Author Topic: Daan on homophobia  (Read 65972 times)

biaherl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 271
    • Why So Sad avatar image
Re: Daan on homophobia
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2021, 12:35:01 PM »
This makes me want to stop skating the Ishod board I'm skating right now.

I'm done with DLX till Daan does something good or is dumped

Buying this right now

https://www.thereskateboards.com/product-page/pitonyak-8-3

manysnakes

« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2021, 12:39:20 PM »
It's amazing how many people do not have the discipline to resist posting and thus let social media destroy their career.

Social Media turned everyone into posters, formerly a rarified group. It has been a disaster.

What's worst of all is that they didn't learn early on to never back down and always post through it, so we are going to end up with some lame apology no one will accept or care about.

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2021, 12:39:47 PM »
hellride

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2021, 12:42:54 PM »
What a fucking idiot. I'm currently skating his AH deck, now it's definitely going to be my last deck of his I skate. Fuck him.

Same here, maybe I am gonna paint a rainbow under his name in his honor.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 83
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2021, 12:44:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That’s his opinion. He isn’t saying anything negative or bashing anyone. My gay brother is getting married this fall. Showed him the photo, he laughed and agreed. So many soft cookies here, so quick to act tough and shit talk behind their screen about someone stating their opinion. But would never say anything face to face lol
[close]

I wish your gay brother a very happy & long marriage to his wife.

I have occupied my time in this thread being sarcastic but let me give up the ghost.

Maybe you would say nothing face to face, but that's not something you know about others.

Speaking for myself: when the world sees me as 'male' but I have small breasts that lead the world to read me as 'freak' at the same time, it's either I speak up or I get assaulted. So I would not only say something face to face, but I would additionally fight my way through any ambush. Shriveled dick and all. I'm a fucking powderkeg. What you see as opinions we see as symtoms of the same disease. We're not crazy for seeing hatred for what it is, so don't try to manipulate us.

P.S. just because your brother is gay does not mean he can't be a homophobe. I hope his husband is safe and isn't subject to the same bullshit that you & him deem manly. God forbid his husband comes out as femme or wants to dress effeminately on a date. God forbid your husband has to defend him against a public attacker.
[close]

“Just because your brother is gay does not mean he cant be a homphobe”

I get the dave chappelle black white supremacist bit was hilarious, but i wouldnt take the premise of it and use it as a sincere discussion point. It would just make you look a little silly.

I fit right into the lgbwatever crowd. But i have no issue stating the really outspoken advocates can be insuffereable and sometimes completely unreasonable people driven purely by emotion. But i sure dont dislike them because of who they are.

This daan character sure does seem like a kook who will fall hook line and sinker for a catchy video sharing ‘facts’ about your freedoms. But his post alone doesnt imply anything beyond him being a bit simple and probably no fun to talk too.
[close]

this is the best explanation. it simply comes off as hes naive and yeah simple minded. calling this homophobia is a little much, but he is a dumbass for publicly putting this on his story
[close]
as a trans skater, it's easy to get emotional when I constantly have to justify my existence to dipshits. I don't want to have to be an advocate for my identity, but bigotry kinda makes it a necessity. Fuck daan and anyone defending him
[close]

I’m right there with you too.
Recently a local skater organisation did an online survey and some of the highlights were shared with some hateful comments towards skaters like me and you.
 Usually I’m thick enough skinned but knowing that  other members of it dislike your very existence enough to voice that opinion and say you don’t belong in something you’ve been involved with for however long. Yeah that can sting, to put it lightly.

And when a fucking professional in the sport is sharing something like this it’s the same.
It makes me not want to bother with the fucking community in the slightest.
I’ve been “out” as transfemme for over two years now and its mostly been received well by those close to me. But the bullshit comments, open hatred + bigotry, slurs, insulting remarks or questions and overt negativity are prevalent in my experience.

Even a fucking FRIEND of mine that I came out to about transitioning said something he thought was funny but amounted to “I don’t want to film a trans person if they transition physically”.
I’m not even THERE yet , and yet the very idea looking at my body being changed in a way I want makes you uncomfortable?
Alright.

Cry me a river, right?
No one cares now it’s 2021, right?
You’re sick hearing about it and don’t want it in your face anymore, right?

Stuff can be accidentally hateful, statements can be full of ignorance and often they can tell you a lot about a persons thought process. Not fucking divining anything overly insightful here, I’m just sick of having to feel like my existence needs fought for in a community and culture that I’ve been part of for too long to not feel strongly about.

