Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 206780 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 +
« Reply #450 on: July 27, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »
hey,

anybody know what woodshop Castle uses? The sell for FA/Hockey/Baker/Carpet/BBS-prices around my place...

Thanks in advance!

Castle uses Prime for their wood.

Expand Quote
Anyone have info on the WB measurements for Alltimers 8.25 and 8.125? I assume they are the standard generic BBS shapes that many brands use but cannot find a measurement anywhere online. Specifically looking at the newer Zered 8.25
[close]

Check the skatedeluxe website. They usually have all the specs online. From the top of my head I would guess the wheelbase would be 14.25 for both. Not sure tho

Yes the Alltimers 8.25 that I had was 14.25 wb.

They are as said pretty much the standard BBS size and shapes, good boards too.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 05:04:56 PM by Woodshop »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #451 on: July 27, 2021, 05:08:05 PM »
Anybody have and idea where chocolate and girl boards are made currently?

Are they any good? Had one long time ago. And it was like plastic.
They're like a little better plastic but still meh
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #452 on: July 27, 2021, 06:12:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody have and idea where chocolate and girl boards are made currently?

Are they any good? Had one long time ago. And it was like plastic.
[close]

I believe they are Dalian Huahong (China). They changed factory/wood about 2-3 years back and I've heard good things about the updated product (although I liked the old as well, but they broke a little too easily).

If you search around a little on the messageboard, there's some talk about em.

Limited edition boards (Jeron Wilson BLM, Carroll 93 reissue) are PS Stix

Pro boards are all done in China with the laser top markings. Late 2020 stuff and beyond is quality stuff, way better than the pre-2019 stock. My friend rides Crail boards exclusively and the stuff from early 2020 were piss poor, soggy in a matter of days and he snapped 1 cleanly skating flat on day 1.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #453 on: July 27, 2021, 11:26:36 PM »
hey,

anybody know what woodshop Castle uses? The sell for FA/Hockey/Baker/Carpet/BBS-prices around my place...

Thanks in advance!
It’s a bummer that anyone still gives a fuck about Daryl Angel

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #454 on: July 28, 2021, 02:02:12 AM »
Expand Quote
hey,

Thanks in advance!
[close]
It’s a bummer that anyone still gives a fuck about Daryl Angel

hm, actually dont know who that is... also didnt know anything about castle, just saw their boards and dimensions + graphics looked ok/interesting to me, but couldn't check one out in person.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #455 on: July 28, 2021, 07:40:59 AM »
is it just me or has the wknd 8.25 CT shape gotten flatter? I thought maybe I've been getting middle presses but got another super flat one 3rd Time in a row.

I believe others who are fans of PS Stix have said that there are varying molds for their boards, so although it is probably known by someone, chances are it might not be so widely known unless advertised, so some will be flatter (as per a couple of brands I have) and some will be steeper (one that comes to mind was Quasi which always seemed way steeper when I stood on them).

Maybe not just the place in the stack which could come into it, but in the same way some other woodshops like BBS would do, who also have steeper molds (FA / Hockey) and more mellow molds (Baker).

@Buttfart Rapedick would be the ideal person to have provide more info on this, if known, or even hit up the WKND instagram and ask them (which may or may not get much back) but always worth a try.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #456 on: July 28, 2021, 10:19:06 AM »
I had that with a Quasi 8.25 once- it wasn't the proto shape, but it didn't match the other pro model Quasi 8.25 of the same dims. Was oddly flat in the nose compared to normal.

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #457 on: July 28, 2021, 06:21:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
is it ok to ask for assistance in this post? I'm looking for a new deck from two specific manufactures but I'm having a tough time searching.
[close]

What manufacturers are your searching for?
[close]

A BBS, PS stix or good quality Mexican board with measurements like this or slightly smaller.

Deck size 31.75

Width 8.25

Wheel base 14.25

Nose 7

Tail 6.75

I'm also looking for more information on this board  https://toymachine.com/sect-eye-blue-7-88.html a deck like this would be ideal but I'm not sure who it's manufactured by.

