Author Topic: Skaters who have g.o.a.t skill but havent/didnt have a magnum opus part  (Read 12610 times)

DCLOVE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -518
Re: Skaters who have g.o.a.t skill but havent/didnt have a magnum opus part
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2021, 04:00:22 PM »
You guys are all crazy, the hell you want? Everyone else to have a total life dedication part like Reynolds in Stay Gold? Most of these guys just film normally, there isn't some "I'm gonna kill myself for this" thought for every skater, they just go along life filming whatever they think will look good at the time and that's it.

I feel you but we’re at a point where Instagram clips and actual parts for most these dudes aren’t that different in quality. Look at that Jack Olson part that just came out . Dude switch front blunt kf out skatepark rails all day but just drops a part of mediocre kickflip crooks. Or better example cause no one cares for Jack, Kader the kid obviously has insane skill but does boring Shit for parts. How can you switch back tail rails at stoner but not film Shit and be pro?

That’s the issue these days Instagram makes pros lazy cause the kids are satisfied with 45 second Instagram clips. We’re not saying kill yourself but at least put some thought into their output and have a lasting body of work. Which very little pros have these days.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2021, 05:42:30 PM »
Expand Quote
You guys are all crazy, the hell you want? Everyone else to have a total life dedication part like Reynolds in Stay Gold? Most of these guys just film normally, there isn't some "I'm gonna kill myself for this" thought for every skater, they just go along life filming whatever they think will look good at the time and that's it.
[close]

I feel you but we’re at a point where Instagram clips and actual parts for most these dudes aren’t that different in quality. Look at that Jack Olson part that just came out . Dude switch front blunt kf out skatepark rails all day but just drops a part of mediocre kickflip crooks. Or better example cause no one cares for Jack, Kader the kid obviously has insane skill but does boring Shit for parts. How can you switch back tail rails at stoner but not film Shit and be pro?

That’s the issue these days Instagram makes pros lazy cause the kids are satisfied with 45 second Instagram clips. We’re not saying kill yourself but at least put some thought into their output and have a lasting body of work. Which very little pros have these days.

We’re just missing the golden age of Transworld videos.   I don’t need a magnum opus, but a career defining part.   From Feedback to say Free your Mind, so many epic pros got a chance to put down an amazing part worthy of their legacy.   

bo bice

• Rep: 92
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2021, 08:19:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Jack’s part he just put out was for a indoor skatepark team video and he still went nuts. I don’t even love the guy but nollie flip crooks nollie 180 flip out in a line isn’t what I’d call throwaway. And if by kickflip crooks you’re referring to his ender fuck all the way off. That spot is no joke, no one’s flipped into anything on that before and him and Pat Gallagher are the only people who’ve taken something to fakie on that

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 56

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 541
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2021, 09:58:15 AM »
Sewa got posted on Mr. Handsdown’s ig less than two weeks ago.  Some might call that a magnum opus in itself.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107

Stantwuan

• Rep: 0
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2021, 11:22:49 AM »
Will Phan, he has only had one proper part and it was before his amazing style had fully developed

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -518
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2021, 02:48:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Jack’s part he just put out was for a indoor skatepark team video and he still went nuts. I don’t even love the guy but nollie flip crooks nollie 180 flip out in a line isn’t what I’d call throwaway. And if by kickflip crooks you’re referring to his ender fuck all the way off. That spot is no joke, no one’s flipped into anything on that before and him and Pat Gallagher are the only people who’ve taken something to fakie on that

I’m not even saying it wasn’t sick. I like Jack despite being the most white bread skater out he rips and half his Instagram shit is pretty gnarly switch grinds . I was expecting a little more. But it proves my point cause it didn’t even get three comments on here before it disappeared three pages back . We live in a time where skaters just have to post 45 second clips a few times a week  to get by.  Why destroy yourself if that’s all you need to keep your apartment another month
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Massivebellend

• Rep: -13
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2021, 03:11:04 PM »
Gustav?

