Author Topic: Daan on homophobia  (Read 65991 times)

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2533
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Daan on homophobia
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2021, 10:31:42 AM »
I was already no longer a Daan fan after he posted a bunch of dorky Elon Musk Dogecoin memes

Hhaha, did he really? Wow, what a dweeb.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

LebowskisRug

« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2021, 10:36:18 AM »
It's amazing how many people do not have the discipline to resist posting and thus let social media destroy their career.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1132
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2021, 10:41:05 AM »
Don’t you miss the days when a skaters personality was crafted by the brand owner through ads?

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2021, 10:43:12 AM »
It's amazing there's still slap posters in 2021 whining about how it's "soft" to stand up for our LGBTQ comrades. It's hella soft and real little dick energy to get your jimmies in a twist because gay people don't have to exist in the shadows anymore and can openly be themselves

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2021, 10:43:22 AM »
Damn Daan  and Dababy in the same week. Yeesh!

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 83
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2021, 10:50:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That’s his opinion. He isn’t saying anything negative or bashing anyone. My gay brother is getting married this fall. Showed him the photo, he laughed and agreed. So many soft cookies here, so quick to act tough and shit talk behind their screen about someone stating their opinion. But would never say anything face to face lol
[close]

I wish your gay brother a very happy & long marriage to his wife.

I have occupied my time in this thread being sarcastic but let me give up the ghost.

Maybe you would say nothing face to face, but that's not something you know about others.

Speaking for myself: when the world sees me as 'male' but I have small breasts that lead the world to read me as 'freak' at the same time, it's either I speak up or I get assaulted. So I would not only say something face to face, but I would additionally fight my way through any ambush. Shriveled dick and all. I'm a fucking powderkeg. What you see as opinions we see as symtoms of the same disease. We're not crazy for seeing hatred for what it is, so don't try to manipulate us.

P.S. just because your brother is gay does not mean he can't be a homophobe. I hope his husband is safe and isn't subject to the same bullshit that you & him deem manly. God forbid his husband comes out as femme or wants to dress effeminately on a date. God forbid your husband has to defend him against a public attacker.
[close]

“Just because your brother is gay does not mean he cant be a homphobe”

I get the dave chappelle black white supremacist bit was hilarious, but i wouldnt take the premise of it and use it as a sincere discussion point. It would just make you look a little silly.

I fit right into the lgbwatever crowd. But i have no issue stating the really outspoken advocates can be insuffereable and sometimes completely unreasonable people driven purely by emotion. But i sure dont dislike them because of who they are.

This daan character sure does seem like a kook who will fall hook line and sinker for a catchy video sharing ‘facts’ about your freedoms. But his post alone doesnt imply anything beyond him being a bit simple and probably no fun to talk too.
[close]

this is the best explanation. it simply comes off as hes naive and yeah simple minded. calling this homophobia is a little much, but he is a dumbass for publicly putting this on his story
[close]
as a trans skater, it's easy to get emotional when I constantly have to justify my existence to dipshits. I don't want to have to be an advocate for my identity, but bigotry kinda makes it a necessity. Fuck daan and anyone defending him

I’m right there with you too.
Recently a local skater organisation did an online survey and some of the highlights were shared with some hateful comments towards skaters like me and you.
 Usually I’m thick enough skinned but knowing that  other members of it dislike your very existence enough to voice that opinion and say you don’t belong in something you’ve been involved with for however long. Yeah that can sting, to put it lightly.

And when a fucking professional in the sport is sharing something like this it’s the same.
It makes me not want to bother with the fucking community in the slightest.
I’ve been “out” as transfemme for over two years now and its mostly been received well by those close to me. But the bullshit comments, open hatred + bigotry, slurs, insulting remarks or questions and overt negativity are prevalent in my experience.

Even a fucking FRIEND of mine that I came out to about transitioning said something he thought was funny but amounted to “I don’t want to film a trans person if they transition physically”.
I’m not even THERE yet , and yet the very idea looking at my body being changed in a way I want makes you uncomfortable?
Alright.

Cry me a river, right?
No one cares now it’s 2021, right?
You’re sick hearing about it and don’t want it in your face anymore, right?

Stuff can be accidentally hateful, statements can be full of ignorance and often they can tell you a lot about a persons thought process. Not fucking divining anything overly insightful here, I’m just sick of having to feel like my existence needs fought for in a community and culture that I’ve been part of for too long to not feel strongly about.

I’m a skater and just because some of us are more open about this doesn’t mean “the gays can do whatever they want these days”.

Fuck you Daan VanDerLinden and anyone else that is sick of LGBTQ people wanting equality inside and outside of skateboarding.

Trans rights are human rights.

lydius

• Rep: 43
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2021, 10:55:23 AM »
It's amazing how many people do not have the discipline to resist posting and thus let social media destroy their career.
exactly. says something about impulse control, and privilege.

