Author Topic: Study shows skateboarding boosts happiness and wellbeing in middle aged people  (Read 5022 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
It only took til your 40s, but now you have a legitimate reason to skate.  Merry Christmas.

https://planetradio.co.uk/free/uk/news/skateboarding-boosts-wellbeing-and-happiness-in-middle-age-says-study/

MaXX_I-D

Damn, looks like I’ll be depressed until I’m 40.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1450
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
I wanna be this guy when I grow up

somefucker

you didn't stop skating because you got old, you got old because you stopped skating

conqueso

weird that people get paid to study things that are entirely fucking obvious

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1507
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Playing with a toy in middle age brings you joy. The fuck kinda research does that require to come to that conclusion?

TunnelVision1

• Rep: -76
  • Kingofhellfarts
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I wanna be this guy when I grow up

keemstar?
At least my dad thinks so.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
weird that people get paid to study things that are entirely fucking obvious

Not sure if it’s a study. Seems like self published anecdotal evidence

https://www.routledge.com/Lifestyle-Sports-and-Identities-Subcultural-Careers-Through-the-Life-Course/Dupont-Beal/p/book/9780367355999

Tldr no shit being social and active has benefits

nothing's been the since same

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1956

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
O'Connor wrote a book on skateboarding and religion, which was pretty cool and he's a part of the Pushing Boarders thing, so he usually is pretty good.

And, I think this isn't saying "OMG skateboarding makes someone happy, who would have guessed?" it is saying, "Of course skateboarding makes people happy, but let's look at the unique motivations and reasons older dudes skateboard [rather sit on their asses and watch football all day like most boring ass adults]."

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
O'Connor wrote a book on skateboarding and religion, which was pretty cool and he's a part of the Pushing Boarders thing, so he usually is pretty good.

And, I think this isn't saying "OMG skateboarding makes someone happy, who would have guessed?" it is saying, "Of course skateboarding makes people happy, but let's look at the unique motivations and reasons older dudes skateboard [rather sit on their asses and watch football all day like most boring ass adults]."
Exactly

"One reason could be because the measure of success in skateboarding is more fluid compared to other sports, and failure is seen as part of the activity."

Like this!

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
I doubt they took loosing 360 flips into account. That shit is straight up depressing…

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
Here to state a "study" with an N of 30 has no statistical significance.   At all. 

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
this is something ive been involved with for the last few years. some of it just makes sense especially if youve found skating to be therapeutic or a stress reliever. this is just a formal way to get funding for the project and help outsiders understand what skating can do.
my homie joel is leading the project, they have researched into the effects of skating different centers of the brain and are growing the project each year.

can someone help me with the embed?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Here to state a "study" with an N of 30 has no statistical significance.   At all.

I have a soft spot for qualitative research, especially ethnographic research (my undergrad degree was in a discipline that overlapped with anthropology).

The point of qualitative research (in the social sciences) isn't to find statistical significance but to develop theory, create ideas, and map out how life is lived, and so on. For ethnography, it shows all the ways that people live and offers depth into the various ways that people live rather than figuring out the percent of people who live in a certain fashion.

Some of the best social science studies were based on super small samples. They don't claim to be representative, but instead offer insight into the lives of different groups in society. In terms of ethnography, Code of the Streets, Street Corner Society, Wheeling and Dealing, Needed by Nobody, In Search of Respect, Cop in the Hood , and Manufacturing Consent are all amazing studies and super fun reads (even if they are depressing at times).

I feel some are reading this as a psychological study. I don't think this dude does psychology, I'm pretty sure he is a sociologist.

Note: I looked up the chapter... I'm not sure the papers says that skateboarding "boosts wellbeing" but instead shows how some people use skateboarding in middle-age. I think the website framed this in a way that is a bit misleading.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 03:26:25 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -766
I doubt they took loosing 360 flips into account. That shit is straight up depressing…
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Algar

• Rep: 28
I’d be much more curious to see what a study says about late thirty something’s that have gradually skated less and less with an accompanying declining skill level but the subjects do manage to spend an increasing amount of time on a niche, slightly antiquated forum revolving around skateboarding ….. curious what they would find?

