Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 143330 times)

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #900 on: December 27, 2021, 03:36:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Kader rides fairly tight IIRC when he was on Indy he always rode the blue or black bushings cranked a bit. There was some screen capture a while back that showed some threads showing on his Ventures, which for me would be tight and I’m bigger than he is.

Same with Oski- he posted his fresh deck once and you could see he rocked both risers and a couple threads showing on his Ace’s
[close]

Good observations! Which leads me to think that riding the Lurpiv stock inverted kingpins with medium tightness will be the most sound choice from both engineering and longevity standpoints. That is what I have done and will oontinue to do. Riding them very loose is sketch for sure. At the end of the day if your trucks are so loose that your hanger flies off without any warning sign then your setup was probably pretty reckless. I think I have heard of the kingpin nut coming undone with regular kingpins too. Pretty sure I saw someone here recommending putting the kingpin nut on with the nylock down for safety ;D

Anyway Lurpiv now has the task to improve the product based on the feedback. To anyone reading these dicussions in awe - in my opinion online discussions between hobbyists should be taken with a slight pinch of salt. Talks of catastrophic failure points are overblown. I ride them in a pretty gnarly park and again have had no issues. The pop actually feels really good, possibly even better than Indys. I was among the first people to receive them so I had no prejudice either. If anything, the big news is the 9-stair guy bending a pair. That could be a sign of the hanger design not being able to withstand heavy impacts like other brands (which bend too under the right circumstances).
[close]

I think this can be also due to the type of testing they doing. I don't know the technical terms, but it's a quite different type of force applied when you jump down a stair set (quick burst of forte applied in the moment of impact) to a like a hydraulic machine trying to bend the trucks (long and continuous force applied) like they were doing on a IG post a few days ago.
Dunno what's the actual difference cause I didn't study that shit, kinda just guessing...
[close]

You only saw one test on IG

That only means they filmed and posted one test.

I mean they are stress testing. They have a range of tests to conduct. Do you seriously think they only did that one test ? Seriously?

Yes, why not? There's no governing body in the skate industry to set standards. And anecdotally I've worked over a decade doing shitty manufacturing jobs (CNC, assembly, finishing, QC). If there's a way to cut corners and save money, unfortunately, it's the route the corprorate overlords favor.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1312
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #901 on: December 27, 2021, 03:40:37 PM »
I messaged them on Christmas eve about the kingpins and they arrived today. Some impressive customer service right there.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #902 on: December 27, 2021, 05:44:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Kader rides fairly tight IIRC when he was on Indy he always rode the blue or black bushings cranked a bit. There was some screen capture a while back that showed some threads showing on his Ventures, which for me would be tight and I’m bigger than he is.

Same with Oski- he posted his fresh deck once and you could see he rocked both risers and a couple threads showing on his Ace’s
[close]

Good observations! Which leads me to think that riding the Lurpiv stock inverted kingpins with medium tightness will be the most sound choice from both engineering and longevity standpoints. That is what I have done and will oontinue to do. Riding them very loose is sketch for sure. At the end of the day if your trucks are so loose that your hanger flies off without any warning sign then your setup was probably pretty reckless. I think I have heard of the kingpin nut coming undone with regular kingpins too. Pretty sure I saw someone here recommending putting the kingpin nut on with the nylock down for safety ;D

Anyway Lurpiv now has the task to improve the product based on the feedback. To anyone reading these dicussions in awe - in my opinion online discussions between hobbyists should be taken with a slight pinch of salt. Talks of catastrophic failure points are overblown. I ride them in a pretty gnarly park and again have had no issues. The pop actually feels really good, possibly even better than Indys. I was among the first people to receive them so I had no prejudice either. If anything, the big news is the 9-stair guy bending a pair. That could be a sign of the hanger design not being able to withstand heavy impacts like other brands (which bend too under the right circumstances).
[close]

I think this can be also due to the type of testing they doing. I don't know the technical terms, but it's a quite different type of force applied when you jump down a stair set (quick burst of forte applied in the moment of impact) to a like a hydraulic machine trying to bend the trucks (long and continuous force applied) like they were doing on a IG post a few days ago.
Dunno what's the actual difference cause I didn't study that shit, kinda just guessing...
[close]

You only saw one test on IG

That only means they filmed and posted one test.

I mean they are stress testing. They have a range of tests to conduct. Do you seriously think they only did that one test ? Seriously?