Had a lot of good parts but nothing the absolute jaw-dropper we know he’s capable of

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2021, 03:24:23 PM »
Gustav?

Had a lot of good parts but nothing the absolute jaw-dropper we know he’s capable of
You have to be kidding. That reverb part was one of the best ever done. His sour solution part was up there too. He is golden

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2022, 05:13:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
luan and hot take ishod. don't think he's ever had a part that's fully showcased his skill
[close]

same with shane o neill
[close]
This is not true. The last few shane parts have been an epic showcase of his skills. He has a few magnum opus parts and possibly more in the future

he had amazing parts, yes. but we all know what he is capable of and that he could deliver a part that would be the end of all streetparts for a while.

he is for example for sure more skilled and technical then marc suciu is but impactwise what he put out so far lacked the "bang" that verso and so on had (no hate towards marc suciu, he is amazing imho).

same goes in comparison to marc johnsons parts. mj was without doubt one of the most talented and technical and still stylish skaters ever and most of his parts are amazing and some became timeless classics.
i just think that shane could deliver something "better" (for lack of a better word, but you know what I mean by that), that will have as much as or even more impact on skateboarding in general.

(PS: just a thought: imagine Shane filming exclusively with Jon Miner for one/two years)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:25:15 AM by BieberStance »

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2022, 07:03:20 AM »
Learn to skate fools
Oxymoron but atleast get Soty
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2022, 07:14:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
luan and hot take ishod. don't think he's ever had a part that's fully showcased his skill
[close]

same with shane o neill
[close]
This is not true. The last few shane parts have been an epic showcase of his skills. He has a few magnum opus parts and possibly more in the future
[close]

he had amazing parts, yes. but we all know what he is capable of and that he could deliver a part that would be the end of all streetparts for a while.

he is for example for sure more skilled and technical then marc suciu is but impactwise what he put out so far lacked the "bang" that verso and so on had (no hate towards marc suciu, he is amazing imho).

same goes in comparison to marc johnsons parts. mj was without doubt one of the most talented and technical and still stylish skaters ever and most of his parts are amazing and some became timeless classics.
i just think that shane could deliver something "better" (for lack of a better word, but you know what I mean by that), that will have as much as or even more impact on skateboarding in general.

(PS: just a thought: imagine Shane filming exclusively with Jon Miner for one/two years)

Mj arguably had 3: seven steps to heaven, modus, and fully flared.
The last three shane parts have been worthy, but i dont think he is done yet and may decide to give us another.

It is also different and more difficult to have a lasting part in this day and age as we’re inundated with constant footage. I would also say there is a huge difference between a magnum opus and a game changing part, since ive started skating there have only been 4 parts that changed skateboarding:
Pat duffy-questionable
Guy mariano- mouse
Jaime Thomas- welcome to hell
Pj ladd- pjwhl

Most amazing parts these days will never impact skateboarding like those did. Partly because of the times but also the level of innovation and the subsequent imitation by so many.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2022, 12:32:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

same with shane o neill
[close]
[close]

[close]

Mj arguably had 3: seven steps to heaven, modus, and fully flared.
The last three shane parts have been worthy, but i dont think he is done yet and may decide to give us another.

It is also different and more difficult to have a lasting part in this day and age as we’re inundated with constant footage. I would also say there is a huge difference between a magnum opus and a game changing part, since ive started skating there have only been 4 parts that changed skateboarding:
Pat duffy-questionable
Guy mariano- mouse
Jaime Thomas- welcome to hell
Pj ladd- pjwhl

Most amazing parts these days will never impact skateboarding like those did. Partly because of the times but also the level of innovation and the subsequent imitation by so many.

