Author Topic: Toy Machine pro models // made in China?  (Read 2202 times)

Sunnyman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Toy Machine pro models // made in China?
« on: October 20, 2021, 10:50:12 PM »
So I recently bought the Axel Crusher “Windows” deck from a reputable store (I’m located in Australia) and I noticed the sticker on the shrink wrap read “made in China”.

In the manufacturing thread for 2021 it says that EU distributed pro decks are indeed Chinese made so I’m guessing that Australia gets their decks from European distributors, but I’m more curious to know if the wood they use is the same as the USA distributed pro decks as it would be a bit cheeky of the company to sell pro decks made from inferior wood to their customers of other countries for the same price as they do with American or Mexican made decks.

TL;DR: Toy Machine’s EU distributed pro decks are made in China, but do they use the same wood as their American/Mexican made ones since they are priced the same?

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
Re: Toy Machine pro models // made in China?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 08:02:40 AM »
I know some woodshops in China do receive wood from North America, but I highly doubt that this is happening currently with all the heavy traffic at the ports. Shipping/distribution is a nightmare right now and lumber prices are increasing. Maybe Toy has a good deal and is able to source the same wood to China, but from a business standpoint, that doesn't seem feasible

Sunnyman

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 08:47:55 AM »
I know some woodshops in China do receive wood from North America, but I highly doubt that this is happening currently with all the heavy traffic at the ports. Shipping/distribution is a nightmare right now and lumber prices are increasing. Maybe Toy has a good deal and is able to source the same wood to China, but from a business standpoint, that doesn't seem feasible

It just seems weird that consumers who aren’t fortunate enough to live in North America must pay the exact same amount and sometimes even more for an inferior product disguised as higher end deck, no?

Like this board costs 110 dollars in Australia. Which exactly the same as buying another deck in the shop which was made by PS Stix or any other non Chinese manufacturer.

No other company makes any of their pro models in China that I’m aware of. It’s usually price points or completes. Hence why I wonder if anything sets TM pro decks made in China from their price point stuff that’s also made in China?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:08:48 AM »
In 2020 Toy Machine / Foundation did a few runs of boards in China and they were piss poor, waterlogged on day 1 kind of bad. But they just let this fly under the radar until late last year when they started putting the MADE IN CHINA text on the stickers on their boards. Haven't ridden one personally but the general consensus is that it's better than the early 2020 stuff by a wide margin.

I doubt your shop would do this, but counterfeiters have been selling fake Toy Machine, Foundation, Plan B, Element, Baker, Deathwish and Flip boards on Aliexpress. Some reputed shops were know to stock their shops with these bootlegs last year because of supply shortages.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

creep3000

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 11:01:12 AM »
I have a feeling these china decks come out from the same shop that girl / chocolate decks come from. Same laser etching on china wood.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »
I just picked up an axel 8.9 egg. I hope it doesn't suck

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 11:44:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It just seems weird that consumers who aren’t fortunate enough to live in North America must pay the exact same amount and sometimes even more for an inferior product disguised as higher end deck, no?

Like this board costs 110 dollars in Australia. Which exactly the same as buying another deck in the shop which was made by PS Stix or any other non Chinese manufacturer.

No other company makes any of their pro models in China that I’m aware of. It’s usually price points or completes. Hence why I wonder if anything sets TM pro decks made in China from their price point stuff that’s also made in China?

The reality is this is not unique to skateboards

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 03:44:08 PM »
CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.0

List from the third post - Brand alphabetical order:

Toy Machine* (EU/AU)   ……….   ……….   Dailan Huahong

It has been an interesting one, especially since distribution changed here, so now many of these brands have a more generic looking wood with "Made in China" on them including Toy Machine, Zero and a few others that I have seen in local shops here in Australia.

The list of "pro brands on Made in China" decks is actually a lot longer than you might think, given many suppliers have found it cheaper / easier or whatever to get boards there for the European and Asian markets, which does include Australia for the most part.

I am a bit disappointed sometimes when the same brands use "Made in Mexico" woodshops for the USA, but whatever else they can get for other markets like here in Australia and then charge the same pro wood prices, but for me personally, that is more down to the feel of the concave in those boards and the fact that I prefer wood from that woodshop based on how the board skates to me, not so much the brand or distribution path it takes to get here.