Length of that board would be closer to 32.2 inches. Length should honestly be the last thing you're worried about if you have specific wheelbase, nose and tail in mind.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #458 on: July 28, 2021, 09:29:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
is it ok to ask for assistance in this post? I'm looking for a new deck from two specific manufactures but I'm having a tough time searching.
[close]

[close]

A BBS, PS stix or good quality Mexican board with measurements like this or slightly smaller.

Deck size 31.75

Width 8.25

Wheel base 14.25

Nose 7

Tail 6.75

I'm also looking for more information on this board  https://toymachine.com/sect-eye-blue-7-88.html a deck like this would be ideal but I'm not sure who it's manufactured by.
[close]

Length of that board would be closer to 32.2 inches. Length should honestly be the last thing you're worried about if you have specific wheelbase, nose and tail in mind.

I thought that too, when I added up those figures (wheelbase, nose and tail) it would definitely be over 32" long.

Even between some boards with listed measurements, there are going to be inconsistencies, eg two in particular I checked yesterday, the 32.0 BBS is significantly longer than the 32.25 PS Stix, so it is on my list of things to do, go over a few boards of known dimensions and measure those.

As has also been said before which applies to different woodshops too, the main difference in length comes from laying the tape measure flat through the concave (32.5 or so long on the BBS) compared to keeping it tight from end to end (closer to 32.0 even) but you cannot really mess up or change the wheelbase, nose or tail measurements in that way, which as said, the overall length should be the last thing on the list, if at all.

Nap

• Rep: 2
« Reply #459 on: July 29, 2021, 12:27:34 AM »
Do you guys have any bad experience, with Clutch/ASF because I am tempted to to try an Isle or a Magenta Deck.
I riding so long on BBS-Decks, that I am kinda afraid to going through a deck much faster than usual.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #460 on: July 29, 2021, 01:27:45 AM »
Do you guys have any bad experience, with Clutch/ASF because I am tempted to to try an Isle or a Magenta Deck.
I riding so long on BBS-Decks, that I am kinda afraid to going through a deck much faster than usual.

Tried one 8"-deck from them that got pressure cracks after two sessions, didn't care for it, didn't care for it at all.

Pennybabie

• Rep: -18
« Reply #461 on: July 29, 2021, 10:22:46 AM »
Question if higher trucks give higher pop how is Yuto Horigome able to fly through the air with such low trucks?

Doss him being a small guy have something to do with this?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #462 on: July 29, 2021, 10:28:51 AM »
Question if higher trucks give higher pop how is Yuto Horigome able to fly through the air with such low trucks?

Because he listens to his own sense of inner timing and not that of "Professor" Schmitt.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #463 on: July 29, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »

Same can be asked about Brandon Westgate and all the pop monsters skating low ventures 20+ years ago. There’s definitely more at play than just truck height

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #464 on: July 29, 2021, 04:51:01 PM »

Two things:

From the last lot of Magenta and Isle I saw they were still BBS / Generator, but it could be different in different parts of the world.  I would be keen to hear if anyone has seen either of those two brands on Clutch wood and where.

Clutch / ASF is about the closest in feel to BBS on some boards I have skated and they hold up just as well overall, from the guys who have skated them that I know.  The pricepoint wood was a little softer, but it still lasted well enough too.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #465 on: July 29, 2021, 05:49:19 PM »

You either have pop or you don't. Truck height won't factore in that much...Tiago, Hayes...they'd pop with anything.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 05:57:08 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #466 on: July 29, 2021, 07:39:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Because he listens to his own sense of inner timing and not that of "Professor" Schmitt.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #467 on: July 30, 2021, 02:52:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Deck size 31.75

Width 8.25

Wheel base 14.25

Nose 7

Tail 6.75

[close]

[close]

I thought that too, when I added up those figures (wheelbase, nose and tail) it would definitely be over 32" long.

