Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 143364 times)

Koutsi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #990 on: January 21, 2022, 04:46:32 AM »
Set screw will not solve the issue alone. I hope there is a newly designed nut inside the baseplate. The fact that they just "extended" 149 hanger is also disappointing. Imagine if they go wider...

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #991 on: January 21, 2022, 06:01:33 AM »
That extra allen bolt is such a bad idea.

correcting bad design with even worst design

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #992 on: January 21, 2022, 07:13:45 AM »
Expand Quote
That extra allen bolt is such a bad idea.
[close]

correcting bad design with even worst design

How so?  KP won’t back out and should help wobbly as well. Of course, the grub screw should be flush or recessed and may also back out. I think it’s a good idea to try on my well worn Indy’s.

^also concede it’s total bs for what is trying to be a premium brand with heavy innovation & “design” overtones

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #993 on: January 21, 2022, 07:25:21 AM »
Did the Lurpiv team really put in as little R&D to their trucks as it seems? I have big love for Oski and would like to try a pair of these, but why does it seem like the SLAP nerds, only after paying for a set of trucks, are the ones finding a ton of flaws?

manysnakes

« Reply #994 on: January 21, 2022, 07:42:21 AM »
pontus just posted the 159s on his story. there seems to a resolution for the kingpin shit

https://imgur.com/gallery/Uo1r1rW

lol can't wait to eat shit and flatspot my wheels on this

manysnakes

« Reply #995 on: January 21, 2022, 07:45:02 AM »
Did the Lurpiv team really put in as little R&D to their trucks as it seems? I have big love for Oski and would like to try a pair of these, but why does it seem like the SLAP nerds, only after paying for a set of trucks, are the ones finding a ton of flaws?

The same thing happened with the AF1. I have like ten friends on them with no complaints, but here they're dangerously flawed.

With that said, the only person I know in real life who bought the Lurpivs (who does not post on Slap) had the kingpin rattle loose and is generally very disappointed in them.

IpathCats

« Reply #996 on: January 21, 2022, 07:45:26 AM »

Seems that way. Especially the coming loose issue.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1312
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #997 on: January 21, 2022, 10:15:25 AM »
Lol as if riding lurpivs wasn't "look at me" enough, now people will have to watch me stick an allen key into my baseplate so my kingpins don't fall out. I'm ready to just run my lurpivs rattly loose and switch back to ace if the kingpins fall out.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #998 on: January 21, 2022, 10:18:17 AM »
If these were any other brand people would be roasting the fuck out of them.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #999 on: January 21, 2022, 11:56:32 AM »
If these were any other brand people would be roasting the fuck out of them.

oh absolutely, but that's how things are with cases like these. if this was another brand without someone that people within the scene respect, then the consumers would probably be less willing to provide feedback and wouldn't be willing to 'wait and see' with the brand. on top of that, they didn't completely shit the bed on their rollout and have - from this thread and instagram posts - seem to be stepping up about the failures. for instance, i haven't heard about them mass deleting instagram comments or anything like some other less well received brands tend to do.
and i will add that there's been some pretty polite roasting itt, more of a braising i guess lol

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1000 on: January 21, 2022, 12:18:53 PM »
I had this Allen key experiment shown to me the other day and I just rolled my eyes. It’s waaaayyy to gimmicky, it might fix it but it also adds one more step to something that shouldn’t be that complicated.  :-\

And honestly I don’t understand why they just can’t let go the fuckin’ inverted kingpin… is it really a deal breaker to anyone? I always rode a regular kingpin my whole life and I never felt like it hindered my feeble/Smith’s if you engineer some good clearance (look at ventures).
And I’m like, if you go inverted at least take the most material you can out of the way. The fact it still has the nut shape makes it stick out and its so pointy that when it sticks it really sticks, at least I felt it in this rougher ledge I was trying to skate the other day. I would prefer something like a Grindking or a Krux k4 kingpin where you only use the Allen but it really lowers it to the max.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 12:29:23 PM by Sk.A.T.A.N »

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #1001 on: January 21, 2022, 01:05:40 PM »
I expect it was a matter of trying to fix it with as few tweaks to their tooling/molds as possible. Hopefully it's just a temporary measure and a better fix will be implemented in later revisions of the truck.

slothrop

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1002 on: January 21, 2022, 01:08:09 PM »
to be honest it seems more like a Band-Aid for the current situation.
  Here's to hoping that the manufacturing being local they can easily work on solving  it.  My question is you do see some riding them with no issues (it seems) and also in an earlier video John Magnusson stating if you have no issue keep riding the inverted. So is it an issue with all of them or is it dependant on how much you crank em or what?

So before he woke up, I shaved off my eyebrows, too. That way, whenever he woke up the next day, he’d probably say something like, “Hey, you don’t have any eyebrows!”
“Neither do you.”
That w

IpathCats

« Reply #1003 on: January 21, 2022, 01:14:34 PM »
I had this Allen key experiment shown to me the other day and I just rolled my eyes. It’s waaaayyy to gimmicky, it might fix it but it also adds one more step to something that shouldn’t be that complicated.  :-\

And honestly I don’t understand why they just can’t let go the fuckin’ inverted kingpin… is it really a deal breaker to anyone? I always rode a regular kingpin my whole life and I never felt like it hindered my feeble/Smith’s if you engineer some good clearance (look at ventures).
And I’m like, if you go inverted at least take the most material you can out of the way. The fact it still has the nut shape makes it stick out and its so pointy that when it sticks it really sticks, at least I felt it in this rougher ledge I was trying to skate the other day. I would prefer something like a Grindking or a Krux k4 kingpin where you only use the Allen but it really lowers it to the max.

Yea, the IKP on lurpivs really doesn't accomplish what it should in my mind. That is one pretty objective letdown I have with these. I was catching super hard while smithing this rail the other day. I could see where the IKP was scratching the rail. I like lurpivs for the turn/stability combo, I haven't found that elsewhere. And they grind about as good as Indy's imo.

white guy in a durag

« Reply #1004 on: January 21, 2022, 01:16:20 PM »
  Here's to hoping that the manufacturing being local they can easily work on solving  it.  My question is you do see some riding them with no issues (it seems) and also in an earlier video John Magnusson stating if you have no issue keep riding the inverted. So is it an issue with all of them or is it dependant on how much you crank em or what?

Mine work with no issue on the og inverted ones on medium/loose. I think it gets worse the more you loosen them and, since they have a kinda dead zone in the center, the dudes coming from ace or indy that want the twitchier feel are loosening them past the threshold to get that.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #1005 on: January 21, 2022, 01:47:19 PM »

For sure its dependent on how tight you ride them. Im kinda loose on the front and fairly tight on the back truck so the only one that loosened for me was the front one so i just switched that one out and left the inverted in the back truck

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1006 on: January 21, 2022, 02:17:56 PM »
My front truck developed a fairly consistent loosening. Not falling off loose or anything, but having to tighten it every day is less than ideal. Despite my living in the truck thread I'm generally a 'set it and forget it' kind of person once they're on there. So that's a bummer. But seriously.....that 'fix' is dogshit. That's a running repair, not a design improvement. I've had grub/set screws fail under way less stress than what a kingpin sees. I don't think the dudes involved need to be roasted into oblivion, but read the writing on the wall, pause, source a normal kingpin and solve the only real issue these trucks have (so far). Definitely gonna wait until a real solution pops up rather than be a beta tester, cause the offered solutions so far... a sorta-set-in-but-not-really regular kingpin or an aluminum threaded set screw are not appealing.

logjammin

• Rep: 355
« Reply #1007 on: January 21, 2022, 03:49:39 PM »
In my experience on this planet, mostly everyone I've ever known who might be even slightly close to how OCD I can get with my board set-ups (especially trucks), almost none of them have ever complained about kingpins catching. I suck, yet I think an inverted kingpin is going to make me slash/grind/stall better. Meanwhile everyone else who actually rips just shreds right through it down to the axle. I think others on here would agree that an inverted kingpin isn't as much of a necessity as people make it out to be. As long as it sits a decent amount underneath the axle in terms of modern truck type clearance, it's probably fine.

The interesting "T" hanger aesthetic, rheocasting method, made in Sweden and founded/owed by two skaters from different generations is already a pretty neat thing to come to the market. I think they need to just go back to the drawing board and focus on making a truck that has a no-slip no-bend axle and a regular kingpin with good clearance...that's it. People will still be stoked on them and I think they will still be successful as time goes on. Keep the quality control consistent, don't put those regular kingpin/axle nuts on there. Sounds like they turn just as good as Ace, so just by having better QC they'd already have 'em beat.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1008 on: January 21, 2022, 05:21:50 PM »
By page 36 the next innovative fix for these will be "vibes".

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 551
« Reply #1009 on: January 21, 2022, 06:39:31 PM »
I foresee a lot of stripped threads on the kingpins from that set screw. Did they machine flats in the kingpin? I’m guessing it just snugs onto the threads. Their ‘fix’ is just going to create more problems. Nothing against Oski or Lurpivs. Just stating it’s a new problem they created.

slothrop

« Reply #1010 on: January 22, 2022, 12:51:30 AM »

i mean they dont fuck around  pity its not the same for everyone tho haha
http://clips.twitch.tv/GeniusEndearingSquirrelKappaPride-ucP6PxxGdEgJe34t
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 01:12:07 AM by slothrop »

So before he woke up, I shaved off my eyebrows, too. That way, whenever he woke up the next day, he’d probably say something like, “Hey, you don’t have any eyebrows!”
“Neither do you.”
That w

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #1011 on: January 22, 2022, 07:03:09 AM »
It’s just a set screw, I don’t see what’s so complicated, inconvenient, or controversial about it. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1012 on: January 22, 2022, 07:34:31 AM »
It’s just a set screw, I don’t see what’s so complicated, inconvenient, or controversial about it.

Probably the whole, "solution for a problem we created that should never have been a problem in the first place" thing.

Too clever by half.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1013 on: January 22, 2022, 09:28:27 AM »

It's a post production hack to fix a design flaw.

slothrop

« Reply #1014 on: January 22, 2022, 01:31:46 PM »

“Neither do you.”
That w

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 198
« Reply #1015 on: January 22, 2022, 04:51:30 PM »
What does that screw do? I'm not the brightest

white guy in a durag

« Reply #1016 on: January 22, 2022, 05:01:03 PM »
What does that screw do? I'm not the brightest
Tightening it applies pressure to the king pin to lock it in place

manysnakes

« Reply #1017 on: January 22, 2022, 06:16:31 PM »

Is this the jig they devised to shake the truck and simulate skating?

slothrop

« Reply #1018 on: January 22, 2022, 06:57:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is this the jig they devised to shake the truck and simulate skating?

seems so. maybe not to simulate skating per se  but more so to test the grubscrew i guess . Was posted in the last lurpiv post on Instagram but i dont think they really need to test it that way more so just a quicker test i mean the dude (John Magnusson) works at Bryggeriet skate school im sure they did alot of testing there you'd hope

“Neither do you.”
That w

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1019 on: January 22, 2022, 07:29:06 PM »
That jig doesn’t make sense. The truck should be on a board with a load on top and wheels touching a surface to apply the pressure

The set screw reminds me of when Titans had one to hold the axle in place.

The set screw can hold fine although it’s sorta dumb since no skate tools have it and those things are very easy to round out.

So here’s a tally so far:

1. Kingpin 1 loosened on a significant number of customers.
2. Kingpin nut stripped for a number of customers due to shitty quality and bad threadlock.
3. They shipped a truck with a nut size that doesn’t match the majority of skate tools.
4. The nylock didn’t work on the majority of trucks.
5. Their kingpin fix was to basically undo one of their design features, which apparently didn’t work any better than a standard kingpin when it touched a grind surface.
6. Now they introduce a delicate set screw they tested with a jig that doesn’t replicate skateboarding and is a size on no skate tools in a part of the truck that for many comes in contact on occasion with stuff.

This sounds like when people that own Mercedes Sprinter vans drop $100k only to find out the turbo impeller is made of plastic and has exploded on them 5 hours outside of Muscatine, Iowa with not a dealer in sight.