But seriously a little jealous of people that dropped skating in their youth only to have this total “rediscovery of the joys of skating” while it’s kind of a grind for a lot of us that have stuck it out;  declining skill level, friends quitting, more responsibilities, gaining weight, staying motivated.  Yeah, skill levels probably higher if you didn’t quit but rediscovering your youth seems a lot funner than watching it slowly fade away.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1396
I’d be much more curious to see what a study says about late thirty something’s that have gradually skated less and less with an accompanying declining skill level but the subjects do manage to spend an increasing amount of time on a niche, slightly antiquated forum revolving around skateboarding ….. curious what they would find?

But seriously a little jealous of people that dropped skating in their youth only to have this total “rediscovery of the joys of skating” while it’s kind of a grind for a lot of us that have stuck it out;  declining skill level, friends quitting, more responsibilities, gaining weight, staying motivated.  Yeah, skill levels probably higher if you didn’t quit but rediscovering your youth seems a lot funner than watching it slowly fade away.

Damn dude, that's depressing haha.

I've skated consistently since the year 2000, and it's been good having a passion and something to keep me motivated and in shape, even if I suck.

The funny thing though is I don't see myself skating much in my 40s, since I'll have more responsibilities then (hope to raise a family soon). So it'll probably be hard to lose more tricks and not get out, but I'm sure I'll appreciate it even more at that time.

chrisskates808

you didn't stop skating because you got old, you got old because you stopped skating

Favorite quote from jay adams

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208

Until you discover slappies

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2000
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Expand Quote
[close]

Can't lose 360 flips, if you never had them to begin with

Kickflips on the other hand would suck to lose, every session is a struggle to hold on to them.

Expand Quote

[close]
Exactly

"One reason could be because the measure of success in skateboarding is more fluid compared to other sports, and failure is seen as part of the activity."

Like this!

A good session can be landing lots of tricks, learning new ones or having a chill one with friends. Regardless your life is better because of having done it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1267
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
rain makes the ground wet

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1420

idk man, sounds like you might benefit from a break??? Skating because it's a habit or solely as an identity piece or as something to do because you feel like you are required to for whatever reason, ain't no fun.

if you come back to it, you'll be doing it because it is fun...

Support your local skate shop

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558

I love it when you quote scripture.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1507
  • Illusion Flip

I rediscover my youth every time I step foot on my board and land anything. I'm actually happy to do whatever gets landed as I get closer to 50. Also, it's amazing that I can still skate when one of the more memorable articles I read in my early formative years was one on professional skaters from the 1970s like Alva and Peralta skateboarding in their 30s.

My main motivation for maintaining any degree of physical fitness is to continue doing this. The meditative state required to focus on the now mid-trick is irreplaceable to me.

LUGR

• Rep: 52
I was pretty happy skating yesterday until a scooter kid tail whipped his scooter to turn it around into my shin as I skated passed him.

Algar

• Rep: 28
Expand Quote

[close]

idk man, sounds like you might benefit from a break??? Skating because it's a habit or solely as an identity piece or as something to do because you feel like you are required to for whatever reason, ain't no fun.

if you come back to it, you'll be doing it because it is fun...

Yeah, honestly I am being a bit dramatic and still enjoy it and feel grateful that I’m still able to be getting joy from skating.  I have been riding a wide ass board lately and it’s helped me to rediscover skating, spots and parks too.

I think I mostly am a bit jealous of people that get to have that magic rediscovered at a point….but I still get that too, if I didn’t I would move on, I have other hobbies and interests and skating is still pretty fucking cool to me either way

dofrenzy

Me….telling my story…..again…..been thinking a lot about this over the past few days.

I skated very little as a kid but was stoked on PP skull and sword graphic.  When I saw it on Amazon in my 40’s along with skull and snake I bought one of each thinking I might skate.  I skated those boards *maybe* for a half-hour total over 5 years.  The boards just sat unused in my garage.