I guess reading through even the last dozen or so pages of the Woodshop thread might not turn up too much, apart from helping you get confused about some brands, given what seems like swapping from one woodshop to another to back to the first one, or something else entirely, during the last year or so.

The quality of the product seems to be much better overall now than what it has been in the past too, but I don't have any boards that I skate that are from any of the other woodshops.  Going by feedback from others, some of the so called cheaper Made in China boards have held up really well and those people like them, so I wouldn't be writing them off so quickly if you already have one in your hands.  Paying that much for one is another story, which I am not going to get into here and now, but that $20 deck with a $90 graphic on it is a funny one...

I would be curious to hear how you find the deck, given I have seen lots around but not at all interested in buying one just to see how the current wood feels.  I have had a stand on lots of them in other shops and they felt fairly stiff so I would imagine it would hold up well enough, but unless you skate it, it is hard to tell much from a picture or holding it in your hands.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 04:43:19 PM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 04:07:14 PM »

I should probably note here too that the RRP on most boards from USA or Mexico is now well over $140 even if shops often do not put prices up that much, with pricepoint boards still around the $100 to $110 range, so technically they are in the lower price range anyway.

Sunnyman

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 04:47:38 PM »
CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.0

List from the third post - Brand alphabetical order:

Toy Machine* (EU/AU)   ……….   ……….   Dailan Huahong

It has been an interesting one, especially since distribution changed here, so now many of these brands have a more generic looking wood with "Made in China" on them including Toy Machine, Zero and a few others that I have seen in local shops here in Australia.

The list of "pro brands on Made in China" decks is actually a lot longer than you might think, given many suppliers have found it cheaper / easier or whatever to get boards there for the European and Asian markets, which does include Australia for the most part.

I am a bit disappointed sometimes when the same brands use "Made in Mexico" woodshops for the USA, but whatever else they can get for other markets like here in Australia and then charge the same pro wood prices, but for me personally, that is more down to the feel of the concave in those boards and the fact that I prefer wood from that woodshop based on how the board skates to me, not so much the brand or distribution path it takes to get here.

I guess reading through even the last dozen or so pages of the Woodshop thread might not turn up too much, apart from helping you get confused about some brands, given what seems like swapping from one woodshop to another to back to the first one, or something else entirely, during the last year or so.

The quality of the product seems to be much better overall now than what it has been in the past too, but I don't have any boards that I skate that are from any of the other woodshops.  Going by feedback from others, some of the so called cheaper Made in China boards have held up really well and those people like them, so I wouldn't be writing them off so quickly if you already have one in your hands.  Paying that much for one is another story, which I am not going to get into here and now, but that $20 deck with a $90 graphic on it is a funny one...

I would be curious to hear how you find the deck, given I have seen lots around but not at all interested in buying one just to see how the current wood feels.  I have had a stand on lots of them in other shops and they felt fairly stiff so I would imagine it would hold up well enough, but unless you skate it, it is hard to tell much from a picture or holding it in your hands.

Cheers for that. The board itself seems fine, I’m new to skating so I’m not the best person to get an opinion on their durability lol, but I’m about 6’0 and 100 kg and it seems to hold my weight well.

I guess my main question is whether the wood used is the same or similar in quality compared to the USA/MEX made decks. Quality control seems to be well.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 04:56:21 PM by Sunnyman »

Sunnyman

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 05:26:52 PM »
In 2020 Toy Machine / Foundation did a few runs of boards in China and they were piss poor, waterlogged on day 1 kind of bad. But they just let this fly under the radar until late last year when they started putting the MADE IN CHINA text on the stickers on their boards. Haven't ridden one personally but the general consensus is that it's better than the early 2020 stuff by a wide margin.

I doubt your shop would do this, but counterfeiters have been selling fake Toy Machine, Foundation, Plan B, Element, Baker, Deathwish and Flip boards on Aliexpress. Some reputed shops were know to stock their shops with these bootlegs last year because of supply shortages.

I mean, the deck came with the usual stickers and tags etc so I doubt a fake manufacturer would be bothered to go through the effort of including all that stuff?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 05:50:52 PM by Sunnyman »

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 06:05:38 PM »
The Toy Machine board I had last year was the worst piece of shit I’ve had in the last 20.  Easily.  Complete dead wood trash being sold at full price.  Never giving any Tum Yeto brand my money ever again. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 06:13:31 PM »
axel deck i have is MIM. Hopefully it isn't shit, but i just set up a new deck so it'll be a couple months until i skate it and know

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2021, 07:43:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I mean, the deck came with the usual stickers and tags etc so I doubt a fake manufacturer would be bothered to go through the effort of including all that stuff?

There are at least two places I know of in AU that have the fake product, neither of them legit skate shops, but the people are trying to pass them off as the real deal, complete with what looks like almost the same product, shrink wrapped, size sticker, brand sticker included and for some people, they would never know the difference.

You will mostly see these on Ebay or even Gumtree, often from sellers that don't seem to have any history of having a shop, but often have these decks, then some other products, either skate or something else, but more often Bones bearings, Independent trucks, Spitfire wheels, just to name a few.

Any real skate shop, even those on Ebay with a solid feedback history and a significant product inventory are usually fine and get all the product through reputable distributors, but the fact that the fake product is so very similar to the real stuff is becoming more of a problem here as well as other places round the world.

Gone are the days when the cheap rip offs were so easy to spot and you only find them in those Asian countries or at the old Paddys Market in Sydney for so cheap there would be no question where they came from.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2021, 07:47:56 PM »
The Toy Machine board I had last year was the worst piece of shit I’ve had in the last 20.  Easily.  Complete dead wood trash being sold at full price.  Never giving any Tum Yeto brand my money ever again.

You are in USA aren't you?

Did it have a Made in... sticker or any other info as to which board you had?

Before the old days of (sorry I forget now - Prime or Watson?) they have been on PS Stix and BBS there from others saying and showing pics in 2020-2021, but not sure on the more recent boards, or if they were having in between orders from elsewhere.

axel deck i have is MIM. Hopefully it isn't shit, but i just set up a new deck so it'll be a couple months until i skate it and know

I think yours would be fine as those ones are said to be good, both PS Stix and BBS wood.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 07:56:52 PM »
I am in the US.  Don’t remember any stickers or anything; wasn’t shrink wrapped.  I got it from my local (a reputable shop) but it was at a point in the pandemic where the shop was closed in person; you had to order online for pickup. 

Wouldn’t have bought it if I’d seen it in person, but didn’t want to cause problems for the shop during hard times.  It felt way too light, and the top ply was that shitty white wood.

Tried to make the best of it, but it was just awful.  Rode socal or Chapman blanks for about a year after that.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2021, 08:09:54 PM »
I am in the US.  Don’t remember any stickers or anything; wasn’t shrink wrapped.  I got it from my local (a reputable shop) but it was at a point in the pandemic where the shop was closed in person; you had to order online for pickup. 

Wouldn’t have bought it if I’d seen it in person, but didn’t want to cause problems for the shop during hard times.  It felt way too light, and the top ply was that shitty white wood.

Tried to make the best of it, but it was just awful.  Rode socal or Chapman blanks for about a year after that.

Yes I saw pics of those blanks (when I went looking for it), but I imagine it was a "whatever they could get their hands on at the time" board, as you said.

Not a worry either way.

Thanks for the reply too!

Sunnyman

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2021, 08:39:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

There are at least two places I know of in AU that have the fake product, neither of them legit skate shops, but the people are trying to pass them off as the real deal, complete with what looks like almost the same product, shrink wrapped, size sticker, brand sticker included and for some people, they would never know the difference.

You will mostly see these on Ebay or even Gumtree, often from sellers that don't seem to have any history of having a shop, but often have these decks, then some other products, either skate or something else, but more often Bones bearings, Independent trucks, Spitfire wheels, just to name a few.

Any real skate shop, even those on Ebay with a solid feedback history and a significant product inventory are usually fine and get all the product through reputable distributors, but the fact that the fake product is so very similar to the real stuff is becoming more of a problem here as well as other places round the world.

Gone are the days when the cheap rip offs were so easy to spot and you only find them in those Asian countries or at the old Paddys Market in Sydney for so cheap there would be no question where they came from.

Haha you’re from Sydney too!

Yeah, I actually bought it online from hyperride which is an online store but they seem very legit. I think their main base is in NZ, but they also operate in Australia.

