Author Topic: Study shows skateboarding boosts happiness and wellbeing in middle aged people  (Read 4993 times)

doublesteveburger

pain is weakness leaving the body you stupid ass bitch

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
Expand Quote
Me….telling my story…..again…..been thinking a lot about this over the past few days.

I skated very little as a kid but was stoked on PP skull and sword graphic.  When I saw it on Amazon in my 40’s along with skull and snake I bought one of each thinking I might skate.  I skated those boards *maybe* for a half-hour total over 5 years.  The boards just sat unused in my garage.

As my 50th approached I planned on re-learning running up a tree/wall/ utility pole and back flipping, but it felt weak and I knew it would be easy for me.  At the same time I was discovering that there were skate parks EVERYWHERE.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, on the day of my 50th I went to the skatepark to learn to drop in.  I had no business being near ramps with my skateboard, but some of you know already, and others will discover, mid-life is a big deal in the mind.  On that day all I achieved was a drop-in to a 4-ft incline ramp, and not gonna lie I had some tears in my eyes from the combo of fear and excitement as I got nearer to getting it.  Fucking shit was SUPER scary for me, but I was obsessed with this goal for some reason.  I did NOT drop into the QP that day.

It took about 3 more weeks to get a successful QP drop.  I got many slams at first, but when I got it, I did 4.  Then I pushed for a bit and got 4 more…..ultimately getting 16 drop-ins dialed in that day.  I expected a BIG rush of excitement once I accomplished my goal but it just wasn’t there.  Maybe a little bit of satisfaction but overall a I had a sense of something larger, looming over this accomplishment.

I realized that what was a HUGE goal for me, to drop-in to a QP, was really not a goal in the big scheme of things.  I discovered that what I had learned was a skill that would launch me into other tricks.  As if my goal of dropping in was like setting a goal of learning how to draw an arrow back in a bow.  I knew that what I needed now was a target and to let fly.

So I returned to the park, drew the arrow back, aimed at the bullseye of a rock-fakie and let the arrow fly.  I immediately FUCKED my lower back with my worst back injury EVER and could barely function as a human for 6 weeks.

Then I returned and got better at skating and then FUCKED both knees for 15 months.

My rock-fakie, however, is *divine*.  Totally worth it.
[close]
This scares me. I'm 46, and have incorporated basically 90% low-impact tricks into my repertoire, but every once in a while I'll get a little frisky and try to repeat something I used to have on lock in my 20s… and fail miserably, like completely air ball. I couldn't afford to be laid up with an injury, so I feel like I'm consciously dialing down the difficulty. It's still fun but I'm wondering, Am I getting boring?
What if you are boring? I’m boring, it’s not that big of deal

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
Any sport of physical exercise will do this. Society has just become so fat and lazy that studies like this are taking people by surprise.  Everyone I meet says oh in high school I played baseball. When I was a teen I skated. Like why did you stop when you became older? Never made sense to me

smokeybear

• Rep: -12
Im 38 now, I fell into depression about 6 years ago when i had to chose to survive or keep on skating... didn't want to be homeless so i had to quit skating everyday and get a full time job... first two years i kept it up, working but not skating as much as used to and then i just went down because i was loosing my joy in living. I went to seek some help and im treating my depression and my doctor said clearly, "without doubt it was skateboarding that made you truly happy", I lost my boys to depression because i wouldn't even pick up my phone, i didn't even want to see then for no reason... im treating myself now and ive been skating a bit more and my joy went up 100 per cent. Skateboarding is what keeps me going and kept me from doing something really stupid to myself. Im so grateful for still having skateboarding in my life :) its still the best thing i have!

HHH

• Rep: -4
Im 38 now, I fell into depression about 6 years ago when i had to chose to survive or keep on skating... didn't want to be homeless so i had to quit skating everyday and get a full time job... first two years i kept it up, working but not skating as much as used to and then i just went down because i was loosing my joy in living. I went to seek some help and im treating my depression and my doctor said clearly, "without doubt it was skateboarding that made you truly happy", I lost my boys to depression because i wouldn't even pick up my phone, i didn't even want to see then for no reason... im treating myself now and ive been skating a bit more and my joy went up 100 per cent. Skateboarding is what keeps me going and kept me from doing something really stupid to myself. Im so grateful for still having skateboarding in my life :) its still the best thing i have!

