Author Topic: Energy Drink Hats  (Read 6226 times)

689r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Energy Drink Hats
« on: May 26, 2021, 04:52:18 AM »
So, what's the deal with these?  Who was the first energy drink hat skater?  How much do they get paid?  Do they get paid less if they wear the hat backwards (lol)?  Why do more contest skaters wear them than street skaters (I think I know the answer to this one)? Why do more tranny skaters seem to wear them (potentially related to the previous question)?

At the end of men's park at Dew Tour, Zion, Sheckler, Midler and Foy were all in a big red bull hat wearing group and it just looked so lame.  Got me thinking about the incentives these skaters face. I know people like GT and Ishod are sponsored by monster, but don't wear the hats.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: Energy Drink Hats
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 06:00:07 AM »
I’d look like a dickhead and wear the hat for 100k

Ghost Face

• Rep: 108
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 06:15:46 AM »
Me too. Give me all the money you want and I'll flash your damn logo.

You ever see the hat swopping at Nascar when doing interviews? Now that's another level.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 06:22:47 AM »
i think i’m in the “fuck it, give me the money” camp, but there is something about having the entirety of your career partially obscured by a red bull logo that makes it feel like it’s maybe not worth it

Ghost Face

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 06:29:17 AM »
i think i’m in the “fuck it, give me the money” camp, but there is something about having the entirety of your career partially obscured by a red bull logo that makes it feel like it’s maybe not worth it

But on RB it's the extras that would make it worth it. Travel budget, weird location shoots, cross over events, recovery, nutrition and fitness help. Having RB behind you opens so many doors. You want me to wear your cap so I can get these benefits? Sign me up.

Also, you get to chose your gear and they brand it for you.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 06:32:21 AM »
I know people like GT and Ishod are sponsored by monster, but don't wear the hats.

They have always had a monster patch somewhere, either in the t-shirt sleeve or on beanies, but that also has to be in sight.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Ghost Face

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 06:35:28 AM »
Expand Quote
I know people like GT and Ishod are sponsored by monster, but don't wear the hats.
[close]

They have always had a monster patch somewhere, either in the t-shirt sleeve or on beanies, but that also has to be in sight.

I think I remember Cobra Cole said he took a slightly lower cheque because he only wore Monster wrist bands instead of headgear. If he wore a cap he'd get paid more.

nickpaolucci

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 06:37:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i've never noticed this. got any examples?

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 06:41:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm sure there's tons, but the one I remember off the top of my head is Ishod skating a mini and he has a Monster logo embroidered in the back of his pants.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 64
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 06:44:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think I remember Cobra Cole said he took a slightly lower cheque because he only wore Monster wrist bands instead of headgear. If he wore a cap he'd get paid more.

Would be interested in reading this.
Around that same DC revamp time I remember him wearing baseball tees that looked to be DC ones with custom Monster branding on chest too.

sketchyrider

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 06:48:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm sure there's tons, but the one I remember off the top of my head is Ishod skating a mini and he has a Monster logo embroidered in the back of his pants.

yeah i def saw Ishod with some Monster branded jorts

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 06:51:22 AM »
I get random photo incentive checks in the mail from Monster for my monster dong, but I just put the checks in the shredder because I'm pretty sure it's a case of mistaken identity.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 06:51:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Ghost Face

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 06:52:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Would be interested in reading this.
Around that same DC revamp time I remember him wearing baseball tees that looked to be DC ones with custom Monster branding on chest too.

From what I know none of these brands make clothing. You specify your gear that your like, Beanie or cap or helmet, vests/tees/hoodies, wrists bands etc and they then brand them for you.

Ishod usually wears Nike caps with a M embraided on the side.

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 06:53:11 AM »
One thing I learned about sponsorship with companies like Redbull and Monster is that they literally dictate in their contracts where you show the logo (most go with the hat). Another thing I think is interesting that in snowboarding (might be true in skateboarding) sponsors will sometimes actually tell you where exactly to put their sticker on your board lol.

conqueso

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2021, 06:57:59 AM »
Do you think ishod had to send in all his jorts to the monster headquarters for custom embroidery? Or did they make him up some fresh pairs?

