Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 143314 times)

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #1170 on: March 02, 2022, 10:36:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Had my best session since getting my Lurpivs the other day. I switched back to my Indys...

I wanted to believe these would be sick, but after spending weeks fiddling with my trucks it feels good to just throw some trucks on and go. The axles do grind like a dream though, and I think they'd have something if they can capably assuage their other issues.

Side note, the trucks cost 95 bucks and come in their own metal container. Is it not too much to ask that you send an appropriate skate tool that fits the metric bolts? I'm sure this is a complaint specific to the US, but still. If I had gotten a Lurpiv branded 13mm tool I would've been stoked, instead I grumbled off to the hardware store in order to put wheels on my new trucks.
[close]

Is it out of the ordinary that my skate tool worked? I just used the kingpin socket on my T tool for both the axle nuts and king pin.
[close]

Definitely not out of the ordinary. I haven’t come across a skate tool that didn’t work on them. I use the kingpin socket for the axle nuts and kingpin as well.

You can also put regular axle nuts on them as well.

That's what I figured. I also tested regular axle nuts like you mentioned when I first got mine in,

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1171 on: March 07, 2022, 10:41:49 PM »
After reviewing this thread, the consensus is that noone is really happy with the product and there needs to be a lot of tinkering to get it right.

That's a bummer- trucks shouldn't be this complicated. I love Oski and want to try these out (and also support Ukraine through purchasing the trucks), but it sounds like I should wait until the kingpin issue gets resolved.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 11:16:29 PM by Paul_Glider Skateboards »

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
« Reply #1172 on: March 08, 2022, 01:14:57 AM »
If the tool problem is for the kingpin and axle nuts couldn't you just use an adjustable wrench/shifter/cresent wrench (whatever you call it where you're from) ?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1173 on: March 08, 2022, 02:38:02 AM »
If the tool problem is for the kingpin and axle nuts couldn't you just use an adjustable wrench/shifter/cresent wrench (whatever you call it where you're from) ?

This is a non problem. I assembled everything, changed wheels, changed kingpins, etc... only using a normal skate T-tool. Just use the Kingpin side (9/16) for all the nuts and altho a bit loose, it works fine.

If you find it annoying you can also just put regular skate axle nuts on them.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

manysnakes

« Reply #1174 on: March 08, 2022, 04:58:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is a non problem. I assembled everything, changed wheels, changed kingpins, etc... only using a normal skate T-tool. Just use the Kingpin side (9/16) for all the nuts and altho a bit loose, it works fine.

5/16” (the tool size for an axle nut) is nominally different than 13mm. You might find a problem at some point, dealing with a stuck or rounded out nut, and I have no idea what the TPI is, but a standard skate tool without a reamed out socket is going to work just fine.

ProfessorJSS

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1175 on: March 08, 2022, 01:44:34 PM »
Sadly, I’m calling it on my Lurpiv’s. They grind amazing and the fact that they sit a bit higher makes getting to slappys on taller stuff much easier. That being said…the engineering just doesn’t work. I was constantly having to tighten them lest they fall apart on me as they were always loosening on their own. I then invested another $20 for replacement baseplates with the grub lock and sure enough, they still loosen. Yesterday I looked down and the screw from the grub lock had unthreaded itself while I was skating. It’s just too much to constantly have to check and maintain for a skate truck. I really wanted to get behind them but it’s a no from me dawg.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #1176 on: March 08, 2022, 02:28:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

5/16” (the tool size for an axle nut) is nominally different than 13mm. You might find a problem at some point, dealing with a stuck or rounded out nut, and I have no idea what the TPI is, but a standard skate tool without a reamed out socket is going to work just fine.

1/2”/13mm tool for axle nut. Axle is 5/16-24. I still have no idea why the goofy sized nuts. 8mm is very close to 5/16” and the usual nut is 13mm. Like so many other choices with these, it creates an issue instead of solving one.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1177 on: March 08, 2022, 03:04:20 PM »
Sadly, I’m calling it on my Lurpiv’s. They grind amazing and the fact that they sit a bit higher makes getting to slappys on taller stuff much easier. That being said…the engineering just doesn’t work. I was constantly having to tighten them lest they fall apart on me as they were always loosening on their own. I then invested another $20 for replacement baseplates with the grub lock and sure enough, they still loosen. Yesterday I looked down and the screw from the grub lock had unthreaded itself while I was skating. It’s just too much to constantly have to check and maintain for a skate truck. I really wanted to get behind them but it’s a no from me dawg.

I’m about there myself. I saw someone put them on Ace baseplates, so I’ll give that a shot while I try to find a better solution for the wobbly kingpin

logjammin

• Rep: 355
« Reply #1178 on: March 08, 2022, 04:33:49 PM »
I'd buy em for $20 a set, free shipping. Hangers only, tell them hold the nuts i'll use my own ;D

laterskater

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1179 on: March 08, 2022, 06:21:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m about there myself. I saw someone put them on Ace baseplates, so I’ll give that a shot while I try to find a better solution for the wobbly kingpin

That was me. Still riding the inverted kingpin with the Ace nuts and still no problems. Make sure it’s the nuts with the red nyloc, the normal ones with grey nyloc will loosen.

I’ve adjusted the tightness on them multiple times and still no loosening. Still my favorite trucks ever and almost time for a new set.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1180 on: March 08, 2022, 07:35:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That was me. Still riding the inverted kingpin with the Ace nuts and still no problems. Make sure it’s the nuts with the red nyloc, the normal ones with grey nyloc will loosen.

I’ve adjusted the tightness on them multiple times and still no loosening. Still my favorite trucks ever and almost time for a new set.

Awesome, thanks for the tip! They still feel like Aces? Or do the dimensions of the hangar change the turn significantly?

laterskater

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1181 on: March 08, 2022, 10:11:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Awesome, thanks for the tip! They still feel like Aces? Or do the dimensions of the hangar change the turn significantly?

Sorry I totally misread your post. I’m just using Ace nuts in the Lurpiv baseplate which stopped the loosening.

I am curious about the Lurpiv hanger on the Ace baseplates, I saw that also.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1182 on: March 08, 2022, 10:20:25 PM »

This guy mentions at the end that ace baseplate/kingpin can be used. In the video he has them set up on indy mid baseplates.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
« Reply #1183 on: March 08, 2022, 11:15:28 PM »

This guy mentions at the end that ace baseplate/kingpin can be used. In the video he has them set up on indy mid baseplates.

That last pic looks like the jankiest set of stage 1s I've ever seen hahaha.

So watching that video, from the inside/top angle I was struck by how much they resembled destructo d1s hanger and it got me to thinking.... Have any of you tall truck guys tried those and how would you compare the two?

Always thought the d1 was an underrated truck, they grind really well and don't feel quite as heavy as an indy standard when I pop for whatever reason.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #1184 on: March 09, 2022, 02:08:59 AM »

7 inch lurpivs. available with regular and inverted kingpin. option becoming available on all sizes soon.

so fucking tempted.... $100 for cruiser trucks...

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1185 on: March 09, 2022, 05:46:16 AM »

Interesting, I’ll post results when I try Ace baseplates with these. From the video, I didn’t even think about it, but it is a real pain in the ass to put even the Lurpiv bushings on their kingpins, as well as trying other bushings.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1186 on: March 09, 2022, 10:25:29 AM »
110s are out now:

Tempted to set up a new crusier

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1509
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1187 on: March 09, 2022, 10:28:37 AM »
Just in time for tax refunds!

CullTheKarens

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1188 on: March 09, 2022, 10:32:24 AM »
I like the way they look 🤷‍♀️ tempted to get some for a cruiser.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1189 on: March 09, 2022, 11:15:29 AM »
Can someone explain to me why they would buy these and put up with the bullshit that comes with them when literally any other truck would not have those hassles? Maybe I'm just not a good skater but I cannot see a single pair of trucks magically unlocking the greatness that would be required to put up with this stuff.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1190 on: March 09, 2022, 11:32:13 AM »
Can someone explain to me why they would buy these and put up with the bullshit that comes with them when literally any other truck would not have those hassles? Maybe I'm just not a good skater but I cannot see a single pair of trucks magically unlocking the greatness that would be required to put up with this stuff.
I'm down to support swedish brothers as soon as they flip that inverted kingpin around

pops

• Rep: 262
« Reply #1191 on: March 09, 2022, 11:50:53 AM »
I think I'll wait until they've sorted the known issues with these. Seems like bunch of people have had less or more hassle with their Lurpivs so I'm not interested in paying 140 euros for a pair of trucks that I can't ride carefree. I really wanna support them but not giving my money for a flawed product.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1192 on: March 09, 2022, 12:52:25 PM »

I'm a truck nerd and I just think they're neat. :)

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #1193 on: March 09, 2022, 01:31:12 PM »
I like the way they look, the way they skate, and I'm down to support a new skater owned brand. I'm also just a total gear head, so occasional tweaking doesn't bother me.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1312
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1194 on: March 09, 2022, 01:39:35 PM »
Bought on curiosity. I spent a lot on these and feel like i have to see them through. Itching to switch back to my AF1's at this point...

IpathCats

« Reply #1195 on: March 09, 2022, 01:52:14 PM »

We get it, you're a cool guy that doesn't have the madness. Showoff

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #1196 on: March 09, 2022, 07:50:11 PM »
did anyone get regular kingpin lurpivs and can say whether those are worthwhile? very tempted to pull the trigger on 110s

Grant Patronik

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #1197 on: March 09, 2022, 08:03:22 PM »
Tried these and switched back to my Aces after one sesh. No issues with the non-inverted/regular kingpins, just not for me. I don’t skate enough to invest the time required to adjust to these. If anybody wants to try a pair of 149s for below retail, PM me and we can figure something out.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1198 on: March 09, 2022, 11:12:27 PM »
did anyone get regular kingpin lurpivs and can say whether those are worthwhile? very tempted to pull the trigger on 110s

I have the 149 with regular kingpin and am happy with them, they turn better than Indies, there‘s no wheelbite and the grind is nice. I have adjusted well to them and would probably cop again at this point. Caveat:  I had quite a few slappy sessions on hard curbs  lately and start grinding down on the kingpin slowly so we‘ll see if that has a negative impact. I plan on grinding them down as far as possible. 
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

IpathCats

« Reply #1199 on: March 10, 2022, 04:45:22 AM »

No issues with the regular kingpin other than clearance, idk how much grinding you plan to do on 110's anyway though so that might not even be a concern.