That is very glad to hear. I havent been skating for 1,5 years now because of injury and find myself being irritated by small things, stressed anxious and hopeless. While my friends are saying that even a little session can be very therapeutic. I can't wait to skate again soon and hopefully it brings me the joy again.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 829
Thanks for sharing OP. This dude has heaps of articles that I can't wait to read.

https://socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/sociology/staff/poconnor/

Dude seams to be living the dream getting paid to study skating.

It's raining here for the first time in ages if I didn't have an Xmas dinner to go to I'd be so bummed. Hopefully it's sunny tomorrow.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1265
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
pain is weakness leaving the body you stupid ass bitch

Deputy Wendell

Frank and Fred

Everyone should quit at 27 except Andrew Allen, Fred and Frank.

nevrwasben

Expand Quote
I’d be much more curious to see what a study says about late thirty something’s that have gradually skated less and less with an accompanying declining skill level but the subjects do manage to spend an increasing amount of time on a niche, slightly antiquated forum revolving around skateboarding ….. curious what they would find?

But seriously a little jealous of people that dropped skating in their youth only to have this total “rediscovery of the joys of skating” while it’s kind of a grind for a lot of us that have stuck it out;  declining skill level, friends quitting, more responsibilities, gaining weight, staying motivated.  Yeah, skill levels probably higher if you didn’t quit but rediscovering your youth seems a lot funner than watching it slowly fade away.
[close]

Damn dude, that's depressing haha.

I've skated consistently since the year 2000, and it's been good having a passion and something to keep me motivated and in shape, even if I suck.

The funny thing though is I don't see myself skating much in my 40s, since I'll have more responsibilities then (hope to raise a family soon). So it'll probably be hard to lose more tricks and not get out, but I'm sure I'll appreciate it even more at that time.
This is just reality for some of us and something to come to terms with as we age and life progresses beyond ourselves and our own desires. Appreciate everything (like skateboarding) as long as you can and don’t take it for granted…

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
Thanks for sharing OP. This dude has heaps of articles that I can't wait to read.

https://socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/sociology/staff/poconnor/

Dude seams to be living the dream getting paid to study skating.

It's raining here for the first time in ages if I didn't have an Xmas dinner to go to I'd be so bummed. Hopefully it's sunny tomorrow.

My pleasure my friend.  I was hoping this would be encouraging to some of the older heads.

Perhaps related is that I noticed that as I've been skating less my HBP has been more of an issue, so I went out skating today for an hour and it felt real good, and I feel real good, even though I fell.  I think the article was trying to say the gym and the golf course are not going to benefit you as much as something you love as much as skating.  Your identity is connected to it so much.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
I'm 32 and today my dad asked me if it was time to give up skating. I absolutely bodied myself rolling onto the top of the sidewalk doing a backside slappy. I was leaning way too far back, slipped out and took it straight to the ribs.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 03:49:27 PM by Wizard Fight »

Frank and Fred

Tell your Dad, I'm 46 and just rolled away from my first fakie tre.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191

Fuck yeah dude!

JF

• Rep: -5
you didn't stop skating because you got old, you got old because you stopped skating

Or maybe you just needed a very long break from skateboarding and sooner or later you will skateboard again.??.?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1424
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’d be much more curious to see what a study says about late thirty something’s that have gradually skated less and less with an accompanying declining skill level but the subjects do manage to spend an increasing amount of time on a niche, slightly antiquated forum revolving around skateboarding ….. curious what they would find?