Ghost Face

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2021, 07:02:56 AM »
Do you think ishod had to send in all his jorts to the monster headquarters for custom embroidery? Or did they make him up some fresh pairs?

Yo, Monster TM. Here's my laundry. While you're at it, sew some green M's on there.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 23
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2021, 07:04:18 AM »
I know Monster makes little sticky patches that the riders can just place on whatever they are wearing at the time. The next day they can take the patch of and put it on the next shirt. You'll see Raven wearing one on the sleeve of his white tee, or Ishod on the pants or whatever.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 07:12:14 AM »
Redbull has a full clothing line. I always appreciated how Torey made the effort to switch up his Redbull hat every time. If you're all rocking the same dad hat like FoyZion+crew at the end of Dew tour.

I'm surprised the energy drink hat never took off a weird trend, like how people started putting stickers on their boards like sponsored skaters do. Or like, if you want to ride for Nike, buy your own nikes to film in first. So if you want to ride for Redbull, buy your own Redbull hats so you get noticed.

Ghost Face

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 07:19:13 AM »
Redbull has a full COLLAB clothing line. I always appreciated how Torey made the effort to switch up his Redbull hat every time. If you're all rocking the same dad hat like FoyZion+crew at the end of Dew tour.

I'm surprised the energy drink hat never took off a weird trend, like how people started putting stickers on their boards like sponsored skaters do. Or like, if you want to ride for Nike, buy your own nikes to film in first. So if you want to ride for Redbull, buy your own Redbull hats so you get noticed.

RB has collab ranges with other sports teams/brands. they don't have a stock standard RB cap or beanie. Those are made for the athletes.

fortunecattlesteakhouse

• Rep: 91
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 07:23:38 AM »
shit is embarrassing. might as well sk9 in a bk crown

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2021, 07:25:45 AM »
It’s definitely kooky wearing a Monster/Redbull hat, but these energy drink brands are some of the only brands that are giving health insurance to their riders.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2021, 07:28:18 AM »
It’s definitely kooky wearing a Monster/Redbull hat, but these energy drink brands are some of the only brands that are giving health insurance to their riders.

Now that's a real tragedy.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2021, 07:31:58 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that Jamie Foy makes close to $5000 a month for wearing the Red Bull hat at all times.

Yea so $5,000 X 12 = 60,000

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2021, 07:34:25 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that Jamie Foy makes close to $5000 a month for wearing the Red Bull hat at all times.

Not a bad concession to make in my opinion.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2021, 07:35:26 AM »
Two thoughts on this

Seems like they could at least come up with better or alternative logos. The logos are all so ugly with bad colors

I was watching dew Olympic thing and told my wife that skaters in these things mostly look like golf or tennis pros which is so funny. Looks comfortable though.

I think it’s way more jereme Rogers used to get 10k prob 15 years ago

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2021, 07:48:50 AM »

[/url]

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2021, 07:56:26 AM »
ishod gets like 6k a month from monster

I would be more than happy to wear a monster logo on my hat for 6k a month

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2021, 07:57:54 AM »
Two thoughts on this

Seems like they could at least come up with better or alternative logos. The logos are all so ugly with bad colors

I was watching dew Olympic thing and told my wife that skaters in these things mostly look like golf or tennis pros which is so funny. Looks comfortable though.

Expand Quote

[close]

I think it’s way more jereme Rogers used to get 10k prob 15 years ago

You might be right. But back in the early 2000's, some skaters were getting exorbitant amounts of money from their sponsors. I remember reading a interview with Jereme and he said he was making close to $35,000 to $50,000 a month.

For most dudes, numbers like that aren't possible anymore unless your Nyjah

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2021, 08:03:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But on RB it's the extras that would make it worth it. Travel budget, weird location shoots, cross over events, recovery, nutrition and fitness help. Having RB behind you opens so many doors. You want me to wear your cap so I can get these benefits? Sign me up.

Also, you get to chose your gear and they brand it for you.
i agree with all of that, but it's like getting to go to an amazing studio and make records but then on every record someone goes "sponsored by red bull" over top of each track. i'd maybe just rather make one in my basement and take my chances. it'll sound cooler 30 years later