Fincher5153

• Rep: 9
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2021, 10:57:18 AM »
"Propaganda" lmao, they're just trying to exist. I'm disappointed, even if it's "just a meme". This is some shit your bigoted uncle would post on Facebook. I'm happy to see that not many people are defending this dude.

You're allowed to have your shitty worldviews but people are allowed to be pissed and not buy your shit, and sponsors are certainly allowed to drop you (if they decide to). Call it "cancelling" or whatever you want, but how often do we talk about pro skating being mostly about being marketable? Well, there isn't much of a market for homophobia in skateboarding.

Salmon Agah

« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2021, 11:00:53 AM »
Replace the tuba player with "Daan's anti-LGBT propoganda" but keep "Me, trying to live my life"

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2021, 11:12:39 AM »
Goddamn just days after Josiah was beaten to death, what the fuck.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

Your Cousin Marvin

• Rep: -144
  • Having my poasts moderated makes me sad
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2021, 11:22:04 AM »
lol at you guys "fighting the good fight" and leaving comments on his insta that he's never going to read.
1:1 Ratio

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2021, 11:22:23 AM »
I'm not surprised at all.

NEXT!

assvogel

• Rep: 210
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2021, 11:23:42 AM »
That is a stupid ass meme and especially disappointing coming from a person on the same team(s) as BA, like come on buddy, haven't you learnt anything in the past 4 years...

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2021, 11:25:04 AM »
How I feel about Daan.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2021, 11:36:31 AM »
Waack.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2021, 11:38:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Homophobia isn't some sophisticated school of thought and comes in various shapes and sizes. Dumb people can be homophobic too, by posting a dumb meme for example.
[close]
Yeah true, I guess what i'm getting at is that the backlash is pretty gnarly for such a stupid meme. Not sure what daan was expecting tho
Outside of contest guys, skateboarders are entirely dependent on their marketability. So, saying something that reflects poorly on the company you represent is a quick way to getting fired. The quicker they realize this, maybe they stop posting dumb ass shit. I can't imagine the people at Nike SB or Jim were particularly happy waking up to being asked about this today.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2021, 11:43:18 AM »
Waack.

Lmao. Not defending Daan in any way but I’m just glad it wasn’t some murder or nonce shit for once, just dumbass ignorance. Still fuckin lame.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2021, 11:44:54 AM »
Oh lord.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2021, 11:45:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Homophobia isn't some sophisticated school of thought and comes in various shapes and sizes. Dumb people can be homophobic too, by posting a dumb meme for example.
[close]
Yeah true, I guess what i'm getting at is that the backlash is pretty gnarly for such a stupid meme. Not sure what daan was expecting tho
[close]
Outside of contest guys, skateboarders are entirely dependent on their marketability. So, saying something that reflects poorly on the company you represent is a quick way to getting fired. The quicker they realize this, maybe they stop posting dumb ass shit. I can't imagine the people at Nike SB or Jim were particularly happy waking up to being asked about this today.

See, the thing is that to most of us, these views are abhorrent, so we can say, "wow, he should have not posted that" or "he should have kept that to himself". We'd be ashamed to post something like that because, again, we find these views to be terrible. BUT...he doesn't. So he isn't ashamed. He doesn't need a filter because he doesn't see a problem with having this opinion because to him it makes perfect sense.

I am actually glad he posted it because it would suck to unknowingly give support to a bigot. My dollars go elsewhere now.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2021, 11:46:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That’s his opinion. He isn’t saying anything negative or bashing anyone. My gay brother is getting married this fall. Showed him the photo, he laughed and agreed. So many soft cookies here, so quick to act tough and shit talk behind their screen about someone stating their opinion. But would never say anything face to face lol
[close]

I wish your gay brother a very happy & long marriage to his wife.

I have occupied my time in this thread being sarcastic but let me give up the ghost.

Maybe you would say nothing face to face, but that's not something you know about others.

Speaking for myself: when the world sees me as 'male' but I have small breasts that lead the world to read me as 'freak' at the same time, it's either I speak up or I get assaulted. So I would not only say something face to face, but I would additionally fight my way through any ambush. Shriveled dick and all. I'm a fucking powderkeg. What you see as opinions we see as symtoms of the same disease. We're not crazy for seeing hatred for what it is, so don't try to manipulate us.

P.S. just because your brother is gay does not mean he can't be a homophobe. I hope his husband is safe and isn't subject to the same bullshit that you & him deem manly. God forbid his husband comes out as femme or wants to dress effeminately on a date. God forbid your husband has to defend him against a public attacker.
[close]

“Just because your brother is gay does not mean he cant be a homphobe”

I get the dave chappelle black white supremacist bit was hilarious, but i wouldnt take the premise of it and use it as a sincere discussion point. It would just make you look a little silly.

I fit right into the lgbwatever crowd. But i have no issue stating the really outspoken advocates can be insuffereable and sometimes completely unreasonable people driven purely by emotion. But i sure dont dislike them because of who they are.

This daan character sure does seem like a kook who will fall hook line and sinker for a catchy video sharing ‘facts’ about your freedoms. But his post alone doesnt imply anything beyond him being a bit simple and probably no fun to talk too.
[close]

this is the best explanation. it simply comes off as hes naive and yeah simple minded. calling this homophobia is a little much, but he is a dumbass for publicly putting this on his story
[close]
as a trans skater, it's easy to get emotional when I constantly have to justify my existence to dipshits. I don't want to have to be an advocate for my identity, but bigotry kinda makes it a necessity. Fuck daan and anyone defending him
[close]

I’m right there with you too.
Recently a local skater organisation did an online survey and some of the highlights were shared with some hateful comments towards skaters like me and you.
 Usually I’m thick enough skinned but knowing that  other members of it dislike your very existence enough to voice that opinion and say you don’t belong in something you’ve been involved with for however long. Yeah that can sting, to put it lightly.

And when a fucking professional in the sport is sharing something like this it’s the same.
It makes me not want to bother with the fucking community in the slightest.
I’ve been “out” as transfemme for over two years now and its mostly been received well by those close to me. But the bullshit comments, open hatred + bigotry, slurs, insulting remarks or questions and overt negativity are prevalent in my experience.

Even a fucking FRIEND of mine that I came out to about transitioning said something he thought was funny but amounted to “I don’t want to film a trans person if they transition physically”.
I’m not even THERE yet , and yet the very idea looking at my body being changed in a way I want makes you uncomfortable?
Alright.

Cry me a river, right?
No one cares now it’s 2021, right?
You’re sick hearing about it and don’t want it in your face anymore, right?

Stuff can be accidentally hateful, statements can be full of ignorance and often they can tell you a lot about a persons thought process. Not fucking divining anything overly insightful here, I’m just sick of having to feel like my existence needs fought for in a community and culture that I’ve been part of for too long to not feel strongly about.

I’m a skater and just because some of us are more open about this doesn’t mean “the gays can do whatever they want these days”.

Fuck you Daan VanDerLinden and anyone else that is sick of LGBTQ people wanting equality inside and outside of skateboarding.

Trans rights are human rights.

This sucks and I'm sorry you have to deal with stupid people and ignorance just because you want to skate and be yourself

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »
Wait till nikes comments on this.

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2021, 11:52:12 AM »
don’t know who he is i always skipped his part in trust fall to watch caleb’s part luh caleb part in trust fall

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2021, 11:58:50 AM »
The type of person who posts this doesn't think of themselves as "homophobic". Kinda like white people in the civil rights era who thought of themselves as sympathetic to the cause, but also wished they weren't so "uppity" about it. What MLK called the "polite" racism of white liberals.

This meme format also sucks because it defames the Tuba, which is a fine instrument that never hurt nobody. Except when it gets dropped on someone i guess 

Mount St. Hermdog

• Rep: 7
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2021, 11:59:47 AM »
engine block hot dog team can't be left in charge of critical thinking

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1267
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2021, 12:02:14 PM »
1-8 bro

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2021, 12:07:29 PM »
I don’t think anyone is outright calling for his cancellation and exile from skateboarding just that this is one of the bigger names in skateboarding with actual sponsors that are respected and have history. It may give the impression that it’s ok to have these sort of views and bigotry because hey he’s good at skateboarding but fuck that. Duffel still gets shit for calling Stevie a “nigger”. He could’ve used a meme that talks about political correctness but instead went to specifics about the LGBTQ community.

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -138
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2021, 12:11:28 PM »
lol at you guys "fighting the good fight" and leaving comments on his insta that he's never going to read.
big texas cummer

Mount St. Hermdog

• Rep: 7
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2021, 12:15:41 PM »
I don’t think anyone is outright calling for his cancellation and exile from skateboarding just that this is one of the bigger names in skateboarding with actual sponsors that are respected and have history. It may give the impression that it’s ok to have these sort of views and bigotry because hey he’s good at skateboarding but fuck that. Duffel still gets shit for calling Stevie a “nigger”. He could’ve used a meme that talks about political correctness but instead went to specifics about the LGBTQ community.
Daan should apologize and give his next paycheck to an lgbtq+ charity or they should cut him, there are a lot of guys who will be stars and sell boards that DLX can hook up who aren't shitbags

TheDingus

« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2021, 12:19:26 PM »
Imagine throwing your career away with a meme. Daan is a dipshit. Is skateboarding going to hold antihero and Nike responsible for making a statement? 🤔

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2021, 12:31:32 PM »
wouldn't be surprised if he post a half assed apology a la jarne