Author Topic: Big Wheel Appreciation Thread  (Read 10973 times)

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Big Wheel Appreciation Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2021, 06:30:34 PM »
Have a set of 57mm for pole jams and crusty chuddy spots, love the ease of little effort.
Dueces Bitch's

gabbesucks

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2021, 04:17:47 AM »
Just ordered some 60mm spitfire classics, stoked, will post the setup when I get them

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2021, 05:26:43 AM »
Just ordered some 60mm spitfire classics, stoked, will post the setup when I get them

What a relief...I was about to have you buy 58mm so we could trade. I am glad I don’t have to ship anything and you got the wheels you needed. Now, let’s mentally skate from The Federal Building to UPENN hitting brown benches and Drexel rail along the way...

gabbesucks

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2021, 05:50:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What a relief...I was about to have you buy 58mm so we could trade. I am glad I don’t have to ship anything and you got the wheels you needed. Now, let’s mentally skate from The Federal Building to UPENN hitting brown benches and Drexel rail along the way...

I’m gonna beat this god damned street cleaner!

gabbesucks

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2021, 02:54:54 AM »

animalflesh

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2021, 05:37:16 AM »
A+

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2021, 05:38:24 AM »
Kristian svitak rode some pretty big wheels in his black label parts

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2021, 08:55:05 PM »
I ride 58mm f4s. I love big wheels

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2021, 11:16:37 AM »
I posted this in the wheels thread also but I'm about to go from NFG 95a 60mm Vees (33.5mm wide) to some Mini Cubics (95a 64mm diameter 57mm wide). To account for the ~70% increase in wheel width I'm going to have to assemble a new setup for them; I'm currently thinking of getting some Indy 109s and an 8.75" wide board but if anyone else has other suggestions I'm open to them. I'm probably not going to set up a Powell replica board, I already have a Mountain with some Rat Bones on them that is serving me well.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2021, 01:09:37 PM »
I posted this in the wheels thread also but I'm about to go from NFG 95a 60mm Vees (33.5mm wide) to some Mini Cubics (95a 64mm diameter 57mm wide). To account for the ~70% increase in wheel width I'm going to have to assemble a new setup for them; I'm currently thinking of getting some Indy 109s and an 8.75" wide board but if anyone else has other suggestions I'm open to them. I'm probably not going to set up a Powell replica board, I already have a Mountain with some Rat Bones on them that is serving me well.
Put them on inside out and have a tank board...
109s seem like they might be too narrow even with almost double wide wheels. Freestylers use 109s with kind of wide wheels (I think about 40mm) but ride boards under 7.5

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2021, 01:32:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
109s seem like they might be too narrow even with almost double wide wheels. Freestylers use 109s with kind of wide wheels (I think about 40mm) but ride boards under 7.5

Mini Cubics inside out sound ridiculous, I may have to try that out.

I hope you're right about the 109s being too narrow, I would prefer to not have to get a new set of trucks if I can help it. I have a bunch of 7.625" wide trucks sitting in my garage from the early 2000s when it was unheard of to skate a board wider than an 8", I'm hoping I'll be able to get away with using one of those. I found a set of Orions amongst the bunch that have piqued my curiosity as of late, I also found a set of Webb trucks lol. I did my math to figure out how big of a board I'll need with the Mini Cubics based on their overall width and not the distance from the outer bearing mount to the outer edge of the wheel, I suppose I'll have to do my math over again when they get here on Monday.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2021, 01:00:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Holy shit guys they are way bigger than I expected this is going to be insane

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2021, 02:30:18 PM »
That's a thing of beauty. I notice the contact patches are dirty, how's it riding?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2021, 02:57:20 PM »
That's a thing of beauty. I notice the contact patches are dirty, how's it riding?

They ride well. There's a significant increase in momentum from the NFG 60mm Vees I was riding before, which will certainly come in handy. They are pretty heavy, so if I'm going to ollie or 180 or something like that I have to do it with some real conviction, they demand more physical effort to operate for sure. I haven't tried flip tricks yet but I don't think they'll be easy.