Even between some boards with listed measurements, there are going to be inconsistencies, eg two in particular I checked yesterday, the 32.0 BBS is significantly longer than the 32.25 PS Stix, so it is on my list of things to do, go over a few boards of known dimensions and measure those.

As has also been said before which applies to different woodshops too, the main difference in length comes from laying the tape measure flat through the concave (32.5 or so long on the BBS) compared to keeping it tight from end to end (closer to 32.0 even) but you cannot really mess up or change the wheelbase, nose or tail measurements in that way, which as said, the overall length should be the last thing on the list, if at all.

i was curious and did the math too 🤓

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #468 on: July 30, 2021, 05:27:52 AM »

A post to share:

Woodshop discrepancies

I had been thinking about this for a while, but needed to have more than one deck of each, as well as the same or very closely similar dimensions, so on top of that, here are three decks each from PS Stix (left) and BBS (right) all for the same brand (Element) to compare, measure and see what differences, as noted there are.

As per the tops, the PS Stix is 8.375 x 32.25 and the BBS is 8.25 x 32.25 both with 14.25 wheelbase and very similar length nose and tails. The PS Stix is significantly shorter than the BBS overall, mostly in the tail (which is why I stopped riding them) and curiously not being as wide, both being almost the same, even though 8.375 should be wider than 8.25 but the PS Stix also tapers a lot more from the front down to just over 8.125 at the back, with a stubby squared off tail, whereas the BBS keeps the 8.25 width right through the boards with rounder kicks.

The other interesting thing to note, even though both seem to be much the same angle in the tails and overall concave, all the PS Stix wood appear much steeper in the nose, as per the pics, which I could feel when I stood on them too.

PS Stix are more the traditional mold, with the kicks starting with a definite line across the boards and a straight face on the kicks, so they are flatter with no side to side concave, compared to BBS which have the "spoon concave" in the kicks, no definite line across the deck which makes the boards a little more mellow feeling in the area just after the bolts, as well as holding your foot on the board just a little better too, with side to side concave in the same way that the middle of the board does.

I have skated a lot of both PS Stix and BBS boards over the years, so even though my favourite is BBS nowdays, there is nothing wrong with PS Stix as a good woodshop. Like anything, there will always be those who prefer one more so than the other. This is not at all about how the board feels to ride or how long they last either, just about the measurements and concave for now.

jrb32

• Rep: -2
« Reply #469 on: July 30, 2021, 07:46:56 AM »
Anyone have an update on what is going on with primitive and their wood shop issues? Hoping for new boards soon 🤞🏼

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #470 on: July 31, 2021, 04:03:11 AM »
Anyone have an update on what is going on with primitive and their wood shop issues? Hoping for new boards soon

All the recent boards I had seen had "Made in China" on them, so from an unknown woodshop.  Prior to that, they were BBS with "Made in Mexico" on them.

Others had made comments saying team riders were not so stoked on the new "Made in China" wood, but one guy who had skated one said it held up ok, so I guess it is more down to personal preference.

Either way, I would think it safer to stand on them or buy in person rather than online if you are used to a certain concave and get something else.

Nothing besides the "team boards" out for a while, but there is a new colab coming out soon enough, so I guess there might be other boards coming along with those too, but don't know any more.

I meant to say before that Passport decks also seemed like the identical concave (same presses I would imagine) as Magenta, and also on the dark brown wood stains that they are so well known for, so you could seek out one of those.

Isle were on the Generator boards (Blanks from BBS), the difference being medium distributors would get the Generator blanks, then put on the heat transfer graphics of whatever brands they distribute, so would be more likely to change woodshop than some of the brands like Magenta who seem to get the whole deal at the BBS end of things, eg the boards are pressed, graphics put on and everything done, then shipped out from BBS.

An example of this / heat transfer graphics being applied:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 08:21:53 AM by Woodshop »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #471 on: July 31, 2021, 07:22:03 AM »
The made in Mexico ones.....I'm gonna take a wild guess and say clutch....

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
« Reply #472 on: July 31, 2021, 10:06:05 AM »

I used to really only ride Clutch boards because they stayed stiff for a long time. But I got a 2021 deck (Roger) and I broke it in three sessions.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #473 on: August 02, 2021, 05:01:27 PM »
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or on the setup the was but here I go:
After many years I found the perfect board for me: April 8.25 which on the April website it stated as
31.92" x 8.26"

Nose - 6.88"

Tail - 6.81"

WB - 14"

Thing is that I'm moving back to Europe and April boards are quite expensive there and in Prague I couldn't find any so, as you can imagine, the question is which brands offer sth similar?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #474 on: August 02, 2021, 05:21:37 PM »
After many years I found the perfect board for me: April 8.25 which on the April website it stated as
31.92" x 8.26"

Nose - 6.88"

Tail - 6.81"

WB - 14"

Thing is that I'm moving back to Europe and April boards are quite expensive there and in Prague I couldn't find any so, as you can imagine, the question is which brands offer sth similar?

Crailtap G052. Been riding them most of the year, the wood is a lot better than it used to be a few years ago too.

Stats:
Width:8.25″
Length:31.875″
Wheelbase:14″
Nose:6.875″
Tail:6.8″

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #475 on: August 02, 2021, 06:16:38 PM »
31.92" x 8.26"

Nose - 6.88"

Tail - 6.81"

WB - 14"

I only just noticed their dimensions a few days ago and those are beautiful for people who like decks longer than 31.75 and a short WB, sounds like the dimensions that would go excellent with Venture forged. The Real New R1 construction decks are probably the closest at the moment but they've been impossible to find.

April boards are more on the medium-mellow side with a full-ish (think Quasi) nose and tail. A little more flex from what I've heard which is unusual for BBS (I think) but still a solid ride.

Right now retails are facing a huge surge in demand for Yuto boards, but have plenty of stock for Shane / Diego / Team boards.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 09:56:25 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #476 on: August 02, 2021, 08:17:31 PM »
A good length of tail on those too.

6.5 = too short / small street setup

6.75 = about right / comfortable all rounder

7.0 = too long, except for a cruiser / big board

Personal preference comes into it a lot, but a touch longer is often easier overall (and lasts longer too).

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #477 on: August 03, 2021, 04:02:06 PM »

I saw an interesting thing with regard to Deathwish boards in the latest drop - some different sizes and dimensions listed compared to their usual sizes and dimensions.

https://www.deathwishskateboards.com/pages/fall-2021

There are some longer and shorter boards in 8.125, 8.25 and 8.5 just to name a few, eg

8.25 x 31.5
8.25 x 32 (14.35 wb)
8.25 x 31.75 twin tail (Neen)

I also noticed on the Uprise post, the sizes and also the BBS hologram stickers which are over the back bolts on top as per the last frame.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #478 on: August 04, 2021, 02:39:38 AM »
31.92" x 8.26"

Nose - 6.88"

Tail - 6.81"

WB - 14"

skated the same board and it was great, specs almost perfect for me
but tail is a bit too long and it was annoying at first but fine after a few sessions
wasn't flexy, just felt like BBS

hockey 8.25 are pretty similar, but feels better to me because of the shorter tail and most probably slighty steeper nose and tail

As rocklobster said, quasi can be an option but PS stix doesn't feel as great and consistent as BBS

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #479 on: August 04, 2021, 03:26:57 AM »

I saw an interesting thing with regard to Deathwish boards in the latest drop - some different sizes and dimensions listed compared to their usual sizes and dimensions.

https://www.deathwishskateboards.com/pages/fall-2021

There are some longer and shorter boards in 8.125, 8.25 and 8.5 just to name a few, eg

8.25 x 31.5
8.25 x 32 (14.35 wb)
8.25 x 31.75 twin tail (Neen)

I also noticed on the Uprise post, the sizes and also the BBS hologram stickers which are over the back bolts on top as per the last frame.

Good looking shapes, I don't recall them being that phat before, but then again no one sells Deathwish around here any more.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest