Author Topic: Ruining Spots 101  (Read 4587 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
Ruining Spots 101
« on: February 15, 2021, 11:35:54 AM »
Partly inspired by the Ruining Clips 101 thread, and partially inspired by people who ruin spots, what are the things that ruin a spot for you, and there can be quite a range to the word "ruin" so just give us some of your personal reactions from deep within.  This is a safe space. 

For me, I know you smoke, I know you have nasal congestion, I know you fidget in between runs, but spitting anywhere at the spot is reprehensible in my opinion, it makes me feel like you're working for the other side, and even if's off to the side or in some grass or something it's just not cool, and now with Covid and a bunch of other strains of who knows what out there I just can't imagine anyone needing to spit.  Nasty habit.  It's not cool.  Tony Hawk could tell you.  What else you got that's not cool at the spot?

Hombreezy

Re: Ruining Spots 101
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 12:07:19 PM »
Narrow staircases make the spot twice as sketchy for me.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 12:12:49 PM »
I’ll spit wherever I damn well please. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

goo goo goo joob

• Rep: 40
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 12:14:50 PM »
litter is the most obvious answer.

blasting a bluetooth speaker while there’s other crews has always bugged me.

skunty

• Rep: 75
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 12:16:56 PM »
as an old person, high schoolers drinking and smoking at the skate spot sketches me out a bit cuz I don't want type of scenario where it seem like I'm responsible for them

Uncle Guss

• Rep: -3
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 12:26:05 PM »
Littering and needlessly vandalizing shit. Only leads to the spot becoming a bust even sooner.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 12:32:03 PM »
Complaining that every spot is an instant bust, but when they pull the van up and someone actually gets a trick quick, proceed to blast the car horn for 3 minutes straight while screaming, then shotgun beers, throwing the cans and rolling out. Then act surprised when security calls the cops the instant they pull up a few days later.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 12:40:05 PM »
Littering and non skaters hanging around, smoking, drinking, and such is a huge cop magnet.   

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 12:40:38 PM »
as an old person, high schoolers drinking and smoking at the skate spot sketches me out a bit cuz I don't want type of scenario where it seem like I'm responsible for them
random people just hang out at the slappy curb parking lot I usually go to at night after work and it sketches me out so bad. I know I'm weird for being here at 8:00 at night, do you know you're weird for being here?

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 12:44:12 PM »
Graffiti, being a dick to security a guard and acting all entitled, breaking windows, skating a weekend spot on a Tuesday afternoon, also litttering as mentioned before hand.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 85
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 12:59:43 PM »
If often find most people who skate alone break all the unwritten rules... Bring their weird girlfriend who sits on their phone the entire time. Plays music or wears big obnoxious headphones... Probably smokes weed in an open place to get you kicked out of the cops called, spitting as you said is a big one. Leaves cigarette butts everywhere... All the usual... Also... Ween fuckin slaps.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2287
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 01:01:31 PM »
If I see someone slap a shake junt sticker anywhere I swear...

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Some dude

• Rep: -40
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 01:16:29 PM »

Uncle Guss

• Rep: -3
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 01:45:17 PM »
Also, when someone waxes the whole top of a ledge for lipslides to the point where you cant manny the shit anymore without a potentially deadly slipout

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 779
  • dog stuff
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 01:50:45 PM »
Intrusive spot fixing,
yea its cool you wanna fix a spot but it really didnt need a full meter of pink bondo only because you cant pop off any surface thats not skatepark smooth

cky enthusiast

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 01:52:39 PM »
filming insta clips when you trash pon di board

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 01:59:39 PM »
Allowing bmxers to use the spot.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

ferbmx

• Rep: -2
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 02:08:18 PM »

Cmon bro! its 2021... Stop living in the past! Also BMXers we dont grind ankle size ledges hahahahaha

Your Cousin Marvin

• Rep: -144
  • Having my poasts moderated makes me sad
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 02:25:23 PM »
is spitting really "ruining a spot" tho. like that shit dries in like 2 seconds in the summer. I wouldn't say its ruined cuz some asshole spit on there
1:1 Ratio

Yossi

• Rep: 20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 02:31:00 PM »
IG accounts of street spots in your city. Dude in Denver is putting so many spots on blast. Even puts little stickers with his IG handle at the spots. A few of them are a no-go now since he posted them. Fuck denver spot locator.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 02:50:57 PM »
IG accounts of street spots in your city. Dude in Denver is putting so many spots on blast. Even puts little stickers with his IG handle at the spots. A few of them are a no-go now since he posted them. Fuck denver spot locator.

there's one in Orlando doing the lords work. just pull it up when you're out with the team and go spot to spot. haven't seen any spots get shut down

conqueso

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2021, 02:54:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Cmon bro! its 2021... Stop living in the past! Also BMXers we dont grind ankle size ledges hahahahaha

focus

themeangreen

• Rep: -76
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 02:55:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes but y'all fuck up the ones that are knee high or anything that has a rail w/o supports every 2 inches. Also airing out and tossing your bike can fuck up a properly made quarter at a DIY. Other than that, I got no qualms with bikers at street spots, bikers use the streets use totally different for the most part. At least the unique ones do. Bikers at the skatepark, totally different story. It's like adult scooter kids mixed with preteen roller bladers that can ruin you if you don't completely spot your landing.

Instagram and iPhones are the ruiners of spots. Used to have like a million map quest pages, a local, a sherpa and an SUV to
actually find it. Then fix it or figure it out. Now you know where it is, only need a kook to drop you a pin and totally blow up a spot forever and you've already watched 400 other local kooks online literally do the same trick as each other or tick tack out of their "special" way of skating it while the spot has been bondo'd so bad there's more bondo than spot. I like being surprised and that type of randomness is so sick to see in the wild instead of preconceived. Love Park by now would have a fucking atlas app for the cracks, when to skate, when's the best time for euro dudes with Hans and all that wax, and when someone with a supreme shirt comes by. Totally would be cool for the app to tell you if the cops got called like Citizen app.

When you show up randomly it's more interesting then shipping some Red Bull hucker to one spot for that one trick or when you're at your local spot and some euro dude is doing all the other sins listed above just to be at the spot for the Instagram, that's fucking lame. I don't live in LA but saw it enough of that bullshit in Philly years ago, people were very rude of the city, it was so gross. When I went to CPH for 2 weeks I didn't litter all over red park or spray paint on their DIY's(which are amazing by the way). But that's exactly what people do in Philly, euro's, La chad-bro-chill's and the like. Just cause the city is crusty doesn't mean you live here, go back to Ohio and do that on your 7-11.

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 02:58:54 PM »
When I was about 15 and only cared about New Deal I fancied myself a good enough artist to try some large scale graffiti. It turns out that I was not a good enough artist and painting directly on the bank we skated all the time wasn’t met with cheers from the company whose losing dock I ruined. The spot cooled off after a while, but I definitely fucked it up for the whole town for a few months.

Don’t do like 15 year old me. There’s plenty of unskatable places to put up your awful fucking unoriginal graffiti.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 02:59:04 PM »
graffiti as you know it started in philadelphia and hella love park lurkers wrote. don’t make claims about a place you aren’t from mane

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 03:21:14 PM »
I don't mind if you want to drink at the spot but please don't bring glass, and take your trash with you. Especially if it's a privately owned carpark or something, don't give the owners a reason to hate all of us just because you think littering is rebellious.

Hard agree. I have one friend who has started doing a #spotcheck account, likely inspired by our patron saint Fred Gall. I messaged him the other day a pic of a new spot like "bro let's go skate this before it gets blown up" and he posted it straight to insta for the whole world to see. I hit him up about it and he fukn blocked me. Asshole

If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -766
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2021, 03:29:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes but y'all fuck up the ones that are knee high or anything that has a rail w/o supports every 2 inches. Also airing out and tossing your bike can fuck up a properly made quarter at a DIY. Other than that, I got no qualms with bikers at street spots, bikers use the streets use totally different for the most part. At least the unique ones do. Bikers at the skatepark, totally different story. It's like adult scooter kids mixed with preteen roller bladers that can ruin you if you don't completely spot your landing.

Instagram and iPhones are the ruiners of spots. Used to have like a million map quest pages, a local, a sherpa and an SUV to
actually find it. Then fix it or figure it out. Now you know where it is, only need a kook to drop you a pin and totally blow up a spot forever and you've already watched 400 other local kooks online literally do the same trick as each other or tick tack out of their "special" way of skating it while the spot has been bondo'd so bad there's more bondo than spot. I like being surprised and that type of randomness is so sick to see in the wild instead of preconceived. Love Park by now would have a fucking atlas app for the cracks, when to skate, when's the best time for euro dudes with Hans and all that wax, and when someone with a supreme shirt comes by. Totally would be cool for the app to tell you if the cops got called like Citizen app.

When you show up randomly it's more interesting then shipping some Red Bull hucker to one spot for that one trick or when you're at your local spot and some euro dude is doing all the other sins listed above just to be at the spot for the Instagram, that's fucking lame. I don't live in LA but saw it enough of that bullshit in Philly years ago, people were very rude of the city, it was so gross. When I went to CPH for 2 weeks I didn't litter all over red park or spray paint on their DIY's(which are amazing by the way). But that's exactly what people do in Philly, euro's, La chad-bro-chill's and the like. Just cause the city is crusty doesn't mean you live here, go back to Ohio and do that on your 7-11.

"Euros" lol

What a gimp.

As if it's one big place where everyone is the same.

There's 44 countries in Europe and many many many different cultures.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2021, 04:46:34 PM »
Poops.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2021, 06:17:07 PM »
litter is the most obvious answer.

blasting a bluetooth speaker while there’s other crews has always bugged me.

This, take your shitty music elsewhere and pick up your trash, there’s literally a trash can right there. Idk why the trash thing is so hard, but I see it at every spot.

Not leaving/arguing when security asks you to, especially when they are being cool.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2021, 06:39:44 PM »
Other than really blowing a street spot up, it's gotta be the stickering and bad grafitti for me. I get that kids are eager to go out and make a name for themselves but where I live, there have been some awful two letters and fills popping up at a local public skatepark. They get scrubbed immediately and the city has issued warnings... find a better spot and before you go buckwild, put some time in to practice. I don't want to discourage anyone, but if it looks bad... it looks bad.

graffiti as you know it started in philadelphia and hella love park lurkers wrote. don’t make claims about a place you aren’t from mane

Are you from Philly? As someone who grew up in a small town and started writing a bit in college, I always envied people who got to see cool shit in actual cities.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead