Author Topic: The new old new spot—Pier 7 back in all its glory?  (Read 9253 times)

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
The new old new spot—Pier 7 back in all its glory?
« on: August 01, 2021, 11:10:05 PM »
Is this for real? Chico Brenes and Jack Curtin have posted clips from Pier 7 without the wood on top of the manny pads / ledges. Haven’t found any info or mention of this except here.

My first 411 had the Pier 7 Spot Check and Lavar McBride Pro Files in it, footage from this spot will always have a special magic for me. Would be hyped if it’s back for good.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CR99-dnJZKA/?utm_medium=copy_link

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 11:29:54 PM by listentoaheartbeat »

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
Re: Pier 7 back in all its glory?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 11:16:50 PM »
So rad! Comment section seems to confirm we are not in fact dreaming!

One of the first street spots I skated that I had seen in videos. There were so many heads there that day, but I remember trying to ollie up the small part and after a while I did it and rode off the end of the pad and Karl Watson came running up and grabbed me off my board and spun me around and was like hell yeah little homie! I was a little ass kid and that will stick with me forever. Nothing as classic as pier 7 footy!

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The new old new spot—Pier 7 back in all its glory?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 12:09:05 AM »
wow thats a life hammer gab

glad it's back
:) I must have been tripping last night

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 12:26:35 AM »

One of the first street spots I skated that I had seen in videos. There were so many heads there that day, but I remember trying to ollie up the small part and after a while I did it and rode off the end of the pad and Karl Watson came running up and grabbed me off my board and spun me around and was like hell yeah little homie! I was a little ass kid and that will stick with me forever. Nothing as classic as pier 7 footy!

thats one of the coolest stories anyone on here's got i reckon

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 12:31:35 AM »
No way !!!

Amazing

I've been there twice. The first time I went all the way from Ireland. I was devastated when I got there and the wood was on. Ha....
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 02:01:25 AM »

Great story, and big up for going for it with all those heads around. Most of the time when pros were at a spot I was too intimidated to even step on the board as a kid.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 91
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 02:33:15 AM »
Chico was posting some footage from himself skating there yesterday too. Best Pier 7 documentation is that Mike York photo.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 02:50:46 AM »
Chico was posting some footage from himself cleaning up other people’s thrashskating there yesterday too. Best Pier 7 documentation is that Mike York photo.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 91
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 03:40:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Chico was posting some footage from himself cleaning up other people’s thrashskating there yesterday too. Best Pier 7 documentation is that Mike York photo.
[close]

I must have missed that, but caught him doing a crooked grind.

dunc

• Rep: 56
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 01:42:06 PM »
Pier 7 holds a special spot in my withered old heart because of Karl Watson as well. Came from NZ worked in SD and went up to SF for a 2 week skate trip. Got to skate emb before it was smashed up . Even met a girl who worked at the hotel opposite and she took me upstairs to show me where the filmed the birds eye view of the Carroll C (nerd alert) . Went down to pier seven a few times and Karl was there. He came up and said what's up, gave me props for grinding the block . I was beaming! We talked about music a bit and I asked him who he skated to in the five flavors video.  Ween was then mentioned and I rushed of to amoeba records to buy the mollusk.  Life changing. I remember the block being so ground down and a heap of graffiti claiming Henrey Sanchez was a dick. Apparently if you got is his way there he would grab your board and throw it into the bay. GOOD times.

They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 02:08:15 PM »
Somebody tell Rob Welsh and Marcus McBride pronto.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 02:11:38 PM »
Ween was then mentioned and I rushed of to amoeba records to buy the mollusk.  Life changing.

Fuck yes !

I'm stoked for the Pier to be back for now, somehow I don't think it's going to last all that long unfortunately.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 02:39:59 PM »
props to whoever put in work to bring pier 7 back to life. the wooden planks were set in place with a metal frame underneath which was bolted into the ledges and the old skate stoppers from years ago created holes on the original cement pads. i imagine whoever did this spent quite some time grinding and bondo'ing. they did a great job!

apparently, the port of sf isn't too happy about it and has the police kick us out, but no tickets were written up. he stayed posted up in his car for like 45 mins until he left and everyone came back to skate. i guess the cops don't really give a shit, since they have photos circulating between themselves of the skaters liberating the piers when it happened, and he just laughed it off while showing some of the skaters.

hope to see this spot last, but it's hard to remain hopeful given all the trash and graffiti that's been posted recently.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

dunc

• Rep: 56
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 02:57:22 PM »
Can someone inform me why the metal/tin edges were a thing there for a while? An early on council initiative perhaps?  I see by the new videos that some of the old blocks on the footpath have gone.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 02:58:04 PM »
props to whoever put in work to bring pier 7 back to life. the wooden planks were set in place with a metal frame underneath which was bolted into the ledges and the old skate stoppers from years ago created holes on the original cement pads. i imagine whoever did this spent quite some time grinding and bondo'ing. they did a great job!

apparently, the port of sf isn't too happy about it and has the police kick us out, but no tickets were written up. he stayed posted up in his car for like 45 mins until he left and everyone came back to skate. i guess the cops don't really give a shit, since they have photos circulating between themselves of the skaters liberating the piers when it happened, and he just laughed it off while showing some of the skaters.

hope to see this spot last, but it's hard to remain hopeful given all the trash and graffiti that's been posted recently.

So skaters did that ! Props to whoever it was, hyped to see modern days foootage

Fuuuuuuu

• Rep: -6
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 03:00:57 PM »
SF should take the burnside approach and make some of these spots city sanctioned skate parks.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 340
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 06:17:33 PM »
Anyone trying to get the Pals meetup going soon their? I’m about an hour away from it.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 06:19:41 PM »
I skated there in 2000 and got to watch Pat Washington and Sanch rip that place to shreds.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 10:11:52 PM »
Chico was posting some footage from himself skating there yesterday too. Best Pier 7 documentation is that Mike York S P I N  M O V E.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2021, 06:48:58 AM »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2021, 09:57:56 AM »
i got heelflip manny on the flat

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
    • swarm life avatar image
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2021, 10:25:42 AM »
It's pretty great to skate it again it its og form.

Someone added some cones to the mix to try and steer pedestrians away from landing zone, which is a good idea. A permanent installation to control the flow would be rad. That's if the city doesn't come and just annihilate the spot EMB / Love Park style.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 10:34:31 AM by tkp »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2021, 10:31:16 AM »

If I see new Welsh footy at this spot, y'all will have to send me to horny jail

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 10:32:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ll be joining you. See you in the horny yard.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2021, 10:35:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same ol' , same ol'

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 10:41:16 AM »

Welsh is my spirit animal

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 11:46:20 AM »
SF should take the burnside approach and make some of these spots city sanctioned skate parks.

Totally. Has any city in California ever done that? Even Montreal made Peace Park a legal place to skate. Pier 7 doesn't look that big; the city should just make it legal to skate there.

mayor-quimby

• Rep: -22
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 12:14:56 PM »
Dude what was the deconstruction / unstopping strategy there??  Seems like it would have to be allowed by the city in order for it to happen... that is one of the biggest spot liberations ever.

or maybe because of COVID there weren't any eyes on it?

Pennybabie

• Rep: -18
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2021, 12:32:34 PM »

This is why we can't have nice things people can be so ungrateful.

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2021, 02:36:22 PM »
I can't imagine them designating that as a public skate park or anything. It's on arguably the busiest tourist foot traffic pathway in the city. They aren't going to weigh the 'tourists can get their shins bashed by famous pro skaters' option very heavily.