I’m a skater and just because some of us are more open about this doesn’t mean “the gays can do whatever they want these days”.

Fuck you Daan VanDerLinden and anyone else that is sick of LGBTQ people wanting equality inside and outside of skateboarding.

Trans rights are human rights.
[close]

This sucks and I'm sorry you have to deal with stupid people and ignorance just because you want to skate and be yourself

I appreciate the kind words as well as the other things you’ve said in here - so thank you.

For what it’s worth too, I can’t decide what time period was “easier” -skating and openly wearing some girls clothes etc+ displaying some choice attributes typically associated with girls,  or being openly trans now.
As the other poster I originally quoted said too- I really don’t want to be a spokesperson for trans people and trans rights and don’t even involve myself in the LGBTQ scene for the most part but it’s hard not to feel like it is absolutely necessary.

I don’t live in a overly dangerous environment in the slightest either but I had to pause and reconsider some things when 90% of those loved ones I came out to first had in their primary concerns my physical safety. I hadn’t even fucking thought about that.

But you most certainly don’t owe me an apology. <3

Edit:
Thread hijack / rant over. I’m just glad this is getting attention and being talked about too.
And anything with his name on it, including his video parts I’m out for now.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -487
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2021, 12:46:10 PM »
Certainly not a move that warrants defense, especially given the lack of context. I too would be interested to see what he defines as "LGBT propaganda". That said not all ways of life are not fully respected by members of this forum and within the skate community. I'm reminded of the consistent criticism of folks like Lance Mountain, Brian Sumner etc in threads for openly discussing their Christian faith. As far as Daan though, I don't see his Nike contract holding up to this considering the current environment in regards to this type of commentary; I predict he'll be off the roster by 2022 or sooner.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2021, 12:47:04 PM »
wouldn't be surprised if he post a half assed apology a la jarne

If he does, I hope he sticks with the rhyming limerick format so we have more material to work with.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

manysnakes

« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2021, 12:52:21 PM »
Certainly not a move that warrants defense, especially given the lack of context. I too would be interested to see what he defines as "LGBT propaganda". That said not all ways of life are not fully respected by members of this forum and within the skate community. I'm reminded of the consistent criticism of folks like Lance Mountain, Brian Sumner etc in threads for openly discussing their Christian faith. As far as Daan though, I don't see his Nike contract holding up to this considering the current environment in regards to this type of commentary; I predict he'll be off the roster by 2022 or sooner.

I'm sure this will get me in hot water was some people here, but I think a lot of the times lately when people are describing "the LGBT agenda", they're really talking about a sort of cultural hegemonic liberalism, which they find alien, and which they identify broadly as "gay" in the non-pejorative sense.

Lisa96

« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2021, 12:56:12 PM »
Cariuma might take him

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2021, 12:57:09 PM »

I think we're wary of Christian skaters because here in America being evangelical comes with a side order of discriminatory beliefs about gay people and minorities as well as retrograde beliefs about even straight relationships like abstinence until marriage. I've run into sumner many times because i grew up Christian and live in Southern California and would go to Christian skate events. He's a nice guy but all those events always came with a mandatory sermon and attempts to evangelize everyone there.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2021, 01:02:34 PM »
I, too, feel oppressed by marginalized groups preaching to me about their rights and whatnot.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -224
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2021, 01:06:45 PM »
I, too, feel oppressed by marginalized groups preaching to me about their rights and whatnot.

Squash is 10X better anyway.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2021, 01:09:09 PM »
Daan's not worried about Covid but thinks he's going to catch the gay. 

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2021, 01:13:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Squash is 10X better anyway.

Frasier agrees

bootscootboogy

• Rep: 3
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2021, 01:16:57 PM »
God daan it

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65234
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2021, 01:18:51 PM »

Gnar'd.

suckmadeck

• Rep: 29
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2021, 01:19:49 PM »
Cariuma might take him

Perfect fit for a company ran by scientologists

n0torious

• Rep: 153
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2021, 01:47:27 PM »
engine block hot dog team can't be left in charge of critical thinking

DaaBaby never seemed like a critical thinker.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2533
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2021, 01:53:01 PM »
"LBGT propaganda" isn't something new. It's an expression that's been used for years by anti-LGBTQ politicians and activists, not the community. It doesn't have a positive connotation, especially not when used in the meme Daan posted.

There's really no reason why we should fall over backwards to come up with excuses for its use. We don't need to hear all sides of the story because we've heard them already 1000s of times. Asking Daan why he used a homophobic meme isn't going to bring anything new to the table.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2021, 02:04:52 PM »
My favorite part of this shit is not understanding that your entire life has been filled to the brim with straight, white "propaganda". And now these people who barely had any open role models to choose from are trying to join the public eye, and the homophobes lose their damn minds. And no you don't need to be all of those adjectives, there's a lot of homophobia and tribalism in non white communities.

And the worst is, most will say they're perfectly fine with "the gays", maybe even have a friend or family member who is, but you're just saying you don't want them to have the same priveleges as you. Same with racist shit like freaking out about gender or race changes to movie characters, or simply female/POC/LGBTQ characters existing at all.

It's always "shoved in their face" instead of seen as it is, being exactly the same as having straight, white, male heroes.

Sincerely, straight, white, protestant upbringing who understands that my entire society was handing me heroes, role models, protagonists, etc that I could identify with and maybe other people deserve the same damn thing

Edit: and on the "it's probably not homophobia, just being dense" comments from earlier, reminder that homophobia doesn't mean militant anti gay actions, just like racism isn't confined to white hoods and cross burning. Holding hands with your wife, and then seeing a gay couple holding hands and thinking that they shouldn't flaunt it... That's homophobia. Watching a million movies with straight romance, and seeing a trailer for one gay movie and thinking, "LGBTQ propaganda"... That's homophobia
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 02:14:02 PM by Uncle Jeffrey »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2021, 02:13:19 PM »

sorry

Mount St. Hermdog

• Rep: 7
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2021, 02:13:34 PM »
My favorite part of this shit is not understanding that your entire life has been filled to the brim with straight, white "propaganda". And now these people who barely had any open role models to choose from are trying to join the public eye, and the homophobes lose their damn minds.

And the worst is, most will say they're perfectly fine with "the gays", maybe even have a friend or family member who is, but you're just saying you don't want them to have the same priveleges as you. Same with racist shit like freaking out about gender or race changes to movie characters, or simply female/POC/LGBTQ characters existing at all.

It's always "shoved in their face" instead of seen as it is, being exactly the same as having straight, white, male heroes.

Sincerely, straight, white, protestant upbringing who understands that my entire society was handing me heroes, role models, protagonists, etc that I could identify with and maybe other people deserve the same damn thing
It is pretty funny when you think about complaining about "propaganda" by posting like actual anti lgbtq+ "propaganda"

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2021, 02:27:08 PM »
kid was pretty much an alcoholic by the time he was 16. makes sense why he sees nothing wrong with this, his brain stopped developing early.

you’re a real one cheshire.

pro club blanks

« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2021, 02:59:58 PM »
I for one am shocked that someone who hellrides for a company that uses a biker outlaw aesthetic and is comprised primarily of alcoholic straight white men while having a quasi fascistic logo, would say something ignorant.

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2021, 03:07:28 PM »
The Instagram comments on Daans page are a trip.

“You have pronouns and wear a mask”
“Daan’s post was so nuanced you shouldn’t feel upset”
“Burn the fag flag”

Damn I have pronouns too, so I ordered Ben Shapiro’s latest novel in hopes of becoming a Jordan Peterson vegetable

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2021, 03:32:30 PM »
there's a difference between 'propaganda' and the departure from heteronormativity that we're experiencing as a culture.

A Sesame Street ad that features two dads is not queer propaganda, in the same way that an Oreo ad featuring a set of hetero parents is not straight propaganda.

That said, fuck Daan. Representation matters, and there's no big gay agenda out to get him. Times are changing, get with it or get the fuck out of the way

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2021, 03:52:53 PM »
I heard that he accidentally slept with a cross-dresser last night.

I guess you could say he was literally having 'gay propaganda' shoved down his throat, so it's understandable he is a little butt-hurt.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

autisticskaterkowabunga

• Rep: -30
  • im a gay bitch
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2021, 03:57:34 PM »
im literally gay and autistic and even i think this is fine

autisticskaterkowabunga

• Rep: -30
  • im a gay bitch
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2021, 04:02:56 PM »
This just in:

Daan is a follower of Donald Trump's IG.

haha 8)

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2021, 04:03:56 PM »
Expand Quote
This just in:

Daan is a follower of Donald Trump's IG.
[close]

haha 8)

Removed. Its Donald Trump Jr's IG.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham