Author Topic: Kader on adidas confirmed  (Read 11082 times)

HugeBodBoyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Kader on adidas confirmed
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2021, 06:31:42 AM »
@urbneathme gets it. Some of you dudes upset over nothing. Dude posted his venmo asking for money and some took it way to seriously. Who cares.I thought it was hilarious. I laughed it off and kept watching more stories until I got depressed because IG can really suck your soul sometime.

Anyways, let Kader live. Dude is 18 and living pretty chill. More power to him.

I cannot even imagine what I would be like at age 18 in this environment...not to mention being talented as well. Definitely more power to him. People that apply their worldview/prism to other's lives are probably gonna be outraged or disappointed.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2021, 06:34:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Better than vans for sure. Black skaters looks good in adidas, vans is more for hersh skaters and looks gross to me.
[close]
As I’m a black skater I’m not offended by this an understand it at the same time. But I disagree ppl like Justin Henry look great in vans. Younger Kader pulled off vans well but I think with his grown man style with his dreads adidas is a great fit for him.

Yeah... Definitely has a lot less to do with race and more about individual style. Vans don't look gross when they're on a black person's feet.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2021, 06:56:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Seeing Carl in adidas today felt so wrong. He’s like one of the main guys that’s gotten me hyped on nikes lately. Could overall be a good move of adidas gathers up a solid younger crew of more steezy/trendy guys. I’d be down for some new adidas models that don’t look like soccer shoes
[close]
I think Nike has been shedding some of their flow team.  Carl is now getting adidas and Adrianne Sloboh is getting Cariumas.
[close]

They’re shedding WAY more than the flow team. Try all the employees that built the brand, the original TMs, they just laid off all the reps in Europe this week as well. With their new CEO and direct to consumer plan, skating no longer fits their model. If you’re going to support a corporate brand at least make it /// or Vans as they are still investing in the skate culture.

Not surprised.

Culture killer cunts.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2021, 07:25:45 AM »
Psyched for Kader, and pleasantly surprised by Carl.  The work Adidas puts into their edits, travel, etc shows that they seem to care a lot more about the culture.  I would throw NB into that too.  Nike has had some good edits, but it's all to Johnny Wilson's credit.

Not sure if I can buy Ishod's shoe like I was planning on after hearing all this terrible shit.  Might have to keep running Tyshawn's.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2021, 07:46:33 AM »
Psyched for Kader, and pleasantly surprised by Carl.  The work Adidas puts into their edits, travel, etc shows that they seem to care a lot more about the culture.  I would throw NB into that too.  Nike has had some good edits, but it's all to Johnny Wilson's credit.

Not sure if I can buy Ishod's shoe like I was planning on after hearing all this terrible shit.  Might have to keep running Tyshawn's.

A company who shamelessly sponsors any scumbag, abuser and rapist that will make them a buck. They make the dreaded crail look saintly.

The slave labor and little kids growing up with deformed fingers from working around the clock in child labor camps.

Culture killing skateboarding slowly then dumping it cos it not profitable.

How anyone can fuck with nike is beyond me.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2021, 08:38:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A company who shamelessly sponsors any scumbag, abuser and rapist that will make them a buck. They make the dreaded crail look saintly.

The slave labor and little kids growing up with deformed fingers from working around the clock in child labor camps.

Agreed. All i think of when I see the swoosh these days is the cultural genocide of the Uyghur people. Fuck Nike.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Vds

• Rep: -46
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2021, 08:39:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same question.  Why the fuck people fuck with nike.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2021, 11:32:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

real question, that i feel like i never actually see answered; what shoes are you skating right now? from my research, there's not a single skate company that doesn't use foreign manufacturing. nike, adidas, new balance, vans, etnies, emerica, state. they all use foreign made products. why does nike get shit on for using slave labor and state gets a pass? because state is more skater owned?

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Grind King Rims

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2021, 11:45:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Same question.  Why the fuck people fuck with nike.

Cuz they're Nikes

Grind King Rims

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2021, 11:53:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

real question, that i feel like i never actually see answered; what shoes are you skating right now? from my research, there's not a single skate company that doesn't use foreign manufacturing. nike, adidas, new balance, vans, etnies, emerica, state. they all use foreign made products. why does nike get shit on for using slave labor and state gets a pass? because state is more skater owned?

You're using "foreign manufacturing" and "slave labour" interchangeably here, and there's important distinctions between those two. For example, Last Resort is being manufactured in Vietnam, by Vietnamese adults. Nike on the other hand has been caught multiple times for large scale child labour. I'm not trying to come at you, but it shows a bit of Western bias to immediately assume that "made in [Asian country]" immediately means slave labour.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »

Couldnt agree with this more, and if its all just a front they do a damn good job at it

Expand Quote

[close]

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2021, 12:07:46 PM »
Silverado of craigslist

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2021, 12:44:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You're using "foreign manufacturing" and "slave labour" interchangeably here, and there's important distinctions between those two. For example, Last Resort is being manufactured in Vietnam, by Vietnamese adults. Nike on the other hand has been caught multiple times for large scale child labour. I'm not trying to come at you, but it shows a bit of Western bias to immediately assume that "made in [Asian country]" immediately means slave labour.

that's true, and you're totally right, i was using them interchangeably and that's not fair.

maybe it's more accurate to ask why slave labor is bad when its nike, but when kader gets on adidas, no one is talking about how adidas does the same thing.

https://medium.com/modefica-global/from-apple-to-adidas-brands-use-ethnic-minority-slave-labor-in-china-cd3ce41864ac

i understand not supporting nike because you think they're bad for skating, but i feel like we should be applying the same lens to other companies too.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2021, 01:27:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

that's true, and you're totally right, i was using them interchangeably and that's not fair.

maybe it's more accurate to ask why slave labor is bad when its nike, but when kader gets on adidas, no one is talking about how adidas does the same thing.

https://medium.com/modefica-global/from-apple-to-adidas-brands-use-ethnic-minority-slave-labor-in-china-cd3ce41864ac

i understand not supporting nike because you think they're bad for skating, but i feel like we should be applying the same lens to other companies too.

Nike are by every metric the worst.

As mentioned most of the companies mentioned used foreign labor. Some do use slave conditions but it's still nowhere in the magnitude of Nike.

Lesser of several evils and all that.

Those atrocities aside.....

They completely fucked up skateboarding. I've said it time and time again on here and got kook'd hard everytime. But the proof is in the pudding now.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2322
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2021, 02:37:46 PM »
They completely fucked up skateboarding. I've said it time and time again on here and got kook'd hard everytime. But the proof is in the pudding now.
Not to side track this thread from its current diversion, but...
Richard’s comment has me thinking; anybody else here curious about what slave labor flavored pudding would taste like, or am I alone in that?
I imagine it’s likely not as sweet as some of the more traditional custard recipes.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2021, 02:39:10 PM »
They completely fucked up skateboarding.

How so?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2021, 02:40:59 PM »
wtyf

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2021, 02:44:43 PM »
Fuck a Nike!

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2021, 06:12:43 PM »
 :)

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2021, 07:51:48 PM »
The world's first fair trade certified footwear company was founded in 2009.

There was literally no fair trade footwear before then. All of your favourite shoe companies growing up were just as fucked (and probably still are).

fucking, joy

• Rep: 13
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2021, 09:31:27 PM »
this conversation reminds me of that time Tony Tave was on the Bunt going off on brands that insert themselves into skating — pump money into whatever profit they can make and dip, and then in the same breath said he skating in Nikes

Big_Dingus

• Rep: 5
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2021, 12:03:54 AM »
Is Ah-Dee-Das a German company?

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2021, 01:07:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Better than vans for sure. Black skaters looks good in adidas, vans is more for hersh skaters and looks gross to me.
[close]
As I’m a black skater I’m not offended by this an understand it at the same time. But I disagree ppl like Justin Henry look great in vans. Younger Kader pulled off vans well but I think with his grown man style with his dreads adidas is a great fit for him.
Stafhon Boca looks pretty good in vans tho, and he's not hesh at all

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -84
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2021, 05:51:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

As mentioned most of the companies mentioned used foreign labor. Some do use slave conditions but it's still nowhere in the magnitude of Nike.

Just want to add to this by saying I think it’s also a matter of scale that brings people attention more to one company corporation than another. Also, Nikes are made in Vietnam too.

ninformatic

• Rep: -7
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2021, 05:57:34 AM »
The Adidas Skateboarding website is garbage, shoes, clothes and product photography are so bad, I couldn't stay for more than 5 minutes, I hope they change that shit.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2021, 06:14:42 AM »
For all you guys wondering why we shit on Nike, even though everyone is using sweatshop labor to some degree or another

Nike started the ball rolling. They were one of the first to move production overseas, and pulled everyone else downwards in an effort to compete.

They are the biggest, and have the longest recurring history of abuses. Abuses that came to light in the 90’s, swore they’d do better, and now using prison labor. They have had documents uncovered showing how each component of a shoe is made down to hundredths of a second. They made exploitation into a science.

That is besides them buying their way into skating 3 times, after being rejected twice.

There is no ethical consumption under this model that demands insane corporate profits, and NIKE blazed the way for it.
Fuck Nike forever

(Sorry, editing mistake. I addressed what i was going to say above)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:05:51 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2021, 06:21:20 AM »
and....

?

I was actually really into what you wrote then it ended suddenly!

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 153
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2021, 06:39:57 AM »
and....

?

I was actually really into what you wrote then it ended suddenly!

He wanted you to know he could keep going.

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2021, 07:12:13 AM »
https://www.fastcompany.com/90279693/did-a-slave-make-your-sneakers-the-answer-is-probably

Adidas is doing better way than Nike but technically they are both doing way better than the average company when it comes to slave labor and working conditions. Skate shoes brands are doing the same thing because everyone is using forced labor. Also it’s not like factories had good working conditions before moving to Asia. This doesn’t make it ok. I think it’s vile and I wish there was a way to fix the consumerist society we live but we have trapped ourselves simply by wanting more/new stuff.

Shoes and clothes are just the tip of the ice berg though. Pretty much everything you own or consume has a pretty high chance of being produced by slave labor or child labor.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ilab/reports/child-labor/list-of-goods-print

Your clothes, your phone, your computer, your car, your skate product, it’s all being produced in shitty working conditions. This isn’t even to mention the massive impact it’s having on the environment.

Somewhat unrelated but also a way to fight back is to dumpster dive. I know it sounds gross but if you look up how to do it properly it’s not that bad. This is how I get most of my food, one, because it’s free, and two, because I don’t want to support the machine if possible. I also dumpster dive a fair amount of my clothes from Salvation Army. They get too much so they end up throwing out a lot of good shit.

Sorry for the rant. It would be interesting to get stats on skater owned companies but it seems like Adidas may be the best choice if you want to support working conditions.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2021, 07:18:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just want to add to this by saying I think it’s also a matter of scale that brings people attention more to one company corporation than another. Also, Nikes are made in Vietnam too.

This, Nike or Adidas don't won the factories or work in only 1 country, those factories are huge and work for all the big corps most of the times. I've been to Vietnam a few times and for example in one of the factories I've visited you have the Adidas office in between the Nike and Reebok office... Huge fucking factories with over 20000 employees. I got told that they had an even bigger one from the same group in Indonesia, like twice the size. When the shifts end it's like a sea of people going home, it's seriously mental. Conditions wise, I've seen the full production line and I didn't see anything wrong happening.
it looked like any other factory I've visited in Europe, just a lot warmed and moist (because Vietnam is like that), lots of fans and water bottles, and actually quite automated too. People work 8h shifts with lunch break and that's it. Of course it's a shitty job, but Factory work it's a shitty job everywhere else in the world. And no, no underaged kids (I wish I had 1$ for each time people ask me that).

Also, actually Chinese factories are usually a bit more expensive to produce than Vietnam for example, they have more knowledge/experience in the shoe making business and their labor price is steeper.
I've said this before here, but those big corps are more than cautious with the whole slave/child labor than ever, so they keep the factories under eye and regulated, even more after all the 90's scandals when no one really knew what was going on overseas. Now in this day and age, they are in the eyes of the world, and their reputation is stained already so they really try to keep their hands clean. I think the hardest thing to handle is actually the supply chain. Like, you can control the main factory, but they also work with other suppliers that produce parts for them, that's where the line gets blurry and you start loosing track of how or in what conditions they were made. Not sure how most Corps deal with that tbh...
(here's a good video that talks about that issue: )

But my point is, the big corps have a lot more resources to produce in factories that respect their policies, and smaller brands are left to work with factories that aren't as experienced and can do smaller quantities. Those factories aren't up to the standards of the big giants and I'm pretty sure they aren't as supervised as the big ones... So if you think that buying a Soletech or State, or wtvr other smaller brand means a more ethically made product, you're most likely wrong.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP