Author Topic: Pets dying sucks  (Read 1200 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Pets dying sucks
« on: June 24, 2021, 09:00:39 AM »
Soo.. I've been a lot less active here the last few months. My son's baseball season started and I coach 1B and outfield. Both of my dogs have also been going to the vet a lot also. One bloated up really bad, and the other has had constant eye infections. He's had a few other random issues in the last year that were unexplained. The bloated dog, I was told may have Cushing's disease, and that also just testing to be sure, would cost me thousands (which I don't have, because my wife been furloughed for the past year AND I put a lot of money into my house - so I could get it reassessed and get the value up , to drop the PMI and thus my house payment. Well last week, got it done and my house went up $75k in value, so now I've got a decent chunk of equity). My younger dog has apparently an auto immune thing going on, so she is on small doses of dog roids, which have helped immensely and she's also gaining weight finally. The older bloated boy dog... vet told me not to worry as of yet, as he seemed totally normal. (this was over a month ago). Anyway, about 2 weeks ago (Sunday morning), my boy was acting kind of weird, and so my wife put him on the bed to sleep with me, since he's been my ultimate sidekick since 2008. We slept forehead to forehead for a few hours (he's a big snuggler but got banned from the bed for peeing in his sleep a few months ago). Next day (Monday), he kept pacing around the house and would only lay down for an hour at a time, BUT would play with his ball and stuff. Tuesday, more of the same... panting, pacing, still trying to be interested in the ball. But then we saw blood... from a bubble looking thing by his butt. Called the vet, closed. So, scheduled visit on Wednesday afternoon. Took him to the vet, waited and waited. Went out to dinner... I feel like we knew it was not good because we just reminisced about when we got him etc. The vet called, and bleeding was from a tumor, she also felt other lumps around that area. Said she was 99% positive on the Cushings disease also, but that it was likely that he is riddled with cancer and his panting and pacing was because of his mega discomfort and that he would probably only last a few more days regardless. Also, "Even if you had $8,000 to find out all of these things, he is in such bad shape that he likely would not survive the anasthesia." Pretty crushed on the spot. So, she gave us pain meds to hopefully get him through 2 more days, so we could deal with it on Saturday. Went to work on Thursday... about 2 hours in, my wife told me he was bleeding all over the place and pacing and panting. So I went home and he looked horrible. Plus, he started doing this head tilt thing. His head would tilt left, then his right eye would blink a lot. Obviously something else going on - and not good. We made the call to get it over with that day. I told my wife I needed to take him on one last journey, as this guy has been my sidekick since 2008. Drove him around for a while, then took him to a park by a river to just let him do whatever he wanted. He perked up (head stopped tilting also) and had fun. Wishful thinking for me, I thought "maybe he is ok!" But we got home and same thing. My little man felt like shit for sure. Sat with him on my lap right up until we had to go. Took him in and did the deed that I hate. I've been a mess ever since (1 week now). Best friend I've ever had. They said they would give me a paw print of his and I'm getting his ashes also. I'll probably get the paw print tattooed on me, if not a portrait of him. Kinda prefer a portrait really. Not sure where I would do this yet - still too new of information for me to handle. I am also proud of my son, who was a disaster over this. He had a baseball game the same night our dog died, and I told him "Obviously we don't have to go if you don't want to", and he said he wanted to play, to keep busy to not think about this. First death he's dealt with and I think he handled it as pro as he could. He went 2 for 3 and knocked in 2 runs. You could tell he was hurting though. I feel like he did it for me, to keep me busy. To a degree.

Also, long story long, when I moved to NZ (where wife is from).. we went to just look at dogs, about 3 weeks in and I saw him. I was like "wow look at this little guy" but we left, as , at the time we weren't looking for a dog. About a month later, we WERE looking for a dog, and went back to that store, he was there. "That little guy is still here!" I said to my wife. He was curled up, looking depressed (to me). As soon as she handed him to me, he started licking my face wildly and I just handed them my credit card. They handed me his information and he was born on the day that I arrived in NZ, which I thought was cool. Rode on my lap all the way home. We had planned nothing about owning a dog, so that night I picked him up and stuffed him under the blanket by my right ribs. This is where he slept always until a month ago when he peed the bed. I named him "Reilly" after Terry O'Reilly, hockey player from the Bruins. He went with me everywhere and I mean everywhere. I've never felt the loyalty and love that he gave, from any human ever in my life. Never got mad at me, never bit me, ALWAYS happy to see me. Always fun and wanted to play, always. ALWAYS sat on my lap and snuggled every day of his life. When we moved back to America, I paid $4k to get him and my other dog back here with us. Poor doggies on a 14 hour flight and then a 3 day drive. At 4 years old, he suffered from intervertebral disc disease (more or less his spine busted and was leaking fluid, thus was going paralyzed). I whipped out the CC again and paid $5k to try the hopefully-successful-surgery. It was successful and I got almost another 9 years out of him. He would jump in the pool and chase every animal he could find. Loved walks and rides in the car. Everyone loved him, especially me. Feel 100% lost without him. Time seems like its moving slower and I feel incomplete. Would have been 13 next week - me and my son had planned to buy him party hats to celebrate becoming 13 but to no avail. I love animals more than people by far - drives my wife nuts because I can't see a dog without stopping to try to meet it. I try to feed birds on sight, I'll feed squirrels, groundhogs, raccoons, fish etc.

Love your pets - their time is WAY too short. Make it special. Animals rule.

RIP Reilly 7/2/08 - 6/17/21

P.S. my girl dog has been doing better health wise, but also seems lost without my man. She is the complete opposite of him - hates attention unless its a walk, and if you pet her more than she likes, she leaves the room, lol. Full of personality at least.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
Re: Pets dying sucks
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 10:12:59 AM »
It's horrible losing any pet, but especially tough to deal with when you lose somebody with such a big personality and a strong bond like you had with your dude. Sorry you went through it man, back in October I lost my stinky old beagle who had been around since 2005. Still not quite ready to fill the empty space he left behind, but am definitely coming around and look for pups every now and then...
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Eggie Vedder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 10:48:41 AM »
I’m so sorry for your loss. I lost my childhood dog to Cushings and I have never cried so much in my life. We had him from when I was 6 to 23 so he had a long life but I don’t even remember a time before having him.

Now I have two cats that follow me around the house and constantly have to be on top of me. I know I’ll be wrecked when their time comes but life with pets is so much better than without. Losing them is immensely painful but the love you get while they’re around is definitely worth it. I have a tattoo for each cat and I know that will make me feel better even when they’re not around to be a memory of how rad they were.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 10:53:20 AM »
Boomer, my condolences. It is so, so hard to say goodbye to a friend like that. I know the feeling of preferring pets to people and for my wife and I, our cats are our children. We lost Wally, who was my wife's cat since just after high school, a couple years ago after a bout with diabetes. We adopted two other cats, a brother and sister, about a year later and the boy was gone within the year due to FIP. It was horrible to have to see one go so close to there other.

As horrible as it is, try and take consolation in the fact that you gave him a wonderful life and that he got to spend the last day with the person he cared about the most.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 11:58:55 AM »
All you can do is give them a good life
Sorry bro
listen to cosmic psychos

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
Boomer, I am terribly sorry for your loss. RIP Reilly. You did the best that you could to give him a great life. It is obvious you two were meant for each other. As I am reading this at work, I am holding back the tears, feeling strong lumps in my throat. Dogs are truly mans best friend. They're loyal, forgiving, and loving. I thank you for doing all you did for Reilly. I am a dog owner myself and have been my whole life, saying goodbye is so hard. I'll leave you with this link to a picture I like to share. I don't know how to post pictures on here but hope it works.

from r/wholesomememes

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 03:51:09 PM »
Sorry for your loss. I’ve lost alot of furry and not so furry friends over the years. I’m a vet assistant and I do all the pre/post work involved in euthanasias. This past year has been really hard with families having to choose only one person to be in the hospital for their pets final moments. There were even a handful of times when the owner couldn’t come in because they were too at risk and it would just be me and the Dr with them.

I can tell you gave your dog the best life ever and you were both lucky to have each other.

ramplocal

• Rep: 64
  • poser
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 05:01:45 PM »
So sorry you lost your family /best friend. It's so hard but all you can do is be thankful for the time you had them and know that you gave them their best life and they love you for it. I lost my dog a month ago and no ways around it, it fucking sucks. Just try to remember that they love you for being their best friend and you made their life great.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 07:14:00 PM »
Condolences. Just went through this with GF’s cat. He was my bro.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 11:06:02 PM »
Condolences boomer. I know how crushing losing a dog can be and it's so much harder when we can't help them

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 07:36:14 AM »
Thanks guys. I have felt like time is going slower than usual in my attempts to "stay busy to not deal with this". Doing all the jobs around the yard / house that I don't want to do.. just to keep busy. I don't think I will get another dog after this guy. Wouldn't be fair to the dog that I would be comparing him/her to what I considered perfection

ramplocal

• Rep: 64
  • poser
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 09:18:10 AM »
I hear you man, I am in the same boat, I love dogs and cats, all animals but losing my dog Victor was and is super fucking with me. Just do you. Go through the motions. I don't want another dog either and it is super hard, but if you do get another pet it probably won't be for awhile. Take care bro and have a good weekend

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 09:44:26 AM »
That's brutal dude. It's the worst part of pet ownership. But if there is a positive, if there is, it's that at least with our pets we can stop their pain, people can be sick for a long long time and it's terrible, but at least with our animals they get to go out, idk easier isn't the word, but it's not a long drawn out nightmare, in that way. We had a few family dogs that had to be put down, and it's the worst deal in the world but honestly, really, you should absolutely get another dog. I get not wanting to to but I think it really helps get thru the loss, but that one assholes opinion.
It's brutal dude, but obviously you know slap will be here to hear you out. And for you to vent to. Plus also yer family.
Also, thanks for the sign boomer.
Whoa. Danger.

Jagr

• Rep: 119
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 08:14:38 PM »
RIP Reilly <3

Banned from the room

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 09:02:24 PM »
This almost made me cry.

I'm sorry

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 12:02:30 PM »
We lost our beloved cat Lucky yesterday. Lucky was an indoor outdoor cat, who loved going into our backyard and chilling in our long driveway.  We rescued her on September 6th, 2019. I was working (911) when we got numerous calls of a cat that had been struck by a car and was dragging itself over to a nearby building. No owner was to be found, no collar or tags. In these situations, cops in this small town will typically have to euthanize the animal on scene, since no owner is present to take responsibility for emergency vet services. At the time, I thought it was a general vet fund and the cat needed a ride to the emergency vet, so I called my wife. My wife and 13 year old daughter went and picked up the cat and took her to the vet. She had a broken pelvis and was not doing great. She pulled through and we decided to keep her and eat the vet costs.
    When I woke up yesterday, our neighbor said one of the cats was attacked by two random dogs and was dead. I hoped (unfortunately) it was one of the 5 or so feral cats my wife feeds, and not our Lucky. My neighbor explained that she had heard a commotion in our double shared driveway, then saw a dog carrying a cat away next door. A passerby closed the gate behind the dog and told our neighbor it was a grey cat with a red collar. At that point I knew it was our girl.  Some new renters had moved in on Friday next door, and their two full sized dogs popped the gate and got out and wandered onto our side. I'm guessing Lucky was chilling and her guard was down, as she was good with dogs. I had to retrieve our beautiful girl from their backyard and give her to my inconsolable wife. I'm working on coming to terms with her violent passing in her safe place that she loved, and being angry at the renters and the landlords (who live across the street and recently bought the house to fix up and rent) who allowed dogs at the rental.  The only place I can find any solace is knowing that we gave her 2 years she wouldn't have otherwise had, had my wife not picked her up that night. She had a safe home where she was loved and taken care of. We could have not allowed her our, but she loved going in and out. We're getting her cremated, and I've picked out a nice urn for her.  I loved that cat. My thoughts go out to anyone dealing with loss of a pet now. It sucks.

The day we brought her home

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 12:09:42 PM by Sonny Paluso »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2021, 12:14:58 PM »
@Sonny Paluso hurts my heart to read that as a cat lover with two of them running my house right now. You did so much to give her a good life and I can tell from the pics how happy and loved she was.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2021, 12:34:42 PM »
Thanks man. I appreciate that

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1384
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2021, 01:33:07 PM »
That's super rough dude, I'm hugging my indoor cats when i get home

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2021, 02:38:16 PM »
I had my dog articulated. Best money I've ever spent and the best thing I own.

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2021, 02:38:58 PM »
another one...

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2021, 03:10:02 PM »
rip lucky. my cats at a family friends house. hope the furballs alright

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2021, 04:04:01 PM »
RIP Lucky. Sorry for your family’s loss, Sonny Paluso.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2021, 05:39:44 PM »
 Thank you all. ❤

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2021, 06:17:11 PM »
I had my dog articulated. Best money I've ever spent and the best thing I own.

That’s hectic but backing it

I tiled this house years ago full old couple and they had all these stuffed dogs like their dead pets
The skeleton is way classier

Sorry about your cat Sonny that’s a pretty shit go
Haven’t had a cat for years more dog person but I don’t like, hate them or anything
Animals are sick
listen to cosmic psychos

Jagr

• Rep: 119
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2021, 08:09:21 PM »
RIP Lucky. She sounds like a great cat. Love the pic of you hugging her.

joelynnpamplin

• Rep: 0
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2022, 12:04:45 AM »
I understand this pain. When I lost my second pet, it was such a blow that I needed professional help. I'm very used to having a faithful dog meet me after work. However, at the end of his life, he suffered a lot. He was ill and could not breathe normally. I took him to all the veterinarians in the state, but everyone threw up their hands and tried to tell me to accept his imminent demise. It all happened in the fall. Autumn is already a difficult time for me when I experience depressive states. That autumn was the worst in my life. I often called social workers at home. A four-year bachelor's degree in social work or a human services degree is necessary, so I knew that a professional assistant would come to me to provide me with psychological support. I feel better now, but I still miss Bobby.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:14:41 AM by joelynnpamplin »

Minigolf Fanatic

• Rep: 6
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2022, 11:03:54 AM »
Lost my 14 year old German Shepard, Clementine and my 16 year old Shepard/Retriever mix, Steely within a month of each other last year. Soul crushing. I feel for you guys and your loss. Much love to our furry companions, they really do make the world a much better place.

Banned from the room

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2022, 01:05:16 PM »
We lost our beloved cat Lucky yesterday. Lucky was an indoor outdoor cat, who loved going into our backyard and chilling in our long driveway.  We rescued her on September 6th, 2019. I was working (911) when we got numerous calls of a cat that had been struck by a car and was dragging itself over to a nearby building. No owner was to be found, no collar or tags. In these situations, cops in this small town will typically have to euthanize the animal on scene, since no owner is present to take responsibility for emergency vet services. At the time, I thought it was a general vet fund and the cat needed a ride to the emergency vet, so I called my wife. My wife and 13 year old daughter went and picked up the cat and took her to the vet. She had a broken pelvis and was not doing great. She pulled through and we decided to keep her and eat the vet costs.
    When I woke up yesterday, our neighbor said one of the cats was attacked by two random dogs and was dead. I hoped (unfortunately) it was one of the 5 or so feral cats my wife feeds, and not our Lucky. My neighbor explained that she had heard a commotion in our double shared driveway, then saw a dog carrying a cat away next door. A passerby closed the gate behind the dog and told our neighbor it was a grey cat with a red collar. At that point I knew it was our girl.  Some new renters had moved in on Friday next door, and their two full sized dogs popped the gate and got out and wandered onto our side. I'm guessing Lucky was chilling and her guard was down, as she was good with dogs. I had to retrieve our beautiful girl from their backyard and give her to my inconsolable wife. I'm working on coming to terms with her violent passing in her safe place that she loved, and being angry at the renters and the landlords (who live across the street and recently bought the house to fix up and rent) who allowed dogs at the rental.  The only place I can find any solace is knowing that we gave her 2 years she wouldn't have otherwise had, had my wife not picked her up that night. She had a safe home where she was loved and taken care of. We could have not allowed her our, but she loved going in and out. We're getting her cremated, and I've picked out a nice urn for her.  I loved that cat. My thoughts go out to anyone dealing with loss of a pet now. It sucks.

The day we brought her home

Omg. I’m so sorry.

I’m sorry everyone

Fhk

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2022, 01:20:35 PM »
I’m so truly sorry to hear this OKB..  :(