I'm not saying that they are only doing that one type of test, but we don't know what other tests they are doing... I just talked about the one they shown, and my guess is that they are doing many others. They also posted this one where they try to drill a hole into a the hanger to show how durable it is, for example. 

but my point is, are those tests a proper representation of skateboarding wear and tear? Idk, but I hope so...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #903 on: December 27, 2021, 06:02:31 PM »
I doubt any skate companies do actually FEA or structural testing at this point. Trucks have been mostly unchanged for a long time minus a few geo and material tweaks most of which you can just field test.

Lurpiv tested the trucks under normal situations and honesty rattley loose isn’t normal. Most people don’t run their trucks so loose this is an issue. Indy mids can sometimes do this but it’s due to the nut and easily solved. I think issues with normal use don’t seem like they actually happen quite as severe as the truck falling apart, but it does loosen.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #904 on: December 27, 2021, 06:47:58 PM »
The past week or two I've had zero issues with loosening. Was the first few sessions I noticed it a teeny bit but I think they seem to have settled in pretty well

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #905 on: December 27, 2021, 07:46:55 PM »
lmfao at people justifying paying over $100 for a bent truck

gg oski

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #906 on: December 28, 2021, 04:19:58 AM »
lmfao at people justifying paying over $100 for a bent truck

gg oski
Finally, everyone can know what it's like buying trucks in europe

IpathCats

« Reply #907 on: December 28, 2021, 01:43:39 PM »
Despite the issues, I like how these trucks preform when they're working as intended. A forged baseplate for weight savings and a slight decrease in height, and maybe a full titanium axel would be ideal. Seems like the kingpin and axel nut issues have been addressed already.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #908 on: December 28, 2021, 07:26:26 PM »
I replaced my axle nuts with the ones they sent and the nylons still bulged out. I'm just gonna run regular nuts from another truck with outer speedrings when these crap out. How the hell did they fuck that up?

The replacement kingpins seem to fix the loosening issue tho. The ones they sent are identical to the stock lurpiv kingpins except the nut is thicker with more threads. Feels like its holding the kingpin more solid for now. Doesn't fit as a non inverted kingpin due to the design.

zozu

• Rep: 123
« Reply #909 on: December 28, 2021, 11:27:55 PM »
First session on my 149s this afternoon. nyloc is fine and the kingpins are still solid so makes me feel a bit better about my next skate on these trucks.

I love how they turn, it feels way better than how I remember my Ace Classics and very confidence inspiring at speed.
A random dude was perplexed at my tech deck trucks so I let him go for a hoon on my setup and it was amusing to watch him buck himself off every time he tried a sharp turn.

My flip tricks were pretty atrocious but I'm sure I'll get used to the pop timing eventually, feels very similar to Independents in that regard. (could also be because I was skating them on a 9 inch egg which is a first for me)
Grinds also felt amazing, very fast on my usually dry local ledges. Reminds me of how doing a grind in THPS speeds you up, that's actually how it felt.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #910 on: December 29, 2021, 01:51:33 AM »
I replaced my axle nuts with the ones they sent and the nylons still bulged out. I'm just gonna run regular nuts from another truck with outer speedrings when these crap out. How the hell did they fuck that up?

The replacement kingpins seem to fix the loosening issue tho. The ones they sent are identical to the stock lurpiv kingpins except the nut is thicker with more threads. Feels like its holding the kingpin more solid for now. Doesn't fit as a non inverted kingpin due to the design.

So the replacement kingpins they sent you are still inverted? Or did you get the new, regular kingpins already?

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #911 on: December 29, 2021, 07:33:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So the replacement kingpins they sent you are still inverted? Or did you get the new, regular kingpins already?
Still inverted :( They seem to hold better tho because the nut that goes in the baseplate is deeper and more substantial. My original kingpin nuts also have the nylons bulging and so far this new kingpin is holding up.

Axle nuts are still fucked tho. I don't know why that is so hard to get right. Tempted to try to scrape out the nylon and just use loctite on them.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #912 on: December 29, 2021, 08:10:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Still inverted :( They seem to hold better tho because the nut that goes in the baseplate is deeper and more substantial. My original kingpin nuts also have the nylons bulging and so far this new kingpin is holding up.

Axle nuts are still fucked tho. I don't know why that is so hard to get right. Tempted to try to scrape out the nylon and just use loctite on them.

