Author Topic: Free Product You Wouldn't Even Use  (Read 7807 times)

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
Re: Free Product You Wouldn't Even Use
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2021, 06:06:01 PM »
I received a Crail mouse pad and a Anti-Hero car air freshener that I never used.

I got an Peter hewitt board when I was in middle school and it came with a plastic beer koozie that makes the can look like a Coke and I could not comprehend what it was
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Stlfromca

• Rep: 1
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2021, 07:18:06 PM »
 Wouldnt touch anything from frog, pizza, rip n dip, welcome, shake junt, dgk or any other blue haired weirdo brand. If its a dipped board forget about it regardless of woodshop. Same goes with colored trucks. Ew. Dont even get me started on wheels other than white. Id litteraly throw away wheels by pig, or any other goofy half baked brand. I fuck with bones bushings and bearings but id give away their wheels. They ALL feel like 110 duro. Like skating legit plastic. Cupsole shoes or its getting sold.

Nap

• Rep: 2
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2021, 02:26:56 AM »
Jart Decks were always to fragile, phillips hardware, clothes with huge brand logos like all the trashers hoodies, any sort of colured or printed/designed griptape.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2021, 02:38:37 AM »
i'd probably use anything if i needed it. if i wouldn't like the brand or graphic i would sand it down or spray paint it. if i had to skate a pair of cariumas i'd cut off the ugly ass logo. as long as the stuff works. 

in terms of griptape wars, i dislike jessup, so i don't like it when i get that for free with a board. i often change it out midway for mob or something similar gritty. i don't know if we get bad batches of jessup only, but for the last ten years i haven't had a jessup sheet that wouldn't just straight up flake up and off the board. it's like the glue sucks now and the sheets are always super brittle. it also feels like weeks old grip. i can see how some like that but i'd rather sand down a sheet of mob or have a bit too much grip than too little.

anyways, i'd take any free product i could get, you can always hand it down later on to someone who needs stuff.

scary

• Rep: -7
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2021, 02:40:32 AM »
I wouldn’t skate cruiser wheels.

Feel like every socal skatepark has one blonde dogtown superfan who rides a normal skate with cruiser wheels and tries so fucking hard.

Maybe i wouldn’t skate weirdo blogger brands or anything thats not my size but brand wise i really don’t care unless someone gave me a rick and morty or starwars primitive deck. Idk though i’ve never gotten anything for free tho

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1145
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2021, 03:41:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Always remember

I cant stand free product tosses. Id rather pay $200 for a deck that im psyched on from a company I love than struggle with assholes or run thru a mud maze for a free (warped) board.

Anyway, imagine someone rolling up on you with free, fresh 2021 Tensors Trucks and they are hoping you're excited
[close]

If you are old enough to post on Slap, you're too old for a product toss

How many opportunities do you get as an adult to shove 12 year olds to the ground as hard as you can?    Just gotta make sure to slip back into the crowd before they get their pain-in-the-ass parents. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2021, 04:48:49 AM »
Nike, cariuma, supreme, palace.

For the record I don't loathe palace like the others. I think what they are doing is cool. I just wouldn't be caught dead in the clothes.

I want to be open minded but I have a hard time liking anything but spitfires.

Honestly I'd take any deck if it's close to the right size. I'd just spray over it
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2021, 05:14:07 AM »
Cariumas, what are you thinking with that huge logo? Just waiting for the brand to go under soon.

Colored/graphic grip tapes.... tried a few brands over the years but all feel subpar to classic black griptape; maybe it’s me but I feel the grain it’s too different

Any wheel that isn’t bones or spitfire

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2021, 05:17:51 AM »
Supreme gear. Straight to eBay, I've got billz to pay

asbestos

• Rep: 11
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2021, 05:37:03 AM »
Jart Decks were always to fragile, phillips hardware, clothes with huge brand logos like all the trashers hoodies, any sort of colured or printed/designed griptape.
did a phillips bolt kill your dog or something? someone explain phillips hate

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2021, 05:38:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Oj’s .
[close]

I’ll ride OJ’s Insane-a-thane wheels before F4’s any day of the week.
Good for you .

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2021, 06:15:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I still don’t get it; my theory it’s a cool guy thing that got into the skaters mind
I still find easier to set up with any screwdriver I could find and also to re tighten those little fuckers after a few session

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2021, 07:04:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I still don’t get it; my theory it’s a cool guy thing that got into the skaters mind
I still find easier to set up with any screwdriver I could find and also to re tighten those little fuckers after a few session

I run allen 100% only because of Shalom Law
while for convenience/purpose/accessibility purposes: it supersedes logic.
I use a leatherman pretty much every day with a built in phillips that I just smh at because I know it would just be easier. 

Bender

• Rep: -6
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2021, 09:03:03 AM »
You dudes sayin you wouldn’t ride a free deck from some board company you don’t like.

Can of Rusto is $5

Entirely hypothetical, I know, but this thread reeks of entitlement.