By stickers, I also meant the graphic stickers that come inside the wrap and you actually peel them to put on your board or wherever you want. Mine had the Toy Machine fists graphic. I still haven’t placed it anywhere on my deck since it looks kinda tacky with the weird fingers, lol

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 25
  • old leg
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2021, 10:32:07 PM »
funny thing i was about to ask as well...although not Toy Machine. but same family. i'm in KL/SouthEast Asia by the way

Sunnyman

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2021, 11:07:20 PM »
funny thing i was about to ask as well...although not Toy Machine. but same family. i'm in KL/SouthEast Asia by the way

yup same owners! I was actually balancing between getting my TM deck or the Foundation Dakota Scapes pro model. There’s no denying Tum Yeto’s decks have awesome graphics!

If it’s any info to you, my made in China sticker was exactly like that one, but obviously with different measurements.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 02:39:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yup same owners! I was actually balancing between getting my TM deck or the Foundation Dakota Scapes pro model. There’s no denying Tum Yeto’s decks have awesome graphics!

If it’s any info to you, my made in China sticker was exactly like that one, but obviously with different measurements.

i work at a skateshop in poland and the toy machine boards we have in stock have the same stickers and an engraved monster where the foundation logo is
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Sunnyman

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2021, 02:51:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i work at a skateshop in poland and the toy machine boards we have in stock have the same stickers and an engraved monster where the foundation logo is

Yep mine had that! It also had diamond shaped sticker that read Toy Machine Vaccine #8 (or perhaps it was #08?)

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 05:35:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yep mine had that! It also had diamond shaped sticker that read Toy Machine Vaccine #8 (or perhaps it was #08?)

oh and btw all of them were pro models
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Sunnyman

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2021, 06:16:00 AM »
So I messaged Tum Yeto about this and this is what they said: https://imgur.com/a/dY01Mdt

Apparently there’s no difference in quality regardless which factory it’s been made in. Take what you can from this.

Sunnyman

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2021, 08:56:55 AM »
Also did some research on the factory which they’re made in Dalian Huahong… they even show a Toy Machine board being made at about 2:20 minutes in.

thoughts?

https://youtu.be/f7FKSDTkGxk

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2021, 05:51:19 PM »
Compared to whatever wood they were on for a minute during the pandemic, what they are on now seems totally different and much better quality, decent shapes and concave.

The first few that were coming out with nothing on them at all were, as others have said, not very good.

For some brands, this is just business as usual nowdays.

Sunnyman

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2021, 09:39:33 PM »
Compared to whatever wood they were on for a minute during the pandemic, what they are on now seems totally different and much better quality, decent shapes and concave.

The first few that were coming out with nothing on them at all were, as others have said, not very good.

For some brands, this is just business as usual nowdays.

Yeah, also the factory in the video looks like a pretty professional plant and not like how many make it out to seem that anything goes

They even mention that they use Canadian maple wood too

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2021, 11:42:51 PM »
Also did some research on the factory which they’re made in Dalian Huahong… they even show a Toy Machine board being made at about 2:20 minutes in.

thoughts?

https://youtu.be/f7FKSDTkGxk

So sick

I want to visit

nothing's been the since same

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2021, 03:40:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

oh and btw all of them were pro models

I have copied this post (with pictures) over to the Woodshop thread too, as they are really clear pics and some good information.

Thanks to you guys for helping with info as well.

Always appreciated.

Woodshop, page 25 (current page)

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.720

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2021, 03:52:17 AM »
So I messaged Tum Yeto about this and this is what they said: https://imgur.com/a/dY01Mdt

Apparently there’s no difference in quality regardless which factory it’s been made in. Take what you can from this.

I almost skipped over this earlier, but the main thing to note with the different woodshops is the different feel of the boards.

The concave between these three woodshops, that being BBS and PS Stix in Mexico, Watson in USA and Dalian Hauhong in China are all quite different, so from that alone, I would be keen to ride one in particular or two others of those without much of an issue, but not at all keen on the other after standing on all of them, regardless of what country they were manufactured in.

That said, I know many people I skate with don't really notice much between boards, so I guess some people would skate anything and be happy, which is good, but others can be a lot more picky with the wood concaves, to the point where some concaves are a deal breaker.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 04:32:47 AM by Woodshop »