I'm looking forward to grinding with them set up inside out like this, I already have grooves in these Aces but as you can see in that image the wheels cover a good portion of truck, so the grooves aren't going to do much good haha. I imagine I'm probably going to be doing a lot of accidental edgers

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2021, 11:01:46 PM »
That looks so good. Sometimes I set up a 8.75+  board with 129 trucks and when you grind you are locked in way closer to the centre. This looks like it would perform like that but not speed wobble like crazy if you go faster than 4 pushes. Might have to get myself a set of cubics at some point.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2021, 12:31:02 PM »
That looks so good. Sometimes I set up a 8.75+  board with 129 trucks and when you grind you are locked in way closer to the centre. This looks like it would perform like that but not speed wobble like crazy if you go faster than 4 pushes. Might have to get myself a set of cubics at some point.

haha yeah with it set up like this I have maybe 3 1/2" of grinding area on my trucks, I have to focus on aiming my truck onto the coping so I don't do an edger

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2021, 12:39:25 PM »
Heres my Ricky inspired setup

Antihero 8.25 (14.38wb)
Independent 144
Spitfire F4 classics 60mm 99d
Bones Reds
Mob Grip

white guy in a durag

« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2021, 01:30:48 PM »
Putting 58mm and 60mm classics on my christmas list. After trying out so many wide shapes, I think some big ass classics might be the truth.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2021, 06:00:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

haha yeah with it set up like this I have maybe 3 1/2" of grinding area on my trucks, I have to focus on aiming my truck onto the coping so I don't do an edger

Wonder what the smallest trucks they'd fit inside out on. If you do end up trying them on 109 or 129s I'd like to see some photos if possible. Right way out or inside out. Having daydreams about a total steamroller board that can just mash over anything but it would end up being like $200+ investment where I am (not including deck). Need to make sure it can at least be possible before I buy.

(If you're not doing it then no pressure/no worries)

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2021, 10:32:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wonder what the smallest trucks they'd fit inside out on. If you do end up trying them on 109 or 129s I'd like to see some photos if possible. Right way out or inside out. Having daydreams about a total steamroller board that can just mash over anything but it would end up being like $200+ investment where I am (not including deck). Need to make sure it can at least be possible before I buy.

(If you're not doing it then no pressure/no worries)

haha yeah man I've been thinking about getting some even smaller trucks to try them out on. If I do I'll post them for sure

Ivotedfortrudeau

• Rep: -4
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2021, 01:16:37 PM »
99A 62MM Road crew off set wheels.  Super wide.  They are really fun park wheels.
not really

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2021, 05:23:19 PM »
99A 62MM Road crew off set wheels.  Super wide.  They are really fun park wheels.

I heard those Road Crew wheels are really hard. How’s the grip/slide/speed on them? Any comments on how they stack up against SPF or F4?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2021, 05:51:07 AM »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2021, 06:50:39 PM »
Anyone try the Shin wheels? Why there is no 60mm Spitfire nowhere?

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2021, 01:14:17 AM »

Doesn’t seem to be a lot of demand for them, took me a month or so to find some in Europe (well a slap user sent me a link)

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2021, 03:35:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Doesn’t seem to be a lot of demand for them, took me a month or so to find some in Europe (well a slap user sent me a link)
Looks like there are none in the upcoming drop. The 60mm F4 Classics out there are pretty much it for a while
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

white guy in a durag

« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2021, 07:53:21 AM »
I think 58 classics and 60 OG classics are on the way. Kader posted a photo to his story a while ago that had the 58s, and Kyota seemed to be rocking the 60 OGs in his new quartersnacks edit.

In other news, copped some Slime Ball 97a 60s so I can pretend to be Nick Boserio

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2021, 08:02:47 AM »
I haven’t, I’m scared I’ll hate them, I think I’ll get 58mm connical fulls in 97a instead

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2021, 04:22:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I haven’t, I’m scared I’ll hate them, I think I’ll get 58mm connical fulls in 97a instead

I ended up buying good ole Spitfire Formular 4 Classic 60mm
I am afraid i will hate the Shin wheels as well, I usually prefer the softer stuff Oj makes.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2021, 07:49:46 PM »
Cal Sk8 in Portland has some 60mm F4 Conical Fulls 99a.