Stlfromca

• Rep: 1
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2021, 09:32:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it's just more practical to carry and Allen tool that fits all of the Allen hardware. Most screwdrivers that you pick up have different Philips tips which may or may not fit skateboard hardware how it's supposed to. Phillips is oftentimes much more stripped out, at least from my experience working at multiple skate shops over the years.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2021, 10:08:40 AM »
I’m not very picky with stuff. I skated and enjoyed about every wheel brand under the sun, almost all the major truck brands, and will skate any board that’s 8.5. I love giving new/smaller brands some love as much as possible.

The only exception is grip. I skate MOB, period. I don’t care what graphic is on it, what color, clear, black, whatever. I have given away multiple sheets of brand new grip and then turned around that same day to get Mob. I think I’ve had like 4 decks in my entire life that weren’t Mob. I’m sure other grip brands are just fine but it’s such a strong mental thing at this point that I just roll with it no questions asked.

Cash bandicoot

• Rep: 4
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2021, 10:25:55 AM »
Anything related to a racist or abuser.
Anything youtube related.
a venn diagram showing the intersection of mediocre, garbage, and even-toed ungulates

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »

The only exception is grip. I skate MOB, period. I don’t care what graphic is on it, what color, clear, black, whatever. I have given away multiple sheets of brand new grip and then turned around that same day to get Mob. I think I’ve had like 4 decks in my entire life that weren’t Mob. I’m sure other grip brands are just fine but it’s such a strong mental thing at this point that I just roll with it no questions asked.

I'm the same way with Jessup. Can't ride anything else. It's gotta be black, though, can't ride coloured grip.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2021, 01:32:21 PM »
I got a few free boxes of DGK shit during the "I <3 Haters" phase they were going through, and I mean they printed that shit on everything. I have hats, wrist bands, t-shirts, and decks that I received from it, and I only skated the decks because I could sticker them up.

I'm not gonna ride anything from any other truck company that isn't Indy/ Venture/ Thunder. I used to get free trucks a long time ago from a particular company (not gonna name them bc they were great to me, but no one on the team rode the actual trucks), and I'd just give that shit to my friends. It was a wack truck company that had some pretty awesome riders on their team, and the team guys I met always had Indy's for the most part.

I'm not gonna wear anything from DC, regardless of how nostalgic I get over a pair of Lynx/ Kalis 1/ Williams 1 shoes. This is coming from someone who wears Es retro models that aren't 100% true to form (weird sole/ missing airbags/ etc) which kills me bc it's my only gripe with what they're doing right now, and DC did a great job reissuing their shit 1:1. It has nothing to do with the quality of their products and everything to do with their branding image, I don't need someone looking at me wearing Lynx and associate me with Ridiculousness, energy drinks, or fat 12 year old kids who scream the n-word at strangers while playing Call of Duty. Same goes for Etnies, Es is fine in my book bc they're exclusively marketed towards skateboarding.

No Lakai footwear. I don't care how cool those Cambridge shoes look, I'm not wearing something I know is gonna suck in quality on my feet. It's a cool Adidas ripoff, but I could just buy the Adidas version without having to worry about QC issues. I mean I won't buy Adidas shoes bc I don't like the way they fit my feet, but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at. It sucks too, it's the only thing keeping me from supporting a core brand that isn't all that offensive.

No shaped decks, no weird sizes. I'll take any deck between 7.8-8.12 and ride it just fine knowing I can sand off/ sticker up lame graphics. There's some brands that I've come around to actually liking, like I'd ride some Pizza shit without covering up the graphic since I liked Raheim Robinson's Etherium part & Chase Webb is nowhere to be found.

I won't ride any bearings besides Bones Swiss. I don't care how good they are, if they're any other brand there's no way I'll feel right rolling around. It can be the regular Swiss, the six ball, ceramics, idc really, they just need to be Swiss for me to rock with them. This is the only constant I've kept with my set up during the majority of my time skateboarding, and it's never let me down.

I'm not picky with griptape, as long as it's straight black and doesn't have some stupid logo cutout or graphic I'm perfectly fine with whatever I get. I could never ride Shake Junt grip or whatever, shit like that ruins footage. Same goes for wheels, they need to be all white and 99-101A but I can deal with pretty much whatever.

I think that's basically it for me, if I come up with anything else I'll keep you guys posted.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 01:43:33 PM by Matthew_James »
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2021, 01:52:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

it's just more practical to carry and Allen tool that fits all of the Allen hardware. Most screwdrivers that you pick up have different Philips tips which may or may not fit skateboard hardware how it's supposed to. Phillips is oftentimes much more stripped out, at least from my experience working at multiple skate shops over the years.
Also I associate Phillips head to those toy boards they sell at supermarket,looks wrong to me.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

asbestos

• Rep: 11
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2021, 02:28:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

word, thanks for an actual answer haha. using the wrong phillips bit could strip the shit out of the bolts, whereas using the wrong allen wrench won't do much

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2021, 02:31:19 PM »
I got a few free boxes of DGK shit during the "I <3 Haters" phase they were going through, and I mean they printed that shit on everything. I have hats, wrist bands, t-shirts, and decks that I received from it, and I only skated the decks because I could sticker them up.

