Author Topic: Daan on homophobia  (Read 65816 times)

TheDraught

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Daan on homophobia
« Reply #600 on: August 12, 2021, 11:08:01 PM »
I feel for Daan. I can't set a foot outside my house, turn on the television or browse online and I am overloaded with LBGT propaganda.

Life must be hard for him, skating everyday, touring the world, in short working his ass off and then has to deal with all this propaganda shoved down his throat.

All those billboards, daily pride parades, YouTube ads gloryfying the LBGT lifestyle, leaflets dropped from airplanes...

How can the poor fellow live his life?

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -163
« Reply #601 on: August 13, 2021, 12:45:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That’s his opinion. He isn’t saying anything negative or bashing anyone. My gay brother is getting married this fall. Showed him the photo, he laughed and agreed. So many soft cookies here, so quick to act tough and shit talk behind their screen about someone stating their opinion. But would never say anything face to face lol
[close]

We live in a society where people aren’t allowed to have their own opinions without anyone getting butt hurt.

How can anyone get offended by this shit ffs?
[close]

Thanks for telling us how other people should feel?  I wasn't offended at all by the meme, but that doesn't mean nobody else should be either.  How the world works now is that people are allowed to express displeasure when they feel offended.  Nobody is going to "cancel" you unless you really go overboard or you double down on things that upset others.  It's really not a big deal, just recognize these situations and move on...

Just isn't a big deal or anything to batter an eyelid over to be frank - Just some dumb meme.

A generation packed with hypersensitive thin skins...

BsFrontblunt

• Rep: -8
« Reply #602 on: August 13, 2021, 01:06:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That’s his opinion. He isn’t saying anything negative or bashing anyone. My gay brother is getting married this fall. Showed him the photo, he laughed and agreed. So many soft cookies here, so quick to act tough and shit talk behind their screen about someone stating their opinion. But would never say anything face to face lol
[close]

We live in a society where people aren’t allowed to have their own opinions without anyone getting butt hurt.

[close]

Thanks for telling us how other people should feel?  I wasn't offended at all by the meme, but that doesn't mean nobody else should be either.  How the world works now is that people are allowed to express displeasure when they feel offended.  Nobody is going to "cancel" you unless you really go overboard or you double down on things that upset others.  It's really not a big deal, just recognize these situations and move on...
Not a big deal? Tell that to the mods in here that are banning people left and right for asking questions 😂

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -163
« Reply #603 on: August 13, 2021, 01:15:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Not a big deal? Tell that to the mods in here that are banning people left and right for asking questions 😂

Such as?

Eskorbut0

• Rep: -2
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #604 on: August 13, 2021, 01:16:05 AM »
Fuck the mods

Oldirtypasta

• Rep: -1
« Reply #605 on: August 13, 2021, 03:30:39 AM »
He's been a moron to post that but, on the other hand, June and pride month is always pretty wild. People and companies who never gave a fuck about LGBT community during the year are adding colors and posting about it on socials. It definitely helps spread the word but there's a lot of hypocrisy around that and every corporation is obviously trying to hard at being socially responsable, while poisoning the world to produce a burger. Where's your post on Earth day ? Come on!

It's like when Micheal Jackson died and all the 40 years old women from south of Italy started flowing FB with grieving posts like they were their biggest fans, while the only song they knew was thriller and they been listening for fucking Eros Ramazzotti for the past 20 years. Shit is ridicolous

Honestly I think that's what the meme was about, Daan was just not thinking about his position.

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #606 on: August 13, 2021, 04:12:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Such as?

I noticed that AsAboveSoBelow guy got banned.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #607 on: August 13, 2021, 07:11:21 AM »
Eros Ramazzotti
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #608 on: August 13, 2021, 07:36:08 AM »
He's been a moron to post that but, on the other hand, June and pride month is always pretty wild. People and companies who never gave a fuck about LGBT community during the year are adding colors and posting about it on socials. It definitely helps spread the word but there's a lot of hypocrisy around that and every corporation is obviously trying to hard at being socially responsable, while poisoning the world to produce a burger. Where's your post on Earth day ? Come on!

It's like when Micheal Jackson died and all the 40 years old women from south of Italy started flowing FB with grieving posts like they were their biggest fans, while the only song they knew was thriller and they been listening for fucking Eros Ramazzotti for the past 20 years. Shit is ridicolous

Honestly I think that's what the meme was about, Daan was just not thinking about his position.
Or he could just not like gay people. I don’t get the need for these mental gymnastics. If he’d wanted to say “I don’t like all this corporate phoniness” he could have just said that.

I don’t see the harm in corporate phoniness. A world where corporations say nice things about gay people is better than one where they don’t. If you’re upset about corporate behavior maybe you need to look at how gay people got them to adopt their position and adapt your strategy to get them to adopt yours.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #609 on: August 13, 2021, 07:38:15 AM »

oh shut up you fucking dork, did you really think this was the enlightened take that you just HAD to sign up and drop?

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1405
« Reply #610 on: August 13, 2021, 07:40:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Such as?
[close]

I noticed that AsAboveSoBelow guy got banned.

Yeah he and Kamil were on some real homophobic shit

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #611 on: August 13, 2021, 07:40:56 AM »

Mildly annoying but not propaganda, just keep scrolling and shut the fuck up

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #612 on: August 13, 2021, 09:03:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Just isn't a big deal or anything to batter an eyelid over to be frank - Just some dumb meme.

A generation packed with hypersensitive thin skins...

Think what you will about the meme but the reality of it is it gave closed minded people the power to come out the woodwork and post hateful comments on the apology post.

Hypersensitive skins? We're just supporting a group of people that have been severely marginalized and attacked for years. A group of people that have been disowned by their families, made fun of and beaten (sometimes to death) for what? Who they're attracted to or for being born with the opposite gender's brain? People are still afraid to come out and be themselves and I think it's nice that the world is being more accepting of them if and when they do. Is that so wrong?

I grew up in a time where the f slur was thrown around very casually and am happy to see it's not so common anymore. Hell, I'm straight and have probably been called that over a 100 times in my life. It didn't shake me too much but if that happened to someone in the LGBT community it might've made them feel demoralized and shitty.

foureyedjim

« Reply #613 on: August 13, 2021, 09:05:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, people keep doubling down so…*shrug*

It’s kinda like how you wouldn’t keep trying to hangout with people that clearly don’t want to be your friend.  Nobody is obligated to be your friend, and nobody is obligated to respond to your words/actions favorably (or tolerate it at all). 

Lisa96

« Reply #614 on: August 13, 2021, 09:09:30 AM »
Even if it’s disingenuous I think it’s a step in the right direction. It’s not propaganda lol

Magnolia

• Rep: 462
  • She/They
« Reply #615 on: August 13, 2021, 09:30:52 AM »
Even if it’s disingenuous I think it’s a step in the right direction. It’s not propaganda lol
my thoughts exactly. I take these sorts of apologies with a grain of salt, but if Daan baacks it up by continuing to learn and grow that's the best possible outcome
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #616 on: August 13, 2021, 10:20:09 AM »
Time will tell but I'm good with this

#supportDLX

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #617 on: August 13, 2021, 10:22:35 AM »

I disagree with your post, but like how specific you are. What's the deal with June? What about the women of Northern Italy? How about women in their 30s or 50s? Only Eros Ramazotti?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #618 on: August 13, 2021, 11:12:54 AM »
i’ve kept my mouth shut in this thread for the most part but i will say i don’t think this situation is like women in northern italy mourning michael jackson at all

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #619 on: August 13, 2021, 11:17:22 AM »
i’ve kept my mouth shut in this thread for the most part but i will say i don’t think this situation is like women in northern italy mourning michael jackson at all

no its a direct comparison you goober

sphincterparty

• Rep: -5
« Reply #620 on: August 13, 2021, 01:04:00 PM »

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -278
« Reply #621 on: August 13, 2021, 01:18:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
my thoughts exactly. I take these sorts of apologies with a grain of salt, but if Daan baacks it up by continuing to learn and grow that's the best possible outcome

Can one of the SJWs in this thread please elaborate on this whole “learn and grow” thing?

Like, are you - the guys that want to tear people’s’ careers down or not be seen with any of Daans products over a fucking meme on an social media page done with learning and growing? And everyone that disagrees with you needs to learn and grow to reach your high status?

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #622 on: August 13, 2021, 01:21:39 PM »
are people still giving away f4s. are they conical fulls and new

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1405
« Reply #623 on: August 13, 2021, 01:28:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Can one of the SJWs in this thread please elaborate on this whole “learn and grow” thing?

Like, are you - the guys that want to tear people’s’ careers down or not be seen with any of Daans products done with learning and growing? And everyone that disagrees with you needs to learn and grow to reach your high status?

I'm certainly not a complete and perfect person, but i try and be introspective and ask myself how others would feel. I've been pretty open here on the boards about the fact that i grew up in an incredibly Christian and right wing environment and said a lot of homophobic things as a teenager and young man, but through becoming friends and coworkers with gay people, i changed my beliefs and did not want to be associated with anything that views them as sinners or less than straight people.I'm not really boycotting anyone's product considering I've never ridden an anti hero board or skated nikes, just saying "hey don't be homophobic, that sucks". And most of the arguments in here have been with people on the forums who want to say that it's not that homophobic or to just ignore it, which is easy to do if you're not affected by it.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 62
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #624 on: August 13, 2021, 01:37:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Like, are you - the guys that want to tear people’s’ careers down or not be seen with any of Daans products done with learning and growing? And everyone that disagrees with you needs to learn and grow to reach your high status?
[close]

I'm certainly not a complete and perfect person, but i try and be introspective and ask myself how others would feel. I've been pretty open here on the boards about the fact that i grew up in an incredibly Christian and right wing environment and said a lot of homophobic things as a teenager and young man, but through becoming friends and coworkers with gay people, i changed my beliefs and did not want to be associated with anything that views them as sinners or less than straight people.I'm not really boycotting anyone's product considering I've never ridden an anti hero board or skated nikes, just saying "hey don't be homophobic, that sucks". And most of the arguments in here have been with people on the forums who want to say that it's not that homophobic or to just ignore it, which is easy to do if you're not affected by it.

If only it were that simple.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #625 on: August 13, 2021, 01:45:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Most people are capable of seeing their own mistakes in general and learn from it, when it comes to cultural/ gender/ sex blind spots most people are willing to admit this.

the idea is in time he may be the personal who calls out his past biases and says yea, I used to be homophobic and its an incredibly stupid way to be, and I encourage people to not act that way

Oldirtypasta

• Rep: -1
« Reply #626 on: August 13, 2021, 01:52:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

oh shut up you fucking dork, did you really think this was the enlightened take that you just HAD to sign up and drop?

Hahahaha I just think you are taking this shitty meme too seriously. This is not even close to homophobia in my opinion and note that I am not justifying him, I am sayin that he is probably as dork as me. Were you grieving Michael Jackson at some point ?

boogs

cky enthusiast

« Reply #628 on: August 13, 2021, 02:22:47 PM »
me trying to live my life

the death of pop singer michael jackson

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #629 on: August 13, 2021, 03:00:38 PM »
I've been hoping to weigh in for the past week but I still can't find the words. I know, big whoop, most of you hate my commentary anyway. Most of you prefer to make empty jokes about things and forget it. Being aloof can be pleasant. But you can't be aloof about shit that threatens you for your life.

I'm just gonna try. Let me start by saying a disclaimer. This shit stresses me out & I will not succeed in eloquence or brevity. I am not wise. I'm just emotional. I wish I could put all of this better, but there are many more who will top my efforts. For that I am redeemed. Alright, onward.

The problem isn't what is or is not homophobic; it's not what people can and can't say on their social media; it's also not how messy comment sections can get. Those are all red herrings. Most of the time the topic shifts to the theory of homophobia, whether people have the right to do what they please on Instagram, and whether blowback defeats the purpose of apology. All of these are diversions.

Every time a pro exposes their otherwise implicit disgust for trans & queer people, we're gonna run into this same mess. We as an audience are generally more concerned with the spectacle, and skate companies as businesses are definitively more concerned with covering their assets.

So what is the problem.

The problem is that it's natural for cis & straight people not to care, not to be concerned with the livelihood of trans & queer people. What you see as homophobic or even appropriate behavior doesn't matter to us, and I hate to be blunt. At the end of the day you don't care. You will never have to care & therefore you will never care. It's natural for you to conserve your energy. But your perspective does not affect how shitty life is for each of us. Whether you get it or not, we're still going to suffer every day. The world outside our own community has yet to realize that we need shit to change. We do not need to be understood. We do not need to be appreciated. We need shit to change. The world has been constructed around ideas that we do not accept. The world has been constructed around us either not existing, or being snuffed at the first sign of life. We will always be misunderstood & people will always dislike us. We don't care. We do not have permission, but we do not need permission. We do not need to be liked. We need to be able to live past our youth. We need to know that we'll be able to see doctors when we are sick. We need to know that we can meet new people or go on dates with our significant others or even go into the public and not be murdered. We need to know that we can be approved for social services. We need to know that we can be approved for work. We need to know that we can be approved for housing. We need to know that our families wont jettison us and leave us for dead in cities that push us onto the street without anywhere to go but into sex work with men who will murder us for their own shame. We need to know that our governments won't center legislation around declaring us criminal, inhuman or non-existent. We need to know that we can be safe coming out & not force ourselves to live miserably & closeted. We need to know that it's better to not commit suicide. For most of us that's the only opportunity with promise.

The problem is sadly that if you're cis & straight your life is constructed to annihilate us. If you are cis & straight you are a homophobe, a transphobe, etc. It does not make a difference if you agree. It does not make a difference if you express it in private or in public. You are a proponent of the world that wants us dead, regardless of how you conduct your life. Yes it is bleak. But for us, it's the base-level of life. If we could change it, we would. But that power does not lie in our hands. It is up to you to be an anti-homophobe, an anti-transphobe, or to be what this world determines you to be.

Thanks for bearing with me. I know this is a lot. Many of you care for me deeply and I appreciate you all, so very much. Many of you dislike me and that's not my problem. Please know that trolling me would be a waste of your time, not mine. Yes I spent a lot of time typing this up, and it was not a second that I wasted. I feel lovely.