Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 133672 times)

hobochimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2021, 02:51:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like Oski but non-big 4 truck companies don’t seem to last or don’t really take off. Probably the riskiest type of company in skating.
[close]

There’s room if you do it right…

No gimmicks:

titanium blend
IKP
Locking nut mechanism
Magnesium
Interlocking bushings
Etc

What you need is something no one else brings to the  table/fill a void.

Theeve came out swinging with Ti better QC and turning than stage X but stagnated; forged plates may have helped…and a better name.

If ACE had fucking thought it through they would’ve followed up with the rumors and done a hollow version at launch of the AF1 and checked their QC…They would’ve gained so much ground…And no, it’s not that they need to have it to be a quality truck they need to have it to capture mind share of those Ti hollow Indy thunder venture users..

And of course you need a team…theeve had hawk, smart move.

You think Deeds (kills it) is getting kids to ride Ace?

Honestly a truck company needs to steel thunder riders to gain ground these days…
[close]

Yes.

I bought my first set of aces because of deedz, my second set because of Ville Wester.

This new truck co seems cool though. If they’re lighter than aces and turn the same im all in

fartface

• Rep: 8
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2021, 03:17:29 PM »

[/quote]

Sweden representz! Im in Falkenberg.

Was the front and back truck same geo? One of the screenshots from the ace thread Made it look like the hangers sat diffrently on the baseplate.
[/quote]
Heja Sverige!

Yeah, they looked the same.
Turned really good.
"Childhood diabetes on lock"

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2021, 03:22:24 PM »
I like Oski but non-big 4 truck companies don’t seem to last or don’t really take off. Probably the riskiest type of company in skating.
Idk how people can count Ace, assuming that's the fourth, as a big truck company. You need at least 20 years in business imo for that.
Regarding the "not taking off" part I disagree. Film is fucking great.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2021, 05:01:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Idk how people can count Ace, assuming that's the fourth, as a big truck company. You need at least 20 years in business imo for that.

I mean, I remember seeing ace in the Bay Area around 04/05, that’s pretty close to 20 years
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

LebowskisRug

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2021, 06:45:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Market share. Film can be great but getting them in the US, which is one of if not the biggest markets is pretty hard. Destructo, Krux, and Royal have been around 20 years and i have seen each of those in the wild in the last year at a single spot and yet to see a Film. I wouldn’t consider any “big” just because of heritage.

IMO if that’s the final hanger design it looks the worst of any truck brand since Monster or Kreeper.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:40:43 PM by LebowskisRug »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2021, 06:58:27 PM »
It almost looks like the old Indy Stage II (2) shape.

That one might be the clearest pic...

As per the post in the Ace thread, they look more like the Indy stage 1 from 1978 than 2 from 1979.

The current Indy Stage 11 (eleven) 109s actually have the same look, to go back to the old Indy look too, so although I have never skated them, people say they turn really well and hold up better than some of the newer trucks on the market, so who knows.

Just leaving this here:

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 07:08:01 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2021, 08:59:15 PM »
watching some CPH open stuff on Instagram I saw Oski come off his board when trying to push and thought it was pretty peculiar.

Makes sense now  ;D  Probably not used to them yet or a sample model being tested.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2021, 09:00:32 PM »
@Mbrimson88 thats an interesting photo of the old stages,

Is there a pic anywhere with all of them?

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2021, 09:11:02 PM »
That’s funny, since not too long ago it was “the big 3.”

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2021, 09:14:26 PM »
@Mbrimson88 thats an interesting photo of the old stages,

Is there a pic anywhere with all of them?

Pretty sure there is somewhere, but I will usually find a number of pics and put them together for people.  I should really save that pic list, but will send you some more info with pic links.

In the mean time, this is maybe the best article (with sneaky links to most stages), with I to IV (one to four) being thin, then Stage V to VIII (five to eight) being super solid and thick looking, then Stage 9 being a thinner street truck which becomes 10 and 11.

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/05/08/look-cult-independent-trucks/

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2021, 02:38:40 AM »

Is this a photoshopped photo? Where are the bushing between the hanger and baseplate. It looks like 2 blocks of metal in direct contact. Am I going crazy?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2021, 05:02:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is this a photoshopped photo? Where are the bushing between the hanger and baseplate. It looks like 2 blocks of metal in direct contact. Am I going crazy?

Just the angle of the board and a screen grab from that Instagram clip.

The second pic from the same Instagram clip has a good view of everything, but the pic from the previous page that I blew up also shows way more, which looks very similar to the other trucks, the current Indy 109s above.

