Author Topic: What's up with ACE bushings?  (Read 7768 times)

Mugen_G

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
What's up with ACE bushings?
« on: April 21, 2021, 09:56:26 AM »
So I got a new pair of ACE 33's.
I also got a set of Bones medium bushings along with them because yeah...

But then I came across quite a few posts of people claiming ACE stock bushings would eventually break in PERFECT for their geometry.

So I decided not to switch them out and just skate them without adjusting them from the factory.
I didn't TOUCH that kingpin nut.
They came flush with the kingpin sealed in a set of bags.

It's been about 3 weeks of skating them nearly everyday for at least an hour...

But they're just so strange...
They're soft, yet bouncy almost spring like feeling.
The turn is very surfy yet...stiff...
They will NOT bottom out, so no wheel bite BUT...
They also cause the outside wheels to LIFT off the ground when turning hard.

I haven't adjusted them yet because I don't think less than 20 hours of skating is enough to "break them in".

Should I adjust them? Or wait a couple of months?
And if I do adjust them, loosen or tighten...

My thunder's bushings felt very different.
But the trucks were way to small...143's

Frank and Fred

Re: What's up with ACE bushings?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 07:39:28 AM »
Never ridden 33s but on my Classic 44s and 55s it took about two sessions for them to feel great. I did also spend some considerable carpet time wiggling them back and fore while I browsed this here Shoes and Gear thread... Persian Rug on a hard wood floor...

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 07:52:20 AM »
Never ridden 33s but on my Classic 44s and 55s it took about two sessions for them to feel great. I did also spend some considerable carpet time wiggling them back and fore while I browsed this here Shoes and Gear thread... Persian Rug on a hard wood floor...

I heard it’ll take at least 3 days with a Turkish rug on laminate. Shag carpet on tile is ideal

Fhk

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 07:59:34 AM »
Just be grateful that you don't have the problem where the bushings getting squished and caught under the washer. It's probably similar to getting your nuts caught in your zipper (both aesthetically and mentally)

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 08:18:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I heard it’ll take at least 3 days with a Turkish rug on laminate. Shag carpet on tile is ideal

Thanks for the tip. I have some of the new Af1 55s coming in this weekend. Quick question though... I am a little concerned about the 'shag' brushing against my Swiss shields..... How was this for you? Your bearings hold up ok?

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2207
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 11:49:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

THIS is the high grade intel I come to the S&G board for.  ;D
You two...
Thanks for that. Just thanks.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 01:27:24 PM »
Ace bushings are magical. I run the ace low bushings in ventures and indys when I’m not skating aces. Idk what they’ve done differently from other bushings but they are magical

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 01:38:54 PM »
I just set up some new AF1’s size 55’s. First session was some curbs. 2nd session was strictly flatground.

They’re about halfway broken in I would say. They honestly didn’t bother me when skating flatground. Felt great. Stoked to have an 8.5 truck again.

Only annoying thing I’ve noticed is my back truck clicks when I turn sometimes. Anyone know what that clicking is? Not squeaking, it’s clicking. Really weird and have never had this issue in 20 years of skating.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 01:49:02 PM »
Only annoying thing I’ve noticed is my back truck clicks when I turn sometimes. Anyone know what that clicking is? Not squeaking, it’s clicking. Really weird and have never had this issue in 20 years of skating.
I've experienced the clicking and noticed that the washer under the bottom (boardside) bushing was moving during turns. I just mall grabbed the board by the hanger, and kinda jiggle it to create enough pressure to rotate the washer until it wouldn't move anymore and never heard that clicking again.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 08:02:12 PM »
 I bit the bullet and got some 66s from the local today. Set them up on a 9.18" deck, 58mm wheels and 1/8" risers... crazy wheel bite. I know they will firm up but I might wear out the Persian rug or my ankle cartilage as I break 'em in. 

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 08:39:46 PM »
Just be grateful that you don't have the problem where the bushings getting squished and caught under the washer. It's probably similar to getting your nuts caught in your zipper (both aesthetically and mentally)

franks and beans

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 08:54:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I've experienced the clicking and noticed that the washer under the bottom (boardside) bushing was moving during turns. I just mall grabbed the board by the hanger, and kinda jiggle it to create enough pressure to rotate the washer until it wouldn't move anymore and never heard that clicking again.

Yes.

Oddly enough I have seen dudes lose their mind over that clicking, but they didn't want to do anything about it besides change to different trucks.  Silly really when it can be such a simple and easy fix.

I know some others had put tape under the washer (on the baseplate) and round the kingpin too, which stopped it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mugen_G

• Rep: -5
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 09:21:23 PM »

Oop...
I just realized this ended up in shoes & gear...
Really weird because I swear I posted in the right place...
Thanks for the replies anyways...

I honestly don't know what to make of them...
But I guess it's time to start adjusting that KP nut and see if I can find a not so... bizarre... medium?
Honestly I kind of miss that dead flat response of the Thunders... :-\

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 09:39:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oop...
I just realized this ended up in shoes & gear...
Really weird because I swear I posted in the right place...
Thanks for the replies anyways...

I honestly don't know what to make of them...
But I guess it's time to start adjusting that KP nut and see if I can find a not so... bizarre... medium?
Honestly I kind of miss that dead flat response of the Thunders... :-\

I would say Shoes and Gear is exactly where this thread belongs.

And yes start messing with them and see what works for you.

Just remember only change one thing at a time so you know what you did, eg tighten trucks half a turn once, then skate for a session, etc.

If you have other bushings there, give them a go as it seems like the stock bushings might be a touch hard for what you want, or loosen them off a bit and see then.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 11:38:12 PM »
So I got a new pair of ACE 33's.
I also got a set of Bones medium bushings along with them because yeah...

But then I came across quite a few posts of people claiming ACE stock bushings would eventually break in PERFECT for their geometry.

So I decided not to switch them out and just skate them without adjusting them from the factory.
I didn't TOUCH that kingpin nut.
They came flush with the kingpin sealed in a set of bags.

It's been about 3 weeks of skating them nearly everyday for at least an hour...

But they're just so strange...
They're soft, yet bouncy almost spring like feeling.
The turn is very surfy yet...stiff...
They will NOT bottom out, so no wheel bite BUT...
They also cause the outside wheels to LIFT off the ground when turning hard.

I haven't adjusted them yet because I don't think less than 20 hours of skating is enough to "break them in".

Should I adjust them? Or wait a couple of months?
And if I do adjust them, loosen or tighten...

My thunder's bushings felt very different.
But the trucks were way to small...143's

Just tweak em however u like until they feel right. If u feel the need to adjust them then adjust them. What feels good is subjective so just crack on with it and see what feels good. U don't need validation whether or not to tighten/loosen your kingpin nut! ;)

Also Bones bushings don't fit on Ace trucks properly unless u run em with the original washers.

I just set up some new AF1’s size 55’s. First session was some curbs. 2nd session was strictly flatground.

They’re about halfway broken in I would say. They honestly didn’t bother me when skating flatground. Felt great. Stoked to have an 8.5 truck again.

This clicking issue has been covered so many times but to be fair there are well over 100 pages of Ace trucks jargon. Simply remove the top washer and voila! Problem solved...
Or put up with it and it should go after awhile - although I didn't have the patience for that shit so just removed the top washer. With the classics you can switch the top washer for a bones washer but the new AF1 top bushings are wider than the old classic top washer so the bones washer is too big.

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2023, 10:37:51 AM »
The clicking will go away. It drove me mad for some days with my new AF1 55s, but then it just stopped. Patience. Don't try any gimmicks, just put up with it and skate. It'll pass and won't come back.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2023, 11:32:48 AM »
Carpet wiggling talk only.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2023, 12:00:12 PM »
The clicking will go away. It drove me mad for some days with my new AF1 55s, but then it just stopped. Patience. Don't try any gimmicks, just put up with it and skate. It'll pass and won't come back.

Well it has been two years so hopefully it's cured by now.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2023, 01:19:24 PM »
lol i love the ACE madness on here - but from what ive read on here seems like the new AF1 has solved all the issues people had with Ace before?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2023, 02:56:32 PM »
lol i love the ACE madness on here - but from what ive read on here seems like the new AF1 has solved all the issues people had with Ace before?

one problem they did not solve is the occasional clicking + some people say the new bushings r too soft out of the box

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2023, 05:59:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

one problem they did not solve is the occasional clicking + some people say the new bushings r too soft out of the box

Isn't the click just the washer moving side to side, usually the top washer against the nut?

A little wax on the back of the nut before putting it on the kingpin usually helps this clear up easily.

I know others have different solutions including clear tape over the washer, then poke the hole in so the tape gets in around the kingpin, or using blu tak or something similar between metal washers / baseplate and washer / nut.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2023, 06:14:25 PM »
Anyone ever seen these bushings shipped from Ace / Mesa Distribution?

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2023, 07:20:26 PM »
Bones style bushings from Ace?  I just ordered some hard bushings and hollow 60s, they definitely didn't look like that.

Comments are turned off on that Instgram post too...

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2023, 07:56:32 PM »
Anyone ever seen these bushings shipped from Ace / Mesa Distribution?

I was wondering the same thing so I DM’d FuckWithYourTrucks. They had the same photo in their stories.

Not sure I understand whether or not they are Ace or Bones.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2023, 09:12:58 PM »
I just got classic 44s...first time ace rider, and im about 4 sessions in and my bushings feel perfect. Nut is tightened flush with the kingpin. I noticed the 1st session they were turning very delayed feeling but they feel perfect and are turning very nice and sharp for me now. Hopefully the keep getting better with time

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2023, 10:07:53 PM »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2023, 10:17:28 PM »
Not sure I understand whether or not they are Ace or Bones.

I DM'd right before I posted above.  The response was:

"Ace prototypes , same as bones bushings but barrel bottom and no built in washer . Maybe available spring 2024"

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2023, 12:44:33 AM »
yellow ones look like hard boiled eggs. "this is your brain on drugs", wait those eggs are fried.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2023, 03:28:00 AM »
Ace are the only trucks i've never thought about a 'break in period' with. The 44 Classics i'm on right now were perfect from day 1.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2023, 05:45:10 AM »
i switched them out for indy bushings so idk
gonna replace the chewed bushings in my indys with the ace stock ones, will let you know how that works