I'm not gonna ride anything from any other truck company that isn't Indy/ Venture/ Thunder. I used to get free trucks a long time ago from a particular company (not gonna name them bc they were great to me, but no one on the team rode the actual trucks), and I'd just give that shit to my friends. It was a wack truck company that had some pretty awesome riders on their team, and the team guys I met always had Indy's for the most part.

I'm not gonna wear anything from DC, regardless of how nostalgic I get over a pair of Lynx/ Kalis 1/ Williams 1 shoes. This is coming from someone who wears Es retro models that aren't 100% true to form (weird sole/ missing airbags/ etc) which kills me bc it's my only gripe with what they're doing right now, and DC did a great job reissuing their shit 1:1. It has nothing to do with the quality of their products and everything to do with their branding image, I don't need someone looking at me wearing Lynx and associate me with Ridiculousness, energy drinks, or fat 12 year old kids who scream the n-word at strangers while playing Call of Duty. Same goes for Etnies, Es is fine in my book bc they're exclusively marketed towards skateboarding.

No Lakai footwear. I don't care how cool those Cambridge shoes look, I'm not wearing something I know is gonna suck in quality on my feet. It's a cool Adidas ripoff, but I could just buy the Adidas version without having to worry about QC issues. I mean I won't buy Adidas shoes bc I don't like the way they fit my feet, but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at. It sucks too, it's the only thing keeping me from supporting a core brand that isn't all that offensive.

No shaped decks, no weird sizes. I'll take any deck between 7.8-8.12 and ride it just fine knowing I can sand off/ sticker up lame graphics. There's some brands that I've come around to actually liking, like I'd ride some Pizza shit without covering up the graphic since I liked Raheim Robinson's Etherium part & Chase Webb is nowhere to be found.

I won't ride any bearings besides Bones Swiss. I don't care how good they are, if they're any other brand there's no way I'll feel right rolling around. It can be the regular Swiss, the six ball, ceramics, idc really, they just need to be Swiss for me to rock with them. This is the only constant I've kept with my set up during the majority of my time skateboarding, and it's never let me down.

I'm not picky with griptape, as long as it's straight black and doesn't have some stupid logo cutout or graphic I'm perfectly fine with whatever I get. I could never ride Shake Junt grip or whatever, shit like that ruins footage. Same goes for wheels, they need to be all white and 99-101A but I can deal with pretty much whatever.

I think that's basically it for me, if I come up with anything else I'll keep you guys posted.

Krux.... Gotcha !
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2021, 02:41:38 PM »
sizzla nah dress inna gully gansey fi dgk
I an I haff nah white god

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2021, 03:56:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
mob

pick a side, grip wars have begun
[close]

Ahhh hell nah! MOB OR DIE!
[close]

Mob is trash. Plain black jessup or you're a dingus.
[close]
Jessup rules

Mob drools
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2021, 04:17:16 PM »
You dudes sayin you wouldn’t ride a free deck from some board company you don’t like.

Can of Rusto is $5

Entirely hypothetical, I know, but this thread reeks of entitlement.

Back in the day, fir sure.  Now?  I have income, I have preferences, and I don’t mind buying a couple decks a year.  Or one a year when it’s not a global pandemic.  I certainly don’t need to stock up on anything because I am not good enough to really care about shapes too much, as long as it’s in that 8.25-8.5 zone I’ll figure it out enough to use it poorly.  So I wouldn’t take any deck not that size because someone who could benefit from it should have it.  What is an 8 inch deck going to do for me?  Not going to skate it, not going to bother selling it, so give it to someone else.  My trucks are too wide for that and I’m never going to wear these things out.  Although covid changed that a little, so I will need new trucks in 2 years instead of 4 or 5, big deal. 
So it might not be entitlement, it could be selflessness.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2021, 07:30:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Krux.... Gotcha !
or Royal

Vds

• Rep: -43
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2021, 07:53:09 PM »
Nike, converse, element , rip n nip,

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2021, 08:28:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Krux.... Gotcha !
[close]
or Royal

Gotta be Destructo.

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2021, 08:42:44 PM »
Had a friend try to set me up with a company called Chemical Storm, even gave me a set of wheels I've never used. Couldn't do it though, the idea of potentially repping a board with my name on it plus wearing/riding shit with skulls and flames as the graphics (their main go to) as a not-so-great skater seemed pretty wack to me

Lunker

• Rep: 4
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2021, 09:00:42 PM »
Aftermarket bushings and riser pads. Had some thrown in for free on separate occasions for spending above a threshold or something and it just seems like too much hassle to switch up a setup just because the shits were free.