They look a bit like freestyle sized Independents with that T-shaped hanger.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 05:09:46 AM by Mbrimson88 »

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2021, 05:37:08 AM »
I'd definitely be down to try a set. I love the stage 1 look.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2021, 06:00:38 AM »
Looks like someone blew up a set of tech deck trucks to me. I'd have to see them in person before committing to a set.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

gabbesucks

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2021, 06:32:13 AM »
New post on the Lurpiv Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTe1cKxjzJL/?utm_medium=copy_link

For the non Instagram users - https://streamable.com/m93g44

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

gabbesucks

smoothbrain

• Rep: 23
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2021, 07:23:05 AM »
The shape of that hanger looks very strange to me compared to the squareness of the front of the truck I thought they’d have more of a straight axle like aces have

smoothbrain

• Rep: 23
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2021, 07:26:45 AM »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2021, 07:29:46 AM »

Yeah, in the first shots they looked like solid blocks of metal, and I couldn’t even conceive of how they worked. Now that I see them, I can see they’re conventional trucks and I like the stark, brutalist look. It’s the sort of shape I’d actually expect to see out of Northern Europe.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2021, 07:37:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, in the first shots they looked like solid blocks of metal, and I couldn’t even conceive of how they worked. Now that I see them, I can see they’re conventional trucks and I like the stark, brutalist look. It’s the sort of shape I’d actually expect to see out of Northern Europe.

Guess they are going for that "cyber truck" look... Polarising but I kinda dig it.
I also kinda hated how thin ACEs looked but over time it grew on me and now I really like it.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2021, 08:21:49 AM »
In regards to those SKF bearings. I remember in the early-ish 2000’s (maybe? Closer to the 2010’s maybe?) SKF entering the skate market, being advertised in skate mags, maybe the Skateboard mag for sure. They did a promotion where you got a free set of SKF bearings with a subscription and I always meant to do that, but never did. Andrew Reynolds skated for them for a very short time, was in their ads.

I worked at a dairy in Pittsburgh from 2010-2014. A friend of mine was a maintenance worker for the dairy and got me the job. One overnight shift, he gave me a tour of all the books and crannies of the plant and in the maintenance area they had a shit ton of bearings stocked for all of the different machines and equipment there. They were all made by SKF, and I instantly thought of the skate connection. Very random, I know.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2021, 08:54:47 AM »
In regards to those SKF bearings. I remember in the early-ish 2000’s (maybe? Closer to the 2010’s maybe?) SKF entering the skate market, being advertised in skate mags, maybe the Skateboard mag for sure. They did a promotion where you got a free set of SKF bearings with a subscription and I always meant to do that, but never did. Andrew Reynolds skated for them for a very short time, was in their ads.

I worked at a dairy in Pittsburgh from 2010-2014. A friend of mine was a maintenance worker for the dairy and got me the job. One overnight shift, he gave me a tour of all the books and crannies of the plant and in the maintenance area they had a shit ton of bearings stocked for all of the different machines and equipment there. They were all made by SKF, and I instantly thought of the skate connection. Very random, I know.

SKF make the best industrial bearings in the world, as well as some really nice square taper bottom brackets for bicycles, if that’s your thing. I know the North American distributor for those, actually. Anyway, I assume they’re approach to skateboarding was typically German and hence failed to catch on, but I have no doubt that they can produce a bearing at or above the quality of a Bones Swiss.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2021, 09:02:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

SKF make the best industrial bearings in the world, as well as some really nice square taper bottom brackets for bicycles, if that’s your thing. I know the North American distributor for those, actually. Anyway, I assume they’re approach to skateboarding was typically German and hence failed to catch on, but I have no doubt that they can produce a bearing at or above the quality of a Bones Swiss.

SKF stands for "svenska kullager fabriken", transalates to "swedish bearing factory"

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2021, 09:15:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

SKF stands for "svenska kullager fabriken", transalates to "swedish bearing factory"

My mistake. The guy I know who distributes SKF bike stuff is German, I guess that’s why I was assumed they too were German.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2021, 09:22:55 AM »
The Oski SKF's are cheaper then buying SKF 608-RS individually. This makes me thing they might have scimped on tolerances. If not its a bargain!

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2021, 10:11:06 AM »
Skf actually invented the ball bearing. The bearings from 2010s with Reynolds and Tommy Gunz were terrible though, the outer bearing on the back wheel exploded when locking in on a 50-50 on a ledge and the wheel flew of, on the first or second session.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2021, 10:23:37 AM »
I’ll be bummed if Oski leaves/has left Ace, but the new trucks look interesting
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

gabbesucks

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2021, 11:29:19 AM »

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2021, 11:32:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

it looks like a bad digital artifact due to low light, harsh angles, and white bushings.