or leather/suede you might get what you are looking for.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #549 on: April 24, 2024, 03:13:16 PM »
I like the all-leather fastbreaks. The eyelets kinda bit my foot/ankle sometimes so I can't lace them all the way up I have to tie em lower. Great boardfeel but no midsole foam. I use superfeet flex footbeds.

Adidas pro model still my favorite shoe. Crazy boardfeel/flexibility, padding, and fit my wide ass feet decently. Ordered some non-skate ones that look like the ADVs, those "80s dlx" ones with the gum toecap/sole. Currently skating the sam narvaez ones and some white with black stripes ones. Kinda did the splits the other day and that high top saved my ankle from getting scraped hard

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #550 on: April 28, 2024, 12:59:37 PM »
Whats the sizing on adidas like? Im a US11 in last resorts for reference

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #551 on: April 28, 2024, 02:15:05 PM »
Whats the sizing on adidas like? Im a US11 in last resorts for reference

They've always been TTS for me, if a bit narrow.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #552 on: April 28, 2024, 06:45:17 PM »
Agreed on the Adidas being a narrower foot, go 1/2 a size up if you got a wide foot or bunions.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 16
« Reply #553 on: April 29, 2024, 03:28:08 AM »
i have never used adidas skateboarding shoes but just regular adidas.
my favorite shoe at the moment is that big adidas forum in reg adidas, what change should I expect if i buy a skateboarding forum ? any big improvement ?
i have a wide foot and usually nike sb and even some vans are narrow the first few days for me but not the reg adidas.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 24
« Reply #554 on: April 29, 2024, 11:26:54 AM »
I like the all-leather fastbreaks. The eyelets kinda bit my foot/ankle sometimes so I can't lace them all the way up I have to tie em lower. Great boardfeel but no midsole foam. I use superfeet flex footbeds.

Adidas pro model still my favorite shoe. Crazy boardfeel/flexibility, padding, and fit my wide ass feet decently. Ordered some non-skate ones that look like the ADVs, those "80s dlx" ones with the gum toecap/sole. Currently skating the sam narvaez ones and some white with black stripes ones. Kinda did the splits the other day and that high top saved my ankle from getting scraped hard

Are there any all leathers aside from the white/light brown star ones?

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #555 on: April 29, 2024, 01:46:55 PM »
i have never used adidas skateboarding shoes but just regular adidas.
my favorite shoe at the moment is that big adidas forum in reg adidas, what change should I expect if i buy a skateboarding forum ? any big improvement ?
i have a wide foot and usually nike sb and even some vans are narrow the first few days for me but not the reg adidas.

I've skated adv forums and regular originals , I like both.  the adv is more comfortable padded and built better.
I wish they were grippier as they treat my feet well.  One of my current favourites for sure

This is one shoe where the adv feels like an "advanced" version ,