Author Topic: Daan on homophobia  (Read 65979 times)

LURKIN RENOIR

Re: Daan on homophobia
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2021, 02:11:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Instead of wishing that a skateboarders career should end , how about trying to ask Daan what he means with his post? You might find that  he did not put so much thought into this.

There is another side of this and that is the right of free  free speech. I think we'll all agrre that It is important to be able to say things that might offend others.  That includes both "gay-propaganda" and to question said propaganda.

The way forward is not through censorship but dialogue.

Love
[close]

Freedom of speech means you can say what you want. Which he did. It does not mean that you are free of repercussions and everybody just has to accept your bullshit.

Certainly not. What im grying to say is that you could help him understand instead of trying to hurt him back. Dont you think people can change to the better?

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2021, 02:36:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Instead of wishing that a skateboarders career should end , how about trying to ask Daan what he means with his post? You might find that  he did not put so much thought into this.

There is another side of this and that is the right of free  free speech. I think we'll all agrre that It is important to be able to say things that might offend others.  That includes both "gay-propaganda" and to question said propaganda.

Love
[close]

Freedom of speech means you can say what you want. Which he did. It does not mean that you are free of repercussions and everybody just has to accept your bullshit.
[close]

Certainly not. What im grying to say is that you could help him understand instead of trying to hurt him back. Dont you think people can change to the better?

I do but how would he ever know he fucked up if nobody challenged what he said?

LURKIN RENOIR

« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2021, 02:49:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Love
[close]

[close]

[close]

Good! Why not challenge him directly  in a dm?

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2021, 02:55:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Love
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This is what thesecrettape did, albeit publicly. He just doubled down...

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2021, 03:12:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Love
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What did he say
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

assvogel

• Rep: 210
« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2021, 03:14:31 AM »
I kinda think people can learn from their mistakes, but that change usually don't happen overnight as it usually takes self-reflection, adjustment and/or conversation.

At the same time, living in the age of social media, people want/expect instant action (like in this topic people are already calling ban on Deluxe as a whole for not giving a comment in 24 hours), but then again the apologies can seem dishonest or contrived.

But to quote the Schaaf chromeball interview "And even if they were given a second chance to simply not be such an asshole… and they still can’t get out of their own way? Screw ‘em if they can’t figure it out by now." So if you are doubling down on your hateful shit even after you've been given a chance to own up to your mistakes... there's no coming back from that.

I saw few other industry connected skaters had posted about this on their instagram, like Big Nakie had the Skankiee story with edited captions, so that's good.

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2021, 03:57:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Love
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What did he say

I don´t know, the first post states that he took it down and defended it. I definetly used "double down" wrong here, english is not my mother tounge. Sorry!

I was also just replying to this thread because I think it´s annoying when people scream " but Freedom of speech" when someone says something controversial and gets flak for it. Another thing to note is that if you are a public figure, you will be discussed publicly. I never asked for him to loose his job but I also forgot to call him an asshole. And with this I am out of here.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 825
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2021, 04:06:56 AM »
holy shit, 7 pages of rage about a guy who have different opinion than yours. you guys must be real bored.
You must be as well, you just read through those 7 pages
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2021, 04:11:48 AM »
holy shit, 7 pages of rage about a guy who have different opinion than yours. you guys must be real bored.

What's up Daan

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2021, 04:35:31 AM »
Expand Quote
lol at you guys "fighting the good fight" and leaving comments on his insta that he's never going to read.
[close]

well, he deleted his last post (line with nollie heel bs tail), I assume because of the comments.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

• Rep: 1
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2021, 04:45:24 AM »
Not to be divisive here… this is not surprising and pretty weak…. but also should not be taken seriously. Don’t let it raise your blood pressure.
Icehead

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2021, 04:58:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Love
[close]

Nah this aint it chief, i really don't care to hear homies reasoning as to why he felt so annoyed by "lgbt propaganda" that he felt the need to share this. keep your wack, boring bullshit to yourself.

We need to message Thiebaud and ask his take on all this, considering he's working so hard to champion LGBT inclusion rn. Kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth that he'll allow some sketchy dudes to ride for DLX while promoting Cher so hard
[close]

“No this ain’t it”
Fuck free speech? Sure he did a bad thing but someone’s opinion is wrong now and let’s all lynch him and his career, gay/ lesbian attitudes are free too. Daan can say what he wants, and it’s for us to agree or not in which case I don’t

What you get wrong is that you think capitalism is democratic. It is not. If Daan pisses off enough people he will get fired, because his employer cares about a carefully produced and maintained image. Brands today rarely produce anything. they buy shit and put their name on it. What is valuable is what everyone associates with that brand and companies will protect that at all costs.

I personally think we need less Propaganda altogether. But certainly for hundreds of years propaganda definitely used and furthered the heterosexual agenda. At least 10 to 20 percent of humanity is queer, but mass culture until maybe 10 years ago has focused 99 percent on straight male and female stereotypes. And you know before mass consumerism we had Christianity (or islam) doing a lot of the propaganda. And we all know what they have traditionally thought about homosexuality…

LGBTQ+ is a great social movement. It getting integrated into advertisement will not do them any favors in the long run IMO.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2021, 05:10:10 AM »
Quite peculiar how everyone defending him in this thread has like 30 posts or less.  Almost like some industry guys lurk here but only post to defend their guys’ sketchy behaviour.  IE: KA thread.

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #193 on: August 06, 2021, 05:14:22 AM »
The only people who believe there’s ‘lgbt propaganda’ are people uneasy with their own sexuality.

It’s 2021, anyone with half a brain should know this shit ain’t gonna fly.

Save your bullshit weak ass right wing memes for your burner account on gab, not your blue ticked Insta account.

Honestly, if he’s not canceled for his homophobia he should be canceled just for being a fucking idiot who was willing to torpedo himself and his sponsors with a shitty, unfunny meme. 
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2021, 05:41:59 AM »
Quite peculiar how everyone defending him in this thread has like 30 posts or less.  Almost like some industry guys lurk here but only post to defend their guys’ sketchy behaviour.  IE: KA thread.

I think judging by rep there must to be a lot of SLAP Pals who agree with Daan. Or maybe they believe what he posted isn’t a big deal, but they themselves won’t post. Not surprised at all considering The general consensus on lgbt people held by the forums here dating back years. Only recently have LGBT been more widely accepted on here

Those who don’t think Daan’s post was hateful must not have grown up in a deeply religious conservative household. “Gay propaganda” and the “Gay agenda” is one of the main battles in the culture war. You’d hear about it at church, you’d hear about it over dinner when dr. James Dobson is on the radio, you’d hear about it at your Christian school. Tornadoes, floods and earthquakes were blamed on queer people. Now imagine being a child knowing you’re LGBT and having self hatred drilled into you. I used to pray at night that God would make me straight or give me a traumatic brain injury so my attraction to other boys would stop

It’s almost like people can’t or don’t want to see the dog whistles

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2021, 06:16:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think judging by rep there must to be a lot of SLAP Pals who agree with Daan. Or maybe they believe what he posted isn’t a big deal, but they themselves won’t post. Not surprised at all considering The general consensus on lgbt people held by the forums here dating back years. Only recently have LGBT been more widely accepted on here

Those who don’t think Daan’s post was hateful must not have grown up in a deeply religious conservative household. “Gay propaganda” and the “Gay agenda” is one of the main battles in the culture war. You’d hear about it at church, you’d hear about it over dinner when dr. James Dobson is on the radio, you’d hear about it at your Christian school. Tornadoes, floods and earthquakes were blamed on queer people. Now imagine being a child knowing you’re LGBT and having self hatred drilled into you. I used to pray at night that God would make me straight or give me a traumatic brain injury so my attraction to other boys would stop

It’s almost like people can’t or don’t want to see the dog whistles

If some old slap fart wants to kook me because they're mad and they miss the good old days on slap where they can say all the slurs they want then whatever. Rep is meaningless and they're too cowardly to say it with their chest that gay people make them uncomfortable.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 69
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2021, 06:17:57 AM »
The two things I pull from this are “why” would you post this being this “in the spotlight” and then how much people turn on him. Like both are so weird to me. I agree that it was pointless, stupid and I don’t side with him. And also how can you think that it somehow wouldn’t blowback? Especially riding for Nike and being on two teams with BA. Also I wonder what it must feel like to want to watch someone’s career burn. What he did made me angry but not THAT angry. Anyone else here feel more middle ground than anything ?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2532
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2021, 06:20:28 AM »
Not to be divisive here… this is not surprising and pretty weak…. but also should not be taken seriously. Don’t let it raise your blood pressure.

It absolutely should be taken seriously. Sweeping this under the rug is harmful in the long run. There's no good reason to give this kind of speech a free pass.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2021, 06:20:44 AM »
Wonder if Jim is t.o'ed at him

Daan yoou're oof Aanti Heero, noo moore heell riide

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2021, 06:22:09 AM »
The two things I pull from this are “why” would you post this being this “in the spotlight” and then how much people turn on him. Like both are so weird to me. I agree that it was pointless, stupid and I don’t side with him. And also how can you think that it somehow wouldn’t blowback? Especially riding for Nike and being on two teams with BA. Also I wonder what it must feel like to want to watch someone’s career burn. What he did made me angry but not THAT angry. Anyone else here feel more middle ground than anything ?

I don't hate the guy or want him to lose his job, but i think he should feel a little heat in his seat to let him know that saying shit like that is not cool and has consequences

LostBearings

• Rep: -6
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2021, 06:30:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That’s his opinion. He isn’t saying anything negative or bashing anyone. My gay brother is getting married this fall. Showed him the photo, he laughed and agreed. So many soft cookies here, so quick to act tough and shit talk behind their screen about someone stating their opinion. But would never say anything face to face lol
[close]

I wish your gay brother a very happy & long marriage to his wife.

I have occupied my time in this thread being sarcastic but let me give up the ghost.

Maybe you would say nothing face to face, but that's not something you know about others.

Speaking for myself: when the world sees me as 'male' but I have small breasts that lead the world to read me as 'freak' at the same time, it's either I speak up or I get assaulted. So I would not only say something face to face, but I would additionally fight my way through any ambush. Shriveled dick and all. I'm a fucking powderkeg. What you see as opinions we see as symtoms of the same disease. We're not crazy for seeing hatred for what it is, so don't try to manipulate us.

P.S. just because your brother is gay does not mean he can't be a homophobe. I hope his husband is safe and isn't subject to the same bullshit that you & him deem manly. God forbid his husband comes out as femme or wants to dress effeminately on a date. God forbid your husband has to defend him against a public attacker.
[close]

“Just because your brother is gay does not mean he cant be a homphobe”

I get the dave chappelle black white supremacist bit was hilarious, but i wouldnt take the premise of it and use it as a sincere discussion point. It would just make you look a little silly.

I fit right into the lgbwatever crowd. But i have no issue stating the really outspoken advocates can be insuffereable and sometimes completely unreasonable people driven purely by emotion. But i sure dont dislike them because of who they are.

This daan character sure does seem like a kook who will fall hook line and sinker for a catchy video sharing ‘facts’ about your freedoms. But his post alone doesnt imply anything beyond him being a bit simple and probably no fun to talk too.
[close]

this is the best explanation. it simply comes off as hes naive and yeah simple minded. calling this homophobia is a little much, but he is a dumbass for publicly putting this on his story

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #201 on: August 06, 2021, 06:31:43 AM »
Of all the awesome shit happening in the world right now, if you feel its so important to post shit like this:
Its hard to not see you dropping FBombs on the regular
nobody says “rootin tootin” anymore to describe how gas the session was and it makes me sick

FakieFlipCG

• Rep: 36
« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2021, 06:42:09 AM »
I imagine that during the civil rights movement there were at least 3 kinds of people:

1. activists
2. the opposition
3. people arguing that whether black people can vote was "just a matter of different opinions"

to people in group 3, help or shut up?

JamesFardy

« Reply #203 on: August 06, 2021, 06:45:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That’s his opinion. He isn’t saying anything negative or bashing anyone. My gay brother is getting married this fall. Showed him the photo, he laughed and agreed. So many soft cookies here, so quick to act tough and shit talk behind their screen about someone stating their opinion. But would never say anything face to face lol
[close]

I wish your gay brother a very happy & long marriage to his wife.

I have occupied my time in this thread being sarcastic but let me give up the ghost.

Maybe you would say nothing face to face, but that's not something you know about others.

Speaking for myself: when the world sees me as 'male' but I have small breasts that lead the world to read me as 'freak' at the same time, it's either I speak up or I get assaulted. So I would not only say something face to face, but I would additionally fight my way through any ambush. Shriveled dick and all. I'm a fucking powderkeg. What you see as opinions we see as symtoms of the same disease. We're not crazy for seeing hatred for what it is, so don't try to manipulate us.

P.S. just because your brother is gay does not mean he can't be a homophobe. I hope his husband is safe and isn't subject to the same bullshit that you & him deem manly. God forbid his husband comes out as femme or wants to dress effeminately on a date. God forbid your husband has to defend him against a public attacker.
[close]

“Just because your brother is gay does not mean he cant be a homphobe”

I get the dave chappelle black white supremacist bit was hilarious, but i wouldnt take the premise of it and use it as a sincere discussion point. It would just make you look a little silly.

I fit right into the lgbwatever crowd. But i have no issue stating the really outspoken advocates can be insuffereable and sometimes completely unreasonable people driven purely by emotion. But i sure dont dislike them because of who they are.

This daan character sure does seem like a kook who will fall hook line and sinker for a catchy video sharing ‘facts’ about your freedoms. But his post alone doesnt imply anything beyond him being a bit simple and probably no fun to talk too.
[close]

this is the best explanation. it simply comes off as hes naive and yeah simple minded. calling this homophobia is a little much, but he is a dumbass for publicly putting this on his story
[close]

This.

LostBearings

• Rep: -6
« Reply #204 on: August 06, 2021, 07:25:36 AM »

It was a stupid post but I'm not gonna storm the gates. People can post dumb shit and learn from it. Now if BA comes out and says something publicly condemning his behavior (as he probably knows Daan more than anybody here) then I'll give traction. If his post warrants a 'cancel' to you by all means, did he really mean harm with his post or was he just uneducated to the fact that people would take it to heart and consider it heinous. It's a screenshotted photo of a meme that he has since deleted.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
« Reply #205 on: August 06, 2021, 07:32:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It was a stupid post but I'm not gonna storm the gates. People can post dumb shit and learn from it. Now if BA comes out and says something publicly condemning his behavior (as he probably knows Daan more than anybody here) then I'll give traction. If his post warrants a 'cancel' to you by all means, did he really mean harm with his post or was he just uneducated to the fact that people would take it to heart and consider it heinous. It's a screenshotted photo of a meme that he has since deleted.

Well, as someone pointed out (and I checked myself and confirmed) he follows Trump Jr., and while a follow maybe doesn't mean an endorsement of ideology, if it walks like a milkshake duck...

Fuck Daan.

JamesFardy

« Reply #206 on: August 06, 2021, 07:44:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Well, as someone pointed out (and I checked myself and confirmed) he follows Trump Jr., and while a follow maybe doesn't mean an endorsement of ideology, if it walks like a milkshake duck...

Fuck Daan.

im following carrot top....

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #207 on: August 06, 2021, 07:46:31 AM »
why is it always the responsibility of the othered party to check this shit?? why can only BA call this out? every knuckle dragging dimwit on here with like 22 posts always comes out of the woodwork to be like “this person who spent their entire life feeling different and scared has to handle every situation in which their personhood is being construed as a difference of opinion.” you wanna have a cool culture, police it yourself. if you’re not constantly having your humanity challenged, step up for the people who are. it’s not complicated.

imafugyashizup

• Rep: 12
« Reply #208 on: August 06, 2021, 07:56:38 AM »
The people defending daan on this come out lookin more sus than anyone else.. homie said "lgbt propaganda"... I'd love to know what that is, because thats a homophobic term, and only a homophobic term...

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2532
« Reply #209 on: August 06, 2021, 08:02:04 AM »
The "he's a simpleton so it doesn't count" argument is laughable. Stupid people have agency too. Besides, why does this defense get used only when they do something negative?

It also sucks that people would jump to his defense and not the people targeted by that meme.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud