Author Topic: Gear that doesn't exist but should  (Read 7630 times)

Jowiththeflow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Re: Gear that doesn't exist but should
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2022, 06:39:32 AM »
I made my own...

Hell yeah!
I should try that ,too. (cough, i have access to cnc machines, cough)   

And while we're at it:
Wheels with off centered bearings would be great to expand the range of boardwidths u can ride with one trucksize.
This way u can even decrease your effective axle, unlike adding washers.
I'm afraid DLX has not too much interest in this, though. 

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2022, 12:40:52 PM »
Expand Quote
The Deathwish Foy85 shape that he used to skate being available all of the time would be my dream.
8.5x31.75 with a 14.25wb . Nice round nose and tail, not a twin tail. It’s the best feeling board I’ve ever skated. I’m sitting on a pile of them right now, but one of these days I’m going to be out. Thinking about dm’ing The Boss like a man and groveling like a child to try to make it a reality. I’d buy them by the dozen.
[close]

How does that one compare to the usual 8.475 x 31.875 shape?

Common on Baker and Deathwish:

8.475" x 31.875"
14.25" Wheelbase

The nose and tail are a little shorter and more full/rounded than the B16 shape. They claim to be only .125” different in length, but the nose measures .25” longer, and the tail measures barely longer tha the Foy, which makes no sense to me.

B16
6 7/8 n
6.5 t

Foy85
6 5/8 n
6 3/8 t

It’s honestly pretty close. I’m actually skating the B16 shape currently. It’s just got a little more taper to the nose and tail, which also make them look longer. It’s a pretty minor thing to bitch about, but here I am, haha.

The b16 is probably what I’ll end up skating when I’m finally out of Foy85s.

Dlx has an 8.5x31.8 w 14.25 wb, but I’m not in love with it’s none/tail lengths either, but it’s not bad.

There are options that are close enough, but this one feels one the one I’d skate until the end of time if I could. Unfortunately, at 37, pretty certain I’ll never be good enough (or lucky enough) to get a company to make my preferred shape. So I guess I’ll just have to settle for what I can find. I was able to purchase a handful of Foy85s from Deathwish that were made for Jamie but he had switched his shape to that twin tail by the time they got back from production.

It’s funny, I like boards with mellow kicks and short noses, but I hated that Foy twin tail I tried.

(I’m still totally going to dm Reynolds about it though, haha.)

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2022, 03:18:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Deathwish Foy85 shape that he used to skate being available all of the time would be my dream.
8.5x31.75 with a 14.25wb . Nice round nose and tail, not a twin tail. It’s the best feeling board I’ve ever skated. I’m sitting on a pile of them right now, but one of these days I’m going to be out. Thinking about dm’ing The Boss like a man and groveling like a child to try to make it a reality. I’d buy them by the dozen.
[close]

8.475" x 31.875"
14.25" Wheelbase
[close]

The nose and tail are a little shorter and more full/rounded than the B16 shape. They claim to be only .125” different in length, but the nose measures .25” longer, and the tail measures barely longer tha the Foy, which makes no sense to me.

B16
6 7/8 n
6.5 t

Foy85
6 5/8 n
6 3/8 t

It’s honestly pretty close. I’m actually skating the B16 shape currently. It’s just got a little more taper to the nose and tail, which also make them look longer. It’s a pretty minor thing to bitch about, but here I am, haha.

Dlx has an 8.5x31.8 w 14.25 wb, but I’m not in love with it’s none/tail lengths either, but it’s not bad.

There are options that are close enough, but this one feels one the one I’d skate until the end of time if I could. Unfortunately, at 37, pretty certain I’ll never be good enough (or lucky enough) to get a company to make my preferred shape. So I guess I’ll just have to settle for what I can find. I was able to purchase a handful of Foy85s from Deathwish that were made for Jamie but he had switched his shape to that twin tail by the time they got back from production.

It’s funny, I like boards with mellow kicks and short noses, but I hated that Foy twin tail I tried.

Ha yeah totally get on to him!

Interesting about the similarities and differences.

One thing to note too is the Deathwish / Baker boards do not taper and stay 8.5 right through from truck to truck, whereas the DLX 8.5 does taper from 8.5 right at the shoulder (more often less 8.3 in the middle, as per many comments on here) down to almost 8.25 at the back bolts.

I feel like some people really like the taper on boards, but if I get a board that has a straight rail right through, I just feel better about it.

That's my madness.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2022, 03:53:38 PM »
Expand Quote
I made my own...

[close]

Hell yeah!
I should try that ,too. (cough, i have access to cnc machines, cough)   

And while we're at it:
Wheels with off centered bearings would be great to expand the range of boardwidths u can ride with one trucksize.
This way u can even decrease your effective axle, unlike adding washers.
I'm afraid DLX has not too much interest in this, though.

I would recommend playing around with old wheels first, just to get a feel for it and make very gentle cuts into the edge of the wheel to start the process.  It is fairly easy no matter what you use, but I have seen times where people have slipped and the tool / grinder has run a gouge through the urethane and made the wheel unusable.

As for off center wheels, those Lock Ins are pretty much the only wheel that would have that effect, as they are very much different from front to back, so running them one way gives about a 5 mm difference or more, from some I had.

The way I work through wheel to truck ratios to fit certain decks is a combination of wider or more narrow wheels and washers, eg for a board with axles that stick out a touch, one washer on the inside and medium width classics, but with a board with axles just on or slightly under, classic full wheels with up to three washers on the inside brings the wheel edge out a significant amount.  I guess I have a lot more old stock to play with and make up various combinations too, but I like the wheel edge to be pretty much on or just under the deck edge.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2022, 04:54:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

8.475" x 31.875"
14.25" Wheelbase
[close]

B16
6 7/8 n
6.5 t

Foy85
6 5/8 n
6 3/8 t

[close]

Ha yeah totally get on to him!

Interesting about the similarities and differences.

One thing to note too is the Deathwish / Baker boards do not taper and stay 8.5 right through from truck to truck, whereas the DLX 8.5 does taper from 8.5 right at the shoulder (more often less 8.3 in the middle, as per many comments on here) down to almost 8.25 at the back bolts.

I feel like some people really like the taper on boards, but if I get a board that has a straight rail right through, I just feel better about it.

That's my madness.

I’m with you 100%. I’m not a fan of the taper. My son is skating an 8.25 Sheckler Plan b that has a crazy taper, more exaggerated than any I’ve ever noticed before. Seems almost triangle shaped, haha.

There’s no way I could skate that thing.