As my 50th approached I planned on re-learning running up a tree/wall/ utility pole and back flipping, but it felt weak and I knew it would be easy for me.  At the same time I was discovering that there were skate parks EVERYWHERE.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, on the day of my 50th I went to the skatepark to learn to drop in.  I had no business being near ramps with my skateboard, but some of you know already, and others will discover, mid-life is a big deal in the mind.  On that day all I achieved was a drop-in to a 4-ft incline ramp, and not gonna lie I had some tears in my eyes from the combo of fear and excitement as I got nearer to getting it.  Fucking shit was SUPER scary for me, but I was obsessed with this goal for some reason.  I did NOT drop into the QP that day.

It took about 3 more weeks to get a successful QP drop.  I got many slams at first, but when I got it, I did 4.  Then I pushed for a bit and got 4 more…..ultimately getting 16 drop-ins dialed in that day.  I expected a BIG rush of excitement once I accomplished my goal but it just wasn’t there.  Maybe a little bit of satisfaction but overall a I had a sense of something larger, looming over this accomplishment.

I realized that what was a HUGE goal for me, to drop-in to a QP, was really not a goal in the big scheme of things.  I discovered that what I had learned was a skill that would launch me into other tricks.  As if my goal of dropping in was like setting a goal of learning how to draw an arrow back in a bow.  I knew that what I needed now was a target and to let fly.

So I returned to the park, drew the arrow back, aimed at the bullseye of a rock-fakie and let the arrow fly.  I immediately FUCKED my lower back with my worst back injury EVER and could barely function as a human for 6 weeks.

Then I returned and got better at skating and then FUCKED both knees for 15 months.

My rock-fakie, however, is *divine*.  Totally worth it.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
  • Did someone say sassy?
Me….telling my story…..again…..been thinking a lot about this over the past few days.

I skated very little as a kid but was stoked on PP skull and sword graphic.  When I saw it on Amazon in my 40’s along with skull and snake I bought one of each thinking I might skate.  I skated those boards *maybe* for a half-hour total over 5 years.  The boards just sat unused in my garage.

As my 50th approached I planned on re-learning running up a tree/wall/ utility pole and back flipping, but it felt weak and I knew it would be easy for me.  At the same time I was discovering that there were skate parks EVERYWHERE.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, on the day of my 50th I went to the skatepark to learn to drop in.  I had no business being near ramps with my skateboard, but some of you know already, and others will discover, mid-life is a big deal in the mind.  On that day all I achieved was a drop-in to a 4-ft incline ramp, and not gonna lie I had some tears in my eyes from the combo of fear and excitement as I got nearer to getting it.  Fucking shit was SUPER scary for me, but I was obsessed with this goal for some reason.  I did NOT drop into the QP that day.

It took about 3 more weeks to get a successful QP drop.  I got many slams at first, but when I got it, I did 4.  Then I pushed for a bit and got 4 more…..ultimately getting 16 drop-ins dialed in that day.  I expected a BIG rush of excitement once I accomplished my goal but it just wasn’t there.  Maybe a little bit of satisfaction but overall a I had a sense of something larger, looming over this accomplishment.

I realized that what was a HUGE goal for me, to drop-in to a QP, was really not a goal in the big scheme of things.  I discovered that what I had learned was a skill that would launch me into other tricks.  As if my goal of dropping in was like setting a goal of learning how to draw an arrow back in a bow.  I knew that what I needed now was a target and to let fly.

So I returned to the park, drew the arrow back, aimed at the bullseye of a rock-fakie and let the arrow fly.  I immediately FUCKED my lower back with my worst back injury EVER and could barely function as a human for 6 weeks.

Then I returned and got better at skating and then FUCKED both knees for 15 months.

My rock-fakie, however, is *divine*.  Totally worth it.
This scares me. I'm 46, and have incorporated basically 90% low-impact tricks into my repertoire, but every once in a while I'll get a little frisky and try to repeat something I used to have on lock in my 20s… and fail miserably, like completely air ball. I couldn't afford to be laid up with an injury, so I feel like I'm consciously dialing down the difficulty. It's still fun but I'm wondering, Am I getting boring?

Brguy

I'm in my 20s and already got back pain, I doubt skateboarding is gonna bring me any happiness once I'm 40.