But seriously a little jealous of people that dropped skating in their youth only to have this total “rediscovery of the joys of skating” while it’s kind of a grind for a lot of us that have stuck it out;  declining skill level, friends quitting, more responsibilities, gaining weight, staying motivated.  Yeah, skill levels probably higher if you didn’t quit but rediscovering your youth seems a lot funner than watching it slowly fade away.
[close]

idk man, sounds like you might benefit from a break??? Skating because it's a habit or solely as an identity piece or as something to do because you feel like you are required to for whatever reason, ain't no fun.

if you come back to it, you'll be doing it because it is fun...
[close]

Yeah, honestly I am being a bit dramatic and still enjoy it and feel grateful that I’m still able to be getting joy from skating.  I have been riding a wide ass board lately and it’s helped me to rediscover skating, spots and parks too.

I think I mostly am a bit jealous of people that get to have that magic rediscovered at a point….but I still get that too, if I didn’t I would move on, I have other hobbies and interests and skating is still pretty fucking cool to me either way

no doubt. there is definitely something sweet about returning after an extended period away. For me, I wasn't really skating for close to 8 or 9 years. The first 3, I wasn't skating much but would get out sometimes, then after that it was really just a period where I finally decided to say that "I used to skate, but I don't anymore." Then I found a big old cruiser on the sidewalk in a free pile when I was on a bike ride, scooped it, and rode to a parking lot. I started doing Ollies but at shit due to the soft wheels - I'd never had softies before and didn't think about it... Anyways, I messed around with that for a month or so before throwing a new shop deck on my old 149s and started trying to skate again, which was right around this time in 2020. It's been a wrap since. 36 and loving skateboarding more than I had since I was in my late teens/early 20s. It's like this return to freedom. It's interesting too in that my mind works far differently than it did during the first 15 or so years. Movement might be slower and weaker, but the mind/body connection/kinesthesia/proprioception is different and more prevalent. 

Ramble Ramble Ramble

I love this shit

Support your local skate shop

dofrenzy

This scares me. I'm 46, and have incorporated basically 90% low-impact tricks into my repertoire, but every once in a while I'll get a little frisky and try to repeat something I used to have on lock in my 20s… and fail miserably, like completely air ball. I couldn't afford to be laid up with an injury, so I feel like I'm consciously dialing down the difficulty. It's still fun but I'm wondering, Am I getting boring?

I didn’t even mention my October slam!  So good it was picked up by Wicked Slams on Instagram.  My fucking neck *still* hurts.  2 minutes into my first snowboard session yesterday I took a whiplash slam at the top of the mountain that was none too pleasant.

But as one of the token old people here, let me provide some guidance.  Imagine I am sitting in a rocking chair, holding a cane, I have no teeth and there is some white, dry spittle in the corners of my mouth.

Son, a good life is not about about pain avoidance, it is about pain management.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 05:52:06 AM by dofrenzy »

OldSkater

• Rep: -49

this shit is downright inspirational

dofrenzy

Expand Quote
[close]

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2258
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Expand Quote
[close]

I didn’t even mention my October slam!  So good it was picked up by Wicked Slams on Instagram.  My fucking neck *still* hurts.  2 minutes into my first snowboard session yesterday I took a whiplash slam at the top of the mountain that was none too pleasant.

But as one of the token old people here, let me provide some guidance.  Imagine I am sitting in a rocking chair, holding a cane, I have no teeth and there is some white, dry spittle in the corners of my mouth.

Son, a good life is not about about pain avoidance, it is about pain management.
My dude… somewhere in the range of 75 to 80 percent of the people on here qualify as “token” old people. You’re more the “rule” than you are the “exception” here on SLAP.
Dare I say, at 36 you may be one of the younger blokes in the Senior Skaters Squadron.
Suffice to say, you’re in fine company.
Pull up a chair; the early bird special starts at 3:30 PM, and no pinching the rumps of the orderlies unless you want to get asked to leave.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

dofrenzy

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
My dude… somewhere in the range of 75 to 80 percent of the people on here qualify as “token” old people. You’re more the “rule” than you are the “exception” here on SLAP.
Dare I say, at 36 you may be one of the younger blokes in the Senior Skaters Squadron.
Pull up a chair; the early bird special starts at 3:30 PM, and no pinching the rumps of the orderlies unless you want to get asked to leave.

I think I needed a little ego deflation to be honest, thanks brother! I do look up to a lot of the older skaters here, like you for real.  Peace! 

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2258
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I think I needed a little ego deflation to be honest, thanks brother! I do look up to a lot of the older skaters here, like you for real.  Peace!
Well you’re definitely in the right place. ‘Specially if you love talking skate & don't mind a good natured ribbing or the occasional out right trashing of your character.
If you’re sensitive about the trashing of your favorite skaters’ characters, this ain’t the spot fer yinz, but you’ve been a spell, so you’ve obviously figured that out for yourself already.

Now… if you wouldn’t mind informing us who your favorite skaters are, we can get right into the hazing. ;)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Frank and Fred

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thank you but, honestly it was pretty sloppy. I will attempt to clean them up before turning 47 (May). I was always a very mediocre skateboarder and only really had consistent flip tricks in the early to mid 90s. I mostly skate transition and parks but since Covid, Flatground has been my Zen place and its been fun learning and re-learning how to flip the board a little.

Frank and Fred

I'm in my 20s and already got back pain, I doubt skateboarding is gonna bring me any happiness once I'm 40.

Honestly, you might surprise yourself. My mid to late 20s were terrible. I seemed to be in pain a lot, lost a lot of my tricks, got stuck in a rut, etc... I think a lot of it was mental. I was a real mess until about 32 or so. I think I am in less pain now and in some ways skate better than I did... I get a lot more out of skateboarding in my mid-40s. Almost as much as I did as a teen.

Wrestle your demons, avoid too many inflammatory foods/ booze, quite your mind down, know when to call it and you might also enjoy some middle age skateboarding.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Expand Quote
I'm in my 20s and already got back pain, I doubt skateboarding is gonna bring me any happiness once I'm 40.
[close]

Honestly, you might surprise yourself. My mid to late 20s were terrible. I seemed to be in pain a lot, lost a lot of my tricks, got stuck in a rut, etc... I think a lot of it was mental. I was a real mess until about 32 or so. I think I am in less pain now and in some ways skate better than I did... I get a lot more out of skateboarding in my mid-40s. Almost as much as I did as a teen.

Wrestle your demons, avoid too many inflammatory foods/ booze, quite your mind down, know when to call it and you might also enjoy some middle age skateboarding.

Word.

I'm skating better now in my 30s than I did in my teens and early 20s. I make up for having less time and slower recovery by being more focused during my session and analyzing my technique. I've learned more tricks in my last 2 years back than I did in my tail end of my 1st skate life.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
Additional data coming out telling you to keep skating as you get closer to death

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/canterbury/131938049/middleaged-spread-skateboarders-over-40-still-rolling

fernando the skater

• Rep: 124
Jim Gray is going pretty well at 60.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3378
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
I do kind-of always laugh at the, "Well Tony Hawk is 94 years old and he's still out there ripping!" type of comments.

Like...wow no shit one of the most naturally gifted people to ever get on a skateboard, someone who has an easier time skateboarding than breathing, is still able to get out there?

Still...it's rad so I'm talking out both sides of my neck.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
I do kind-of always laugh at the, "Well Tony Hawk is 94 years old and he's still out there ripping!" type of comments.

Like...wow no shit one of the most naturally gifted people to ever get on a skateboard, someone who has an easier time skateboarding than breathing, is still able to get out there?

Still...it's rad so I'm talking out both sides of my neck.
I definitely didn’t think I’d still be doing this- when we were kids there were no old heads. The oldest skater I knew of was my uncle and he was only in his early twenties. He’s sixty now and still skates (not super well!) so I use him as inspiration.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
One of the great things about having sucked for years, is that there is still lots a of low-hanging fruit to learn in my late 40s.
Never did a k-grind in my life until 2 weeks ago, now trying slappy Ks shuvit out, which for me is enough novelty to make me smile
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea