Author Topic: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced  (Read 41318 times)

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 354
Re: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced
« Reply #240 on: April 27, 2022, 12:19:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure AF1's are poured at the same factory as Paris longboard trucks. They're owned by Joey Pulsifer who is tight with Joey and Shrewgy. If you look on Paris' website their trucks, especially their "street trucks" have the same looking alloy and bushings/washers. He was also one of the first "pilots" to have the AF1's when they were testing them out on his IG posts and whatnot. I think he turned them onto the "proprietary" formula and they went with it.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2022, 12:20:08 PM »
It’s a different factory I think…my classic 55’s are bulkier….finishing is way different….these are like a couple years old, so I don’t know if it’s a fair comparison.

Oh sorry, I somehow ignored the word "classics". Yeah AF1 are definitely different than classics.. But AF1 hangers are all the same

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #242 on: April 27, 2022, 12:31:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure AF1's are poured at the same factory as Paris longboard trucks. They're owned by Joey Pulsifer who is tight with Joey and Shrewgy. If you look on Paris' website their trucks, especially their "street trucks" have the same looking alloy and bushings/washers. He was also one of the first "pilots" to have the AF1's when they were testing them out on his IG posts and whatnot. I think he turned them onto the "proprietary" formula and they went with it.

That's probably a sure bet, looking at some Paris trucks (longboard trucks, not their street offerings which look more pitted) the finish is right on:

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #243 on: April 27, 2022, 12:39:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's probably a sure bet, looking at some Paris trucks (longboard trucks, not their street offerings which look more pitted) the finish is right on:

Good call! I remember someone name checking Pulsifer as being a person that was in the know on quality truck manufacturing process, in relation to Ace. Didn’t know he was involved with Paris tho.

As to the above person mentioning dm’ing ace and getting confirmation: them ace boys kinda cooked. I feel like they just say stuff. Kinda like I’m doing rn. Difference being I’m some internet kook and they are company owners. I remember some comment where it was maybe Joey? Made it sound like the classic and af-1 had the same geometry. Nah. Shit my ace 55 classics seem like a different geo than my ace 44 classics were. Basing that off of me not being able to put a truck tool on the 55 kingpin nut due to the proximity of the hanger to the kingpin, the feeling that the bushings have always been significantly tighter on the 55s, and feeling that I have a much better ollie/flip tricks on the 55s, despite them being way outside my comfort zone size wise.
Anyways, carry on

logjammin

• Rep: 354
« Reply #244 on: April 27, 2022, 12:46:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep, even the goldish kingpins look identical.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #245 on: April 27, 2022, 03:12:31 PM »
If they announce inverted kingpins……we should be worried…..

Frank and Fred

« Reply #246 on: April 27, 2022, 03:35:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is correct.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #247 on: April 27, 2022, 03:56:08 PM »
They have great kingpin clearance by the way, which is crazy for a 49 mm truck.
Even better than the regular af1.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #248 on: April 27, 2022, 04:36:56 PM »

I think it only looks better because they come with some thread showing instead of the nut sitting flush.
But it's definitely not worse than on the standards, loving it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #249 on: April 27, 2022, 05:23:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it only looks better because they come with some thread showing instead of the nut sitting flush.
But it's definitely not worse than on the standards, loving it.

It's crazy how much clearance they have.

But yeah, almost a full two threads showing as stock and most are going to want to crank them bad boys down out of the box. Mine are still not showing any signs of firming up, quite the opposite.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #250 on: April 27, 2022, 06:06:04 PM »
I put them side by side, baseplate up. The lows had more lean the the regulars.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: April 27, 2022, 06:29:39 PM »
I put them side by side, baseplate up. The lows had more lean the the regulars.

In, out, left, right?

The yoke looks like it pitches down towards the fat part of the baseplate (where the kingpin is), is that what you mean?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: April 27, 2022, 07:43:45 PM »
They torque so far inward that it seems like they’d be less inclined to wheelbite……

I’m not counting on it though…..

Fun truck…it’s a bit weird feeling like you are always engaged in a turn but I don’t think they held me back.  I’m interested to try to do a bunch of manuals….

Coming off ventures….these grind wayyyyy better….

manysnakes

« Reply #253 on: April 27, 2022, 09:09:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This got me looking at the Paris website, where I see that Paris sells the same skate tool as Ace (for $8 less).

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: April 27, 2022, 09:42:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This got me looking at the Paris website, where I see that Paris sells the same skate tool as Ace (for $8 less).

Same kit for sure, but $8 more and you get kingpin and axle re-threaders built in with that ACE tool.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #255 on: April 27, 2022, 10:19:25 PM »
I set mine up with some orangatangs……

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 173
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #256 on: April 27, 2022, 11:35:49 PM »
I set mine up with some orangatangs……
O-Tangs lay the most sugary 'thane

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2022, 04:52:45 AM »
As to the above person mentioning dm’ing ace and getting confirmation: them ace boys kinda cooked. I feel like they just say stuff.

Their answer: AF1 hangers are AF1 hangers - low baseplate for the option.

eSK3

« Reply #258 on: April 28, 2022, 05:54:56 AM »
I’m super stoked on my set after about six hours still clicking but that’s my only complaint. I like them to the point I may order another set to have as a back up…

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2022, 06:21:07 AM »
Still clicking for me too.  Also one of the brand new bolts fell off twice in a session making me have to chase my wheel around the park. Had to put it on backwards for it to stay on. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2022, 06:30:33 AM »
What’s worse pouring trucks in China/not Ermico or at a longboard factory?

manysnakes

« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2022, 06:31:58 AM »
I don't know about the AF1s, because I haven't skated them, but with my old Ace, when they started clicking, I took them apart and rubbed some wax against the place where the cup for the bushing met with the baseplate, and that would resolve it until the wax wore away after a few months.

bryan

• Rep: 26
« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2022, 09:19:19 AM »
So far so good, stock setup I had clicking both tight or loose but it doesn't bother me.

I'm a husky guy so I was wheelbiting on hard turns or leaned front truck turns, normal turns were ok on stock bushings + 51mm wheels. Due to physics, more of an issue on my 55 low + loveseat, less of an issue on 44 low + 8.25. Still less wheelbite than on thunder 147 (which are lower than 148+), but way better turning than thunder + venture low stock or modified.

Unpopular opinion = Not a fan of the mushy bottom bushing.

Recently replaced the bottom bushing + washer with a bones hard bushing, no more clicking, no more wheelbite. Still turns well due to soft top bushing. Normal people who get too much bite may want to go medium bottom + soft top.

YMMV

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2022, 09:28:55 AM »
What’s worse pouring trucks in China/not Ermico or at a longboard factory?

Who cares.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2022, 11:20:20 AM »
Yah to me these feel like Aces answer to thunders…and I think it’s a pretty good job....the clicking is a bit there but that’s not grossly different than a lot of new trucks.  Honestly most stock set ups I’m not that psyched on….it’s likely me.

They do the quick nollie pop like a thunder, they twitch like a thunder but you can carve a complete circle in a parking stall like an ace….

The one thing that weirds me out is they make your nose/tail so much longer….I like that in a nose…not sure how I feel about it on the tail. 

I question if I can hang with them because you’re never passively rolling…..maybe I’ll get used to it.

These trucks I think are more or less engineered for Spanky……that’s how I see it.

Re factory? I guarantee if Lurpiv went to these guys they wouldn’t be where they are…….

manysnakes

« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2022, 11:37:43 AM »
Re factory? I guarantee if Lurpiv went to these guys they wouldn’t be where they are…….

All this anti-Sino sentiment is so baffling, like 75% of the things you use every day and which work perfectly are not also made in China. Like people in China aren't capable of performing the basic task of pouring the metal for a truck, and if they failed all the time, that a company like Independent wouldn't just find another casting company. I can remember the same thing about Japanese products, and now we regard Japanese products with the same reverence we do for German - it's shorthand for expertly made.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 01:41:25 PM by manysnakes »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2022, 12:11:02 PM »
Thanks boomer…..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2022, 12:37:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All this anti-Sino sentiment is so baffling, like 75% of the things you use every day and which would perfectly are not also made in China. Like people in China aren't capable of performing the basic task of pouring the metal for a truck, and if they failed all the time, that a company like Independent wouldn't just find another casting company. I can remember the same thing about Japanese products, and now we regard Japanese products with the same reverence we do for German - it's shorthand for expertly made.

It's irritating...someone has to bring up China-made all the time (in this case someone who rides/prefers Indy/Mindys...)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: April 28, 2022, 01:25:04 PM »
Try being Chinese…..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: April 28, 2022, 02:08:33 PM »
I’m always curious about the made in China folks…would they date someone from China?