Rowley - sorry! Is a magnus opus part to me.   Multi-year labor of effort that perfectly encapsulates their career

GasStationGreenGoblin

• Rep: 1
« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2022, 01:34:42 PM »
Forrest Edwards

bonafidekook

• Rep: 6
« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2022, 03:11:29 PM »
Jerry Gurney

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2022, 03:14:14 PM »
rod james
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 15
« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2022, 05:09:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

We’re just missing the golden age of Transworld videos.   I don’t need a magnum opus, but a career defining part.   From Feedback to say Free your Mind, so many epic pros got a chance to put down an amazing part worthy of their legacy.

That’s a really good point. Transworld videos have had a lot of people’s best parts, from GOATs like Cardiel, Heath and arguably Carroll, to dudes like Dollin, Trainwreck (only full part?), and even Crob. In Bloom is my favourite PRod part too.

D10S

• Rep: -64
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2022, 05:09:28 PM »
Salman Agah
TNT
Tyshawn
Ronnie Creager

TheFandangler

• Rep: 15
« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2022, 05:16:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Luan
Wade desarmo
William phan
Travis stenger
Henry sanchez
Mccrank
[close]

I don‘t know this Stenger guy, but all the others have some of the most celebrated parts in skateboarding!
[close]

Henry only had the pack of lies part, it was awesome but far from the best he could have put out. Luan has zero celebrated parts. Wades footage is always a treat but he has yet to leave the mark he is capable of leaving and same with the rest. These are some of my favorite skaters ever but they never left a part displaying their full capabilities, whicch is what i would define as a magnum opus
[close]
Luan’s Push part is really good. I don’t know if it’s super famous but it’s a rad part

I’ve always really enjoyed his Strike and Destroy part.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2022, 06:16:42 PM »
Salman Agah
TNT
Tyshawn
Ronnie Creager

You don’t think TNT’s In Bloom part wasn’t his defining part (got him SOTY)

Creager may not have had THE part, but he had some pretty damn good parts along the way.   Round 2 and Menikmati work very well for me, but Menikmati hurts bc its literally “phoned in” and could have been so much more

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2022, 07:30:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Penny. He got robbed of his opus magnum because he injured his ankle jumping around on those boulders. Such a pity.
[close]

Is that true? Somehow I had never heard of that story. Always had thought/heard Penny was just a bit of a recluse and didn’t care to film much
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 07:59:33 PM by QUIT SINNIN »

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2022, 08:11:34 PM »
He's just a real life celebrity if u will, he'd rather live the safe life than his life control him & that's ok
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Scrotal_Recall

« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2022, 07:39:22 AM »
Jeremy Beadle

OwlGreen

• Rep: -128
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2022, 08:24:39 AM »
AO, Rick Howard

Scrotal_Recall

« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2022, 08:36:52 AM »
Remember TNT’s SOTY interview in thrasher - that sequence of the kickflip over the really long drive way - anyone got that? Think it might be at San Jose park?

Expand Quote
Salman Agah
TNT
Tyshawn
Ronnie Creager
[close]

Creager may not have had THE part, but he had some pretty damn good parts along the way.   Round 2 and Menikmati work very well for me, but Menikmati hurts bc its literally “phoned in” and could have been so much more

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2022, 08:44:55 AM »
Remember TNT’s SOTY interview in thrasher - that sequence of the kickflip over the really long drive way - anyone got that? Think it might be at San Jose park?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Salman Agah
TNT
Tyshawn
Ronnie Creager
[close]

[close]
Trilogy and what if were both magnum opus parts for creager.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2022, 11:01:10 AM »
Salman Agah
TNT
Tyshawn
Ronnie Creager
What the hell are you talking about?  Salman Agah had The Real Video.  Tyshawn had Blessed.  Both helped get them SOTY. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2022, 02:53:07 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Salman Agah
TNT
Tyshawn
Ronnie Creager
[close]

[close]
[close]
Trilogy and what if were both magnum opus parts for creager.

Round 2 always felt like his best because it worked so well with “Like A Rainbow” that it felt emotional for me

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2022, 03:13:16 PM »
Gustav?

I actually thought his reverb part was fucking incredible