Author Topic: louie lopez soty  (Read 5562 times)

potpie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
louie lopez soty
« on: March 10, 2021, 02:51:00 PM »
seems like a good potential candidate, just watched his rough cut on thrasher and i felt compelled to make this awful thread so i think it means something.

1. on FA and Cons (nice signature shoe), definitely fits burnetts perception of the “cool factor”
2. really cute, great smile
3. trick selection, spot selection, natural talent all fit the bill

i think these factors make louie a great potential candidate for soty, if he can continue to improve and put out footage this year he would be a nice change from a hesher like milton or a high speed high risk guy like silva

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
Re: louie lopez soty
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 02:53:11 PM »
seems like a good potential candidate, just watched his rough cut on thrasher and i felt compelled to make this awful thread so i think it means something.

1. on FA and Cons (nice signature shoe), definitely fits burnetts perception of the “cool factor”

i think these factors make louie a great potential candidate for soty, if he can continue to improve and put out footage this year he would be a nice change from a hesher like milton or a high speed high risk guy like silva

The last two winners didn't have the "cool factor".

TheFandangler

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 03:10:45 PM »

As much as I hope for this to happen, it will be hard. He's been so productive the last 4 years that it would be difficult to see him keep matching that level of output again. His year should have been when he put out the West End part or the Purple part. It's also kinda funny how you think a rough cut from a part released last year puts someone in SOTY running.

I also like that, in your opinion, Louie still needs to "improve". They don't get much better than him, man.

Also, where did you get the criteria for "Burnett's perception of cool" and how that factors into SOTY? Would love to see that. I didn't know that cute/nice smile factored into that decision as well.

sexhaver2006

• Rep: -13
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 03:22:26 PM »
Not that the last few winners weren't deserving, but he could have won it multiple times by now IMO. Dude is among the best there is.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 03:28:04 PM »
Louie should have been SOTY the year Foy got it but Thrasher decided it needed to get ahead of the game and acknowledge the fastest growing demographic in skateboarding: fat kids old men.

TastyBurrito has entered the chat.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 03:32:08 PM »
Louie should have been SOTY the year Foy got it but Thrasher decided it needed to get ahead of the game and acknowledge the fastest growing demographic in skateboarding: fat kids

No wonder I got fat since Foy won SOTY...
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 03:35:49 PM »
Fs crooks on big rails... do that and you can surpass Louie

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 03:48:06 PM »
Louie should have been SOTY the year Foy got it but Thrasher decided it needed to get ahead of the game and acknowledge the fastest growing demographic in skateboarding: fat kids

his west end part is worth a re-watch:

Patrick2G

• Rep: -309
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 03:48:34 PM »

LMAO I am dying hahaha but for real big boy foy rips, I ain't mad about that one.

conqueso

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 03:59:58 PM »
foy is maybe the least arguable soty

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 04:04:14 PM »
I really liked his other rough cut, the Spitfire part was no breeze as well
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

haydtang

• Rep: -20
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 04:05:06 PM »
i think it should be RHINO

SourPatch MOY

• Rep: -30
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 04:06:52 PM »
Back it

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 04:07:23 PM »

As much as I hope for this to happen, it will be hard. He's been so productive the last 4 years that it would be difficult to see him keep matching that level of output again. His year should have been when he put out the West End part or the Purple part. It's also kinda funny how you think a rough cut from a part released last year puts someone in SOTY running.

I also like that, in your opinion, Louie still needs to "improve". They don't get much better than him, man.

Also, where did you get the criteria for "Burnett's perception of cool" and how that factors into SOTY? Would love to see that. I didn't know that cute/nice smile factored into that decision as well.
i think its a little early in this year to go off of new footage, and to be fair the edit was really top notch skating.
I dont think louie needs to improve, just that if he WOULD continue to improve it might finally get him out of the “should have been soty years ago” group.

love louie man

WayneKerr

• Rep: -2
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 04:08:10 PM »
I’m hoping someone like Jack O Grady gets it.
Dork tricks ain't nothing new, people just get internet likes for them now instead of being called a faggot like when I was a kid

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 04:14:56 PM »
Give it to Westgate. That boy is good.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 04:18:42 PM »

I'm gonna go on a limb and throw Ishod and Mason in that category as well.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 04:40:17 PM »
this is one of the least popular takes i’ve ever seen on this website. i almost respect it. you’re wrong, but i respect how wrong i think

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 04:48:53 PM »
Foy is definitely in the bottom half of deserving sotys
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

TheFandangler

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 04:54:18 PM »

Not that Foy didn't deserve it, but I think he's arguable because several other people could also have won that year and they would have deserved it. Mason, Ishod, Appleyard, Arto, SBN (fight me), are all examples of no-contest SOTYs. Their wins are not arguable at all.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 04:59:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
this is one of the least popular takes i’ve ever seen on this website. i almost respect it. you’re wrong, but i respect how wrong i think

I've been called out on here for expressing something like this opinion, but I will defend myself and withcheese up there by saying that Foy going from barely am with practically zero coverage and no impressive sponsors to heavily caked up SOTY in the space of a couple years or whatever was honestly sort of amazing.  He got SOTY because he came out of left field with the scary frontside grinds on real big stuff and an impressive ledge tech game, all of it done proper. Nothing but respect for that refrigerator looking ass neckbeard homie, personally.  Actually, gotta make the Red Bull hat caveat, shit's wack, but still not as wack as Foy's footage is gnarly.

Anyway, Louie should absolutely get SOTY, even though Jack O'Grady probably has him beat this year already.  They should start a new award for MASOTY (most adorable skater of the year) and just put Louie's face on it.   

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2021, 05:09:07 PM »

JosephSmith

• Rep: 49
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 05:14:12 PM »
I thought he had already won. He deserves it.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2021, 05:15:53 PM »
Still early as hell, but Westgate put his foot down.  Who knows who will put out more footy though?  As far as younger dudes, Simon is a threat.

TheFandangler

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2021, 05:24:22 PM »
fact is he doesn't risk his life for innovative maneuvers like mason, arto, foy, milton. undeniably great skater though.

Is that the criteria for SOTY? If so, I would say that his innovative, life-risking grade is on par with at least Wes, Ishod, TJ, Appleyard, MJ, Daewon, SBN, Mike Carroll, Brian Anderson, and possibly Arto.

snowballz

• Rep: -12
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 06:46:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm gonna go on a limb and throw Ishod and Mason in that category as well.

in the context of the year he won, MJ should be included too.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 753
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 06:53:33 PM »
MJ is a very “of the time” SOTY. Rewatching thst video now, he had a lot of bullshit. It is easily his least enjoyable part, and the fact that he missed 5 years of his sons birthdays and became a functioning alcoholic for that is a tragedy. 
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 07:02:42 PM »
Mason 2020>Louie 2021 is also great storyline wise which I'm sure thrasher will love, but he also has to put out an actual footy in 2021 instead of a rough cut of a part last year. If he tries to get SOTY, he absolutely can do it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 07:16:56 PM by quesly »

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 07:45:49 PM »
Mason 2020>Louie 2021 is also great storyline wise which I'm sure thrasher will love, but he also has to put out an actual footy in 2021 instead of a rough cut of a part last year. If he tries to get SOTY, he absolutely can do it.

I was thinking about this as well after watching that video about their friendship. Would love to see Louie get it.
Suns out, im going skating. chow

applejuice

• Rep: 10
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2021, 08:05:44 PM »
it's march