Uhmm ok...  :-\

I think you can also just put some regular axle nuts on them, they'll fit.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #913 on: December 29, 2021, 09:29:25 AM »
Look at the x-rays. There’s a step at the bottom of the kingpin bore that matches up with the shoulder of the kingpin. My wild guess is that whomever designed these subscribed to the reverse kingpin/longboard school where bushing duro and not kingpin torque determines tightness of the truck.

I give it three iterations before they’re a Venture clone.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #914 on: December 29, 2021, 06:47:21 PM »
Look at the x-rays. There’s a step at the bottom of the kingpin bore that matches up with the shoulder of the kingpin. My wild guess is that whomever designed these subscribed to the reverse kingpin/longboard school where bushing duro and not kingpin torque determines tightness of the truck.

ok interesting, why exactly? do you see similarities or do you feel like lurpivs are trying to be something like actually good turning ventures? since people talk about how stable they feel. i like ventures currently and would be down to try lurpivs later down the line, maybe when a v2 comes out. i was considering getting aces next, but i like how ventures have some resistance. lurpivs seem like a good inbetween.

fwiw i managed to get my ventures pretty loose and squirrely, even though they don't reach up to indys, let alone aces.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #915 on: December 29, 2021, 10:33:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
ok interesting, why exactly? do you see similarities or do you feel like lurpivs are trying to be something like actually good turning ventures? since people talk about how stable they feel. i like ventures currently and would be down to try lurpivs later down the line, maybe when a v2 comes out. i was considering getting aces next, but i like how ventures have some resistance. lurpivs seem like a good inbetween.

fwiw i managed to get my ventures pretty loose and squirrely, even though they don't reach up to indys, let alone aces.

Nah, just goofing and based on what they’d look like with an added truss.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #916 on: December 30, 2021, 12:25:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lurpivs are for sure more stable than aces, possibly more than indys. But they're definitely not as stable and predictable as a venture, not sure thats possible while having a more surfy/turny truck.

logjammin

• Rep: 355
« Reply #917 on: December 30, 2021, 06:28:09 AM »
This truck would have been fine had they just used a regular style kingpin and included axle nuts that didn't have life saver gummies as nylock, and then there's the pair that already bent. I see no reason to buy these trucks based on the price and overseas shipping hassle for a product that you're essentially a beta tester for. Following in Ace's footsteps of replacement parts instead of fixing the issue that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #918 on: December 30, 2021, 10:51:41 AM »
This truck would have been fine had they just used a regular style kingpin and included axle nuts that didn't have life saver gummies as nylock, and then there's the pair that already bent. I see no reason to buy these trucks based on the price and overseas shipping hassle for a product that you're essentially a beta tester for. Following in Ace's footsteps of replacement parts instead of fixing the issue that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

No issues here, probably like most people ::)

manysnakes

« Reply #919 on: December 30, 2021, 12:52:14 PM »
Now, time to get nerdy **cuffs up the sleeves**

Kingpin side of the story… I think this is where these trucks fall short. That thing just isn't well thought through imo.
I was actually nerding out on it with @PuffinMuffin and I think I understand now why the kingpin is flawed.

I think there's 2 factors holding them back. Quality of the nuts, and the kingpin design itself:

So, first: Nuts aren't great to start with. They feel like a soft aluminium and I actually almost fucked up one of them when putting my wheels on cause it engaged a bit crooked and then it was a pain in the ass to actually correct the screw and be able to screw it back again. I think this happened cause my tool doesn't fit properly the size of the nut (metric scale used on these versus the inch scale of skate tools). Stiiiill, it was the first time screwing them, brand new nuts and axle, kinda crazy how the nut stripped right away with me barely putting any force. After like 30 mins trying to screw it properly I managed to get it in and it seems tight, but kinda worried about the next time I need to take the wheels off tho...
From what others said the Nylock isn't great either, which might explain why the kingpin gets loose with the vibration/impact and starts coming off. Which leads to my next point:

Second flaw: The kingpin gets thinner at the bottom to fit the same bolt size used on the axle.
On the pic bellow I'm holding the Kingpin nut against the axle one, it's same nut, same exact size:

This sounded really smart at first, consolidating parts, but after a deeper analyses I realised that the looser you have the trucks, the less contact you have between the baseplate and the kingpin. This makes it more prone to "boring out" the hole and getting a loose and wobbly kingpin.
I made this quick illustration on top of the X-ray of the Lurpivs I found on instagram (posted a few pages ago) to illustrate what I think it happens:

So the kingpin is the most stable when tight to the max. I filmed this quick video to show what I mean. The deeper it is the tighter it gets (that's what she said  8) ). But for the loose trucks crowd this is a big concern.

Also made this quick one to illustrate why I think that (in theory) a consistent width kingpin would make it less prone to boring out the hole and have a wobbly kingpin:

No sure if all of this makes sense, I ain't a engineer but as a product designer I like to analyse those things and figure how shit works...

I hope Lurpiv either finds a fix for this or just ditches the inverted kingpin altogether. (I actually saw them posting in the IG stories the other day someone that put a regular kingpin in them, so I might try to play around that later if they start giving me problems)
Tbh I always rode normal kingpins my whole life, and as a heavy smith/feeble fan I never felt the need of an inverted kingpin. Brings more problems than it solves as everyone can tell.

So, to conclude, I'm actually enjoying the hell out of my pair for now, it's a super fun ride. But I only had like 3 seshes in them yet (covid got me paused   :'( ).
It's not long enough to fell any drastic problem, altho I can see a slight kingpin wobble already. (or it's other people's complaints messing up with my head)... Let's see.
I think there's so much potential for this trucks to be amazing, honestly the most "comfortable" trucks I ever tried geometry wise. Lurpiv, get your shit together dawg, I wanna keep riding them!

Excuse me if this has already been covered, but what you're describing sounds correct. It's also exactly the problem with IKP which Paul Schmitt detailed in his most recent 9 Club appearance.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #920 on: December 31, 2021, 09:09:29 AM »
So I got my Lurpivs at last. Unfortunately I got them at a time when I am not allowed to skate after a surgery so I was only able to roll around but I still got a feeling for them which I can share with you.

I come from riding Indy standard 144s but I got the Lurpiv 149s because I ride 8.5 decks. I set the Lurpivs up on an already retired Ishod full with some 25 year old Spitfires at around 53mm. On the right my regular set up with the Neen twin nose, Indies and Bones 100's at around 48mm.

I went to the parking lot and only rolled around and practiced manuals. At first, the Lurpiv set up felt really high. Placing the two set ups next to each other you can see that they are the same height. On the left hand with the Indies I have a 1/8" riser but the wheels are ca. 5mm smaller, whereas on the Lurpivs I have no riser but taller wheels so in the end I guess they are really the same height (which they should be according to official measurements).

So how are the Lurpivs compared to the Indies? I ride the Indies medium loose (i.e. nuts flush with Bones HC bearings). When I stepped on the Lurpivs they were very loose to the point they were not stable so I tightened them down a few threads to the point they are stable when riding straight.

As others have pointed out the turn on the Lurpivs is amazing. I always liked the surfy turn on the Indies but the Lurpivs turn a lot better. The radius is much smaller on the Lurpivs and they do not wheelbite. On the Indies I get a lot of wheelbite even with those sub 50mm wheels if I ride them without risers. On the Lurpivs I did not get wheelbite without risers and with substantially bigger wheels. They are very responsive.

The overall weight of the Lurpiv set up is a tad heavier than the Indy set up but that is most likely due to the board being soggier, the wheels being larger and the trucks being wider.

Hole to hole wheelbase on both boards is identical but as you can see the Lurpivs make the wheelbase visibly smaller (ca. 5mm) compared to the Indies.

These are my impressions so far. Obviously, this is incomplete as I haven't popped a trick nor grinded them. Still I got a good feeling for the Lurpivs and look forward to further examine them once I am allowed to do sports again.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #921 on: January 02, 2022, 07:24:57 PM »
My back truck started loosening a bit today and when I tightened it back down (after taking the hanger off and rotating the bushings a bit, something I sometimes do), I may have stripped the threads built into the baseplate. Now its at a weird point where the truck won't come off if I loosen it indefinitely but it also won't tighten if I crank it down. And the setting is definitely too loose for me, bit of jiggle.

Back to ventures for now until my normal kingpins come and I can figure out how to get the hanger off, really liked skating these though.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #922 on: January 03, 2022, 03:43:02 PM »
My back truck started loosening a bit today and when I tightened it back down (after taking the hanger off and rotating the bushings a bit, something I sometimes do), I may have stripped the threads built into the baseplate. Now its at a weird point where the truck won't come off if I loosen it indefinitely but it also won't tighten if I crank it down. And the setting is definitely too loose for me, bit of jiggle.

Back to ventures for now until my normal kingpins come and I can figure out how to get the hanger off, really liked skating these though.

If you put weight on the hanger and hold it to one side, you should be able to wedge something in around the bushing area which can then put pressure on the kingpin so when you undo it, it should be able to come out.  I haven't seen the Lurpiv trucks in person, so don't know what kind of rim they have, but a flat head screwdriver that you can angle upwards might work.  Just don't put too much pressure on the truck itself.

I used to do this with deck bolts that the heads had stripped although not the same process - but once you wedge it in place or put pressure on it, you might be able to get do it one last time to get the thing out, then put in replacements when they arrive, as you said.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

slothrop

• Rep: 13
« Reply #923 on: January 03, 2022, 11:10:44 PM »

no wheel bite tech

So before he woke up, I shaved off my eyebrows, too. That way, whenever he woke up the next day, he’d probably say something like, “Hey, you don’t have any eyebrows!”
“Neither do you.”
That w

zozu

• Rep: 123
« Reply #924 on: January 04, 2022, 03:26:18 AM »
these trucks definitely wheelbite, have the marks to prove it.

I cant tell if my kingpin is loosening or if I am just imagining it. I was thinking that running these without the washers would mean you can tighten the inverted kingpin further into the baseplate where the shaft has more contact with the bore. Might try this out tomorrow.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #925 on: January 04, 2022, 05:16:05 AM »

I cant tell if my kingpin is loosening or if I am just imagining it. I was thinking that running these without the washers would mean you can tighten the inverted kingpin further into the baseplate where the shaft has more contact with the bore. Might try this out tomorrow.

I think you will probably ruin the bushings that way… Problem is more the nut on the baseplate that is too soft and the Nyloc sucks so it easily unscrews itself and is prone to strip.
Pretty sure you can try to use some regular Axle nuts instead (they’ll fit the kingpin and the baseplate) and it should hold it better already.

And on the no-wheelbite thing, I think they are kinda taking the piss, but they definitely wheelbite less than any other truck I had, which is impressive for a truck that turns fairly deep and tight.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #926 on: January 04, 2022, 05:23:25 AM »

Did you get a look at the amount of exposed bolt before you mounted the trucks? Mine had at least 4 or 5 full threads exposed after the nylock and still felt on the looser side of medium. And what Sk.A.T.A.N said, that hex head will shred the shit out of the top bushing in short order.

laterskater

• Rep: 3
« Reply #927 on: January 04, 2022, 08:37:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think you will probably ruin the bushings that way… Problem is more the nut on the baseplate that is too soft and the Nyloc sucks so it easily unscrews itself and is prone to strip.
Pretty sure you can try to use some regular Axle nuts instead (they’ll fit the kingpin and the baseplate) and it should hold it better already.

And on the no-wheelbite thing, I think they are kinda taking the piss, but they definitely wheelbite less than any other truck I had, which is impressive for a truck that turns fairly deep and tight.

I have been riding mine without washers and I haven’t had any problems with the hex ruining the bushing yet. I’m sure it’ll tear it up eventually, but no problems after 3 weeks of riding them that way (probably 20 hours or so). I weigh 150 so your mileage may vary. I also ran a flat washer on top for a little bit but I took that off because I enjoyed them more without washers. I would recommend running the trucks without washers because they feel so much more turny and fun.

And I agree, you can tighten the kingpin further which makes the trucks feel more secure. The aluminum on these trucks feels a lot harder to me, so I’m not anticipating the kingpin hole boring out as quickly as some are suspecting.

I also put a normal axle nut in the baseplate. The kingpin screwed into the nut fine and it feels tight and secure. I’ve only had one session on them so can’t comment on how well it works yet.

I’m riding 60mm Spitfire Kader’s without risers. They wheelbite but they turn much deeper than any other truck would with 60mm wheels. I had hardly any wheelbite at all with 57mm wheels on prior to the 60s.

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #928 on: January 04, 2022, 09:57:23 AM »
anyone try these trucks on a 14.5 wb deck? i prefer 14.25s on af1s or indys but really want to try the p2 shape

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #929 on: January 04, 2022, 02:26:17 PM »
anyone try these trucks on a 14.5 wb deck? i prefer 14.25s on af1s or indys but really want to try the p2 shape

P2 is actually 14.375” wb like all Polar decks that claim to be 14.5” wb.